• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lemme guess, he's tenured. And he's also probably not an actual economist (or if he is, he's an Austrian.)

Nah, he looks pretty young. He also used to be a professor at Notre Dame, and I'm willing to bet he was probably dismissed there because I don't know why you'd leave a decent private school for a mediocre public one (Iowa).

He also thinks we need a balanced budget amendment.

The class is Applied Equity Valuation btw.

mo60

Doesn't that ultimately help the non window-lickers' cause? Double down attention on the snowflakes who elected you and are already on board no matter what you do, all while pissing off all the moderates and left. That has to be a good thing for us in 2018 and beyond.

Yes. It will be. That was kinda harper's play book in the 2015 election campaign and when he got his majority government. He tried to mostly focus on his base and not other voters which ended up hurting him and the CPC in the 2015 election.

KingK

Lemme guess, he's tenured. And he's also probably not an actual economist (or if he is, he's an Austrian.)
I had a labor econ professor who was a tenured right winger, who opened up the semester complaining about how he wasn't allowed to teach any macro classes anymore and how people always unfairly accuse him of sexism.

I dropped and retook it another semester with a different professor. This was at Indiana university.

Nah, he looks pretty young. He also used to be a professor at Notre Dame, and I'm willing to bet he was probably dismissed there because I don't know why you'd leave a decent private school for a mediocre public one (Iowa).

He also thinks we need a balanced budget amendment.

The class is Applied Equity Valuation btw.

That's very insulting to Iowa. It's a good school and one of the premiere research institutions in the country.

I'm sure more professors are likely to take a position at Iowa instead of Notre Dame because of that.

That's very insulting to Iowa. It's a good school and one of the premiere research institutions in the country.

I'm sure more professors are likely to take a position at Iowa instead of Notre Dame because of that.

Iowa is the second worst flagship public school in the Midwest when it comes to academics. Only Nebraska is ranked lower.

The graduate schools are decent, but for undergrad it is absolutely mediocre.

Notre Dame USNWR ranking: #15

Iowa USNWR ranking: #82

Very few professors gives two shits about a US News ranking.

They care more about things like AAU membership & how much can you pay me.

You would be better off looking at the Times University rankings where Iowa & Notre Dame are on fairly even footing, which are more focused on metrics that Professors care about.

chadskin

First Russia, now Israel ... Tillerson putting in work?

The White House warned Israel on Thursday – in a surprising statement – to cease settlement announcements that are “unilateral” and “undermining” of President Donald Trump’s effort to forge Middle East peace, a senior administration official told The Jerusalem Post.

For the first time, the administration confirmed that Trump is committed to a comprehensive two-state solution to the Israeli- Palestinian conflict negotiated between the parties.
http://live.jpost.com/Israel-News/P...Israel-Stop-announcing-new-settlements-480446

Village

Doesn't that ultimately help the non window-lickers' cause? Double down attention on the snowflakes who elected you and are already on board no matter what you do, all while pissing off all the moderates and left. That has to be a good thing for us in 2018 and beyond.
You are seeing the thing here
Trump his cabinet alot of senate republicans dont think long term

And thats bad, for everyone.

breaking news: UN Ambassador Nikki Haley calls for an immediate end to the russian occupation of crimea, and that crimean related russian sanctions will remain in place until then. Also, the trump administration today has eased sanctions on the FSB, Russia's intelligence agency, which has been accused of hacking the DNC, among other deplorable acts. On the Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer, congressman Darell Issa speculated the purpose of this move was so that the US and Russia can more easily share information, and said that Russia is in essential part in the solution we need toward our problems in Syria and with ISIS.

Side note, the situation room goes ham with the dramatic violin music, it was like listening to an action movie soundtrack. I couldn't get out of my seat

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
So one of my professors today spent 30 minutes ranting about how we need to abolish the fed.

I wonder if the people who claim that colleges are so liberal have ever set foot in a business/economics department.

I'm guessing business, not economics, right?

I'm guessing business, not economics, right?

It was a Finance class, but I have taken several Econ courses (double major) and most of those professors have been fairly right-wing, although not as radical as this guy.

He also had a conspiracy theory about how the main reason the fed hasn't raised rates the past several years was to help Obama and Hillary get elected.

It would certainly be something if it was ultimately the Trump administration that brokered an historic Israeli-Palestinian peace deal.

Very few professors gives two shits about a US News ranking.

They care more about things like AAU membership & how much can you pay me.

You would be better off looking at the Times University rankings where Iowa & Notre Dame are on fairly even footing, which are more focused on metrics that Professors care about.

Adding to this professors are likely to care far more about the reputation of the department than that of the university as a whole. Also, depending on the title, the professor's previous position may have been temporary in the first place (if it had a title like "Visiting Professor" that's a giveaway).

Adding to this professors are likely to care far more about the reputation of the department than that of the university as a whole. Also, depending on the title, the professor's previous position may have been temporary in the first place (if it had a title like "Visiting Professor" that's a giveaway).

You can also look at the school's research classification.

And most of the econ faculty I know is also right-wing.

There's a difference between "centre right" and even "right wing" and "abolish the Fed/gold standard" crackpottery though...

The use of the title "Professor" is weird in the US as well. Typically a Professor is a tenured senior academic that's had to progress through post doctoral fellowships, lectureships, an associate professorship and then professorship.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Fukumoto may leave Hawaii GOP, cites reaction to her Trump criticism
Republicans in the state House of Representatives have ousted their minority leader Rep. Beth Fukumoto over her criticism of President Donald Trump, including recent comments that she made at the Women's March in Honolulu last month.

Fukumoto, 33, said today that she is now considering switching over to the Democratic Party following this week's actions by her Republican colleagues, which would further deplete the party of young leadership. She had been described as a rising star in Hawaii's Republican Party, which holds only six seats in the 76-member Legislature.

Fukumoto (R, Mililani-Mililani Mauka-Waipio Acres) said that she had been told by a faction of her Republican colleagues that if she didn't commit to not criticizing Trump for the rest of his term, they would oust her as minority leader.

She said she refused.

”I believe it is our job as Americans and as leaders of this body to criticize power when power is wrong," she said during today's House floor session.
Hawaii Republicans working to have even less of a voice in the state government.

bYJrVn0.jpg

There's a difference between "centre right" and even "right wing" and "abolish the Fed/gold standard" crackpottery though...

This is true, but may be vacuously true in 2017 if barely any of the populace falls in the former camps.

edit: may want to put that excerpt in quotes for size reasons.

Well, I don't know how you're defining the "professor" populace. If it's includes just random guy who teaches a class at school no one's ever heard of and may still be in postgrad himself then I imagine there's more crackpottery.

Howard Stern -
Stern hypothesized that Trump originally intended his 2016 campaign as a way to leverage his contract as producer and star of "The Apprentice."

"He just wanted a couple more bucks out of NBC, and that is why Donald is calling for voter fraud investigations. He's pissed he won. He still wants Hillary Clinton to win. He's so f-----g pissed, he's hoping that he can find some voter fraud and hand it over to Hillary," the celebrity said, according to the report.

http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-kno...y-will-be-detrimental-to-trumps-mental-health

Reminds me of South Park lol

Well, I don't know how you're defining the "professor" populace. If it's includes just random guy who teaches a class at school no one's ever heard of and may still be in postgrad himself then I imagine there's more crackpottery.

I meant the entire US population. How many people are center-right as compared to crackpots who think dismantling the Fed is a good thing? Less so than a few decades ago, surely.

tbm24

breaking news: UN Ambassador Nikki Haley calls for an immediate end to the russian occupation of crimea, and that crimean related russian sanctions will remain in place until then. Also, the trump administration today has eased sanctions on the FSB, Russia's intelligence agency, which has been accused of hacking the DNC, among other deplorable acts. On the Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer, congressman Darell Issa speculated the purpose of this move was so that the US and Russia can more easily share information, and said that Russia is in essential part in the solution we need toward our problems in Syria and with ISIS.

Side note, the situation room goes ham with the dramatic violin music, it was like listening to an action movie soundtrack. I couldn't get out of my seat

That violin track is honestly my favorite reason to tune into CNN on my commute home. CNN is preferred place during the primaries. There's nothing like a Key Race alert. That and Blizter randomly tries to drop a joke but always plays it straight.

tbm24

LOL right.

This would be an amazing sequence of events, though. The ultimate face turn.
It's worse case scenario for trump. By the time his 4 years are up few will seriously do business with him. The tell all books from others should get Hollywood movie treatment however.

chadskin

So Spicer is walking back the condemnation of the Israeli settlements that a White House official issued to the Jerusalem Post. Oy humbug.

C3snJh2VUAAnpF8.jpg

benjipwns

Banned
I feel like compared to a lot of political threads in the OT PoliGAF is pretty centrist or at least pragmatist compared to a lot of the total userbase.

I feel like if we had our own little constitutional convention we'd end up with some weird mishmash technocratic republic.

They're the only topics I regularly butt heads with other left-leaning folks about. Also Free Trade. I was for TPP once I learned what the goal of it actually was, but apparently hating TPP is trendy now, so that had to go.

Holy shit can we do that as a minigame?

We actually did this in my comparative politics class for a fictional burgeoning African democracy. It was tons of fun!

I spent basically the first day and a half filibustering for unicameral parliament with PR voting and then had to give up on everything else when I got that

I would imagine we could do a format where there was a set topic established (e.g. Do we want to ensure the right to bear arms?) and we would give a time window for people to input their arguments and then a window to vote. Rinse repeat. Alternatively we could do it over Discord or something to allow for actual organization and things like Filibusters.

I was always interested in the idea of PoliGAF hosting debates on topics. I feel like there's enough people who could sympathize with the other side to make some of the issues really interesting.
https://www.nationstates.net/nation=neogaf

the leading causes of death on the "people" page always make me giggle a bit

Two I was doing:
https://www.nationstates.net/nation=auberonia
https://www.nationstates.net/nation=platonipa

Wilsongt

You missed the kicker

Uh... What the fuck? Part of the disability process if you are found disabled is determining if you need someone else to manage your funds for you. You have to be pretty fucking bad off in order to have that check box marked yes, too.

So the government doesn't want people to handle their own disability money, but they are a-okay with you having a gun that can do serious damage?

This. Mother. Fucking. Country.

Maengun1

I should really stop reading the things republicans say because it's bad for my mental health, but I continue to be so flabbergasted

Scott Walker ✔ @ScottWalker
Sen. Baldwin is out of the mainstream. Refuses to meet with judge whose experience is nearly identical to Judge Garland.

Like.

Like........

I expected them to be like "Who's Merrick Garland? Never heard of him" or "that was different, it was a presidential election year" or "Garland was bad!!!" ...any of those things. All lies, but lies sort of consistent with the lies they told last year??

Instead now it's literally "Oh yeah Garland was TOTALLY qualified and we TOTALLY should have given him a hearing....but we didn't teehee! But you can't do the same thing LOL!!!!!!!"

They do not give even one fuck about appearing non evil!!! It BAFFLES me that people vote for these monsters!!!

I think there's a lot of truth to Stern's take on Trump. Donald wants to be loved more than anything, and hates being hated. But when he is hated and loved at the same time, he can only pay attention to the haters. I think he is really ambivalent about the job, and is full of rage and self-pity, and has no hope of climbing out of the pit he's in given the policies he's pursuing and the people he's surrounded himself. He will never be welcome in New York City again -- imagine that!

Hopefully things won't end in war, but in mere resignation and disgrace.

I meant the entire US population. How many people are center-right as compared to crackpots who think dismantling the Fed is a good thing? Less so than a few decades ago, surely.
Oh is this a general thing on the right now. I figure once that Janet woman goes back to the kitchen where she belongs they'll be fine with the Fed again.

Mike Lee is defending Steve Bannon's honor today.

Bannon almost surely would like to kill everyone in Lee's religion.

This is just sad, why do people debase themselves like this for jobs that aren't that great?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom