• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what Hillary has been doing the past few days? She's probably at hope sipping some tea while Kaine mows the lawn and Bill is trying to bake muffins.

CCS

Banned
As you might imagine post-Brexit vote. Margins under horrible squeeze below from low pound and from above by worried customers.

This is, of course, good news (as I am an irredeemable optimist). Seven competitors within 100 miles have bit the dust, UK wholesalers are under severe pressure, and as I do all my own importing I am so far gobbling up all the spare customers! Once I get around to doing online as well I shall be rolling in it - though what "it" is precisely is yet to be determined.

Your optimism is both impressive and inspiring. I'm glad that you're managing to weather it okay, I hope the "it" you end up rolling in is satisfactory levels of profit. If I'm ever down that way (which is sadly unlikely) I'll have to pop in and visit.

1470254754722.jpg

posted!?!?

but his speech had higher ratings!!!!!!!! The best ratings!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I need historical reference here. Last time we had a candidate this high above the other in August? What happened to that race?

I guarantee this is the poll that had republican insiders freaking out today.

How could you not?

Those indicators are like really really bad.

Most pollsters just ask who you'd vote for. This one asked specific type questions and all that matter were really bad for Trump.

If nothing changes, this is a really bad blowout for Trump. If Clinton really is up 9-10 nationally, she's going to not just take all the known swings, but put places like Zona and georgia legit in play and destroy down ballot.

Remember, a big big big key to winning Senate/House is depressing GOP voters. If the polls are showing a large Hillary win in late October, a lot of soft Republican/Trump supporters will stay home. His base will come out but the guys holding their nose to vote for him won't and if polls show Hillary up 7 or 8, the reality will end up being more 10-12.

It is imperative that the Dems keep the pressure on. He has to lose big.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I am going to refer to Trump as "Idiot Diet-Hitler" from now on when I hear his supporters complain about his polling.

"Nobody told you guys to nominate idiot diet-hitler to your ticket"

Nah Tim's is in the garage trying to get a belt out of the parts dryer he bought at a garage sale over the weekend.
So what your saying is, I can borrow the station wagon tonight?

Fox News was a mistake. The first line of their reporting on their poll:

Sixty-one percent of voters think Hillary Clinton is dishonest, yet she’s opened up a big lead over Donald Trump in the latest Fox News Poll.

Like, do conservatives not get subtle?

Grief.exe

The crosstabs on the Fox News poll don't look quite right to me which could explain why it's a slight outlier

The white vote and the no degree vote sticks out to me, but that's just my initial reaction.

Co99Xd0VIAAlb79.jpg:large

Emarv

Oh, i remember Kizinger now. Dude has been pretty outspoken about his distaste for Trump on CNN for the past few months.

The crosstabs on the Fox News poll don't look quite right to me which could explain why it's a slight outlier

The white vote and the no degree vote sticks out to me, but that's just my initial reaction.

Co99Xd0VIAAlb79.jpg:large

Eh, if She's actually up 7 right now, an outcome of +10 is normal. Remember, no pollster can just nail it dead on every poll. The key is to be within range.

I need historical reference here. Last time we had a candidate this high above the other in August? What happened to that race?

Bush had a huge lead over Gore in early August, but those numbers need to be understood in context. The RNC was at the beginning of the month and the DNC was in the middle of August that year.

NeoXChaos

Updated Thread Assignment

PolIGAF 2016 Electoral College and Popular Vote Sweepstakes
August 1st 2016 - September 5th, 2016

PoliGAF 2016 House and Senate Election Sweepstakes
September 6th, 2016 - September 19th, 2016

September 26th, 2016
1st Presidential Debate-b-dubs
October 4th, 2016
Vice Presidential Debate-pigeon
October 9th, 2016
2nd Presidential Debate-Paskil
October 19th, 2016
3rd Presidential Debate-Holmes
November 8th, 2016
United States General Election-Aaron Strife

January 20th, 2017
Inauguration Day 2017 - TBD after November 8th.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Why do people think Trump dropping out is a real possibility? Did I miss something today?

They don't, the media is just frothing at the mouth over the idea of something crazy happening. There's no indication whatsoever its even a vague possibility and nobody at all that's actually in the GOP leadership has publicly suggested it. The reason they won't is likely that they literally cannot actually do it. They would need to convince Donald Trump to drop out of the race within the next week or so or they would lose several states by default, but part of Trump's problem is that he won't play ball with Republican leadership. Having Trump step down would require him to a) admit he was losing, and b) admit he was losing before some important deadline and quit for the good of the party.

Unless Trump continues to meltdown on the regular, Clinton isn't winning by 10. She's probably 'really' up by seven or so and the other three points are white conservatives shook up by the last week. If Trump will just STFU they'll fall back in line.

mo60

How could you not?

Those indicators are like really really bad.

Most pollsters just ask who you'd vote for. This one asked specific type questions and all that matter were really bad for Trump.

If nothing changes, this is a really bad blowout for Trump. If Clinton really is up 9-10 nationally, she's going to not just take all the known swings, but put places like Zona and georgia legit in play and destroy down ballot.

Remember, a big big big key to winning Senate/House is depressing GOP voters. If the polls are showing a large Hillary win in late October, a lot of soft Republican/Trump supporters will stay home. His base will come out but the guys holding their nose to vote for him won't and if polls show Hillary up 7 or 8, the reality will end up being more 10-12.

It is imperative that the Dems keep the pressure on. He has to lose big.

If it looks like that she will win by 10+ points in november she may win some states we never thought she would win at this point besides the obvious swing states in this election cycle.

Unless Trump continues to meltdown on the regular, Clinton isn't winning by 10. She's probably 'really' up by seven or so and the other three points are white conservatives shook up by the last week. If Trump will just STFU they'll fall back in line.
I agree.. But with the bolded.. There's the rub.. I don't know if anyone is going to put him back in the corner.

Ophelion

Yeah, but he won't. Clearly, he won't. If he had any intention to STFU, he woulda done it by now, surely. Meanwhile, Clinton's going to be just quietly traveling the country in her bus, shaking hands and kissing babies like a normal politician.

This whole election season is just going to be "please proceed" stretched over several months.

Sam Wang estimated Trump's convention bounce to be roughly 1 point (Silver said 3-4 but he jumped the gun as other polls came out after he posted that). And in reality, there might have been a negative bump but it wasn't seen cuz of response rate bias.

Wang estimated Hillary's at 7. Seems like that's around where it's settling 7-8, which is I think the largest in quite a few elections.

I think it's safe to say the DNC was a success and the RNC was an unmitigated disaster.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I agree.. But with the bolded.. There's the rub.. I don't know if anyone is going to put him back in the corner.

The thing is that most of Donald's message are things that don't shake anyone up - saying he hates terrorists, Obama(care) and foreigners resonates with the base.

hawk2025

Do we know the order of the questions?

Do they start by asking who you are voting for, or do they start with the other questions?

you forget the debates are coming. Those have a very large impact on undecideds and "casual" voters- and those will not end well for Trump- assuming he doesn't back out from them and run screaming for the hills.

I had the general at about +12 hillary- and I think that's being conservative.

The thing is that most of Donald's message are things that don't shake anyone up - saying he hates terrorists, Obama(care) and foreigners resonates with the base.
True but shit like the nukes and his feud with the Khans are resonating with people though.

Another personal anecdote for trump leaners .. My parents are even saying that they aren't voting for him and vote a third party.

Edit: top of the page.. Damn it.. Uh.. Fuck the Steelers.

Nate Silver's model updates.

Polls-Plus 69.4%

Polls-Only 73.2%

Now-Cast - 88.5%

The forward models are almost back to where they started.

mo60

Clinton probably can't win by +10, but this could mean she could win by like +6.5 or so, which would be huge.

She's facing one of the worst people to be nominated for president ever. I think a 10 point victory is definitely possible as long as she makes no major mistakes between now and november 8th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom