• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the other takeaway(s)?

That Democrats have increased their downballot results from the last election held in each seat, as well as improving on Hillary's margin in all but one seat.

Maybe. If not there then maybe somewhere in Montana.

Looks like it's Alaska Senate District S.

akr-statewide.png

Colors are wonky, but goes from the purple middle (House Seat 38, they're nested within Senate districts) alllll the way through the Aleutian Islands with 37. That's insaaaaane.

UberTag

Months ago I posted that more than any one Trump surrogate, it was Van Jones and his simping bullshit that made me stop watching CNN. Tonight he proved me right.

One speech. That's all it took, Van? Fucking embarrassing.
Jake Tapper notwithstanding, I'm at the point now where I hope CNN gets barred from everything in Washington DC. They'll keep coming back like a battered wife no matter how many times Trump scapegoats them to forward his rhetoric and rally his base.

Have we SEEN actual journalism from CNN of late? I sure as hell can't recall any. The Washington Post and the New York Times have been doing all the heavy lifting.

tbm24

Couldn't care about the speech, looks like it had fuck all, of course the media GRADED ON A CURVE.
Not sure what anyone is expecting from the media. Trump gave a speech where he didn't trip over himself or insert ad-libbed bullshit. For a president who hasn't been able to do so for over a month, that's an improvement for Trump. I don't think anyone is suddenly signing on to what he's selling and saying it's good, just the observation that, hypothetically, if Trump could continue to do that from here on out and not slip on his own banana peels again, it could be a problem for coming elections for democrats. I don't see what's unreasonable about it, we all know he won't be able to do it.

Pixieking

Banned
Not sure what anyone is expecting from the media. Trump gave a speech where he didn't trip over himself or insert ad-libbed bullshit. For a president who hasn't been able to do so for over a month, that's an improvement for Trump. I don't think anyone is suddenly signing on to what he's selling and saying it's good, just the observation that, hypothetically, if Trump could continue to do that from here on out and not slip on his own banana peels again, it could be a problem for coming elections for democrats. I don't see what's unreasonable about it, we all know he won't be able to do it.

And, see, that's why it's frustrating. Some commentators are giving him the benefit of the doubt, knowing full well that he won't be able to do it. Which means they're either pushing a "Let's give him a chance" agenda, or they're striving for the "neutral reporting" balance that saw them give equal weight to emails and sexual assault.

It's frustrating.

Meanwhile...
Robert Costa‏ Verified account @costareports 1m1 minute ago

What I picked up this AM...
-WH planned for "indoor voice"
-But also wanted to push nationalism
-So a change in style, no change in policies

Yes indeedy, I'm sure Van Jones is right that if he keeps this up, he'll be in the WH for 8 years. /s

He spent the entire morning before his speech making gaffe after gaffe after gaffe. He'll likely mess this entire thing up by tomorrow.

He's going to have good media cycles. His polls will likely tick up a tad. It doesn't indicate any sort of long term trend to panic over or any drastic change. He's still Trump doing Trump things and still a massive failure of a president and human being.

Fair enough, I'm just saying with all the shit he's done the media shouldn't be so quick to be so positive about him.

Blader

What in the hell...

But in a rare moment of self-criticism, Trump said “my messaging isn’t good,” using press reports regarding vacant executive-branch jobs as an example. Trump said those stories often portray him as being behind in appointing people for such jobs when, in reality, he has no intention of filling them at all because he sees them as unnecessary.

There are hundreds of these positions that are still vacant. Trump's just not going to fill any of those?

I'm being serious, was there some account of the operation that was played out and detailed to everyone? How did the mission fail? I'm aware a soldier died.

The mission was compromised while the SEAL team was still en route, and the area ended up being much more heavily fortified than they had expected.

Case in point:
Robert Costa‏Verified account @costareports 27m27 minutes ago
More
Some sources in WH are frankly surprised at how pundits are warming to the speech. Say Trump has not changed, no big shift in policy coming.

How many times during the campaign to the media try to paint "a new, more mature better spoken Trump" only to have it fall apart within a day or two?

Like... at least half a dozen times.

How many times during the campaign to the media try to paint "a new, more mature better spoken Trump" only to have it fall apart within a day or two?

Like... at least half a dozen times.

Here's my question, why are they some damn eager for it? Why do they so desperately want to believe that he's a mature and responsible person, and, more to the point, why do they want to treat him like one? Where's the incentive here?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Here's my question, why are they some damn eager for it? Why do they so desperately want to believe that he's a mature and responsible person, and, more to the point, why do they want to treat him like one? Where's the incentive here?

The entire world doesn't end in nuclear hellfire. Also it means the political press didn't just have the biggest fuck up in the profession's history on their watch.

When someone is at rock bottom and they mess up again, it's not really interesting. However, when someone had "redeemed" themselves and then fall off the wagon again, then it's a bigger story.

So they'll prop him up as legitimate, so when he messes up again it'll be a bigger story with more drama than had he just messed up because he always messes up and he's a failure.

Blader

When you're told you have to have this surgery, but there's only a 30 percent chance you'll live through it, you cling to that slight hope and not the major likelihood of dying on the table.

also: how in the world is that Tom Perez thread up to 46 pages now?

Wilsongt

A buffoon can change his tone to sound more like an actual person, but that dude is still a buffoon.

People are so easily fleeced by the presentation of something that they completely ignore the content.

I didn't watch becauase I enjoy what little sanity I have left and was spending time with the bf.

Louisiana comes in dead last in new 'Best States' ranking
Louisiana is the worst state in the country, according to a new analysis based on health care, education, infrastructure, crime and other quality-of-life measures.
The review for Louisiana isn't pretty, with the state receiving low marks in individual rankings on crime and corrections (50th); opportunity (49th); education, economy and government (46th in each); health care (45th) and infrastructure (39th).

Mississippi, Arkansas, Alabama and New Mexico rounded out the bottom of the list.
Thanks bel edwards

Ogodei

Jake Tapper notwithstanding, I'm at the point now where I hope CNN gets barred from everything in Washington DC. They'll keep coming back like a battered wife no matter how many times Trump scapegoats them to forward his rhetoric and rally his base.

Have we SEEN actual journalism from CNN of late? I sure as hell can't recall any. The Washington Post and the New York Times have been doing all the heavy lifting.

They were doing pretty well for a while, but yeah, it seems that they have to be actively dumped on or they will quickly forgive and forget.

Edit: What's the deal with New Mexico? It always seems to rate poorly, and is one of those states where they take more money from the feds than they pay to them, which is unique for the Desert/Mountain West

Boke1879

Just like that tweet said. Trump hasn't changed. And the media acting all honky dory is going to look fucking stupid when he signs that new travel or says something fucked up.

The entire world doesn't end in nuclear hellfire. Also it means the political press didn't just have the biggest fuck up in the profession's history on their watch.

When someone is at rock bottom and they mess up again, it's not really interesting. However, when someone had "redeemed" themselves and then fall off the wagon again, then it's a bigger story.

So they'll prop him up as legitimate, so when he messes up again it'll be a bigger story with more drama than had he just messed up because he always messes up and he's a failure.

It's so stupid, though. They know he's not for real, they know he'll still come gunning for them the second they do their actual job, they know he poses an existential threat to their very existence. Why provide cover? It's an incredibly stupid move.

also: how in the world is that Tom Perez thread up to 46 pages now?

Yeah, it's a little bit whack. For the record, I'm being real careful to avoid calling out specific users or getting too acrimonious. Let's see how this goes.

They were doing pretty well for a while, but yeah, it seems that they have to be actively dumped on or they will quickly forgive and forget.

Edit: What's the deal with New Mexico? It always seems to rate poorly, and is one of those states where they take more money from the feds than they pay to them, which is unique for the Desert/Mountain West

This is sort of what it reminds me of.

tbm24

Fair enough, I'm just saying with all the shit he's done the media shouldn't be so quick to be so positive about him.

Granted, I think it's important to note that the media is being positive by saying he didn't screw it up as epically as he screws up normally. If you take Van Jone's interpretation, it's entirely based on Trump doing the bare minimum of presidential duties which in this case is honoring a fallen soldier, however politically expedient that was aside(he's definitely not the first to do so). The only thing that will change the public perception of Trump outside his core base, is him not being himself and failing spectacularly. That's more or less was his point that got lost in the fervor of them not saying fuck trump over and over.

Blader

I think the headline and body of this article is a perfect example of why Democrats/progressives should not be trying to imitate the Tea Party as an ideological example. Republicans own all the levers of power in D.C. and yet can't even agree on what they heard in one speech!

I think the headline and body of this article is a perfect example of why Democrats/progressives should not be trying to imitate the Tea Party as an ideological example. Republicans own all the levers of power in D.C. and yet can't even agree on what they heard in one speech!

To be fair, the speech had no details whatsoever in it.

You had to project your own meaning onto it and well...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
To be fair, the speech had no details whatsoever in it.

You had to project your own meaning onto it and well...

The general point still stands. The GOP as a whole can't get anything done because they can't agree on what should get done, and the Freedom Caucus hold pretty much all the blame for that. They're dogmatic and refuse to compromise at all. Despite winning in November the party remains as dysfunctional as ever, it's just that winning covered up their flaws (just like it did for the Dems).

DonShula

It's so stupid, though. They know he's not for real, they know he'll still come gunning for them the second they do their actual job, they know he poses an existential threat to their very existence. Why provide cover? It's an incredibly stupid move.

They're kind of helping him measure out the rope he's going to use to hang himself, though. He's on a tear lately promising that his healthcare solution will cover everyone and be the best you've ever seen, and they're putting those words in headlines. They know he's only a tweet or two away from falling on his face again, and a cynic (me) would read that as them setting up the yo-yo narrative (one step forward, two steps back). They seem to be training him to amp up the hyperbole, teaching him that he gets positive press for saying things people like to hear, all the while knowing he is going to put the GOP in a vice to deliver on healthcare when we know they simply can't.

This yo-yo is good for ratings. Meanwhile, the Russia stuff is still simmering, and will be excellent television when the time comes.

AndyD

aka andydumi
If anything, this will embolden Trump to overreach and fuck up again even more.

Yep. At the end of the day, if he steps up and pushes through people-centric reforms at the expense of corporations and Wall Street, he will do well despite his abrasive persona.

The reality is they are letting him brag and talk and eventually hang himself and sink the GOP with him. By this winter, nothing will be going on as Congress will be eyeing midterm elections so they have this spring and summer to put forth and into force several huge controversial plans, healthcare, immigration, taxes.

Cabaratier

Neo Member
Politico has leaked the EU Commission White Paper on the future of the EU (I believe the official version is out now as well).

The Commission suggests 5 options for the Member States to choose from.

http://www.politico.eu/article/breaking-politico-obtains-white-paper-on-eu-future/

Scenario 1: Carrying on

Scenario 2: Nothing but the single market

Scenario 3: Those who want more do more

Scenario 4: Doing less more efficiently

Scenario 5: Doing much more together

Personally, I understand why the Commission has chosen this path, forcing the Member States to publicly make a choice, instead of blaming the Commission for everything.

Slacker

The rest of us can only dream about being evaluated at our jobs the way Trump is at his. You showed up to work most days? We'll call that 'meets expectations.' You wore pants on your bottom half and a shirt on your top? I'll mark 'exceeds expectations.' You made it all day without making fun of disabled people or talking about the size of your dick? 'Outstanding!"

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/trump-obamacare-republicans-235550?lo=ap_b3

Lol, those aren't plans, but ideas. Which, of course is not going to cover many people and will drop a lot of people from coverage. Some of these ideas are already ones that are covered by the Republicans anyway, however, they already acknowledged that their ideas won't cover everyone and some of the GOP worried about the backlash! So did they all suddenly forget or something, or are they just happy that Trump proposed ideas( which aren't new) that they already know isn't going to be effective?

This goes back to the talk earlier about Ryan and Mitch having an actual ideology, and Trump having nothing. If you handed him a bill that made a play on the popular New Deal (call it the Greatest Deal or some shit) and it was full of Bernie Sanders' ideas for everything from college to health care, he'd sign that shit in a heartbeat if you just told him how popular he'd be for doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom