• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foffy

Banned
There has been little to no automation in the last few years and that's why our GDP growth has sucked for several years.

We'll see what happens with better AI coming out.

Most automation has been localized with manufacturing. The White House finally admits this. The quote I posted earlier from John Kerry at Davos was literally about that.

They're also aware of the mobility being affected, the risk of those making >$20 in service jobs, and the eventual rise of driverless technologies.

The people replacing this cabinet however, haven't a fuckin' clue. They're like Rick Santorum in that they'll be quick to handwave and make up a "prosperous job of the technological gaps," and you know if Santorum is making this case, you know it's absolute bullshit.

Hoo boy that NBC special article on the state of the democratic party is not encouraging. They had an interesting way to explain the democrat's population/geography problem where they called it "self-gerrymandering" in terms of the kind of impact it has.

The US's lack of parliamentary/proportional elections basically means that the worsening rural/urban divide is going to keep the Democrats at enormous disadvantage moving forward. And even if they can reverse some of the bleeding, they'll still be disproportionately represented given the way the structure of the house/senate rewards smaller states.

FLEABttn

Banned
Yeah, it's not like legislation to lower the cost of prescription drugs just failed because a bunch of Democrats, some in safe seats, voted against it.

The Klobuchar Amendment was a backwards solution to prescription drug costs. Instead of regulating prescription drug costs, we're going to tell people to buy their drugs from a foreign country which actually does regulate their drug costs? That's asinine.

The Klobuchar Amendment was a backwards solution to prescription drug costs. Instead of regulating prescription drug costs, we're going to tell people to buy their drugs from a foreign country which actually does regulate their drug costs? That's asinine.

Politics is easier when the only explanation for disagreement is corruption. Even Nader's group takes a more nuanced approach by noting that there are legitimate issues at play here.

Public Citizen, a consumer-advocacy group and longtime critic of the pharmaceutical industry, has a mixed view of importation. The group, founded by Ralph Nader, has expressed concerns about quality and maintaining FDA standards. But it also is wary of industry influence opposing proposals to provide lower-cost drugs.

”Quality is not an illegitimate argument," said Peter Maybarduk, director of Public Citizen's Access to Medicines Program. ”However, our experience counsels that it sometimes is a fig leaf for protecting pharma profits, and that issue shouldn't be ignored as well."

Hoo boy that NBC special article on the state of the democratic party is not encouraging. They had an interesting way to explain the democrat's population/geography problem where they called it "self-gerrymandering" in terms of the kind of impact it has.

The US's lack of parliamentary/proportional elections basically means that the worsening rural/urban divide is going to keep the Democrats at enormous disadvantage moving forward. And even if they can reverse some of the bleeding, they'll still be disproportionately represented given the way the structure of the house/senate rewards smaller states.

A lot of the gerrymandering stuff has actually been debunked by political scientists and Stephen Wolf. That was the worst part of the article.

Kusagari

Also explains why Trump might be a formidable foe in 2020. "He's a businessman!"

Even a large number of Democrats who hate his guts fall for the "businessman knows how to fix economy" crap. It's a dangerous trait. Though it will probably be blunted if the economy is in the tubes in 4 years.

Also explains why Trump might be a formidable foe in 2020. "He's a businessman!"

Or it shows that Trump has a lot of favorability to lose moving forward if he sets the economy on fire! "I liked Trump because I thought he be good for the economy but now the economy sucks!"

And seriously, Trump is the type of guy to fuck around with defaulting on debt, there is a decent chance he causes a massive recession.

Or it shows that Trump has a lot of favorability to lose moving forward if he sets the economy on fire! "I liked Trump because I thought he be good for the economy but now the economy sucks!"

And seriously, Trump is the type of guy to fuck around with defaulting on debt, there is a decent chance he causes a massive recession.

Maybe, but this explains even with this shit favorables why some (not all) voted for him.

There was also, you know, racism.

Foffy

Banned
Only 21% of Americans thinking that Trump will be disastrous for the economy shows that not enough people understand the economy.

I do worry people will look at the stock market as justification of "wellbeing."

The stock market doing well is in stark contrast to the precarity most Americans are literally living in. But we know the GOP will emphasize the first and be deaf on the second bit..

People are way too confident about how things are going to be moving forward.

Even under Raygun and Dubya, those guys were somewhat intelligent and somewhat understood reality and we were constrained by people that also somewhat understood reality.

Trump does not understand anything.

At all.

Trump thinks that if we cut oil imports by $500B and did nothing else, workers' wages in aggregate would go up by $500B. He is really dumb.and really not connected to reality and there is nothing to stop him. Lots of extraordinarily bad things could happen in the world and economy in the next four years.

Let's just always remember that the current GOP is the party that thought not raising the debt ceiling would be fine. Then note that Trump is less connected to reality than those guys.

rjinaz

I really feel like the Democratic party is limp right now. People just don't want reason or common sense. They are angry with politicians and just want change. Maybe after Trump being that bad, people will come around. Tis my only hope.

I do worry people will look at the stock market as justification of "wellbeing."

The stock market doing well is in stark contrast to the precarity most Americans are literally living in. But we know the GOP will emphasize the first and be deaf on the second bit..
Meh Democrats did the same thing and it bit them in the ass, prioritizing national trends and ignoring troubling statistics underneath (low wage growth, U6 being significantly higher than U3, shitty jobs driving unemployment reduction) that let them say Obama saved the economy even though it didn't feel like it to many people.

Not to say Obama didn't right the ship, but it's hard to feel that way when your factory or mining job is gone forever.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/18/...ecretary-donald-trump.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

You can't make this shit up.

Mr. Perry, who once called for the elimination of the Energy Department, will begin the confirmation process Thursday with a hearing before the Senate Energy Committee. If approved by the Senate, he will take over from a secretary, Ernest J. Moniz, who was chairman of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology physics department and directed the linear accelerator at M.I.T.'s Laboratory for Nuclear Science. Before Mr. Moniz, the job belonged to Steven Chu, a physicist who won a Nobel Prize.

For Mr. Moniz, the future of nuclear science has been a lifelong obsession; he spent his early years working at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center. Mr. Perry studied animal husbandry and led cheers at Texas A&M University.

Mr. Moniz had such deep experience with nuclear weapons that in 2015, President Obama made him a co-negotiator, along with Secretary of State John Kerry, of the Iran nuclear deal.

How do you replace Moniz with this imbecile?

Seriously, Trump just picked a guy to maintain our nuclear weapons who had no idea that the job was about maintaining nuclear weapons when he accepted the job.

Trump likely had no idea either that that's what he was offering.

This is the first administration since Harding or Jackson that fails to reach a basic level of competence. And this is in an era where America is a superpower. Things you never thought could happen are going to happen.

Watching this DNC chair debate on Facebook Live.

Pete Buttigieg is wiping the floor with everyone. Tom Perez has made some bad missteps. Keith Ellison is having Nancy Pelosi's daughter seriously stump for him in the comments section.

Based on what Pelosi's daughter is doing, I think Ellison has it won already and this is just a dog & pony show. I think it's a mistake. Buttigieg is a star. I think he would be awesome.

Seriously, Trump just picked a guy to maintain our nuclear weapons who had no idea that the job was about maintaining nuclear weapons when he accepted the job.

Trump likely had no idea either that that's what he was offering.

This is the first administration since Harding or Jackson that fails to reach a basic level of competence. And this is in an era where America is a superpower. Things you never thought could happen are going to happen.

Rick Perry is as smart as Sarah Palin.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...like-to-be-energy-secretary-but-not-for-long/

Sarah Palin thinks she would make a great secretary of the U.S. Energy Department because as a former governor of Alaska she knows a thing or two about "oil and gas and minerals."
Palin, during an interview Sunday on CNN's "State of the Union," said: "I think a lot about the Department of Energy, because energy is my baby ... And if I were head of that, I would get rid of it. And I would let the states start having more control over the lands that are within their boundaries and the people who are affected by the developments within their space."

Pete Buttigieg is wiping the floor with everyone. Tom Perez has made some bad missteps. Keith Ellison is having Nancy Pelosi's daughter seriously stump for him in the comments section.

Based on what Pelosi's daughter is doing, I think Ellison has it won already and this is just a dog & pony show. I think it's a mistake. Buttigieg is a star. Get him somewhere visible.

I'm pretty sure Buttigieg won't be chosen but he seems like he's got a bright future no matter what, so I'm not too concerned.

America should be ready for a gay president in a cycle or two anyways

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Based on what Pelosi's daughter is doing, I think Ellison has it won already and this is just a dog & pony show. I think it's a mistake. Buttigieg is a star. I think he would be awesome.

Just like the primaries!!! -- Berniebro

/s

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member

why relegate a star to dnc chair? You want someone who is going to doggedly put in work, without any credit and with little face time.

Japan on WW2 is basically as bad as the Deep South on slavery.

One of Japan’s biggest hotel chains has sparked fury in China after placing a book in guest rooms claiming that the 1937 massacre of Chinese troops and civilians by Japanese soldiers in Nanjing was a “fabrication”.

Japan’s chief cabinet secretary, Yoshihide Suga, did not comment directly on the book but said the two countries, whose ties have been soured by rival disputes over Japan’s conduct in parts of the Chinese mainland before and during the second world war, should focus on the future.

“We need to tackle shared global challenges with a forward-looking view, rather than paying excessive attention to our unfortunate history,” Suga told reporters.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ngers-china-over-book-denial-nanjing-massacre

Holmes

She'll now lose by 8 points instead of 12.

Hopefully Manchin can survive even with his daughter trying to rip off the sick.
I think you're underestimating North Dakota's willingness to vote Democratic. It's not like it's Idaho or Kansas, and it's had two popular Democratic senators in the very recent past.

Also this is normally the height of a Presidential honeymoon, so if those are the best numbers Trump can muster, it'll be a tough few years for him.

I think you're underestimating North Dakota's willingness to vote Democratic. It's not like it's Idaho or Kansas, and it's had two popular Democratic senators in the very recent past.

Also this is normally the height of a Presidential honeymoon, so if those are the best numbers Trump can muster, it'll be a tough few years for him.

North Dakota is changing rapidly and has added thousands and thousands of oil workers recently.

Heitkamp is going to have to win an R+40 state.

Ecotic

CNN's 'Last Days of Obama' which is on right now, is good to see the behind the scenes stuff of the staffers and other VIPs.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I forget, when Reid invoked the nuclear option, did he eliminate the filibuster for cabinet level appointees?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom