• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

Joe Weisenthal
‏@TheStalwart
"... there's nothing Trump can do that won't be forgiven. Except change his immigration policies." -- @AnnCoulter in her new book.

Well that's pretty funny. I also think she's wrong, though.

As fun as the crazy Hillary maps are where she's winning South Carolina and Indiana, I'm starting to come around to the notion that she should be focusing on shoring up the usual swing states and running up the numbers there.

Ticket splitting is at an all time low, which means even stronger Senate incumbents like Portman, Rubio or even Grassley could find themselves roadkill if Clinton is steamrolling Trump at the top of the ticket. The Senate map is disproportionately focused in Obama 08 states, the only vulnerable GOPers in states that have never voted for him are Blunt and McCain. Indiana is looking like a strong pickup for Democrats but that has little to do with anything in the national environment.

Even if you're looking at the House, if Clinton beat Trump by 10 points (compared to Obama beating Romney by 4) she would flip 30 House districts (assuming even swing, obv this isn't a perfect metric). With the exception of AZ-1 and TX-23, these flipping districts would all be in Obama 12 states.

If polling looks strong after Labor Day, I would definitely want some kind of operation set up in Arizona and Georgia (GA doesn't have any significant downballot races worth targeting, but it's an important long-term investment) especially since Colorado and Virginia seem to have been taken off the board. But what does a mandate look like? A president who won over 400 EVs but has a 50-50 Senate and a GOP House majority to contend with, or one who simply replicated Obama's map but has a firm Senate majority and maybe even a slim House majority? I would much rather have the latter.

So, that Reuters/IPSOS thing is kind of cool

http://www.reuters.com/statesofthenation/

They use a 15,000 panel survey to determine the state of the race in each state. I mean, some if it is obviously 100% batshit wrong PA and CO are no where near as close as they pretend, and FL isn't "high confidence Hillary" while Michigan is a tossup....

But it's interesting how you can play with the turnout model.

Gotchaye

I think diet racists care. It makes him more palletable to racist white women.

Maybe a little. But they want what amounts to mass deportation - that's why they're diet racists.

I think his core problem here is that you can't maintain parallel messages like this when both sides are going to be really interested in figuring out what you really mean. If there's any sign that people who don't want mass deportation believe that Trump also does not want it, the pro- deportation crowd will get really antsy and demand clarification from him. And vice versa. I don't believe that occupying an ambiguous middle ground helps him because just about the only way you can cover that is "Trump has no idea what he wants to do with immigrants".

Pretending to appeal to a group in order to actually appeal to people who don't like that group but who are pretending that they do like that group is mostly about providing an argument that the thing your supporters want done is actually also what the group they don't like should want. A play like this from Trump would be talking up the virtues of legal immigrants and how they're the true victims of illegal immigrants coming in and doing all the raping and really this is about doing what's best for immigrants who did it the right way.

Kangi

They use a 15,000 panel survey to determine the state of the race in each state. I mean, some if it is obviously 100% batshit wrong PA and CO are no where near as close as they pretend, and FL isn't "high confidence Hillary" while Michigan is a tossup....

Not to mention Maine leaning Trump...

Joeytj

Banned

So that's what those things are.

Nate applied an A- rating to all of them.. I mean, come on. PA at just +1 Hillary while she's at +7 in Missouri?

Joeytj

Banned
Ya. I'm not sure how I feel about these being included in a model, but whatever. Doesn't make much difference anyway, I guess.

The model will probably just cancel each state out, like MO +7 cancels PA +1 and FL +7 cancels Wisconsin's +1, and the national race remains the same.

Debirudog

Well, I hope this works. But also, I get how Hillary doesn't think she did anything wrong, but she at least has to fake some humility or admit she could've handle it better. She doesn't have to give a big speech, just laugh it off in the debates or maybe tomorrow at the MSNBC town hall.

If we're talking about the foundation charity stuff, then no, absolutely not. Hillary's right on this one.

WTF at nigel farage talking right now

none of these people know about Brexit or the british system or the EU. They're literally just going yeah anti-immigration

He pretty much endorsed trump

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
LOL at people saying Trump's base won't vote for him if he offers amnesty. Wrong. Their hatred of Hillary far exceeds their hatred of immigrants. They'll vote for him no matter what he says.

Says who?

People .Some people are saying it. Many people. But, ya, PA is not a 1 point race. It's just not. Same with Michigan. Same with Wisconsin. But it's an interesting thing.

But, a couple things. The rating is just based on the Pollster. IPSOS tends to get a good rating from Nate. The samples in some of these polls are minuscule. The sample size in NM, for example, is 114. In Montana, it's 100. The fun part is messing with the turnout model. If you increase 18-30 year olds from 13 to 16%, Hillary's electoral college vote jumps. It's kind of cool.

User1608

Banned
Yep, no amnesty. As expected, at least going by what what orange just said on this stream.
*Probably spoke too soon.

Yeah, you don't consider anybody who is non-white human Trump, we know.

What's trumps position now? Just not deporting 11 million people?

Well you see...

A4FDJdN.gif

Just turned on CNN and it says in the bottom third they're going to have an interview with Queen "soon"? Wonder if she's going to try tackling the Clinton Foundation stuff head-on. Anyone catch what that's about/do we know?

What the hell just happened at FiveThirtyEight.com?

An insane amount of polls from Ipsos/Reuters just came in. They show Hillary losing Arizona by about 7 points, just like the CNN poll, but also her winning Missouri by 7!

These are...weird numbers. Hillary is underperforming in some blue states, but over performing in other red states (Arkansas?!). Maybe Trump stopped the bleeding of suburban Republicans? That would explain his good number in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Minnesota, but his bad numbers in Florida and Ohio.

Hillary ;

Missouri +7
New Hampshire +1
Wisconsin +1
North Carolina +2
Oregon +4
Penn +1
Virginia +6
Ohio + 7
Florida +7
Minnesota (?) +9
New Mexico +3
Nevada +2

Iowa ± 0

Trump:

Arizona +7
Georgia +4
Arkansas +5
Montana +7
Texas +13 (...)
Utah +10

Surveys were taking a long time ago, half from August 12-19 and the others from jul 29-19, so some still include pre-DNC bounce and Trump meltdown numbers.

Being out July 29th - August 19th is very bad!

pigeon

Banned
Maybe a little. But they want what amounts to mass deportation - that's why they're diet racists.

I think his core problem here is that you can't maintain parallel messages like this when both sides are going to be really interested in figuring out what you really mean. If there's any sign that people who don't want mass deportation believe that Trump also does not want it, the pro- deportation crowd will get really antsy and demand clarification from him. And vice versa. I don't believe that occupying an ambiguous middle ground helps him because just about the only way you can cover that is "Trump has no idea what he wants to do with immigrants".

This more or less covers my position, except that I think it's also important to note that Trump isn't occupying an ambiguous middle ground -- he's clearly stating he is for mass deportations and then saying he isn't any more. This is ambiguous ON AVERAGE but not in individual instances! It's just self-contradictory.

Basically, I don't want to go all Crab on people here, but let's divide all voters into four groups based on their racism and information level: informed racists, uninformed racists, informed normals, and uninformed normals.

If you think this move will help Trump, identify which group you think will change their mind and why, and then identify why the exact same argument doesn't apply in reverse to the diagonally opposite group.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
OK wow at the weights Nate applied to those polls! In most cases they are the heaviest weighted!

This more or less covers my position, except that I think it's also important to note that Trump isn't occupying an ambiguous middle ground -- he's clearly stating he is for mass deportations and then saying he isn't any more. This is ambiguous ON AVERAGE but not in individual instances! It's just self-contradictory.

Basically, I don't want to go all Crab on people here, but let's divide all voters into four groups based on their racism and information level: informed racists, uninformed racists, informed normals, and uninformed normals.

If you think this move will help Trump, identify which group you think will change their mind and why, and then identify why the exact same argument doesn't apply in reverse to the diagonally opposite group.

Informed racists. White women who say, "Oh...I can't vote for that," with full on racist Trump but diet Racist Trump...we'll, we're ok with that. Because they shouldn't be citizens anyway. I mean why doesn't it make intuitive sense that moderating his position will attract those who have more moderate positions?

Debirudog

Honestly, a lot of Oregon people hate Hillary despite hating Trump as well. A lot of people there expressed wanting a third party candidate. The college kids here love Bernie as a messiah. When Bernie came to our university, some were apparently caressing his arms and shoulders as if he was Jesus Christ himself.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Honestly, a lot of Oregon people hate Hillary despite hating Trump as well. A lot of people there expressed wanting a third party candidate. The college kids here love Bernie as a messiah. When Bernie came to our university, some were apparently caressing his arms and shoulders as if he was Jesus Christ himself.

No offense but those people sound like the stereotype the rest of the country has for Oregon.

mo60

Did he seriously call her a bigot? Dude, fuck off. After what he has said about minorities all these decades...

I have seen politicans trying to appeal to minorities by doing something similar to what trump did today when trying to appeal to minorities but usually they don't call their opponent a bigot even though hilary is not one.

Behind pay wall, but still a nice tease on Cincinnati Republicans voting for Hillary - and in at least one case, volunteering for her.

Rob Kearney is a lifelong Republican, a U.S. Army veteran, a foreign policy buff and a regular door-knocking campaigner for local GOP candidates.

But this fall his volunteer hours -- and his vote -- will go to Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton.

“I voted for every Republican presidential nominee," said Kearney, 40, of Mt. Washington. "This is the first year I won’t be doing that. It’s a little weird.”

Kearney isn’t changing his party -- or his conservative beliefs. He just believes Donald Trump would be a bad president.

He would have preferred Ohio Gov. John Kasich, who he considers a more moderate Republican.

“I thought it was laughable that he (Trump) could win the nomination,” Kearney said. “And when he did, that’s when I went to Hillary Clinton’s website and … said 'I’d like to volunteer for your campaign and go door to door.'”

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Man trump surrogates have gotten even worse this week.

It's a pivot but it's not.

This is ridiculous. CNN has my head spinning.

Also trump calling Hillary a bigot. I don't know what the hell is going on.

royalan

THIS IS HILARIOUS

Rachel - "The ideological vetting, the 'extreme vetting', that Donald Trump says has a Cold War precedent does indeed have a Cold War precedent. It was attempted...but ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court."

Kellyanne - "Well, we can have a discussion about what is and what isn't constitutional, or we can talk about what the American people want."

Conway is smart and would be a really scary campaign manager in a normal election. Her candidate just undercuts her because he is not making the campaign about the issues or policy. It feels like she is trying to sell Trump as generic GOP and pretending like you can hit reset.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I think the left should be worried about Conway. She's very palatable even when she's lying through her teeth.

Also Clinton needs to put some faces out there to combat this talk.

Dierce

Conway is smart and would be a really scary campaign manager in a normal election. Her candidate just undercuts her because he is not making the campaign about the issues or policy. It feels like she is trying to sell Trump as generic GOP and pretending like you can hit reset.
And they seem to be getting away with it because Clinton's campaign isn't pushing back on their bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom