• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixieking

Banned
I think it was the NPR political podcast that mentioned the possibility of Senate Democrats letting Trump's nominee in but doing what Republicans did to Merrick Garland for any others. Maybe it is better to follow their example instead of blocking it up front. Let the people decide in the November 2020 elections!

I don't think that works all that well... A better idea is to get maybe Schumer or Warren in front of the cameras and say that "Maybe we should let the next President decide who's on the Supreme Court. It works well with 8 members for now." Cruz said it was fine back in October. So, you know what? I think Dems should say fuck it.

Don't we like Schultz? Isn't he one of the more competent leaders of SPD?

He's extremely pro-EU (was the former EU president after all) and also shows that meme magic can be used for good instead of evil. The thread in OT has more insight about him.

Seems like most people expect another GroKo with Merkel and Schulz as Chancellor/Vice-Chancellor, but it could be totally possible that SPD surges in the polls

I also am not sure I've ever seen a picture of him not smiling

The Left are already in ruling coalitions in two states as junior partners with SPD and the Greens. I don't think they're as toxic as AfD.

...man I just wish we had PR so bad.

Not as toxic as AfD (not many legal parties could be), but still toxic on a federal level. Won't happen. SPD has had opportunities before and turned them down (2005, 2013).

The last poll in Germany was on the 30th:

http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/insa.htm

CDU: 32.5
SPD: 26
The Left: 10.5
Greens: 7.5
Free Democratic Party: 6.5
AfD: 13

This is actually the smallest lead that CDU has ever had (day after Schultz announced), but it seems as if this pollster has shown a smaller CDU lead than others.

They'd probably just do another grand coalition if these results bore out.

EDIT: lol the Greens and The Left have like opposite maps

Bundestag_2009_Buendnisgruene.svg

Also I was looking into gubernatorial elections for 2018 and when I was browsing Michigan I saw one of the declared Democrats, Gretchen Whitmer, is uh, actually kind of hot?

I'm not sure how to feel about this information.

Stump is missing an important part: what does the base want? Getting the base energized matters. We all known perception and feelings are more important to people than logic.
The base should have thought about this 4 months ago.

Again, ambivalent on the filibuster because in practical terms it won't make a difference.

And while on the one hand it's good to see people rail against what Trump is doing now, I cannot help but also think, well, maybe you should have cared more on November 8th. Basically. Hey, you're angry now. Okay. What did you think would happen if he was elected?

The base should have thought about this 4 months ago.

Again, ambivalent on the filibuster because in practical terms it won't make a difference.

Trueeeee that.

Also I was looking into gubernatorial elections for 2018 and when I was browsing Michigan I saw one of the declared Democrats, Gretchen Whitmer, is uh, actually kind of hot?

I'm not sure how to feel about this information.

She's also from Lansing, which is good.

chadskin

The last poll in Germany was on the 30th:

http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/insa.htm

CDU: 32.5
SPD: 26
The Left: 10.5
Greens: 7.5
Free Democratic Party: 6.5
AfD: 13

This is actually the smallest lead that CDU has ever had (day after Schultz announced), but it seems as if this pollster has shown a smaller CDU lead than others.

They'd probably just do another grand coalition if these results bore out.

INSA is a somewhat questionable pollster, not least because the head of INSA openly sympathizes with and has 'advised' the AfD in the past. They've also only been around since 2012.

Forsa, Emnid, Allensbach and Forschungsgruppe Wahlen are generally the most trustworthy pollsters.

INSA is a somewhat questionable pollster, not least because the head of INSA openly sympathizes with and has 'advised' the AfD in the past. They've also only been around since 2012.

Forsa, Emnid, Allensbach and Forschungsgruppe Wahlen are generally the most trustworthy pollsters.

Thanks for that. Not always sure of foreign pollsters.

Forschungsgruppe Wahlen's last poll on the 26th (pre-Schultz) was:

CDU: 36
SPD: 24
The Left: 10
Greens: 8
FDP: 6
AfD: 11

Pretty similar, though higher #s for CDU.

And while on the one hand it's good to see people rail against what Trump is doing now, I cannot help but also think, well, maybe you should have cared more on November 8th. Basically. Hey, you're angry now. Okay. What did you think would happen if he was elected?

Yeah, but also, if this is happening, then I'm okay with it happening now versus people shrugging off Trump. My guess is that the Green Party is going to receive 08-level support in 20.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/826650559524532228

Yeah cause people were up in arms over the cost of the trip lmao
Had to search out the video itself:

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/brie...view-of-the-first-year-of-a-trump-presidency/

Honestly, this is the first time i've learned of her "Briefing" sub-campaign thing. It's not all the way there but it is a little more what I'm talking about.

I'm guessing that was something targeted directly at social media and email subscribers for donation and GotV efforts? It certainly wasn't her TV ad campaign, which are all at the HillaryClinton youtube account.

mo60

Thanks for that. Not always sure of foreign pollsters.

Forschungsgruppe Wahlen's last poll on the 26th (pre-Schultz) was:

CDU: 36
SPD: 24
The Left: 10
Greens: 8
FDP: 6
AfD: 11

Pretty similar, though higher #s for CDU.

Yeah, but also, if this is happening, then I'm okay with it happening now versus people shrugging off Trump. My guess is that the Green Party is going to receive 08-level support in 20.

That means they will drop from like 1.46 millon votes to just barely over 150K in 2020. Jill stein will be pissed if that happened to her in 2020.

For all this talk about the far right sweeping Europe, their voting shares are still fringe status levels. Meanwhile, Trump got 60 million people to vote for him.

The closest thing to him that actually happened in Europe was brexit and that was a referendum people didn't even seem to understand. They didn't actually make Farage a fucking PM.

Had to search out the video itself:

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/brie...view-of-the-first-year-of-a-trump-presidency/

Honestly, this is the first time i've learned of her "Briefing" sub-campaign thing. It's not all the way there but it is a little more what I'm talking about.

I'm guessing that was something targeted directly at social media and email subscribers for donation and GotV efforts? It certainly wasn't her TV ad campaign, which are all at the HillaryClinton youtube account.
Did you mean to reply to a different post? I'm not seeing the connection there.

She's also from Lansing, which is good.
Why? I'm not too familiar with Michigan politics.

That means they will drop from like 1.46 millon votes to just barely over 150K in 2020. Jill stein will be pissed if that happened to her in 2020.
Will Stein even run again in 2020? I imagine the Greens will find some other loser to do it instead.

For all this talk about the far right sweeping Europe, their voting shares are still fringe status levels. Meanwhile, Trump got 60 million people to vote for him.

The closest thing to him that actually happened in Europe was brexit and that was a referendum people didn't even seem to understand. They didn't actually make Farage a fucking PM.
Fair point, but I don't think Trump's support would be as big if we had a parliamentary system with multiple parties instead of what we have our existing two-party system.

Lansing, while the capitol, is a smaller city and isn't seen as a hippy liberal town like Ann Arbor or The Land of Criminals and Violence as Detroit is. Will give her a chance with moderates and independents. On a national scale, it's a candidate being from say, Wisconsin instead of California or New York.

I guess it's actually not that great -- the last two Dem losers from the Michigan governor race were from the Lansing area!

Lansing, while the capitol, is a smaller city and isn't seen as a hippy liberal town like Ann Arbor or The Land of Criminals and Violence as Detroit is. Will give her a chance with moderates and independents. On a national scale, it's a candidate being from say, Wisconsin instead of California or New York.

But that's the thought process why Lansing is better than say, Ann Arbor or Detroit for a state-wide run.

Fair point, but I don't think Trump's support would be as big if we had a parliamentary system with multiple parties instead of what we have our existing two-party system.

Yeah, this is a big difference (and flaw in our system). Not sure there's even another country that we could compare ourselves to effectively.

Pixieking

Banned

The UK is incredibly right-wing at the moment. Farage lost his seat (iirc), but the Conservative Party won by grabbing right-of-centre and right-wing voters - they stole voters from both Labour and UKIP, essentially making UKIP redundant. And Labour are now so far Left they've swung around to being Right (see: Corbyn's acceptance of Article 50).

The right-wing media are also more mainstreamed than the US. Instead of just Fox News and Breitbart, the UK has The Daily Mail, The Sun and The Daily Express which are the fear-mongering tabloids on news-stands everywhere, whilst The Telegraph and Times broadsheets are more subtlly right-wing.

The UK is incredibly right-wing at the moment. Farage lost his seat (iirc), but the Conservative Party won by grabbing right-of-centre and right-wing voters - they stole voters from both Labour and UKIP, essentially making UKIP redundant. And Labour are now so far Left they've swung around to being Right (see: Corbyn's acceptance of Article 50).

The right-wing media are also more mainstreamed than the US. Instead of just Fox News and Breitbart, the UK has The Daily Mail, The Sun and The Daily Express which are the fear-mongering tabloids on news-stands everywhere, whilst The Telegraph and Times broadsheets are more subtlly right-wing.

There's right and then there's green frog meme right.

Pixieking

Banned
There's right and then there's green frog meme right.

Hahaha! True... Though I think the 50 year old farmers who are massively anti-immigrant/anti-EU were just too unhip to think of memes to push their cause. :D

Edit: Not sure if you've seen this...

UK confirms plans to exit Euratom

Article 50 bill contains note saying that Britain wants to leave EU agency responsible for nuclear safety and security.

I mean, how right do you have to be to do this?

It's also important to remember that in the UK, there have been few Labour governments in general.

Blair won in 97, 01, and 05. Wilson won in 60, 66, lost in 70, and then won in 74 (twice, barely). Attlee won in 45 and 50, lost in 51. MacDonald won in 23 (minority government), lost in 24, won in 29, and then switched to National Labour.

That's it.

Doesn't Detroit have a less than sterling reputation when it comes to homegrown Democrats? I swear there's a history there.

Maybe? Stabenow is from the Lansing area. Peters is from the Detroit area.

I can't wait.

All you need to do is run a Democrat with charisma who can speak to the kids. There's always going to be people who vote third party no matter who we run, but we can't give the "both sides are the saaaame" hand-wringers any ammunition.

It's also important to remember that in the UK, there have been few Labour governments in general.

Blair won in 97, 01, and 05. Wilson won in 60, 66, lost in 70, and then won in 74 (twice, barely). Attlee won in 45 and 50, lost in 51. MacDonald won in 23 (minority government), lost in 24, won in 29, and then switched to National Labour.

Eh, since universal suffrage in 1928, Labour has won 10 out of 22 elections. That's not terriffic, but it's also not horrible either.

Looking at pure time, it's not as good, as it's 36 years out of 88 years.

Holmes

Smaller base of regional support vs potential appeal to swing voters

Because region has a strangely important influence in statewide politics.

Holmes

I checked the past Governors of VT, apparently we just don't give a shit. We had a Governor that was born in Zurich not that long ago...
Granholm was born in Canada fwiw. She performed best both times in Detroit and the upper peninsula. The areas closest to Canada! Coincidence?

I mean, here's the thing - everyone knows the Republicans are weaselly hypocrites. How do you even get people to care about that anymore? People say Trump has normalised a lot of behaviour, but Republicans were there first, and I think a good number are now inured to what they say.
The people who need to understand this most are just going to agree with McConnell's second quote and write it off as both sides being the same, sadly.

Personally I think Gorsack (whatever his fucking name is) should be given a hearing. This is a courtesy Republicans wouldn't even grant Garland, or any Obama appointee (they vowed to block whoever he appointed before he even announced it). When the cloture vote comes up however, filibuster the shit out of it. It's not like there's a practical difference in them going nuclear now or later.

How come the desires of "the american people" always seem to align with the wants of the politician invoking them?

Sus ass phrase.
It's a popular phrase because "we the people" is the first 3 words of the Constitution. But yeah I wanna see a politician deconstruct it sometime; it's such overused rhetoric

Well when you consider that the parties only represent "Real Americans" it makes sense, y'know?
That's going to be the downfall of the Democratic Party, really. Republicans show nothing but blatant contempt for people who don't vote for them, but you'll never hear an elected Democrat (at least statewide) openly rag on rural voters without catching some heat for it and possibly losing office as a result.

When you have one party trying to be for everyone and the other working only to scrape a plurality, when that other one wins, down comes the boot.

That's going to be the downfall of the Democratic Party, really. Republicans show nothing but blatant contempt for people who don't vote for them, but you'll never hear an elected Democrat (at least statewide) openly rag on rural voters without catching some heat for it and possibly losing office as a result.

When you have one party trying to be for everyone and the other working only to scrape a plurality, when that other one wins, down comes the boot.
I don't know if I'd say Democrats are totally innocent of this, though they're certainly much better than the people saying "California doesn't count". Someone in this thread said "rural Americans have no place in the future of this country" and I got heat for taking issue with that. I think one of the biggest criticisms you could make of Hillary's campaign is that she just wrote off unfavorable groups in the general as lost causes that she didn't need. Democrats were salivating at their permanent majority with Texas, Arizona, and Georgia being swapped for everything in the Midwest except Illinois. Something like the ACA is way better for Massachusetts than it is for South Dakota.

But for the most part Democrats definitely don't have the same venom where they declare the other party as illegitimate and un-American or that their votes shouldn't count. It also doesn't help that the media is obsessed with "real America" as largely affluent white people in the actual coastal elite regions.

Clinton's use of "deplorables" to describe some of Trump's supporters was the most accurate statement a Democratic Candidate has made in years. And she spent 6 months apologizing for it.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Clinton's use of "deplorables" to describe some of Trump's supporters was the most accurate statement a Democratic Candidate has made in years. And she spent 6 months apologizing for it.
In hindsight even the "miss step" of saying 50% wasn't inaccurate. I still think it was a mistake since it was judo moved into a badge of honor after that. But it certainly is not innacurate.

I can't wait.

All you need to do is run a Democrat with charisma who can speak to the kids. There's always going to be people who vote third party no matter who we run, but we can't give the "both sides are the saaaame" hand-wringers any ammunition.

I mean, the difference between the democratic platform and the green party platform is becoming increasingly negligible. Not sure we even need someone charismatic. We just need the foresight not to run someone who can be portrayed as a "corporatist" or "establishment" or whatever the hot buzzword is in three years.

I mean, the difference between the democratic platform and the green party platform is becoming increasingly negligible. Not sure we even need someone charismatic. We just need the foresight not to run someone who can be portrayed as a "corporatist" or "establishment" or whatever the hot buzzword is in three years.

Well Democrats have never advocated creating money out of thin air and using it to forgive student loans, or had summits with Russian leaders, or left the door open for conspiracy theorists. So I think there's still a lot of room.

Village

I can't wait.

They should do a trump

The slogan in 2018 and 2020, should be strait up " F trump"

I don't know if I'd say Democrats are totally innocent of this, though they're certainly much better than the people saying "California doesn't count". Someone in this thread said "rural Americans have no place in the future of this country" and I got heat for taking issue with that. I think one of the biggest criticisms you could make of Hillary's campaign is that she just wrote off unfavorable groups in the general as lost causes that she didn't need. Democrats were salivating at their permanent majority with Texas, Arizona, and Georgia being swapped for everything in the Midwest except Illinois. Something like the ACA is way better for Massachusetts than it is for South Dakota.

But for the most part Democrats definitely don't have the same venom where they declare the other party as illegitimate and un-American or that their votes shouldn't count. It also doesn't help that the media is obsessed with "real America" as largely affluent white people in the actual coastal elite regions.
I think you have to keep in mind the way we talk on a mostly liberal subforum isn't the way many elected Democratic officials talk. Probably the most prominent is Alan Grayson who lost hard in the most recent primary he ran in (I mean they also found out he had beaten his wife, but eh).

By contrast there are plenty of statements by elected Republican officials that sound like they could have come straight from a Fox News comments thread. Trump is the most obvious example, but he's hardly an anomaly. Michele Bachmann, Allen West, Steve King, Louie Gohmert, Joe Walsh, Jim DeMint, Paul LePage, Sarah Palin, it goes on.

I think you have to keep in mind the way we talk on a mostly liberal subforum isn't the way many elected Democratic officials talk. Probably the most prominent is Alan Grayson who lost hard in the most recent primary he ran in (I mean they also found out he had beaten his wife, but eh).

By contrast there are plenty of statements by elected Republican officials that sound like they could have come straight from a Fox News comments thread. Trump is the most obvious example, but he's hardly an anomaly. Michele Bachmann, Allen West, Steve King, Louie Gohmert, Joe Walsh, Jim DeMint, Paul LePage, Sarah Palin, it goes on.
Yeah, all that's probably fair.

I guess that's the problem with being on the left, subscribing to basic human decency means you're probably not a gigantic asshole. Probably.

BBC has been running an interview with the Saudi Arabian Oil Minister, where he speaks quite highly of Donald Trump. Looks like we're about to send a bunch of money to the middle east folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom