• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we send an amendment to FADA in which if you believe that Jesus visited North America, you can be treated like a gay person?

I just wanna see Mike Lee get mad.

Cesare, Trump has already turned all the staff faces white.

Trump is livetweeting his security briefings right now, wants to make sure Iraq knows that they're on the invasion list too.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/826990079738540033

On Trump's possible invasion list:

1. Iran
2. Yemen
3. Iraq
4. Mexico
5. China
6. Find out tomorrow.

I like how Trump masterfully has buried the news of his Supreme Court pick (probably the only reason 20% of his voters supported him) so he can talk about invading countries for no reason.

This was literally the only positive news cycle for Trump so far into his presidency and it's been buried.

Yep, here what he might do.

Send in x number of soldiers in Iraq who will eventually will remain permanently there and end up fighting Iranian-backed militias. Trump won't remotely be subtle about it. He will claim taking the oil and/or fighting against Iranian influence with radical Islam being splashed in their. In Yemen, increase support for SA potentially even ground troops. SA will clearly use Trump for their own ends.

I think Trump might even be dumb enough to try to get together a 'coalition of the willing' type of thing - to only be given a single answer no by everyone besides a select few suspects a.k.a, the gulf nations and Israel.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Ernie_43fa83_2966062.jpg

Crocodile

Really not sure how burning garbage cans on a college campus is a helpful thing.

I don't disagree that its not the best image but as long as nobody was hurt who really gives a shit? Milo-stans would think he is a martyr no matter what happened LOL.

Stopping Milo from giving his speech or whatever is not a win. I admit it is a guilty pleasure in seeing him having to cancel. But this is not a good thing. UC Berkley is a public forum. Freedom of speech is a real thing that has been averted today. If it were a peaceful protest then we'd be golden. I wish it was a peaceful protest, because Milo is obviously a disgusting "person" who we should not be violent over... it's just not worth it.

Boke1879

Passive resistance hasn't stopped universities from allowing him a platform. This is escalation.

Yup. Passive resistance didn't stop universities. Passive Resistance helped a milo supporter shoot someone else.

Escalation is always next in line and quite frankly it's only going to get worse. If this religious freedom EO is publicly mentioned by the administration, much less signed by them. You gotta wonder when true violence will happen.

Tall4Life

Stopping Milo from giving his speech or whatever is not a win. I admit it is a guilty pleasure in seeing him having to cancel. But this is not a good thing. UC Berkley is a public forum. Freedom of speech is a real thing that has been averted today. If it were a peaceful protest then we'd be golden. I wish it was a peaceful protest, because Milo is obviously a disgusting "person" who we should not be violent over... it's just not worth it.

He's not being arrested for what he says, so it's not protected under freedom of speech. Who cares.

GrapeApes

Once the gop get what they want, ie Supreme Court judges, deregulation, tax cuts they will turn on Trump.
All of that takes time. Trump's foolishness is pretty much going to go unchecked for the time being. I just don't see them developing spines in the next year. The only thing that accelerates them turning on him sooner is if we get dragged into a war or an economic downturn obviously caused by his actions.

Mike M

Nick N
Taking the premise that the GOP is using him as the fall guy to get their legislation passed and then impeach as true, how is that supposed to work? People are screaming at them over Trump's immigration EO, how do they think they're supposed to escape blame for the legislation that they produce just because Trump signs it?

His right to free speech was not violated.

VM6ODxq.png

The incentives are fucking huge for some world leader to tell Trump to lick their asshole right now.

Someone needs to come through and do it!

Other than Jong-un.

sphagnum

Banned
An email has turned up linking Richard Spencer to Stephen Miller.

An email obtained by The Electronic Intifada confirms that Stephen Miller, a senior adviser to Trump, worked directly with Spencer when the pair were at Duke University a decade ago.

In October, Spencer told Mother Jones magazine that he had worked with Miller to organize a debate on immigration sponsored by the Duke Conservative Union.

Miller sought to undercut the story at the time, asserting that Spencer’s “claims are 100 percent false.”

But Peter Laufer, now a senior professor of journalism at the University of Oregon, sent The Electronic Intifada a 26 March 2007 email from Spencer that corroborates Spencer’s personal connection to Miller.

Laufer was invited by the Duke Conservative Union to debate Peter Brimelow, an anti-immigrant activist who runs a website that frequently publishes work by white supremacists and anti-Semites.

Spencer’s email was addressed to Laufer and Brimelow and contained logistical details about their campus visit for the debate.

“Dear Peters,” Spencer began, “Your day will be free tomorrow until 5:00 pm. At that time, I’ll pick up both of you at the entrance to the Washington Duke Inn.”

The email specifies plans for Laufer and Brimelow and their wives to be taken to dinner at Vin Rouge, a restaurant in Durham, North Carolina.

Then, Spencer wrote: “At 6:45 Stephen Miller and I will leave early to do more set-up.”

Clearly, the two ultra-conservative Duke students worked closely together to make the immigration debate happen.

Spencer told Mother Jones in October: “It’s funny no one’s picked up on the Stephen Miller connection.”

He added, “I knew him very well when I was at Duke. But I am kind of glad no one’s talked about this because I don’t want to harm Trump."

“I have absolutely no relationship with Mr. Spencer,” Miller wrote in an email to Mother Jones. “I completely repudiate his views, and his claims are 100 percent false.’”

But the decade-old email located by Laufer lends considerable credence to Spencer’s claims of a close relationship to Miller.

Moreover, former members of the Duke Conservative Union recently recollected that Spencer and Miller did work together on the immigration debate. One former student, Bill English, told the Duke campus newspaper The Chronicle that he and Spencer “periodically played advisory roles” in the organization.

https://electronicintifada.net/blog...viser-stephen-miller-neo-nazi-richard-spencer

His right to free speech was not violated.

VM6ODxq.png

That pic is misleading. The 1st amendment applies not only to the government, but also to state actors, such as public schools/institutions. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_actor

Secondly, while it does deal with arrests, it deals with much more than simply arrests. It has farther reaching implications. It's a restriction against censorship as well. What happened here is what is known as a heckler's veto. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler's_veto

I think parts of that pic are spot on. It doesn't shield you from criticism (or the consequences of what you say). It doesn't even shield you from what is known as time, place, and manner restrictions. But it is misleading.

edit:
Not to mention there is an idea of freedom of speech as an ideal that exists outright of personal rights, like a unrestricted flow of ideas being better for everyone as wrong ideas are eventually beaten out by the right ones.

Goodstyle

The Electronic Intifada is an extreeeeeemely bad site that peddles in anti-Israel stories from conspiracy theorists that think the Jews did 9/11.

I would wait until at least Mother Jones or The Intercept reviewed this information.

Says the guy with the SOROS avatar...!

Just kidding, I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom