• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with Trump being an actor is that the incendiary things he is doing and saying can't be taken back. He is causing significant damage and undermining the place of entire races, religions, and nationalities (not to mention other minority groups) in our country. His rhetoric is causing irreparable harm that has already happened through increased animosity, verbiage, and physical attacks and bullying towards these groups. If Trump is really in this as some game or as a joke candidate to undermine the Republican party, and Clinton or the Democrats knew this to be true but didn't speak out, I can't even describe how enraged I would be. I would also hope every other Hillary/Democrat supporter would denounce our party and candidate.

The things that are happening are not acceptable in a civilized society.

Okay, true. Back to reality. It would be unforgivable of us to stoke racism just to discredit the other side.

I liked Mario 64, but I liked Banjo Kazooie better. Can middle ground be found there?

Grief.exe

Go read https://twitter.com/MattMackowiak right now. (GOP Strategist)

Gems:

1) We are at a crisis point. The wheels are off. Blowout election loss now likely. Trump's numbers are worsening across the board.

2/ Options are now limited since convention has ended. He cannot be thrown off ballot. He has to withdraw. He must be sold on this.

3/ Ballot withdrawal deadlines vary by state, but if he's not out by late Aug it's too late. TX deadline is Aug. 26, for example.

4/ We are in completely uncharted we territory here. Nominee hemorrhaging support, doesn't care, is intentionally damaging our candidates.

...and many more.

That was a good read. He sounds like he has given up hope.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I need to try 3D World again. Found it bland and forgettable when I first played it through, but my kids adore it. Maybe I was just stressed or something and that affected my enjoyment.

You need to get past the first few areas before it gets really good. Those first few areas are just training before shit gets real.

Gruco

Banned
Good read, but if he thinks they can actually convince Trump to drop out, he's still in denial.
Same voices responsible for the following:

1) Let's get Akin to drop out of the Senate race.

2) Trump's poll numbers will collapse eventually, just like Herman Cain

3) Marco Rubio will win the nomination with his 3-2-1 strategy

4) Establishment support will rally around whoever is left opposing Trump

5) A contested convention can stop Trump. He won't get the delegates he needs.

6) Watch Trump pivot to the general

7) Trump's polls are getting close if you look at them right. He can win this!

Probably other examples. We've seen GOP wishful thinking before (Akin), and it has been dialed up to 11, continuously, for the last several months. This is the latest iteration of it, but no more grounded in any kind of reality. I get it though. The situation is awful for the party. They want an out. They are desperate. But like Marshall said. Sometimes there's just no brakes. The train is running off tracks and that's just the way it is.

Banjo is the Mario 64 formula but better. Being able to pick up multiple stars/jiggies in one level is an amazingly obvious improvement.

Only knocks against it are the swimming controls are ass and having to collect every note in one go, but the XBLA version fixes the latter.

whew this take is hot

I missed the perfect chance to #hottakes hashtag it.

It's true, though. I played the first one through just because it has the best OST of all time. Then Galaxy 2 came out and for whatever reason I played through that, all 242 stars, and man did playing it suck.

I think I just did it to say I did it and because it is a visual and audial masterpiece. It's stunning. It's amazing.

The level design and gameplay are even worse than the first Galaxy though.

SMB3 remains the greatest Mario by a significant amount. But #hottakes Super Mario Land 2 is my personal favorite because it's so fucking weird, and it should be your personal favorite too.

Iolo

Go read https://twitter.com/MattMackowiak right now. (GOP Strategist)

Gems:

1) We are at a crisis point. The wheels are off. Blowout election loss now likely. Trump's numbers are worsening across the board.

2/ Options are now limited since convention has ended. He cannot be thrown off ballot. He has to withdraw. He must be sold on this.

3/ Ballot withdrawal deadlines vary by state, but if he's not out by late Aug it's too late. TX deadline is Aug. 26, for example.

4/ We are in completely uncharted we territory here. Nominee hemorrhaging support, doesn't care, is intentionally damaging our candidates.

...and many more.

Matt Mackowiak ‏@MattMackowiak 15m15 minutes ago
12/ No reason to believe Trump will improve, pivot, get serious. Believing that would require willing suspension of disbelief.

--- Another thing that would require willing suspension of disbelief is that you can make Trump do what you want. These people are complete morons.

Emarv

I partly hope Trump says something terrible during the Olympics, but then again I'm tired of him making the country dumber and rhetorically worse.

hawk2025

Out of the three -- 64, Galaxy, 3D World -- I completely agree that Galaxy is markedly the worst of the bunch.

They are all brilliant for different reasons, though.

12/ No reason to believe Trump will improve, pivot, get serious. Believing that would require willing suspension of disbelief.

--- Another thing that would require willing suspension of disbelief is that you can make Trump do what you want. These people are complete morons.
It's comforting to them. That's what it's about.

None of them are actually understanding why this is happening. They bread this racism.

It's trying to pretend this isnt their party. So they keep changing to whatever makes them feel good.

Roy is so far the only conservative whose cone clean on this.

Zornack

Can you even call Galaxy and 3D World games? They're so piss-ass easy. For some reason after Sunshine Nintendo decided that they have to design 3D Mario games for kids fresh out of the womb.

I partly hope Trump says something terrible during the Olympics, but then again I'm tired of him making the country dumber and rhetorically worse.
I need a Trump break.

It's actively making my life worse. Theres just this lingering fear in the back of my mind seemingly 24/7 about what happens if he's president.

Like I'm not changing much or legit disclosing but it's real anxiety that politics has never provoked.

I really think this is actually a traumatic even for many. A slow motion one too

Agreed. Even if you buy the idea that Trump can be convinced his kids' futures are being harmed, you still have to give him a way to quit without appearing to be a loser, and the only path that gives him that option is the one where he screams that the GOP screwed him over.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Can you even call Galaxy and 3D World games? They're so piss-ass easy. For some reason after Sunshine Nintendo decided that they have to design 3D Mario games for kids fresh out of the womb.

Can somebody explain the meaning behind the bolded above? It makes absolutely zero sense as a phrase.

Also, Sunshine was hard because the game was designed poorly and the camera and controls were terrible. No other reason.

No Mario game in the last 15 years has been more than a 7/10. End discussion.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, one of the greatest rpg's ever made, released just over 12 years ago

Hillary is lame END DISCUSSION

87% metacritic btw

gcubed

Maybe you shouldn't go that far and just still with the thing that's a bit easier to digest, like how overrated all 3D Zelda's have been.

Zornack

Can somebody explain the meaning behind the bolded above? It makes absolutely zero sense as a phrase.

Also, Sunshine was hard because the game was designed poorly and the camera and controls were terrible. No other reason.

Yeah I don't know what it means either but it sounds insulting so I went with it.

Legend of the seven stars was 20 years ago so yup, this checks out.

The late-90s N64-era Nintendo is probably my least favorite Nintendo era. Fortunately the GBA got me back on board with Nintendo.

Galaxy was fun, too.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Limbaugh having a bit of a meltdown right now, going off on all the Republicans coming out in support of Clinton.

Bae, you know I heart you...but no. Just. No. You're so wrong, you don't even know how wrong you are. Like, I'm going to pray for you, because I think Jesus can help you? But...seriously. We may need a trial separation.

Okay, separation over. We'll work through this!

CCS

Banned
Bae, you know I heart you...but no. Just. No. You're so wrong, you don't even know how wrong you are. Like, I'm going to pray for you, because I think Jesus can help you? But...seriously. We may need a trial separation.

Okay, separation over. We'll work through this!

Bae, you know you have horrible taste in like, everything :p

I would give my right arm to see what Hillary's (and Trump's if he has any) internals look like. I'm guessing the GOP/RNC has been running polls too. I have to know what these say. PLEASE. Someone leak them for me. I'll give you $1.00

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I would give my right arm to see what Hillary's (and Trump's if he has any) internals look like. I'm guessing the GOP/RNC has been running polls too. I have to know what these say. PLEASE. Someone leak them for me. I'll give you $1.00
First your right arm and then $1?

Trump is rubbing off you Adam.. I don't like it.
=p

Democrats were all onboard this strategy in 2000 if anyone remembers, lol. But yeah, that's a bad precedent to set.

I'm starting to slowly believe the conspiracy theory that Trump is doing this for the Clintons. He implodes literally right after the convention and him being locked into the nomination? This is insanity pants at this point. Clinton by 5-7 at this point (I don't think any election any time soon will be a bigger margin than that, though Trump's trying)

At this point my biggest fear is that Ryan repudiates Trump harshly so he can start rebuilding for 2020.

Ryan can never make it through a national primary. Trump has probably already put Ryan on the list of "People Who Were Mean to Me and Didn't Endorse Me Hard Enough" and he'll be blasting those people for the rest of his life.

Trump's base isn't going to change. In every election going forward, they'll blame the unhelpful GOP for Trump's loss, and they'll punish anyone who didn't kiss the ring with tongue. If Ryan runs in 2020, then I hope he's ready to get ripped to shreds as a liberal sympathizer in front of a base that views compromise as the worst possible strategy no matter what.

CCS

Banned
Rating scales for games were one of the worst ideas ever.

Ive had a great time with the modern 2D Mario games, scores be damned.

Fair enough, all opinion is subjective after all :)

Also the number of Nintendo games I would say I love can be counted on one hand

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Trump isn't going to bow out to GOP pressure because a) his poll numbers aren't actually bad enough for him to concede defeat and b) he doesn't give a shit about the GOP as a party. He is not pulling out and the idea of him pulling out by late August is pretty much absurd because the Olympics will keep his profile too low for his numbers to really hit that 30% range he'd need to actually withdraw.

The glint of reality is that Trump performing poorly in PR hasn't dented his polling numbers enough for him to not realistically have a puncher's chance to win.

Trump withdrawing in the next 3 weeks is both a GOP fantasy and Democrat Diablosing.

To be fair, I don't think it's possible in this day and age to go from Speaker of the House to President. You have to do way too many unpopular things if you want to have success in the job.

The only way I can see it happening is if you wash yourself with a governor spot for a term before running for Pres.

In Mackowiak's rant he says that Trump is down 7 and rapidly falling. That's probably what GOP internals are showing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom