• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
When does it start making political sense for Republicans to go ahead and impeach Trump themselves? It seems like the more this drags out, the more it looks like they are complicit in it, and the less time they have to actually pass their shitty legislation. Doesn't it become a "rip off the band-aid" situation at some point while they still have time distance themselves from Trump before the midterms?

It's a lose-lose proposition for them. They'll get primaried if they try. They're better off betting on the stupidity of the American people and going down with the ship.

pigeon

Banned
This is also all extremely unconstitutional, and would basically turn the US into a banana republic every time that Congress was a different party than the president. Also, you guys realize that 90+% of intelligence folks are conservative leaning; meaning that Dem presidents would be extremely fucked.

You guys are advocating for a straight up coup, fuck the laws, fuck the constitution.

Just concentrate on resisting Trump, and taking back Congress in 2018, and taking over state legislatures and governorships as they open up. Write op-eds and start working on messaging for key issues that have consensus and turning those Obama / Trump voters against Trump.

Counter-coup tbh

Edit: I'm basically seeing you on a typewriter message board during Watergat saying "this is going to set a dangerous precedent, can't we just defeat Nixon at the ballot box?" Sometimes things are actually not precedents because they're insane outliers and everybody understands that

This is also all extremely unconstitutional, and would basically turn the US into a banana republic every time that Congress was a different party than the president. Also, you guys realize that 90+% of intelligence folks are conservative leaning; meaning that Dem presidents would be extremely fucked.

You guys are advocating for a straight up coup, fuck the laws, fuck the constitution.

Just concentrate on resisting Trump, and taking back Congress in 2018, and taking over state legislatures and governorships as they open up. Write op-eds and start working on messaging for key issues that have consensus and turning those Obama / Trump voters against Trump.

You keep talking a diplomatic playbook when dealing with a clear authoritarian. Like the 2018 elections won't get meddled with.

I'm just saying, I really don't like the odds of this strategy working out. Especially for the most vulnerable nationally and internationally (see Palestine)

dakini

Has anyone posted the new Morning Consult poll yet? In Warren v. Trump, Trump wins, but a generic Democrat would beat Trump.

KyM8RjT.png

https://morningconsult.com/2017/02/15/poll-warren-wouldnt-beat-trump-2020-another-democrat/

Has anyone posted the new Morning Consult poll yet? In Warren v. Trump, Trump wins, but a generic Democrat would beat Trump.

https://morningconsult.com/2017/02/15/poll-warren-wouldnt-beat-trump-2020-another-democrat/

Ehhh

I think we have to assume at this point that most undecideds are actually embarrassed Trump voters, Tbh. Or people looking for cover that would let them swing his way. No way anybody is actually unsure at this point.

Huge if true.

I'd love it if they don't withdraw and he gets voted down. Anything that makes Trump look weak is just aces.

Mirand

I don't want to be the one to say this, but Warren is the Ted Cruz of the Left. No way she could win a general election.

A True Believer who excites 25% of the country, but with terrible charisma that alienates the other 75%.

Blader

Mr. Trump did tell Mr. Netanyahu to “hold back” on settlement construction in the West Bank. “As with any successful negotiation, both sides will have to make compromises,” he said, turning to Mr. Netanyahu. “You know that, right?”

lol. I can only imagine Bibi's face to this.

Honestly, at this point, I don't want to discourage anyone from running even a little. People (general election demands voters) seem to still be crazy sensitive to the idea of playing favorites or altering the playing field, to the point where I suspect that even a weak candidate who won the primary cleanly will do better than a strong candidate who has even the appearance of favoritism looming over them. Young people are dumb like that nowadays, apparently.

The total refusal of liberal voters (and non voters, more importantly) to look inward and self examine about stuff like that even a little after this last election is crazy depressing, tbh.

https://twitter.com/jasonnobleDMR/status/831925845627457545

The GOP's stance on America in the past is that we were always a terrible country and therefore Russia is okay.

This stance of "make America great again!" and "America has always been bad" is kind of awkward...

I know "MAGA" means "allow white people to use racial slurs again" but they're getting close to giving the game away.

Ugh. Why is Warren so low?

Probably her voice sounds too shrill and then misogyny takes cares of the rest.

Gruco

Banned
Counter-coup tbh

Edit: I'm basically seeing you on a typewriter message board during Watergat saying "this is going to set a dangerous precedent, can't we just defeat Nixon at the ballot box?" Sometimes things are actually not precedents because they're insane outliers and everybody understands that
I, for one, am getting sick and tired of people saying Gerald Ford was not a legitimate president.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Counter-coup tbh

lol, possibly, but 20 years ago, the idea of refusing to seat a SC justice due to polarization would have been an extreme outlier, and now I suspect everyone here would be completely ok with a Dem Senate refusing to sit Gorsuch for 4 years. We have a whole host of "outlier to normal" political maneuvers in the last 20 years, and every time, at the time it was considered an outlier, until it stopped becoming one.

On top of it, it's been less than a month and you're already seeing strong institutional pushback from the US political system. Almost all of those EOs have been stopped by the courts, Flynn got forced out, Obamacare's "repeal" is stalling hard in the face of grassroots opposition, and the GOP Senate is calling for an investigation into the Russia ties. Y'all are freaking out about the system being powerless while simultaneously posting about how the system is stopping Trump. If Nixon hadn't happened, I'd be far more worried - but considering we have had a smart and competent version of Trump try to do worse to the US, we're surprisingly robust at this whole "the system pushes back against authoritarians" thing.

Plus, succession written into the constitution, in a relatively recent amendment. If this was a gray area without absolutely crystal clear rules, that'd be one thing. But the rules of succession are absolutely clear cut, and we're trying to deliberately muddy them up because we don't like the results. There's zero evidence that Ryan has had anything to do with the Russians or anything like that, but because we don't want someone in the GOP in charge, we're willing to cause an actual constitutional crisis over it.

You keep talking a diplomatic playbook when dealing with a clear authoritarian. Like the 2018 elections won't get meddled with.

The GOP can't get shit done when they have 2/3 branches of government completely under their control, and have a tie for the third. They couldn't even meddle with this election outside of posting shit on the internet and people being dumb. Yet somehow they're going to be sophisticated and coordinated enough to engineer an authoritarian coup of the entire country when they can't even fucking fix the popular vote appropriately (and they had a candidate who was obsessed with it, making it a priority). On top of it, due to the fractured local nature of the voting systems in this country, it is nearly impossible to mass scale manipulate voting outside of maybe a single city. Everything is too low tech.

Regarding Warren 2020 - lets wait till like at least early 2019 before we slightly worry about nominees

Puzder - the Oprah tapes will sink him. It's pretty gruesome stuff. As Ray Rice and Joe Mixon can attest to, DV gets ignored until the tapes show up, at which point it is all over.

No it looks like we're talking about a 2020 poll

We're talking about how a prominent Democratic politician performs bad against the worst president in modern history the week after she was silenced in the Senate (that's the context of their question).

The 2020 part is just a hypothetical.

We're talking about how a prominent Democratic politician performs bad against the worst president in modern history the week after she was silenced in the Senate (that's the context of their question).

The 2020 part is just a hypothetical.

So you're talking about a 2020 poll.

k.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The difference between the two: self-awareness. Warren knew not to run.

Right--and I don't think she's gearing up to run in 2020, either. She's incredibly intelligent and knows the situation in the country.

Teggy

So, I looked up the Sanford Paul plan (from CNN), which freedom caucus will use to say they now have a "replace"

The measure would allow insurers to sell a wider array of policies, including those with more limited benefits and lower premiums. It would let Americans sock away $5,000 in health savings accounts (HSA) tax free, up from $3,400 this year, while also enabling those who buy their own coverage to deduct the premiums from their incomes. It would protect those with pre-existing conditions as long as they had continuous coverage.

The bill would also allow people and small business owners to band together through professional associations to purchase insurance, with the goal of decreasing the cost through greater numbers. And it would permit insurers to sell policies across state lines.

The legislation also proposes restricting the use of taxpayer funds for abortion by banning people from using HSA funds for elective abortions.

So, unless I am misunderstanding, this is essentially a full repeal to the old way with a few minor tweaks. It brings back a lot of really shitty plans, If you lose coverage your preexisting conditions issues kick back in and you can't use your FSA for abortions. And they think buying over state lines and some sort of group buying is going to be a panacea to drive down healthcare costs.

This is hot fire.

DVEXFYb.png

So, I looked up the Sanford Paul plan (from CNN), which freedom caucus will use to say they now have a "replace"

So, unless I am misunderstanding, this is essentially a full repeal to the old way with a few minor tweaks. It brings back a lot of really shitty plans, If you lose coverage your preexisting conditions issues kick back in and you can't use your FSA for abortions. And they think buying over state lines and some sort of group buying is going to be a panacea to drive down healthcare costs.

Yup -- and the same problem where you can be denied coverage for a pre-existing condition if there's a lapse in your coverage, which is insane.

Does the problem have to be given an active platform in order for the problem to be tackled?

To tackle the problem through peaceful means will necessarily involve giving the problem's ideas some degree of coverage. Even if only to mock them. Given that delusions about what constitutes an "alpha" male seem to be somewhat common amongst his followers, yeah, a live dressing down from which one can't recover on air could be effective. (if one ignores tribalism and whatnot)

Could always try to ditch the "peaceful" bit tho, provided that there's reasonable expectation that there wont be significant backfiring.

The GOP can't get shit done when they have 2/3 branches of government completely under their control, and have a tie for the third. They couldn't even meddle with this election outside of posting shit on the internet and people being dumb. Yet somehow they're going to be sophisticated and coordinated enough to engineer an authoritarian coup of the entire country when they can't even fucking fix the popular vote appropriately (and they had a candidate who was obsessed with it, making it a priority). On top of it, due to the fractured local nature of the voting systems in this country, it is nearly impossible to mass scale manipulate voting outside of maybe a single city. Everything is too low tech.

I don't think they have to be sophisticated or coordinated to do it at all. Just forceful, filled with resources, and lucky.

It's not like incompetent political parties haven't been able to make large scale impact with a vast amount of resources before. I mean, we had a world war because of a few.

Teggy

Nice choice of word...

Major Garrett‏ @MajorCBS

News: Source very close to Labor Secretary nominee Andy Puzder tells me he expects Puzder to withdraw. "He's very tired of the abuse."

Edit: I am so slow today!

Reading Evangelical forum posts about this administration is mind boggling.

Times like these are why I love my mom. She's a hardcore evangelical voter, so she'll never be a Democrat, but she walks the walk at least instead of most evangelicals. Here was a status update on her facebook today:

"US Intelligence is trying to open Trump's eyes to the extent of Russian influence in his administration. Trump is choosing to ignore what they're telling him, and refuses to acknowledge and fix the problem. Too many more crazy tweets and you'll see whole transcripts leaked and printed on the NYT front page. If you are more mad about the leaks against dear trump than the actual information wave we are about to get, you are sick in the head. The US intelligence community is SUPPOSED to warn the pres. and the people about foreign threats, whether the president likes it or not. Enjoy your cult. PERIOD." -My mom

Loophole: Bill Gates funds a non profit organization to create a pool for 60% of america creating de facto universal healthcare.

As a medical student though, these are all atrocious horrific changes to make that will result in increased expenditure, more medical bankruptcy, and far far more deaths (also mental health issues galore!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom