• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
South Carolina!?

What's next, Texas is a battleground state?

Now-cast Trump wins by 3 in Texas.

So yes.

At this point, are the debates really necessary?

Wow
Ed O'Keefe ‏@edatpost 5m5 minutes ago
Florida's GOP spokesman quits in hopes of "avoiding efforts that support Donald Trump."

Remember: Trump needs 40%+ of the Hispanic vote in Florida to win.

South Carolina!?

What's next, Texas is a battleground state?

hcqmhZf.gif

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
That Monmouth poll is near brutality for Trump. The LV screen basically concludes that Hillary's daunting lead with minorities is baked in and Trump's biggest loss is coming from white women with college degree. Romney won them in 2012 by 6 points, but Trump is trailing them by 20.

I don't think there is anything Trump can do at this point to change College Educated numbers. That chance is gone, and combined with his numbers with minorities, his chance at winning.

Diablos

I mean, I actually do think PA is Trump's best chance at a swing state. It's not a good chance. It's a shitty chance. But, still.
Uh. No. You can put OH, IA, FL, NV... hell, just about any other swing state ahead of PA.

to call PA a swing state in the GE is to not have an understanding of the demographics.

I'm more worried about McGinty being such a cookie cutter candidate and being up only 2 points against Toomey, a complete shithead who wouldn't have stood a chance if not for the 2010 tea party wave.

DNC should have been kinder to Sestak and backed him instead.

I mean, hypothetically speaking.....:p

Oh, you! :p

That Monmouth poll is near brutality for Trump. The LV screen basically concludes that Hillary's daunting lead with minorities is baked in and Trump's biggest loss is coming from white women with college degree. Romney won them in 2012 by 6 points, but Trump is trailing them by 20.

We really are going to win by a potential landslide, aren't we?

I don't think there is anything Trump can do at this point to change College Educated numbers. That chance is gone, and combined with his numbers with minorities, his chance at winning.

Is there any historical data on when people tend to make up their minds? I'm wondering if we can tell how fixed people's opinions are by group. Which electoral groups tend to change their minds more often, etc?

I'd say maybe five points.

McCaskill and Donnelly were aberrations due to weak opponents. Tester benefited from a third party candidate. Manchin never faced any serious opposition. Heitkamp might be the example the GOP would want to follow, but ND is also one of the more elastic states, correct?

I could see Portman and maybe Rubio winning in spite of a Clinton landslide, but I think Johnson, Kirk, Ayotte and Toomey are dead men (+woman) walking.

Yeah, Heitkamp is obviously is the model to follow for Republicans, but she seems particularly fantastic at what she did. She's also a lot more dynamic than most other Senate candidates. I dunno, that feels like something that may not be easily replicated.

Brinbe

I really think this is a solidified lead at this point, at least until the debates. With the Olympics going on and the summer coming to an end, people have tuned out again with their mind made up.

lol on the nowcast, she's up bigger in GA than he is in TX. Maaaaaaaaaan, so close to shutting them out in the EC for the foreseeable future. Their path to 270 is treacherous.

mo60

If it looks likely that SC will go to the dems in a few months I think it will be interesting to see if hilary winning that state has any effect on the senate and house races there.

teiresias

I agree with how someone said this is a solidified lead since the election is now "real" to people following the conventions. It just so happens Trump absolutely shit the bed just as the election was becoming "real" to a large swathe of the electorate, and that's going to be a hard thing to unbake. I'm still skeptical we'll end up in November at anywhere near these kinds of GE leads, but if we are, OMG, I will literally die from dehydration through osmosis given all the salt that evening from the GOP election party.

Question now is . . . how much longer does the GOP hold the Garland nomination hostage?

I mean eventually we are going to have to pay it back right?

i mean, t-bonds get "paid back" to their holders 10-30 years after their issuance by default

This thread has a problem, and yes, I'm implicating you, with giving MMT responses to questions that have widely accepted answers in neo Keynesian economics.

No debt isn't a problem. This is because of debt to gdp ratio, which historically isn't too high, and globally pales compared to Japan. So if Japan hasn't exploded, with like 200% debt/gdp, why should we, when people trust American debt more than its Japanese counterpart.

Anything anyone says about printing money and using taxes to slow down inflation is spitting unproven fringe economics. They don't think interest rates have any effect on inflation because of straight IS/LM curves. That means they're crazy.

+1

Kid Heart

538 now has AZ dem lean on polls only and SC lean on now cast

Trump now sub 5% win chance on now

Woah. Originally I thought there was no chance of a landslide even with Trump as the nominee, but if this holds true until the end of August I might just have to change my mind.

If it looks likely that SC will go to the dems in a few months I think it will be interesting to see if hilary winning that state has any effect on the senate and house races there.

I believe there's an SC seat that Dems are targeting aggressively as a sleeper seat. SC-03?

Clinton winning the white college educated women vote by 30% (which Romney won by 6%). We may have a new Democratic constituency.
Just wait: Republicans will claim Democrats want to have free college education/make college affordable simply so they can grow their base of voters, just like how they want amnesty for illegal immigrants. There will then be a GOP led backlash against college.

I agree with how someone said this is a solidified lead since the election is now "real" to people following the conventions. It just so happens Trump absolutely shit the bed just as the election was becoming "real" to a large swathe of the electorate, and that's going to be a hard thing to unbake. I'm still skeptical we'll end up in November at anywhere near these kinds of GE leads, but if we are, OMG, I will literally die from dehydration through osmosis given all the salt that evening from the GOP election party.
It's real in the sense that the fundamentals are not going to change barring a surprise of course. Maybe she'll lose a couple of points and Trump will gain a few, but the trend probably wont change. Whats more difficult for Trump is that one of the recent polls suggested that the undecided pool is mostly lean H.

teiresias

Just wait: Republicans will claim Democrats want to have free college education so they can grow their base of voters, just like how they want amnesty for illegal immigrants. There will then be a GOP led backlash against college.

How dare Democrats support policies that help people to get them to vote for them.

Question now is . . . how much longer does the GOP hold the Garland nomination hostage?

If we have margins near this during the elections and Clinton nabs GA,AZ while turning Texas and SC into battleground states you will be seeing decade long members of the GOP witness the absolute destruction of their party right before their eyes.

I still cant beleive top GOP officials are still backing Trump, I am dumbstruck by thr inability for these people to see the consiquences of backing this man.

I still cant beleive top GOP officials are still backing Trump, I am dumbstruck by thr inability for these people to see the consiquences of backing this man.

It's beautiful. So much fodder for opposition ads in 2018 and 2020.

Revoke your endorsement or be labeled "Trump Supporter" for years to come.

mo60

I believe there's an SC seat that Dems are targeting aggressively as a sleeper seat. SC-03?

I think that is the most realistic downballot seat for them to try to get if it looks likely that SC is going to end up as another battleground state in this election. That senate seat is pointless to try to get since the republican that holds that seat is probably to popular there.

Meguro

Banned
I have a little question for you, PoliGAF:

Is there any easy way to watch something or follow something live on election night for someone outside the US?

This'll be the first US election night I could follow live and I'd like to "be there", as weird as that sounds.

I think the GOP support deadline is Labor Day. If he can't show some traction towards equalizing this, I think that's when we start seeing GOP elected officials begin the actual distancing of themselves from Trump. If she goes into Labor Dy with a 4-5 point lead, they'll jump ship hard and fast.

I have a little question for you, PoliGAF:

Is there any easy way to watch something or follow something live on election night for someone outside the US?

This'll be the first US election night I could follow live and I'd like to "be there", as weird as that sounds.

It will be all over the major American networks. Usually, there's a Fox News live stream on YouTube, I believe. (If you want to watch video). The New York Times will also live blog it, as will places like 538. I'm sure that night we'll post a link to a live stream in whatever OT thread is made. :)

Holmes

Is there any historical data on when people tend to make up their minds? I'm wondering if we can tell how fixed people's opinions are by group. Which electoral groups tend to change their minds more often, etc?
I think people's notions of the candidates are now baked in, but not necessarily people's voting choices. So while Clinton's double digit lead can be seen right now as being soft, a good (or even decent) debate performance can turn it into a solid double digit lead. Paired with the superior ground game, and...

benjipwns

Banned
It will be all over the major American networks. Usually, there's a Fox News live stream on YouTube, I believe. (If you want to watch video).
And this would be the one to pick if a Hillary victory is most likely.

If on the other hand, the reddit and facebook subscribers turn out as expected and it's a 49 state Trump landslide, you'll want the MSNBC live stream.

Also from that Monmouth poll:

Importantly, Clinton continues to maintain a lead in the swing states – ten states that were decided by less than seven points in the 2012 election. She holds a 42% to 34% edge over Trump in these states, which is similar to her 46% to 39% swing state lead last month.

From their methodology:

Swing States (<7% margin): CO, FL, IA, NV, NH, NC, OH, PA, VA, WI

Bye!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom