• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
I'd be fairly surprised to see both Breyer and Ginsburg leave in two years. That would mean three new justices all crammed together. Stuff like that matters inside the court.
The last time we saw anything similar was when Bill appointed Ginsburg in '93 and Breyer in '94. Before that, Poppa Bush appointed Souter in '90 and Thomas in '91.

Two justices in two years isn't very odd.. but Scalia being held-over in this fashion throws things off. If the GOP (or anyone, really), has hurt fee-fees over this rapid change, they don't have much ground to complain.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wow, some guy tried to rush the stage at a Hillary rally before being apprehended by Secret Service agents. Apparently he was some animal rights activist. Christ!

Yea, for some reason they've been on her ever since she picked Kaine. The dude doesn't even have a bad record on the issue, he just hasn't co-sponsored every single animal rights bill that's hit the floor of the Senate.

I feel like this would play better in PA than in AZ.
Yeah, but what can you do? It seems we're already winning PA anyway.

I think it is a potent attack. I remember a teacher of mine in 08 saying he would have gladly voted for McCain in 00/04, but that he's a changed man. I think that's a pretty common sentiment. His approval ratings are shit because diehard conservatives still hold grudges against him, but Democrats and Independents have seen him become more and more of a party line asshole in recent years.

Balphon

Trump's hits on Kaine are particularly weak.

"He raised your taxes by 4 billion dollars."
Going to have to get a fact check to see the break down, but I have a feeling it's on the top incomes and top corporate earners.

The $4 billion figure is based on the tax increase Kaine proposed on car sales and auto insurance premiums. It (a) didn't pass and (b) was $4 billion over four years.

http://www.politifact.com/virginia/...-trump-says-tim-kaine-proposed-4-billion-tax/

I figured she was getting too old for the job anyway. Might be time for another person to step up.

well, the party hierarchy is full of people at or near pelosi's age

hoyer's next in line and he's 77
clyburn's up there and he's 76
john lewis is up there and he's 76
a third of the people in the "deputy whip" hierarchy are above 70 or near it

beyond that, we've got terri sewell (who's in her third term), sinema (who's in her second), castro (ditto), ellison (who might become a "lightning rod" among People who are Shitheads), and diana degette (who's 59)

Yeah, but what can you do? It seems we're already winning PA anyway.

I think it is a potent attack. I remember a teacher of mine in 08 saying he would have gladly voted for McCain in 00/04, but that he's a changed man. I think that's a pretty common sentiment. His approval ratings are shit because diehard conservatives still hold grudges against him, but Democrats and Independents have seen him become more and more of a party line asshole in recent years.

Yeah, I guess it also makes McCain look weak, which is nice. The more they make the election a referendum on McCain and less a vote FOR Kirkpatrick, the better.

well, the party hierarchy is full of people at or near pelosi's age

hoyer's next in line and he's 77
clyburn's up there and he's 76
john lewis is up there and he's 76
a third of the people in the "deputy whip" hierarchy are above 70 or near it
Too bad Rahm's not still in the House.

psyche, fuck him

Grief.exe

The $4 billion figure is based on the tax increase Kaine proposed on car sales and auto insurance premiums. It (a) didn't pass and (b) was $4 billion over four years.

http://www.politifact.com/virginia/...-trump-says-tim-kaine-proposed-4-billion-tax/

This seems like it would have disproportionately effected high incomes due to the percentage nature and removing vehicle taxes which effect lower incomes more since it's generally a fixed rate.

The proposed tax increase - defeated in the first week after Kaine left office in 2010 - would have raised about $1.9 billion. That would have been offset by $650 million taxpayers would have saved by a Kaine proposal to eliminate Virginia’s personal property tax on vehicles. So the net effect of Kaine’s last-year plan would have been a $1.25 billion annual tax hike.

...but since it didn't even pass so it's embarrassing that he even brings it up.

Syncytia

Wow, R guy on CNN complaining there was no outrage in 2008 about Obama saying bringing a gun to knife fight, after Tapper said it's a famous line from a movie, he says "I didn't know that and I don't think most of America did."

Uh, yeah, most America did, that's why it wasn't an issue. Bringing a knife to a gun fight is a metaphor most people have heard and it's meaning is pretty clear and vastly different from a (at minimum) veiled threat against a political opponent.

Crisco

Banned
If Hill gets elected with congressional majorities, first order of business should be an infrastructure spending bill. Gotta keep the economy churning in the right direction if she has any hope of a second term.

Balphon

This seems like it would have disproportionately effected high incomes due to the percentage nature and removing vehicle taxes which effect lower incomes more since it's generally a fixed rate.

There's also a bit of conflating of different proposals going on. The 2006 proposal -- where the $4 billion comes from -- was largely an across-the-board increase on vehicle and insurance taxes. The 2009 proposal was an increase on the highest marginal tax rate (which is relatively low, apparently representing amounts exceeding $17k in 2009) by 1%, offset by a sunset in the vehicle tax.

Neither passed, and Trump has variously referred to them as proposed increases and increases which actually happened, so it's the usual Trump magical thinking.

Meowster

I know it's too early to get excited (especially with Trump making assassination jokes) but the potential is just something else.

qvXPn.gif

I wonder how much GOP opposition research salvo had to be used early in the last two weeks as damage control that would have been saved for October?

Judicial watch releasing their FOIA e-mails
That quack lawyer filing a frivolous lawsuit for the headlines
The Iran story that had almost no new actual information in it

hawk2025

I do wonder:

Suppose there is immigration reform, and it involves a fairly simple path to citizenship.

Do you guys think that people currently grinding through the legal path will also be helped?

This is my dream.

I wonder how much GOP opposition research salvo had to be used early in the last two weeks as damage control that would have been saved for October?

Judicial watch releasing their FOIA e-mails
That quack lawyer filing a frivolous lawsuit for the headlines
The Iran story that had almost no new actual information in it

Considering they're not reverting to worrying about her health, along with making up things she's said (like that she would raise taxes), it seems they've kind of run out of actual stuff.

Even those three things you listed seemed like acts of desperation.

Ophelion

I do wonder:

Suppose there is immigration reform, and it involves a fairly simple path to citizenship.

Do you guys think that people currently grinding through the legal path will also be helped?

This is my dream.

I would certainly hope so.

It's nice that, at least for this moment, we can dream about the government being used to actually help people again. Even if it doesn't come to pass, that is such a breath of fresh air after years of obstructionism.

TyrantII

I think a true fix to immigration that reversed the inequities of the 1960 immigration bill that had led us here would be a mini-Civil Rights event. Latinos and other immigrants wouldn't forget who had their back.

Register, work, pay taxes, stay out of trouble and a quick path to citizenship after 5 years. Let's be that America again.

Go all in on immigration reform I say.

thefro

I think the priority should be lining up a bunch of stuff that would be easy wins and would impact people before 2018.

Obviously you want to move on all the big stuff too and make an effort, but you're not going to know what type of numbers you have to work with until Nov.

Ophelion

I think the priority should be lining up a bunch of stuff that would be easy wins and would impact people before 2018.

Obviously you want to move on all the big stuff too and make an effort, but you're not going to know what type of numbers you have to work with until Nov.

Yeah, it's got to be a balancing act. You have to try and get those easy wins to hopefully turn out the vote in mid-terms, but you also have to check some bigger boxes on your agenda checklist, because despite your best efforts, you may not get the opportunity again.

If there's one person I trust to cross-reference and hyper-organize the order these agenda goals should be achieved in, though, it's Hillary Clinton.

Nobody who supports Trump deserves the benefit of the doubt anymore.

That ended a while ago.

I was willing to give Heavy the benefit of not having been paying attention, or living in a bubble, or not having thought about things. It's clear he has and doesn't care enough to back off Trump as a person not willing to support racism would. He's complicit.

Direct Action Everywhere is a joke, there's a reason these guys have accomplished jack shit ever. Real animal rights groups don't rush Hillary Clinton week after week or call chickens "their babies" or argue "equal rights for humans and chickens"

Direct Action Everywhere!

Animal rights activists crashed the annual Nathan’s Famous hot dog eating contest, rushing the stage and grabbing a frank from the hand of contestant Crazy Legs Conti.

The protestors were dressed as contest supporters, wearing red shirts and white straw hats with the Nathan’s 100 anniversary logo.

Police said three protestors were taken into custody after they jumped the stage and sprayed ketchup on several contestants.

Direct Action Everywhere, a grassroots animal rights network, took credit for the protest saying it threw fake blood to “represent the violence of animal agriculture.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=NYDailyNewsTw

TS-08

Trump tweet:

No such meeting or conversation ever happened - a made up story by "low ratings" @CNN

Trump is apparently refuting the story that the Secret Service had a conversation with his campaign about his Second Amendment comment yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom