• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
I bet Lindsay Graham is like the second funniest member of the Senate. He's always seemed really personable and witty in interviews and podcasts.

alternade

It has not been a full week yet and already Trump and the Republicans have exceeded most expectations on how awful they'd be.

Democrats cannot look for ways to work with this man.

Any Democrat found crossing that line needs to be primaried. And from what I've been reading and hearing, I'm not the only one who thinks so.

But that means primarying Soul of Democracy, Bernie Sanders! How can we do that to the one true bearer of justice!?

royalan

Honestly

What the fuck do we do

Dems and media aren't equipped for this

This is the problem, because Dems have no fucking excuse for not knowing better.

Shit is about to get real, and Dems who do not get with the program need to lose their seats.

Voror

Is there any sort of recourse that can be taken? Or does the Republican Party having total control truly prevent anything from being done?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Alexis Levinson Verified account
‏@alexis_levinson

Oversight Chairman Jason Chaffetz asked about fraud investigation, gives a sigh: "I just don't see any evidence of it."

When even Chaffetz isn't on board for an investigation benefiting republicans, you know you're wrong.

thefro

Is there any sort of recourse that can be taken? Or does the Republican Party having total control truly prevent anything from being done?

Lawsuits can stop quite a few of the executive orders.

The Republicans in the Senate are limited in the stuff they can push through in reconciliation, so they need 60 votes for most of the big stuff.

As far as getting Trump out of office it'd take Congress impeaching/convicting him or Pence/Trump Cabinet saying he's mentally unfit to serve.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Honestly

What the fuck do we do

Dems and media aren't equipped for this

As I said earlier, I think this is the wakeup call for the media. So many people will be depending on them, and I think we're going to see investigative reporting and stories broken that rival the Nixon days.

Teddified

Didn't the whole 3 mil illegals voting rumor start because of one guys tweet? I remember being incredulous and looking it up when I heard my dad mention it during thanksgiving or christmas.

There is no "evidence" besides that no?

GutsOfThor

It has not been a full week yet and already Trump and the Republicans have exceeded most expectations on how awful they'd be.

Democrats cannot look for ways to work with this man.

Any Democrat found crossing that line needs to be primaried. And from what I've been reading and hearing, I'm not the only one who thinks so.

Yes sir!

I'm going to be watching my senators and representatives like a fucking hawk.

Plinko

It won't matter

Fake news

I think it will. That will only work for so long, especially when so many Trump voters are going to be hurt by his/GOP's policies.

Everybody keeps comparing it to the past, but think about it: This is the first time they have full control in ages, and they're going to EVERYTHING they want now. It's going to be much worse, and I think to the point where even these people are like, "No more."

Plinko

By the way, somebody inside the White House is leaking docs to Vox:

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...eaked-drafts-trump-immigrants-executive-order

But on Wednesday afternoon, Trump signed two executive orders on immigration that word-for-word matched the drafts we'd received. Given that our source had early access to two documents that were proven accurate, and that all the orders closely align with Trump's stated policies on the campaign trail, we are reporting on the remaining four.

chadskin

Just incredible:

Mr. Trump kicked off the meeting [with House and Senate leaders], participants said, by retelling his debunked claim that he would have won the popular vote if not for the three million to five million ballots cast by ”illegals." He followed it up with a Twitter post early Wednesday calling for a major investigation into voter fraud.

When one of the Democrats protested, Mr. Trump said he was told a story by ”the very famous golfer, Bernhard Langer," whom he described as a friend, according to three staff members who were in the room for the meeting.

In the emerging Trump era, the story was a memorable example, for the legislators and the country, of how an off-the-cuff yarn — unverifiable and of confusing origin — became a prime policy mover for a president whose fact-gathering owes more to the oral tradition than the written word.

The three witnesses recall the story this way: Mr. Langer, a 59-year-old native of Bavaria, Germany — a winner of the Masters twice and of more than 100 events on major professional golf tours around the world — was standing in line at a polling place near his home in Florida on Election Day, the president explained, when an official informed Mr. Langer he would not be able to vote.

Ahead of and behind Mr. Langer were voters who did not look as if they should be allowed to vote, Mr. Trump said, according to the staff members — but they were nonetheless permitted to cast provisional ballots. The president threw out the names of Latin American countries that the voters might have come from.

Mr. Langer, whom he described as a supporter, left feeling frustrated, he said.

The anecdote, the aides said, was greeted with silence, and Mr. Trump was prodded to change the subject by Reince Priebus, the White House chief of staff, and Senator John Cornyn, Republican of Texas.

Just one problem: Mr. Langer, who lives in Boca Raton, Fla., is a German citizen with permanent residence status in the United States who is, by law, barred from voting, according to Mr. Langer's daughter Christina.

”He is a citizen of Germany," she said, when reached on her father's cellphone. ”He is not a friend of President Trump's, and I don't know why he would talk about him."

She said her father was ”very busy" and would not be able to answer any questions.

But a senior White House staff member, who was not at the Monday reception but has heard Mr. Trump tell the story, said Mr. Langer saw Mr. Trump in Florida during the Thanksgiving break and told him the story of a friend of Mr. Langer's who had been blocked from voting.
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/25/us/politics/trump-bernhard-langer-voting-fraud.html

Teggy

So not a single of the banned refugee states is the source of an attack on US soil. And all of the ones that are have Trump properties. I mean come on...

Ivanka, I always knew you were the good one in the family!
Fuck it, I'm going to say it.

If Ivanka is the Augustus to Trump's Julius, just skip over the rest of the shit that happens between. No civil wars please, I just don't think I can live with Trump Prime for the next 4+ years.

This is just more erosion of norms though that Crab brought up earlier. You don't violate norms with reckless abandon because your opposition will do the same. You enshrine and entrench norms so they can't be violated.

To use a flipped party example, it was absolutely an affront to constitutional norms when FDR kept running for President. We let it happen until he was gone, then locked that up so it was the highest level of illegal. That's what you do here.

We should be keeping a record of all the shit the GOP does that we find to be in conflict with our systems of government, and then when we can, make it impossible to get rid of our locks against such behavior.

I largely agree with your sentiment. If constitutional norms will be respected, you have an incentive to do that. If you are unsure that they will, however, the only means of making sure that they are is maintaining a constant strong presence in the legislative. If you cannot do that, then all you achieve will be for naught.

Either way, that kinda thing only comes in play after you've secured (and maintained) position of power. Until then, all you'd be practicing is unilateral disarmament. On the other hand, if you've the presidency and it already looks highly god damn unlikely that you'll have a sane legislative in the near future, even if the best scenario happens and you keep the prez...

That feeling when someone posts tactic support for Assad and you see that they only post once a month and every post is defending Russia or Russian allies.

>_>

sangreal

the gop got found one sympathetic judge in texas willing to issue nationwide injuctions against obama's executive orders. We could try that I suppose

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

Ah. Maybe that's where the 3 million illegal voters in Trump's investigation will come from. It'll be the names of 3 million people that voted who also aren't white, therefore, look like they shouldn't be voting in America. After all, they COULD be undocumented, they COULD be from another country, hmm! Makes you think!

The entire "report" is probably just going to be a lurid fanfic written personally by Bannon, who will do so while in his bunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom