• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Supreme Court blocks bathroom choice for transgender student

A Virginia school board may temporarily block a transgender student who was born a girl from using the boys' bathroom while a legal fight over transgender rights proceeds on appeal, the U.S. Supreme Court said on Wednesday.

The case is the first time the fight over transgender bathroom rights has reached the Supreme Court.

In a brief order, the Supreme Court stayed an order from a lower court that had permitted the high school student to use the bathroom of his choice.

The eight-member court voted 5-3 to stay the lower court's order. Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan would have denied the school board's request that it be able to block a student from exercising choice in use of a bathroom, according to the Supreme Court's order.

Last year, the American Civil Liberties Union sued on behalf of Gavin Grimm, 17, to challenge the Gloucester County School Board's bathroom policy, which requires transgender students to use alternative restroom facilities.

One more justice won't be enough. Breyer, Roberts, Kennedy, Alito, and Thomas all voted to stay the order.

Tell me you don't see it

nlM54g4.jpg
I see it.. But comparing him to Gene Wilder in anyway is just.. Wrong.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Pence is dead man walking, has nothing left for him in politics so he's kind of married to this shit show

Again -- and this goes for every establishment GOP figure -- they all are. They all are! They can see it, too. Meaning, if you know you're about to die and you're sitting next to the girl you love and you never told her, you'll tell her. Or in this case, your political career is tied to the most dangerous candidate in history, then you try to scratch out a little dignity at the last moment.

People need to stop saying there's no viable exit strategy. There are lots.

NeoXChaos

Kyle Kondik ‏@kkondik 6h6 hours ago
Kyle Kondik Retweeted David Beard
Would think Trump carries Tarrant. He cld lose Maricopa, Orange, and Salt Lake (which Obama actually carried in 08)
In other words, seems possible that Clinton could carry 49/50 most populous counties in the nation
Maricopa accounted for more than 2/3rds of Romney's statewide margin. If HRC could somehow win it, AZ definitely in play

Kyle Kondik Retweeted Nick Riccardi
I also wonder if Orange Co. (CA) is winnable for HRC. Obama only lost it by 6 in 2012, clearly trending blue

ampere

sorry but i can't help but keep watching that clip from Joe Scarborough / Squints N Giggles about Trump asking why we can't use nuclear weapons.

I've watched it maybe 20x today. Every time I recoil in horror and every time the room goes silent -- even for that brief moment -- I can't help but wonder how many Americans are having a simultaneous existential crisis.

https://twitter.com/Morning_Joe/status/760790261370753025

I know there have been a lot of 'oh, this is the moment' moments in the past 7 months. This is the moment. Oh my god.

This has always been my biggest issue with Trump. It is not safe for him to have control over nuclear weapons. If it's not safe for a candidate to have control over nuclear weapons, they cannot be president. Period.

Anyone who isn't supremely uneducated and uninformed and is voting for Trump is a complete idiot and deserves zero respect.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
the answer is: because he's not acting like a candidate who wants to win, who looks like he's intentionally sabotaging his campaign, who has little staff, no real campaign plans or infrastructure to execute, and has most recently bitten the one hand propping up his candidacy -- the mass willingness of GOP establishment to let his candidacy go on.

CCS

Banned
Give it 40 years CCS, and the system will look even more appealing, though the results will have swung all over the place.

Or, as the great Danish polymath Piet Hein put it:

Other way round. We got rid of most gerrymandering 150 years or so back.

I guess that's the wisdom of age that I'm yet to acquire.

I swear that's not meant as a dig, didn't realise how it sounded :p

sorry but i can't help but keep watching that clip from Joe Scarborough / Squints N Giggles about Trump asking why we can't use nuclear weapons.

I've watched it maybe 20x today. Every time I recoil in horror and every time the room goes silent -- even for that brief moment -- I can't help but wonder how many Americans are having a simultaneous existential crisis.

https://twitter.com/Morning_Joe/status/760790261370753025

I know there have been a lot of 'oh, this is the moment' moments in the past 7 months. This is the moment. Oh my god.

"Just.....

...pull your endorsements."

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I guess that's the wisdom of age that I'm yet to acquire.

I swear that's not meant as a dig, didn't realise how it sounded :p

I suppose it is the wisdom of age that I didn't even take it that way? :)

Thing is, partisan politics looks really really important when you're younger (and I'm an ex Plaid Cymru member to prove it). Over time it is the general drift in society that matters, and party politics is only a teeny tiny portion of that. Important and influential yes, but not as be-all and end-all as it seemed.

Well, except in America, with the Supreme Court and all.

I'll consider it a failure of the Clinton campaign if they can't drive that number to the single digits before the election.

Well the Florida number is more important, since you have more conservative latino voters there who can bump a conservative candidate and his numbers are in the tank.

Nationwide, where else does it really matter? Only Arizona and New Mexico.

And Texas down the line.

the answer is: because he's not acting like a candidate who wants to win, who looks like he's intentionally sabotaging his campaign, who has little staff, no real campaign plans or infrastructure to execute, and has most recently bitten the one hand propping up his candidacy -- the mass willingness of GOP establishment to let his candidacy go on.

thats fine but he raised a fuckton of money last month with no infrastructure

Wilsongt

YAAAAAAAAS. just listened to a bitch get scalped on NpR when she called in and said she supports voter ID laws and everyone should have a photo ID to get through life, anyway.

CCS

Banned
I suppose it is the wisdom of age that I didn't even take it that way? :)

Thing is, partisan politics looks really really important when you're younger (and I'm an ex Plaid Cymru member to prove it). Over time it is the general drift in society that matters, and party politics is only a teeny tiny portion of that. Important and influential yes, but not as be-all and end-all as it seemed.

Well, except in America, with the Supreme Court and all.

I wonder how working for an non partisan public body will affect my view of politics. Maybe I'll be able to look past the partisanship to the more general drift you talk about.

I've already stopped supporting Corbyn and left Labour, so that's a start :p

I'm really curious about what comes next for Trump. Does he try to start his own channel, like Palin did? Get another ghostwritten book out there to cash in?

I doubt he'd want to, or be able to, fade out of the public eye, so what does he do? Start a new religion?

Go on television more. He'll be a perpetual criticizer of everything. And he'll make bank on it too.

Why do people think Trump dropping out is a real possibility? Did I miss something today?

People think the GOP can still boot the guy (they wish). The only thing they can do is boot themselves and start mass endorsing Gary Johnson.

Honestly, is anyone jumping on campaign merch that pushes Cruz's "Vote Your Conscience" line? Because that would go a long way to pushing Republican turnout down. It's not an endorsement of any single candidate, so it pushes a small group to Clinton, a larger group to Johnson, my mom to the Constitution Party (lol), and probably the largest chunk to not voting at all.

I could see a ton of "Vote Your Conscience" yard signs and bumper stickers having an effect here.

Also, I don't think anyone really thinks Trump is dropping out. The important point, from my perspective, is that hte media is talking about it. LIke, this is what they've latched onto. This is what has leaked into local media today. That's the important part of the story.

Tobor

Also, I don't think anyone really thinks Trump is dropping out. The important that, from my perspective, is that hte media is talking about it. LIke, this is what they've latched onto. This is what has leaked into local media today. That's the important part of the story.

This is a good point. That it's even being discussed is good news for Clinton.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I wonder how working for an non partisan public body will affect my view of politics. Maybe I'll be able to look past the partisanship to the more general drift you talk about.

I've already stopped supporting Corbyn and left Labour, so that's a start :p

I guess you'll learn fairly quickly to separate the policy from the practicality (which in the public mind are often more-or-less the same thing), but otherwise it kind of depends which public body it is - they each have their own internal biases, not necessarily along party lines but more along budgetary ones.

Policy=build a wall. Practicality=how big, how long, how much, how many years, how financed, how resourced, what impact. Real life=why the fuck should we build a wall when we could be subsidising healthcare, but that's a different department.

CCS

Banned
I guess you'll learn fairly quickly to separate the policy from the practicality (which in the public mind are often more-or-less the same thing), but otherwise it kind of depends which public body it is - they each have their own internal biases, not necessarily along party lines but more along budgetary ones.

Policy=build a wall. Practicality=how big, how long, how much, how many years, how financed, how resourced, what impact. Real life=why the fuck should we build a wall when we could be subsidising healthcare, but that's a different department.

It's monetary policy, so it's less budget oriented and more desperate panic at the moment :p

From Fox Poll:

Finally, 77 percent of voters are familiar with the exchange between Trump and the parents of a Muslim-American soldier who died while serving in Iraq. Some 69 percent of them describe Trump’s criticism of the Khan family as “out of bounds.” Among Republicans, 40 percent think his response was “in bounds,” while 41 percent say “out of bounds,” and 19 percent are unsure.
The poll finds a couple things that could bode well for the incumbent party, most notably a positive rating for the president. A 52-percent majority approves of the job Barack Obama’s doing as president. Forty-five percent disapprove. Those are his best marks since May 2011, soon after U.S. forces killed Usama bin Laden, when 55 percent approved and 41 percent disapproved.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
It's monetary policy, so it's less budget oriented and more desperate panic at the moment :p

In which case, may you live in interesting times! Good time to get into it though, you'd learn bugger-all there if there were nothing interesting going on.

Reminds me of my brother-in-law who ran a bank (a long time ago and in a different country) at a particularly difficult time. He described all his troubles in some detail over a few beers and I asked him what he did next. "Well, we panicked ..."

Farmboy

Actually, supporting Johnson is probably a strategic mistake for the NeverTrump crowd. They wouldn't want the Libertarian Party to get the 5% they need to qualify for federal funding, since that means they'll stick around to hurt their percentages in 2020.

Honestly, their best course of action is to support Hillary. But most of them just can't bring themselves to do it.

Do you think Hillary Clinton has the knowledge to serve effectively as President?
Yes-72%
No-26%

Do you think Donald Trump has the knowledge to serve effectively as President?
Yes-40%
No-59%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom