• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT2| we love the poorly educated

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to NPR's tracker, Sanders will come out with 65 delegates to Hillary's 58 in Michigan. He needed 67 to still be on track for the nomination.

I'm now going to sleep and when I wake up I expect articles about how despite Sanders winning Michigan, Hillary's going to get more delegates from the state.

Clinton won 57-41 among Democrats in that exit poll. That's close to the overall polling. Maybe they were screening out too many independents?

EDIT: Yep in one case.

Mitchell's poll had 90% Democrats in their sample, 9% independents.

Mitchell should know fucking better, we always get like 30% independent turnout. Never let him on the air again Skubick!

We will hear from pollsters. This might have been the issue along with Sanders better performance among AA voters.

Cerium

Wow Trump is fucking killing it in Hawaii.

With 13% reporting it's Trump 42.1%, Lyin' Ted 27.9%, Lil' Marco 14.7%, Kasich 14.1%.

My guess is that the Hawaiian sense of independence and outsider status led them to Trump over the establishment. The margins Obama won by in Hawaii were abnormal due to the fact that he's seen as one of them; in previous years it was never that liberal.

pigeon

Banned
Wow Trump is fucking killing it in Hawaii.

With 13% reporting it's Trump 42.1%, Lyin' Ted 27.9%, Lil' Marco 14.7%, Kasich 14.1%.

My guess is that the Hawaiian sense of independence and outsider status led them to Trump over the establishment. The margins Obama won by in Hawaii were abnormal due to the fact that he's seen as one of them; in previous years it was never that liberal.

Most people in Hawaii don't consider themselves independent or outsiders. Mainlanders might view them that way! And obviously sovereignty supporters aren't going to vote in the GOP primary.

Hawaii wasn't ever that liberal even with Obama, it's just really democratic and full of minorities. But it doesn't have the same history as continental America and politics are still machiney.

Also, I mean, just to make sure it's clear to everybody, if Oahu hasn't reported than Hawaii hasn't reported.

Makai

Please tell me the 22% in refers to the precincts and not voters. How can they have 19 delegates if only like 1000 people vote?

The rounding rules in Hawaii favor the winner, so a nice margin in each of the two congressional districts will net Trump some extra delegates.

The key to the allocation of the Hawaii congressional district delegates is in the rounding. Just as above, fractional delegates will be rounded up to the nearest whole number. If a candidate receives more than one-third of the vote in a congressional district, then that candidate will round up to two delegates in that district. The remaining delegate would be left to the candidate in second place in that district. If no candidate clears that 33.3% threshold in a congressional district, however, then the top three candidates would all be allocated one delegate.
So if Trump gets more than 33% in each district, that'd be 4 of the 6 congressional delegates.

And whoever is in 4th could be shut out.

I mean, which of the Republican candidates do you think has a platform more relevant to people living in Hawaii?

The turnout of a whopping ~5,000 people says none of them, of course. It's still kind of ridiculous that Republican Hawaiian voters are apparently concerned about Mexican immigrants sneaking into Honolulu.

Wilsongt

Hillary might as well drop out of the race now, give her delegates to Bernie, and hand over the keys to the white house to Trump. I bet the BernieBros are cumming all over the place tonight.

Hillary might as well drop out of the race now, give her delegates to Bernie, and hand over the keys to the white house to Trump. I bet the BernieBros are cumming all over the place tonight.

I'm not sure if this is facetious or not, but I think a serious case could be made that, against Trump, Bernie is the stronger choice. Minority groups are going to vote against Trump regardless, so the easier victory is probably with the candidate who does better with working class white voters.

I don't think it's even necessarily that it "trumps" (can't even think of this word without thinking of Big Don now) social justice but that it's seen as a critical element of social justice for a lot of youth voters.

To add on, even though a lot of folks criticize Sanders as a "single-issue" candidate, I've noticed sometimes that people seem to forget that concepts like intersectionality include class issues. And on those issues, single-payer health care, taxpayer-funded tuition, guaranteed paid leave, $15 min wage, etc. and other European-style policies speak much more directly to that kind of intersectionality in comparison to Hillary's platform.

Economics in and of themselves don't solve racism or sexism, but the type of "cultural" sexism associated with Hillary and glass ceilings for example is still way different than the "economic" sexism involved with a single mom working minimum wage unable to take time off from work to raise her kids the way she wants. While both situations are obviously not ideal, it wouldn't surprise me if the latter person would much prefer to be in the former situation...

Cerium

Ted Cruz as a compromise candidate brehs.

Republican elites are begrudgingly embracing Ted Cruz—and hanging Marco Rubio out to dry.

Panicked at Donald Trump’s dominance and dismayed by Rubio’s continued inability to do anything about it, some top Republican power brokers are turning to Cruz, putting aside their policy and personal misgivings to back the candidate they now openly label as their best hope to stop Trump’s GOP takeover.

“He seems to be the only guy who’s got some momentum, and is probably the best situated if there is anybody out there to beat Trump,” said Austin Barbour, a prominent Mississippi-based GOP operative. “That’s why there are many people like me—Ted Cruz wouldn’t have been our first choice, but as we go through the process, we’re reevaluating our vote, and he seems to be the guy at the top of the list.”

“Most people now think Ted’s the best vehicle to defeat Trump,” said Charles C. Foster, a Bush family loyalist from Houston who served on Jeb Bush’s national finance team. “I would say some are enthusiastic for Ted, some are just saying, ‘OK, Ted’s not my first choice, but anyone that can beat Trump, I’ll support.’”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom