• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vixdean

Just remember in places like my home state of Michigan people voted for Trump because of the economy*...

*Spoiler alert: Michigan added 30,000 manufacturing jobs from 2010 to 2015 in the automotive sector and median household income rose from $48,198 in 2010 to $53,628 in 2015. Income per capita in the region grew 13.6 percent since 2010. That number grew 4.2 percent from 2015 to 2016.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2017/01/automotive_jobs.html

It's almost like the entire narrative about there being a legitimate economic reason to vote for Trump was mostly bullshit. Mostly.......

kzcU7Rn.png

The unchecked expansion of the executive office is something even congressional GOPers should be concerned about, it's ridiculous that they aren't

He's taking power from them and they're happy to pass it along because it'll make them a little richer and/or they hate black people that much

UberTag

Just remember in places like my home state of Michigan people voted for Trump because of the economy*...

*Spoiler alert: Michigan added 30,000 manufacturing jobs from 2010 to 2015 in the automotive sector and median household income rose from $48,198 in 2010 to $53,628 in 2015. Income per capita in the region grew 13.6 percent since 2010. That number grew 4.2 percent from 2015 to 2016.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2017/01/automotive_jobs.html
Now if Hillary had actually bothered to campaign in Michigan, perhaps some of the locals could have been informed of these facts. 'Cause I doubt very much they're going to see similar improvement over the next 4 years.

Wilsongt

giphy.gif

The US had an... Okay rub. All it took to ruin it was apathetic voters allowing for a walking betacarotine molecule to become president.

The unchecked expansion of the executive office is something even congressional GOPers should be concerned about, it's ridiculous that they aren't

He's taking power from them and they're happy to pass it along because it'll make them a little richer and/or they hate black people that much

I think they're probably assuming (correctly) that they'll never have to worry about democrats again and will remain in power forever.

Those voter disenfranchisement laws will backfire hard eventually.

Have they ever? Worst that happens usually is that they become fair. So it's kind of a "try. you got fuckall to lose" deal.

Which is why whoever replaces Snyder might wanna look into destroying rural polling stations and allathat :D

I think they're probably assuming (correctly) that they'll never have to worry about democrats again and will remain in power forever.
It's a really poor assumption

The backlash from this all is going to make 2008 look like a good year for the GOP. They're pushing too hard, too quickly.

And then the GOP has a sitting Dem president with all of these new found powers.
Have they ever? Worst that happens usually is that they become fair. So it's kind of a "try. you got fuckall to lose" deal.
Yes? Didn't the Democrats control congress for like a decade or more after the VRA?

We've never seen a president like Trump before, so I'm fully operating under the assumption that any backlash will be quelled by his administration as he goes on to win many elections.

mo60

Also, has obama ever signed as many executive order as trump has in his first week or two in office because it's kinda crazy how many executive orders trump is signing or planning to sign now. We may be looking at least 100 executive orders from trump by late March or earlier April at this point.

Also, has obama ever signed as many executive order as trump has in his first week or two in office because it's kinda crazy how many executive orders trump is signing or planning to sign now. We may be looking at least 100 executive orders from trump by late March or earlier April at this point.

Thar u g

So how many of these executive orders actually mean something and how many are just posturing for stuff that's going to get voted on and would have to pass the democrats in the congress or senate? Like can the President really just do all this crazy shit? Our country is the worst.

Dierce

So like the tyrant wannabe mother fucker this orange shit infested pedophile will continue issuing executive orders after executive order.

I don't know whether I hate orange turds supporters more or those assholes sanders and green purists who are equally responsible for all this.

I like how Bams is on the lower end of the last few presidents

I feel you might wanna reconsider that stance.

Obama took it slow. For what? I can see no obvious benefit from that. He certainly practiced government overreach in other ways. One can maybe try for the argument that it helped him get reelected, but then, why not scale it up during the second term? Republicans were already bitching about gross government overreach anyway, and moved the goalposts from number of orders to their content.

As i see it, the lesson to take from this is that when you do have power, you should god damn use it, and use it as much as you can to do whatever you can to help the people that you wanna help, because you sure as fuck won't have much time on top in a modern democracy. This can be seen quite well with the ACA. Thank the fucking gods that they pushed that thing through any way they could, because even if it gets torn down later, at least you helped a fuckload of people while it lasted. Do what you can while you still can.

republicans certainly seem to understand that.

Paul Ryan is such a piece of garbage.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/republican-agenda-retreat-obamacare-wall-tax-cuts-234176

PHILADELPHIA — House Speaker Paul Ryan on Wednesday outlined a packed legislative agenda for this year in which Republicans would repeal and replace Obamacare by April, fund Donald Trump’s border wall shortly after that and approve a sweeping tax reform package by August.

Ryan (R-Wis.) laid out the timetable at a Republican retreat here. Sources told POLITICO that he also dismissed suggestions that Congress would pass tax cuts that aren’t paid for — an apparent response to a POLITICO report Wednesday that some Trump administration officials were considering tax cuts without corresponding spending cuts revenue increases.

During the first major session of the gathering, Ryan pulled out a “Gantt chart,” like those used for construction projects. Ryan, a big fan of charts and wonky policy briefings, said he was inspired by Trump, a builder. It showed three horizontal lines of work the Senate, the House and the White House would complete over the course of the first 200 days of the Trump administration.

Ryan said he shared the chart with Trump, who gave both his approval and an assurance that he would use his bully pulpit to corral needed votes or blunt opposition. That prompted a standing ovation and cheers.

Up first on the to-do list, unsurprisingly, was repealing and replacing Obamacare. Ryan said he’d like to pass the fast-track repeal bill by March or April. He talked about three parts of the process: legislation passed by Congress; administrative actions to stabilize the insurance market, led by Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price, assuming he is confirmed; and any needed replacement legislation. The latter will need Democratic support to pass the Senate’s higher 60-vote threshold.

Capitol Hill would then turn to tax reform, which Ryan estimated would take from April through August, when lawmakers break for the summer. According to two sources in the room, Ryan said the tax package would be “revenue neutral,” essentially paying for itself and not adding to the deficit. He dismissed the idea of a major tax cut that's not paid for, one source said — comments that come as some Trump officials consider whether tax reform need not be offset by equivalent revenue increases or spending cuts.

Ryan also said tax reform would mean "lower rates, broader base, upset lobbyists," according to sources present.

Ryan said Congress would also pass an appropriations supplemental bill to bolster the border and national security. While he did not say mention a wall specifically, GOP leadership has been working on a plan to fund Trump's physical barrier or fence through the appropriations process.

It won't happen.

By the way, does anyone have a summary of today's press briefing?

There is existing law on the books for the previous wall which wasn't finished so the GOP could fund the remaining 360 miles without any need for Dems to buy in. Anything greater then that original 720mile would require a new funding bill. If they invoke tarrifs then they could have a coffer of money to fund moving foreward

I feel you might wanna reconsider that stance.

Obama took it slow. For what? I can see no obvious benefit from that. He certainly practiced government overreach in other ways. One can maybe try for the argument that it helped him get reelected, but then, why not scale it up during the second term? Republicans were already bitching about gross government overreach anyway, and moved the goalposts from number of orders to their content.

As i see it, the lesson to take from this is that when you do have power, you should god damn use it, and use it as much as you can to do whatever you can to help the people that you wanna help, because you sure as fuck won't have much time on top in a modern democracy. This can be seen quite well with the ACA. Thank the fucking gods that they pushed that thing through any way they could, because even if it gets torn down later, at least you helped a fuckload of people while it lasted. Do what you can while you still can.

republicans certainly seem to understand that.
I meant it more often in the sense that it's ironic Obama did the least amount, despite the GOP screaming bloody murder that he was going way out of line

Wilsongt

Very cool to see the NPS and NASA employees now going rogue on Twitter. I hope they're actually employees and not some randos.

Are they really employees, or are they just regular people who made those accounts? I'm skeptical to think actual employees did thaf after Badland's National Park announced that they were not the ones who posted the climate stuff and that it was a former employee who still had access to the account.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
whyamihere said:
Ryan also said tax reform would mean "lower rates, broader base, upset lobbyists," according to sources present.

In case anybody needs this translated: Higher taxes on lower-income families.

Tom Bonier ‏@tbonier 35m35 minutes ago

Two people named Reinhold R Priebus, both born in March '72, are registered to vote in Kenosha County, WI. Different addresses. Fraud?

LOL Reince

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom