• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
remember 10 days ago when we were about to jump off a ledge? good times

People have moved on from panicking that "Teflon Don" is playing 11th dimensional chess and every seemingly dumb thing he does is calculated to make his numbers rise to panicking that he's tanking too hard and he's somehow going to drop out and Kasich or Rubio is going to be the 45th President of the United States.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
This is all happening too early.

Trump will eventually step back and let his impressive kids do most of the talking. Americans' memories will once again prove to be short, and by Election Day, no one will be talking about any gaffes that occurred prior to October 1. The Khans, Purple Hearts, and that disastrous WP interview will be forgotten. The final results will be dissatisfyingly close.

Maggie Haberman ‏@maggieNYT 7m7 minutes ago
"I strongly support Paul Ryan, strongly endorse his re-election," Pence says on Fox.

So, now the GOP has the top of their ticket saying something different than the bottom of the ticket.

THIS IS FINE. THIS IS NORMAL. NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. MOVE ALONG

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Yeah, faithless electors are not really a path we want to go down. Certainly not in August.

Democrats were all onboard this strategy in 2000 if anyone remembers, lol. But yeah, that's a bad precedent to set.

I'm starting to slowly believe the conspiracy theory that Trump is doing this for the Clintons. He implodes literally right after the convention and him being locked into the nomination? This is insanity pants at this point. Clinton by 5-7 at this point (I don't think any election any time soon will be a bigger margin than that, though Trump's trying)

At this point my biggest fear is that Ryan repudiates Trump harshly so he can start rebuilding for 2020.

gcubed

"I strongly support Paul Ryan, strongly endorse his re-election," Pence says on Fox.

So, now the GOP has the top of their ticket saying something different than the bottom of the ticket.

Now?

Its been since it started

holy shit

Crayons

Banned

WE'RE UNIFIED

BELIEVE ME

Paskil

Super Mario 3D World is GOAT. So, ya.....

Eh, I've had 3D World sitting on my shelf since December and haven't played it yet. I don't think 64 is GOAT, but I remember unwrapping and playing it on release day and being blown away over the next few days/weeks.

gcubed

Democrats were all onboard this strategy in 2000 if anyone remembers, lol. But yeah, that's a bad precedent to set.

I'm starting to slowly believe the conspiracy theory that Trump is doing this for the Clintons. He implodes literally right after the convention and him being locked into the nomination? This is insanity pants at this point. Clinton by 5-7 at this point (I don't think any election any time soon will be a bigger margin than that, though Trump's trying)

At this point my biggest fear is that Ryan repudiates Trump harshly so he can start rebuilding for 2020.

there is no way this election is 5-7 points. No doubt in my mind. This is the same craziness that thinks Trump will get 45. Which won't happen either

you really do have awful taste in everything but politics.
Don't hate. VOTE.
Eh, I've had 3D World sitting on my shelf since December and haven't played it yet. I don't think 64 is GOAT, but I remember unwrapping and playing it on release day and being blown away over the next few days/weeks.
I didn't play Mario 64 when it came out. So, I have no love for it. I got an N64 late, and pretty much played Pod Racer 24/7. I was more into my SNES than my N64 even later in the console's life cycle.

4 Player 3D World is GOAT. Seriously. The game is perfect.

But, seriously. I hope the media picks up on the fact that the ticket isn't even unified. Jesus, what a mess.

Super Mario 3D World is GOAT. So, ya.....

No, no, Mario 64 is G.O.A.T. SM3DW is like goat shit - it stinks and there's no use for it. Well, maybe the goat shit can be used to fertilize a garden, so yeah, goat shit has more use than SM3DW.

I'm just waiting for the Trump tweet where he shits on Pence for endorsing Ryan. In 3...2...1...

Paskil

The problem with Trump being an actor is that the incendiary things he is doing and saying can't be taken back. He is causing significant damage and undermining the place of entire races, religions, and nationalities (not to mention other minority groups) in our country. His rhetoric is causing irreparable harm that has already happened through increased animosity, verbiage, and physical attacks and bullying towards these groups. If Trump is really in this as some game or as a joke candidate to undermine the Republican party, and Clinton or the Democrats knew this to be true but didn't speak out, I can't even describe how enraged I would be. I would also hope every other Hillary/Democrat supporter would denounce our party and candidate.

The things that are happening are not acceptable in a civilized society.

If the Republicans are going to be a national party, they need to repudiate Trump and Trumpism sooner or later, and I do think it's important that we have two functioning political parties.

My concern would be if the Republicans take all the wrong lessons from Trump, do a Band-Aid solution to stop future Trumps, and go right back to using dog whistles as they were before.

TS-08

No, no, Mario 64 is G.O.A.T. SM3DW is like goat shit - it stinks and there's no use for it. Well, maybe the goat shit can be used to fertilize a garden, so yeah, goat shit has more use than SM3DW.

I'm just waiting for the Trump tweet where he shits on Pence for endorsing Ryan. In 3...2...1...

I'm awaiting the headline: "Trump says in an interview today that he's not quite ready to endorse Mike Pence for Vice President."

Go read https://twitter.com/MattMackowiak right now. (GOP Strategist)

Gems:

1) We are at a crisis point. The wheels are off. Blowout election loss now likely. Trump's numbers are worsening across the board.

2/ Options are now limited since convention has ended. He cannot be thrown off ballot. He has to withdraw. He must be sold on this.

3/ Ballot withdrawal deadlines vary by state, but if he's not out by late Aug it's too late. TX deadline is Aug. 26, for example.

4/ We are in completely uncharted we territory here. Nominee hemorrhaging support, doesn't care, is intentionally damaging our candidates.

...and many more.

Gruco

Banned
And yet, Trump's poll numbers continue to go up.

Should have nominated Bernie. He beats Trump.

Democrats in their Ivory Tower fail to see how Trump resonates with the average American.

DNC never should have stolen the election.

this is sarcasm

Gems:

1) We are at a crisis point. The wheels are off. Blowout election loss now likely. Trump's numbers are worsening across the board.

2/ Options are now limited since convention has ended. He cannot be thrown off ballot. He has to withdraw. He must be sold on this.

3/ Ballot withdrawal deadlines vary by state, but if he's not out by late Aug it's too late. TX deadline is Aug. 26, for example.

4/ We are in completely uncharted we territory here. Nominee hemorrhaging support, doesn't care, is intentionally damaging our candidates.

...and many more.

Good read, but if he thinks they can actually convince Trump to drop out, he's still in denial.

Mario 64 is a great tech demo and a terrible game. I played it when Crayons was a few days old, and was sick of it by the time I beat Bowser.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
LOL at people arguing between Mario 64 and Mario 3D World when the GOAT, Super Mario Galaxy, is sitting in a booth in the corner laughing and watching the ridiculousness from afar.

hawk2025

Gems:

...and many more.

"9/ That's where the kids come in. They have futures. They have their own brands. They don't want a scarlet letter for life. It's up to them."

lol, it's too late for that. They already have a 'scarlet letter for life'.

ampere

Co8r5IvWIAAFPiM.jpg

(that's Jeb's NatSec advisor)

h/t https://twitter.com/DeepEddy/status/760875125768122368

I mean, the number one reason for voting against Trump should be "Trump cannot be allowed to control nukes" for literally every sane person

This isn't even getting into Trump being a terrible person, it's about not having nuclear war

Paskil

LOL at people arguing between Mario 64 and Mario 3D World when the GOAT, Super Mario Galaxy, is sitting in a booth in the corner laughing and watching the ridiculousness from afar.

It depends if we're just generically inserting the term GOAT, or if this is kind of a Mario GOAT discussion. If it's an overall GOAT discussion, then all three are not relevant since none of them are the greatest game of all time.

Galaxy is the GOAT 3D Mario Game.
Super Mario World is the GOAT 2D Mario Game.
Super Mario 3D World is THE Greatest Mario Game.

These are not contradictory statements.

The number-one reason to believe the conspiracy theory is that it would allow him to save face as a non-loser and instantly become one of the most famous men in American history for decades, if not centuries. It is a story everyone would be telling their grandchildren, likely with approval: the time the wily New Yorker tricked the GOP into losing the House, Senate, Supreme Court, and presidency. The legend of the Golden Fox and the Dumb Turtle. He would be a hero to New Yorkers for the rest of his days. Shit, even if it isn't true, he has incentive to say it in his concession speech, if only to avoid forced permanent exile to Mar-a-Lago.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
"9/ That's where the kids come in. They have futures. They have their own brands. They don't want a scarlet letter for life. It's up to them."

lol, it's too late for that. They already have a 'scarlet letter for life'.

Matt Mackowiak said:
10/ Options for replacing Trump, if he made the right decision limited to: Romney, Ryan, Cruz, Kasich and Pence. All improvements.

Good luck with that.

Ryan would never take it.
Cruz won't because he thinks he is Reagan incarnate.
Kasich is too smart.
Pence would get destroyed.

Romney is the only one I could see.

I think the Galaxy games are far and away the best in the series on a technical level, easily.

For a game like Mario I treasure a pick-up-and-play mentality above all else. 64 and 3D World are the best in this regard. The Galaxy games can feel overwhelming if I'm just looking for something to do for like half an hour.

Sunshine is just whatever.

Galaxy is the perfect epitome of AAA gaming today: Really beautiful, stunning aesthetics, shitbrick of an actual game that's dull as hell to play.

Plinko

Galaxy is the GOAT 3D Mario Game.
Super Mario World is the GOAT 2D Mario Game.
Super Mario 3D World is THE Greatest Mario Game.

These are not contradictory statements.

NSMBU is by far the best 2D Mario. SMW is great but NSMBU + Luigi is the total package.

HylianTom

Banned
That moment when you get to Gusty Gardens for the first time: Euphoria. I legit began crying. Best Mario ever.

SM64 was one of the few games I played during college. My gaming time really died during that time period, but I still hold fond memories.

And 3D World is criminally underrated. Love that jazzy/big band soundtrack.

What Americans might not understand is that the US nuclear weapon policy is built on the assumption that the commander in chief isn't crazy since he can authorize a launch. The reponsibility is on the public to ensure that they elect a President that won't make this decision. Furthermore it is the President's reponsibility to ensure that no crisis ever gets to the point where use of the weapons is even thinkable.

Refer to Kahn's Escalation Ladder for more details on this, but note that we've only been past the "Nuclear war is unthinkable threshold" once during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Ever since the Cold War ended the resting point doesn't go past "Don''t rock the boat".

These are weapons to never be used to enforce peace. I grew up in the shadow of the Cold War so I'm aware of this, but so did most of elected GOP officials and they should be apoplectic over these comments.

Plinko

I need to try 3D World again. Found it bland and forgettable when I first played it through, but my kids adore it. Maybe I was just stressed or something and that affected my enjoyment.

Trump won't drop out.

Things won't get better (remember, they were already supposed to post-Corey).

Trump will lose by a significant margin by modern standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom