• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find all these posts about how obviously we need nuclear power and anybody who's worried about it is just dumb to be really tedious. It's frankly a disrespectful and arrogant argument pattern. Sometimes the reason people disagree with you is that you're wrong or you're communicating badly, not because they're obviously crazy.

I'll say it again, Fukushima happened in 2011, and the investigation found that, sure, the accident would have been preventable with proper safety and technology, but the plant operator just didn't bother. If you think that we should all feel super confident that nuclear accidents can never happen I think you're the one who's living in a fantasy world. Come up with a real justification for why this won't just keep happening.

Stuff that can be addressed by further improvements in safety and regulation/oversight. Of which many new reactor types are out there that aren't based on plant designs from the infancy of nuclear reactor technology.

While things like existing non-nuclear technology every second are causing and have caused infinitely more death and destruction for the world. Simply by operating normally.

Please tell me you have to be military to purchase one of those...

No. Would fall under a Class III fully auto gun or destructive device. Some additional paperwork and waiting period and usually expensive. But attainable. But likely this was owned by a gun range - where they tend to have higher caliber weapons or potentially full auto guns.

Ecotic

It's disappointing that Florida appears Republican +2. Hillary is up 7 or so nationally but only up 4 or 5 in Florida. I had hope the Puerto Rican immigration would turn it more blue.

Brinbe

Great to see NH continue to poll well. If that's safe D now, that puts her solidly above 270 without worrying about OH or FL

cRhKFYH.png

Wrap it up, B. This shit is looking good.

Crisco

Banned
It's disappointing that Florida appears Republican +2. Hillary is up 7 or so nationally but only up 4 or 5 in Florida. I had hope the Puerto Rican immigration would turn it more blue.

It's not that surprising if you've ever been to the Redneck Riviera. You'd have a better chance of bigfoot sighting than a single person who'd consider voting D.

Link

The Autumn Wind
As someone from South Florida, it's bewildering and frustrating, but then I remember that the northern half of the state is basically the South.

As someone from South Florida, it's bewildering and frustrating, but then I remember that the northern half of the state is basically the South.

Eh.... there are generally a lot of Cuban/PR republicans in the south. More than you'd think logically given how much the GOP likes to shit on those groups.

But yes, the further north you go, the more southern you get. With the exception of parts of Tampa and Orlando I guess.

ampere

Worrying about the GE if Trump drops out is the ultimate joke diablos. I hope everyone is joking...

I was gonna say, diablos makes us think he's calmed down and then this? lol

Trump dropping out would be the icing and cherry on top

It's so expensive to purchase, the ammo is so pricey, and it's so rare that it's really irrelevant.

It's also not a super practical weapon. ARs are much scarier

Polling Hispanics isn't easy. Hillary should out perform the FL polls on election day.

I'd rather not have Trump drop out. If they replace him with someone decent then we will have a close race again.

It would be unprecedented if he dropped out tho. You have to wonder if the states would do something, like say the state supreme courts allowing a temporary period for the RNC to put another candidate on the ballot.
Stop it.. Stop it. Now you're trying to find reasons to panic.

How bout worry about football or something.. Worry about Pittsburgh actually having a team instead of having them all suspended for fail drug tests? That's more realistic than that.

Brinbe

And to add further perspective. Based on the polls-only, this is the deficit Trump needs to overcome to break that 270 wall.

0Q0voGf.png

Good luck, bitch. 273 is the floor right now.

Zona

That's how I feel about it - don't build new nuclear plants and gradually phase the rest of them out. Radioactive isotopes of elements have such long half-lives that they can take tens or hundreds of thousands of years to decay enough to be at (believed) safe levels. Nuclear energy is a long term risk. A lot can happen in thousands of years.

I really don't think Jill Stein is crazy for this reason, she's crazy for the WiFi thing, but with nuclear power I agree with her. I don't think its feasible to just shut them down all at once immediately, but I definitely think we should stay away from them. Japan is a very developed country and look at what happened at Fukushima Daiichi.

We have drawing board designs for reactors that can run on our supply of nuclear waste, and designs for Thorium reactors that are almost impossible to meltdown and produce far less waste then even our best conventional designs. If we want to combat global warming then increasing our use of Nuclear power is an imperative short of a breakthrough in Fusion power generation happening tomorrow. There is nothing else that can pick up the slack while we wait for energy storage technology and green energy production to reach our power production needs.

The anti-nuclear power movement on the left is one of our versions of anti-science fearmongering, and it annoys me greatly.

Grief.exe

Took a look at Wyoming demographics since they are the most Republican portion of the electorate according to 538's polls-only forecast.

93% white
60% without a college degree
Trump's wheelhouse

Almost a quarter of the population is employed by the Government, which is ironic considering the rhetoric of fiscal conservatives. I would be surprised if there wasn't a large majority of that white population on food stamps as well.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Going to college means you like Hillary. Hillary must be like free pizza or skipping class due to a release of a new calladoody. Or anime parties...excuse me, matsuri.

Edit: It seems to me we're way out of convention bounce phase, right? Like this is the new state of the race.

Crayons

Banned
We have drawing board designs for reactors that can run on our supply of nuclear waste, and designs for Thorium reactors that are almost impossible to meltdown and produce far less waste then even our best conventional designs. If we want to combat global warming then increasing our use of Nuclear power is an imperative short of a breakthrough in Fusion power generation happening tomorrow. There is nothing else that can pick up the slack while we wait for energy storage technology and green energy production to reach our power production needs.

The anti-nuclear power movement on the left is one of our versions of anti-science fearmongering, and it annoys me greatly.
I actually haven't heard of these designs. Very interesting

jevity

Fucking LOL

Brian S on CNN just exposed
that Trumps Clinton Foundation
Chart is from the fringe website,
http://beforeitsnews.com.

And Jason Miller says he didnt know it existed, and that the POLICY Department makes the charts.

Jason Miller also defended Katrina Pierson

What a fucking shitshow of a campaign

Link

The Autumn Wind
Fucking LOL

And Jason Miller says he didnt know it existed, and that the POLICY Department makes the charts.

Stelter doing good work, as always.

I'd like to think that all these lying scumbags working for the Trump campaign never get another job in politics again.

I'd like to think that.

Going to college means you like Hillary. Hillary must be like free pizza or skipping class due to a release of a new calladoody. Or anime parties...excuse me, matsuri.

Edit: It seems to me we're way out of convention bounce phase, right? Like this is the new state of the race.
Labor Day is typically the point where the race starts solidifying. But yeah. Clinton's favorability numbers have already receded a little but the +8ish lead on Trump seems to be the new equilibrium for now.

You'll probably start to see the Senate contests breaking out. Right now i would say McGinty, Hassan and Ross will stake out firm leads, Murphy will pull into a tie and Portman will put some distance between himself and Strickland. Also think Iowa will probably be closer than most people expect, McCain goes down, and Blunt holds in pretty easily (as much as I want Kander to win because he has an amazing profile for a national race and would probably be a permanent VP shortlister).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Fucking LOL

Hahaha...I need to see video of this.

jevity

Hahaha a media critic named Jennifer Pozner said that Trump getting mad at the media is like a frat guy saying "she must be gay" when a girl wont date him

But other than the jokes, it looks like the Gloves have come off now, and the factfree spin factory shit
is getting confronted head on.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Hahaha a media critic named Jennifer Pozner said that Trump getting mad at the media is like a frat guy saying "she must be gay" when a girl wont date him

But other than the jokes, it looks like the Gloves have come off now, and the factfree spin factory shit
is getting confronted head on.
When you need to get someone from Newsmax to find a "journalist" to say the media is biased against Trump, that pretty much says it all.

jevity

Still watching Brian on CNN. Female journalist saying that more and more journalist fear for their safety at the rallies. She also said that a large number of trump supporters approaches the press pen and look at the journos like they are a strange species in a zoo. However, she also tells about positive experiences of meeting trump supporters, and that a large number of trump supporters asks to use the plug for their phone Chargers.

And now Brian is attacking Hannity for the Clinton health conspiracy.

The game is changing.

jevity

Trump's internal numbers are probably crowd attendance.

I think it's even more specific.

Trump has told his aides that
"the best way, believe me" to get reliable internal numbers are counting the number of people with a MAGA cap, and ONLY those with a cap on, at a given rally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom