• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. It's out there. Let's just burn this whole thing down while we're here.

I'm with you on that.

Trump has saved America from another neocon Bush and is about to eliminate the Cuban version of W.

Trump is destroying the Republican Party.... AND THAT IS A GOOD THING

Trump's rhetoric is essentially saying it's okay to be hateful, to be prejudiced, and to hurt those who disagree with you. That is not the kind of thing we need when we're already politically polarized as hell. He's using that polarization to his advantage and appealing to the worst in people. That's not good.

Personally I'll be voting in the Democratic primary. Partly that's because I don't want to interfere in another party's nomination and partly because there's a lot of down ballot races. In Chicago the Democratic primary is the "real" election for a lot of races.

PBY

Banned
Trump's rhetoric is essentially saying it's okay to be hateful, to be prejudiced, and to hurt those who disagree with you. That is not the kind of thing we need when we're already politically polarized as hell.
But do you see what's happening? Both republicans and dems are vocally standing against it and labeling it as dangerous. Before, those thoughts were actually implicitly supported and encouraged by a major party.
When was the last time the GOP honestly addressed racism?

But do you see what's happening? Both republicans and dems are vocally standing against it and labeling it as dangerous. Before, those thoughts were actually implicitly supported and encouraged by a major party.
When was the last time the GOP honestly addressed racism?
Denouncing overt racism is easy. Giving it a voice is the worst.

I don't understand the glee among certain Democrats over the Trump nomination.

You have the unleashing of a demagogic force openly based on xenophobic and racist hate. This force doesn't disappear even if Trump loses. Yes, the Republican Party, including Romney, has huge responsibility for cynically exploiting this force for many years, but this is clearly a whole new level.

PBY

Banned

You have the unleashing of a demagogic force openly based on xenophobic and racist hate. This force doesn't disappear even if Trump loses. Yes, the Republican Party, including Romney, has huge responsibility for cynically exploiting this force for many years, but this is clearly a whole new level.
I mean.. Does Cruz have any views on race that are that different from Trump? Trump is just shoving the implications of those views in broad light for the country to see.

They already have built something. It's been a (barely) hidden pillar of the republican party for decades.

I mean.. Does Cruz have any views on race that are that different from Trump? Trump is just shoving the implications of those views in broad light for the country to see.

Let me put it differently then. If you care about what the Democratic Party supposedly stands for, and not just getting Hillary Clinton elected in 2016, then I think you are very likely to regret your glee.

And I don't see the value in "exposing" the Republican id. It has long been obvious. The fact that it has been upgraded from dogwhistles to open appeals is not an encouraging development.

gcubed

Nah. I think we'll see that the west coast is to Bernie what the deep south is to Hillary. Not by quite the same margins, but I expect double digit victories in each one.

CA will be the closest, though, certainly.

And there's no way in hell Bernie wins Oregon by a lower margin than he won Kansas. Oregon is liberal Kansas.

Edit - I should add that this assumes at least the illusion of a competitive primary by the time these states vote.

thats umm... quite the theory on California if you ignore basically the entire state besides the bay area.

He's not winning California.

Oregon will be 100% Bernie.

Rubio's going to sweep all the territories, and DC. Along with Minnesota it'll be an amazing coalition that we haven't seen since Mondale. He might even outdo Walter by taking Hawaii too.

thats umm... quite the theory on California if you ignore basically the entire state besides the bay area.

He's not winning California.

Oregon will be 100% Bernie.

If you are optimistic Bernie wins California by a small margin.

I haven't seen a coherent path to the nomination for Sanders that doesn't involve a major Clinton scandal/indictment

wouldn't the Republican Party be better off be splintering and eliminated the hateful element within the party and just become a mainstream party again?

Nixon planted this seed 50 years ago and they prodded at this for 5 decades. Trump is their creation in full form.

User 406

Banned

17ywajoyw5pxcjpg.jpg

I'm still vaguely shocked that that actually happened.

The man is orange.

While we have had Orange-Americans as high up as Speaker of the House, for the first time we might potentially have two Orange-Americans as candidates for a major political party's Presidential nominee. We are witnessing history.

Why would they want to otherwise fracture the party like that? Only reason I can think of is if they prefer the quick death of the party over the slow death of demographic changes.

That's the big question. I think Trump has already done irreparable damage to the GOP in the short-term because now the nationalist/populist/nativist core that the GOP attracted via the Southern Strategy want to fully take the controls of the party. There is going to be some serious infighting over the next four to eight years as they try to shove out the free-market, small government true believers who are struggling to keep their place as the heads of the party.

I think long term and even medium turn planning is simply a luxury that the GOP establishment no longer has. Their power is slipping away, and they're clinging hard to it, no matter how self-destructive that clinging turns out to be. The good of the party was only important to them as long they were the party, and they may not be the party for much longer.

I thought McConnell's instantaneous refusal to even talk to an SC nominee was a good example of this survival reflex. People were baffled at the "strategy", but there's no strategy involved at all, just a desperate instinct to get out in front of anything Obama says or does to demonstrate to their increasingly enraged voters just how much they hate Obama too. All the Tea Party candidate primary successes has them running scared, and they no longer have enough grip on things to care about optics or hypocrisy. Every choice in front of them now is die now or die later.

Dem debates are an utter waste of time at this point.

I consider modern debates to be entirely free of substance, but at least the GOP debates embrace that lack of substance. GOP debates are like political rap battles without the rhymes.

Lack of substance? If you wanted a link to the Loaded Lux vs Calicoe video, you could have just asked. :p

Kasich should wear a debt clock around his neck, that would be awesome.

Kasich could let a clock hang from his prolapsed butthole mouth without it slipping.

Hey Poligaf. Long-time lurker here saying hi from Mississippi.

I think the state's pretty much expected to go to Trump. Though oddly, there's been a group of Cruz supporters out with signs every now and then near where I work for the past couple of weeks. It'll be interesting to see if Cruz closes late like he did in Louisiana. I don't expect Marco to do well at all; even before the recent collapse, I never saw much enthusiasm for him.

Also there's a Trump rally tomorrow near my hometown. Came home for the weekend and I convinced my bosses to let me stay a day and cover it for work since I work for a paper in northeast Mississippi. I'm so excited to see the madness up close.

I absentee voted for Trump yesterday since I expect Hillary is going to bludgeon Bernie on the Dem side anyway

Holmes

Rubio winning Puerto Rico in a landslide isn't surprising at all because the establishment candidate always wins it by a landslide. And he was in the state just as recently as yesterday. And he's latino.

NeoXChaos

Hey Poligaf. Long-time lurker here saying hi from Mississippi.

I think the state's pretty much expected to go to Trump. Though oddly, there's been a group of Cruz supporters out with signs every now and then near where I work for the past couple of weeks. It'll be interesting to see if Cruz closes late like he did in Louisiana. I don't expect Marco to do well at all; even before the recent collapse, I never saw much enthusiasm for him.

Also there's a Trump rally tomorrow near my hometown. Came home for the weekend and I convinced my bosses to let me stay a day and cover it for work since I work for a paper in northeast Mississippi. I'm so excited to see the madness up close.

I absentee voted for Trump yesterday since I expect Hillary is going to bludgeon Bernie on the Dem side anyway

bludgeon? he may not even qualify.

Gruco

Banned
I don't know how you can look at the demographics of California and say that it's Bernie territory.

1) Not in the south
2) Not a red state.

Checkmate, $hillary.

That said, Washington is an open caucus with 101 delegates at stake. Not insane to imagine Bernie picking up 50+ from it. Of course, he will have a gap of over 300 to make up by then. Washington will probably be Bernie's best performance.

Clinton believes the email situation is close to wrapping up.

“I think we’re getting closer and closer to wrapping this up,” Clinton said in an interview on CBS.

Former State staffer Bryan Pagliano has accepted an offer of immunity from FBI investigators in exchange for doing an interview and providing information about the private server.

Administration officials generally use government servers, in part so that classified communiques can be protected and all official messages can be archived. The law enforcement agency has been asking for an interview with Pagliano for months now as they search through Clinton’s emails to determine if there was misuse or abuse.

Though Clinton maintains a strong lead over Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders in the Democratic primary for the presidential nomination, the unresolved investigation hangs over her prospects for a strong run against the eventual Republican nominee in the fall.

Speaking with host John Dickerson on "Face the Nation," Clinton was upbeat. She said she believes “we’ll be moving toward a resolution of this.”

“We need to get it sorted out and then take action from there,” Clinton said.

Those aren't the words of someone who's scared.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I really really hate the Maine-Nebraska system. It's bad enough that we gerrymander the House of Representatives; we don't need to gerrymander the presidency as well.

From a purely self-interested standpoint it also pretty consistently benefits Republicans. Most notably, it would have thrown the 2012 election to Romney, 274-264. But I think it's a bad system regardless.
Well gerrymandering is a problem to itself I would definitely want fixed before it was implemented.

We shouldn't be purely looking at self interest. It sucks that many votes for President don't matter due to winner-take-all. I think the primaries and caucuses this year show how much proportional or congressional district allocation makes a difference. Otherwise this would be the breakdown right now:

Trump: 526
Cruz: 319
Rubio: 38

Clinton: 1,031
Sanders: 338
What's interesting to me is the "National Popular Vote" system proposed by FairVote:

So in this way, you could have the state's electors choose the president based on the popular vote instead of the electoral college, and it's actually within the constitution to do so. Isn't that something?
The main problem with a national popular vote IMO is then it makes smaller states have even less influence. It would simply switch resources to all the largest states instead of swing states. A system that mimics Congress seems like the best compromise.

GuyKazama

I know how delegates are picked in caucuses like Iowa, but how are delegates generally picked for primaries? Can it be generally assumed that the delegates are generally very loyal to the candidate they're bound to?

I believe any registered party member can apply to be a delegate. I applied to be a delegate in California for Trump. They ask for bio and a photo, and will then send the application to the Trump campaign for selection. Depending on the campaign, they may interview or run background checks, but that is the extent of it from what I can tell.

Iolo

it's interesting, back when that guy was last asked to testify and invoked his fifth amendment rights instead, the Clinton campaign was pushing him to testify to clear this stuff up, because invoking just made them look bad. now that he's finally got immunity and agreed to testify, the media is looking for a story, when that's what they wanted in the first place!

I don't think there are enough rural whites/Berkleys/north-of-the-10 LA areas to deliver CA to Bernie.

I could very well be proven wrong, but my experience has shown that black and hispanic people in CA are not the same constituency as those in Louisiana or Alabama. I don't think we'll see Bernie struggle with black people in California the way he does in the deep south. I'm not saying he'll win the black vote in the state, but I would expect something closer to a 60-40 margin in Hillary's favor rather than 80-20.

Holmes

I could very well be proven wrong, but my experience has shown that black and hispanic people in CA are not the same constituency as those in Louisiana or Alabama. I don't think we'll see Bernie struggle with black people in California the way he does in the deep south. I'm not saying he'll win the black vote in the state, but I would expect something closer to a 60-40 margin in Hillary's favor rather than 80-20.
The nomination will be settled by then. There will be no reason for anyone but die-hard Sanders supporters and people who dislike Clinton to vote for him.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm with you on that.

Trump has saved America from another neocon Bush and is about to eliminate the Cuban version of W.

Trump is destroying the Republican Party.... AND THAT IS A GOOD THING

Except, in Cruz, we may get the republicans' artifically created version of who they fake Reagan to be. I'd much rather have Rubio in the White House.

Trump's rhetoric is essentially saying it's okay to be hateful, to be prejudiced, and to hurt those who disagree with you. That is not the kind of thing we need when we're already politically polarized as hell. He's using that polarization to his advantage and appealing to the worst in people. That's not good.

From my perspective, the dogwhistle racism of the right was just as hurtful to me as Trump's open racism, with the added detriment of the right being able to deny their racism in a way that many people took as credible.

Trump is forcing people to confront the fact that, actually, the United States is still pretty fuckin' racist, and at the same time, it's driving people away from the GOP and ripping the party apart.

From my view as a black person, I don't see a difference between Trump, Cruz, Rubio, or Kasich when it comes to racism other than that Trump is open about his racist rhetoric, which has detrimental consequences to the racist party that he's a spokesperson for.

I agree that Trump is a dangerous demagogue. My thing is - so is everyone else running for president on the GOP side. In that case, I'll "root" for the guy who brings that racism to light and allows the opposition party to take greater control of Congress and the courts in the process.

NeoXChaos

Obama won CA blacks 78-18 in 2008. Hillary won Latinos CA 67-32. Obama's lead among AA's never changed much in any state with them. I expect the same for Hillary.

FL 08 blacks went for Obama 73-23. Latinos Hillary 59-30 etc etc etc

gcubed

your whole argument is hinging on white people unequivocally supporting Sanders? Have you ever lived in CA? Just because you hear about the liberal bastion of SF or Berkley, the state is gigantic, and isn't *THAT* liberal. The state as a whole is very centrist.

We shouldn't be purely looking at self interest. It sucks that many votes for President don't matter due to winner-take-all. I think the primaries and caucuses this year show how much proportional or congressional district allocation makes a difference. Otherwise this would be the breakdown right now:

Well, as I said I think it's a bad system regardless of self-interest, but it is hard to ignore how Maine-Nebraska favors Republicans. Even if I ignore my political preferences though, I can't look at a system that gives Romney the win in 2012 and say it's an improvement.

your whole argument is hinging on white people unequivocally supporting Sanders? Have you ever lived in CA? Just because you hear about the liberal bastion of SF or Berkley, the state is gigantic, and isn't *THAT* liberal. The state as a whole is very centrist.

Ever? It's where I currently live.

Holmes said:
Well the state primary is on that day too for Senate and Representatives, so turnout won't be down compared to other states voting that day that only have the Presidential primary.

Good point.

While you're probably right in the black constituencies not necessarily being akin to voters in LA or AL. The black constituencies in MI and IL are similarly probably dissimilar and yet they're still going for Clinton at margins around 76-21 and 63-23 respectively in recent polls.

From a further check Ohio was also 76-21 in a recent poll.

Iolo

Well, this is pretty easily testable, and we don't even have to wait until June: we'll just have to look at the black vote in MI, FL, OH and IL on March 8 and March 15.

FWIW Charles M Blow made a similar argument to yours a couple weeks ago.

Rubio with all 23. Go go go.

As Yglesais says:Rubio is weak in states, but strong in non-states. Beyond Puerto Rico, I’m bullish on him in DC & the Northern Marianas.

Lol

gcubed

Ever? It's where I currently live.

Good point.

as do i. Besides Norcal, the rest of the state is not exactly Bernies demographic. By the time CA votes it'll basically be mathematically over anyway, which will also bump Clintons numbers, but CA wasn't going to give Bernie a win no matter what.

gcubed

when is it mathematically over?

I mean, do you think Bernie winning every state after the 15th 80-20 is still a viable path to the nomination, i guess there is always a chance.

If Clinton racks up a 15+ point win here and there in MI / IL or FL .... there really is no viable path forward for him

Problem?

That's the point.

This too. Popular vote treats all voters equally, the Electoral College somewhat favors rural voters, and Maine-Nebraska would make the Electoral College completely screw over urban voters. I think it's more important to treat votes equally than it is to try and change where candidates will campaign, especially since there is no system that won't incentivize concentrating resources in certain areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom