• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
\What is this based on? Sure, there's a lot of rhetorical flourish in the thread about global warming/carbon production/you being rude (honestly), but this claim (if I'm reading it correctly) just seems flatly unbelievable.

First off, I will take the feedback that I'm being rude to everybody, but I am sad. I feel, as I've stated, that the level of argument on this topic is pretty condescending and uninformative. I clearly don't have as much information on the topic as others, but one of the reasons I engage in the thread is to hopefully learn about these topics. That requires people who do have information to take the time to explain it. If you don't want to, then don't, obviously, but I think choosing not to present an informed argument but also choosing to take time to post about how dumb the people who disagree with you are is not a particularly social behavior pattern.

I think people made a lot of pretty surprising assumptions about my position and ideas on this topic without making much effort to find out what they actually are. But maybe that's my fault for being too aggressive on the topic because of my irritation.

(And before people make yet another comparison between racism and global warming, please just don't bother. I have already posted my meta-argument for why that's not a good comparison.)

Isn't Fukushima also a gen 1 nuclear power plant that have inherent instability due to their need for constant cooling to keep the reaction in check?
Modern plants require cooling to keep the reaction going, unable to pump water into the chamber, no reaction.

The concern I was trying to outline about Fukushima was actually more social in nature. As you say, clearly we have better nuclear plant designs that have less potential safety issues. But we kept Fukushima around and running anyway! Like, if the Fukushima incident report said "there was this unforeseen safety issue," then I would be like, great, just fix that. It's the fact that the incident report said "we knew how to make a much safer power plant but we were too corrupt and lazy to bother" that gives me some pause. This was genuinely the fact that changed my position on nuclear power from "let's just do it whatever" to "well, I'm worried we will keep blowing them up because yolo." For example, I was arguing about the greatness of pebble bed reactors back in the day.

Really good post

This post is great and has great citations. I find it pretty convincing, although, as noted, I am hopeful that solar can improve in efficiency quicker than people seem to expect. I personally don't really see a problem with covering huge swathes of American land with solar panels -- we literally have a whole 2.7 states of desert nobody can live in, so may as well use it for something.

However, I was clearly uniformed about the long-term dangers of the Fukushima disaster, which is genuinely surprising to me. So clearly I was wrong about that and thus mostly wrong about the topic. Let's build some nuclear power plants.

You got me, it was only 500 square miles.
It was 144 square miles for the actual exclusion zone and people within the region you're talking about are recommended to "stay indoors". Also this is nitpicking but I think it's misleading to talk about square mileage because the radius is a more informative tool. The exclusion zone is 12 miles. The "indoors" region is between 20 and 30 km.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Still say Tuesday is going to be entertaining. Trump and Hannity together in Milwaukee. We're going to get comments about Hillary's health and comments about last night's riots.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The Hillary's health garbage is a complete non-starter. Nobody is going to care about that line of attack.

First off, I will take the feedback that I'm being rude to everybody, but I am sad. I feel, as I've stated, that the level of argument on this topic is pretty condescending and uninformative. I clearly don't have as much information on the topic as others, but one of the reasons I engage in the thread is to hopefully learn about these topics. That requires people who do have information to take the time to explain it. If you don't want to, then don't, obviously, but I think choosing not to present an informed argument but also choosing to take time to post about how dumb the people who disagree with you are is not a particularly social behavior pattern.

I think people made a lot of pretty surprising assumptions about my position and ideas on this topic without making much effort to find out what they actually are. But maybe that's my fault for being too aggressive on the topic because of my irritation.

(And before people make yet another comparison between racism and global warming, please just don't bother. I have already posted my meta-argument for why that's not a good comparison.)

The concern I was trying to outline about Fukushima was actually more social in nature. As you say, clearly we have better nuclear plant designs that have less potential safety issues. But we kept Fukushima around and running anyway! Like, if the Fukushima incident report said "there was this unforeseen safety issue," then I would be like, great, just fix that. It's the fact that the incident report said "we knew how to make a much safer power plant but we were too corrupt and lazy to bother" that gives me some pause. This was genuinely the fact that changed my position on nuclear power from "let's just do it whatever" to "well, I'm worried we will keep blowing them up because yolo." For example, I was arguing about the greatness of pebble bed reactors back in the day.

This post is great and has great citations. I find it pretty convincing, although, as noted, I am hopeful that solar can improve in efficiency quicker than people seem to expect. I personally don't really see a problem with covering huge swathes of American land with solar panels -- we literally have a whole 2.7 states of desert nobody can live in, so may as well use it for something.

However, I was clearly uniformed about the long-term dangers of the Fukushima disaster, which is genuinely surprising to me. So clearly I was wrong about that and thus mostly wrong about the topic. Let's build some nuclear power plants.

I jumped in late, but someone called you a racist over this? Like, I pretty strongly disagree with you, but even my worst metaphors can't really equate the two.

Edit: And for the bolded, I didn't get this at all. But I jumped in late, so I missed the start of the topic which cuts out your starting point. You were already frustrated when I started reading through posts, and I read that as posting in bad faith. That's on me.

If he keeps up this savagery, I'm going to start calling him Jake Double-Tapper.

Cp1XzMpWgAEvZLq.jpg

Nuclear is also considerably safer than most people give it credit for. A properly functioning nuclear plant releases less radiation into the atmosphere than a coal burning one, for instance.
Good post but this portion I'm outlining is actually a frequently cited but highly misleading fact. Coal ash in totum is responsible for more radiation leaked into the environment than nuclear waste is. But this is because we design our nuclear plants to release no radiation in the first place. Also, neither of these sources are a significant source of environmental radiation anyway, so you might as well say "neither coal nor ash produce any radioactive pollution". And lastly, this isn't actually a reasonable point to assert the safety of nuclear energy because nobody assesses its safety through the slow, regular leakage of radioactive material into the environment, but rather the potential for catastrophic damage in the event of a nuclear meltdown.

daedalius

He's tweeting again

Donald J. TrumpVerified account
‏@realDonaldTrump
Crooked Hillary Clinton is being protected by the media. She is not a talented person or politician. The dishonest media refuses to expose!

Donald J. TrumpVerified account
‏@realDonaldTrump
I am not only fighting Crooked Hillary, I am fighting the dishonest and corrupt media and her government protection process. People get it!

The fuck is "government protection process"?

He's just turning into a whiny, sore loser at this point, and no one likes a loser.

Now he's going after freedom of the press?
After he called for his opponent to be locked up?
After he called for his opponent (or maybe appointees) to be shot?
And he's registering Brown (or whatever color) shirts?
And he wants the police/sheriffs to inspect polling places?

He seems like he's a real....something that rhymes with mascist

Crayons

Banned
Now he's going after freedom of the press?
After he called for his opponent to be locked up?
After he called for his opponent (or maybe appointees) to be shot?
And he's registering Brown (or whatever color) shirts?
And he wants the police/sheriffs to inspect polling places?

He seems like he's a real....something that rhymes with mascist

baptist?

If he keeps up this savagery, I'm going to start calling him Jake Double-Tapper.

Cp1XzMpWgAEvZLq.jpg

It's not like it used to be. Before, the media knew that pushing Trump would be good traffic since they want the buffoons to last as long as possible. But now that he's this insane and clearly won't win, it's the logical move to position your station/paper/blog in such a way as to say, "We gave that asshole the full court press and didn't let him get away with anything, like hardcore journalists!" It's an easy position to take now that he's doing so poorly.

Time to diablos: I had a dream last night I was watching election coverage and it was going down to the wire because Hillary's gains in the South were being offset by Trump's surprising strength in the Rust Belt.

They should ask the spox, "Do you believe we should ignore any off-handed comments from Trump?" They will reply, "Well you can report them, but do so with honesty" etc. Then they trap themselves into a corner. Simply follow up with "But Trump makes off-handed comments every news cycle. The Khan family, the 2nd amendment comments, Obama founded ISIS, etc."

Thats it. Let them hang themselves with it.

Ty4on

I do wonder why the failure of a shitty nuclear power plant in a Communist nation (Chernobyl) has remained in cultural awareness whereas the failure of a shitty dam in a Communist nation (Banqiao Dam) has not.
I think having an effect in western countries made a big difference.

The public in the west were made aware of it when a Swedish nuclear power plant measured much higher than normal background radiation. In the later years meat all over Europe had to be tested for radiation.

The views already being tainted probably also had a big effect. The China Syndrome was just 7 years old at the time.

Clinton's -3 with men, and +11 with woman.

But I don't believe Trumpster fire has 40% of Hispanics in FL. Just undersampled.

YouGov has had really, really big issues with non-white samples this year. I think it's because it's English only and online. They've also consistently underestimated Hillary's support. Days before California, they had the race 47/45 between Hillary and Bernie. They had Hillary winning the men, Bernie winning the women....They have issues, which they need to figure out.

Measley

That Time cover is perfect. His campaign is literally in meltdown mode and its not even September yet.

BTW, those anti-Trump ads airing here in Ohio are pretty devastating. Without Kasich, Portman, or any prominent Republican supporting him, I don't see how Trump wins this state.

Bowdz

YouGov has had really, really big issues with non-white samples this year. I think it's because it's English only and online. They've also consistently underestimated Hillary's support. Days before California, they had the race 47/45 between Hillary and Bernie. They had Hillary winning the men, Bernie winning the women....They have issues, which they need to figure out.

Many people are saying that YouGov has real problems folks. Alright? Many people, strong people, big league, are saying this. We have to figure out what the hell is going on okay?

would recent puerto rican transplants to FL even show up in polling as likely voters? I can't imagine why they would.

Newly registered, first time voters can qualify for a LV screen. It depends on what methodology they use. However, the bigger issue is the method the pollster uses. This is an online poll that is only offered in English, I believe. Survey Monkey recently changed their methodology to allow people to complete the poll in English or Spanish, and there was a shift pretty heavily towards Hillary. I imgine Hillary's margins among older, Spanish speaking women is going to be insane in places like Florida. This type of poll would undersample them drastically, and I'm not sure any amount of weighting would fix it.

Don't expect yougov to have a good record of polling minorities. It's one of the reasons why I suspect they are so off on their Obama approval numbers.

Speaking of which, he's at 54% in Gallup again. That has been his ceiling a couple of times this year so if he breaks through that then something is definitely changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom