• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trump has demonstrated a mastery at leading the media to cover stupid little stories like this. I'm left wondering who played whom?

He's gotten away with this so far but now that he's the president, the important issues are going to take precedence. He's now responsible for everything good or bad.

Trump has demonstrated a mastery at leading the media to cover stupid little stories like this. I'm left wondering who played whom?

Screaming and saying that you are indeed actually cool is definitely a masterful second day move.

People who assign Donald Trump as having impulse control are precious.

Teggy

As Maggie Haberman pointed out, it's not impossible for both things to be true - Trump has a fragile ego and he's also using this as a distraction. Of course it would not surprise me if he gets advised to do things like this by Bannon.

Boke1879

He didn't play anybody. Trump is definitely pissed about crowd numbers. This isn't some genius thing. He's literally just upset his crowd was WAY down from Obama's and the marches today eclipses that as well.

Also he's the President. Mostly everything regarding him is going to get reported on. He could have walked out there. Taken a shit in front of the CIA and the media would cover it just the same.

Except what Spicer did was much worse. It pretty much showed this admin is going to live in their own reality. They are going to lie about things we can clearly see with our own two eyes. Why would I believe them about anything after this?

Protests hurt Democrats because the less educated class sees protestors as whiny, welfare queens, and unAmerican.

"These protests are a slap in the face to America! God I pray one day people get over it and move on already! Lord help us!!"

"Who cares what this tiny percentage of people are doing. Get a life and learn how to be an American!!"

"This is NOT a Woman's March. It's an exclusive radical far-left feminist march for people who want to keep killing their children before they're born, and if you have a different opinion, you're not welcome to march with them. These people literally don't even know what they're protesting. They DON'T speak for all women!"
No. There are more people who agree with these protestors than disagree. It is important that the majority mobilizes to prevent the upcoming authoritarian rule.

Biden has to be thinking about this. He has to. After 4 years of what just happened today, I believe America is going to want a big boy back in control again, and Biden has the experience and public popularity to win easily.
I just wish Biden was 20, even 10 years younger. 78 is a little late to be jumping into a presidential race.

But if he's in good health and good spirits, why not? Just as long as younger blood doesn't take it as a reason to stay out like Clinton's entry in the 2016 race did.

gaugebozo

Carl Levin came to our little suburb of Detroit march (pic with owners of a local bakery):

fJ57sMB.jpg

We miss you, bud.

No seriously, what is he distracting people from? What massive scandal is he destroying his press secretary's last shred of credibility to hide? There isn't anything!

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Except like I also said in the post, there wasn't anything to really distract from? The Women's March coverage had been going all day and was basically wrapping up anyway, and now he's turned the crowd numbers into a lasting piece, along with the fact that his press secretary's apparently a loon.

You remember how CNN turned itself into the butt of Internet jokes with its coverage of a missing airplane? Imagine that, but with a pointless story of no significance. Even if he isn't distracting from other coverage (like a certain executive order, the women's march, or the for-the-history-books curtaingate), the media hurts its credibility with dumb stories like this.

Not the dude with approval ratings in the 30s, that's for sure.

I'm not sure what his approval ratings have to do with this.

Boke1879

No seriously, what is he distracting people from? What massive scandal is he destroying his press secretary's last shred of credibility to hide? There isn't anything!

Yup. If anything the media straight up called them out on it. There's photos out there that prove he's lying.

Not to mention the marches today have been going on all day. Live streamed by most networks and were clearly wrapping up. He didn't distract anyone from anything. The marches got a full days coverage.

Kinda tired of people thinking every move Trump makes is some sort of grand plan. Maybe it's more likely that our president is whining about crowd sizes because he is a huge child?

Kinda tired of people thinking every move Trump makes is some sort of grand plan. Maybe it's more likely that our president is whining about crowd sizes because he is a huge child?

Definitely. He is chaos, there is no plan. He lies even when it isn't advantageous. It is coincidence it overshadows the evil shit, because he is always doing evil shit.

If Pop was America's coach, we would all be running so many stairs right now.

I can't wait to see how Trump attempts to attack him. He's an Air Force Academy grad, served 5 years in the Air Force, is the coach of Team USA, and a 5x NBA champ. He's a military man, the coach of a national team so he's got the patriotic box checked, and a 5x champ so he's not a loser.

tuxfool

Banned
This is called trying to convince yourself that the man you voted for president is actually a genius and not a man baby.

Quite. It is almost as delusional as that press conference.

Yeah. Do they really think that this makes them look strong or capable? It makes them look like fools.

But which states are at risk of flipping in two years? I'm kind of skeptical atm about any swing states right now...
Going over House seats would take a bit so I won't for right now.

There's not much opportunity in the Senate unfortunately because Dems had a big wave year in 06 that they expanded upon in 2012. Only real opportunities are Nevada (Dean Heller, won by less than a point in 2012) and Arizona (Jeff Flake, won by 3 points) while we're defending a lot of vulnerable incumbents. The best we could do, holding every D-held seat and flipping those two would still just tie the Senate, effectively giving Rs control as Pence would be tiebreaker.

The big cheese for Democrats will be the governor's races. Hillary states with R governors up in 2018 include:

Illinois
Maryland
Massachusetts
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Mexico
Vermont

Arizona, Florida, Michigan and Wisconsin - all close last year - will also have gubernatorial elections.

Potentially vulnerable Dem-held seats: Alaska (kind of), Colorado, Connecticut, Minnesota, Pennsylvania

I can't wait to see how Trump attempts to attack him. He's an Air Force Academy grad, served 5 years in the Air Force, is the coach of Team USA, and a 5x NBA champ. He's a military man, the coach of a national team so he's got the patriotic box checked, and a 5x champ so he's not a loser.

45 shat on POWs, he'd be happy to shit on this man too

rjinaz

You remember how CNN turned itself into the butt of Internet jokes with its coverage of a missing airplane? Imagine that, but with a pointless story of no significance. Even if he isn't distracting from other coverage (like a certain executive order, the women's march, or the for-the-history-books curtaingate), the media hurts its credibility with dumb stories like this.

I'm not sure what his approval ratings have to do with this.

You mean the covering of an actual press conference given by the Trump administration?
How does it hurt credibility of the media? I'm lost. But I knew this would be the media's fault and not Trump's somehow.

Note: Trump today destroyed the credibility of the White House in foreign affairs and foreign nations will have to assume that everything the White House says is a lie.

Masterful.

So it turns out Spicer's claim that it's the first year they used floor coverings to protect the lawn is blatantly false.

And something about magnetometers being used was confirmed false by the secret service.

It seems like the entire press conference or statement or whatever was a complete lie. When can we oust these people for treason?

Maengun1

I've watched almost zero CNN since the election, but I just put it on for a second and they STILL have braindead Trump spinners on every panel. This just happened:

Anderson: "Will you admit that Spicer and Trump are lying when they say his crowd was bigger than Obama's?"
Trump Surrogate: "I don't know how big the crowds were! WHO KNOWS! No one knows so no one can say they lied"
*Anderson puts up Obama vs. Trump crowd pic*
Anderson: "So you can see Obama's is clearly bigger right..."
Trump Surrogate: "Who CARES about crowd size?? Why do you all care about this LOL"
Anderson: "Why does President Trump care about this so much?"
Trump Surrogate: "LOL YOU GUYS ARE SO MAD!!!! Let's talk about his Historic Landslide Election win why don't we talk about that?? :)"

yeahhhh going back to not watching this

edit: they also said that Trump's team has spent most of their time the last few days "trying to keep him calm." jfc they literally talk about him like he's a special needs child (accurately).

Also CT isn't potentially vulnerable. Malloy has a lower approval rating than the Governor in Michigan who literally poisoned children and still refused to fix Flint's water problem.

He will 100% lose if the CT Democrats don't nominate someone else. He barely won in 2012; even after a quick, hard response to Sandy Hook.

It's better to overestimate your enemy.

I don't think that's where these people are coming from... a lot of times it comes across as wishful thinking.

I see what you're saying though and I'm not underestimating shit. Sometimes a man baby acting like a man baby is just that. Gives us a preview of what to expect from this administration.

I've watched almost zero CNN since the election, but I just put it on for a second and they STILL have braindead Trump spinners on every panel. This just happened:

Anderson: "Will you admit that Spicer and Trump are lying when they say his crowd was bigger than Obama's?"
Trump Surrogate: "I don't know how big the crowds were! WHO KNOWS! No one knows so no one can say they lied"
*Anderson puts up Obama vs. Trump crowd pic*
Anderson: "So you can see Obama's is clearly bigger right..."
Trump Surrogate: "Who CARES about crowd size?? Why do you all care about this LOL"
Anderson: "Why does President Trump care about this so much?"
Trump Surrogate: "LOL YOU GUYS ARE SO MAD!!!! Let's talk about his Historic Landslide Election win why don't we talk about that?? :)"

yeahhhh going back to not watching this

Those are the best parts. Watching them flounder and try to lie for Trump and getting caught with nowhere to go.

I don't think that's where these people are coming from... a lot of times it comes across as wishful thinking.

I see what you're saying though and I'm not underestimating shit. Sometimes a man baby acting like a man baby is just that. Gives us a preview of what to expect from this administration.

I agree with royalan, it's better to overestimate him at this point. He was underestimated during the primaries, and well.

The White House possibly just destroyed all of their credibility when it comes to disease or hurricane or other natural disaster warnings.

Imagine a national emergency where people feel like they can't trust the government because it has begun to tell easily disprovable lies.

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/822986332364505088

If Trump is really "trying to play the media" then he won the battle (which gets the winnings of ???) and lost the war.

rjinaz

That if Trump is trying to "play" the media, it's clearly not working. Unless your metric is solely just his base, who never really trusted media apart from Fox News in the first place if we're being honest.

Yeah, I never thought Trump and his administration were some kind of master manipulators. That's not what won him the election. He won because he was saying what they wanted to hear, which was also what he believed anyway and the people that voted for him were just that stupid and they really hated Hillary.

Trump's feelings are hurt and now that he is president he is demanding the respect he thinks he is due.

That is all there is to see here.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The Dems should listen to those who didn't want to vote for Hillary, not Trump's "supporters", especially since he'll lose a big chunk of them over the next few months and years anyway.

Maengun1

The Dems should listen to those who didn't want to vote for Hillary, not Trump's "supporters", especially since he'll lose a big chunk of them over the next few months and years anyway.

I will say that as someone who was backing Hillary hard from spring 2015 and never looked back (and I still think she was the best choice but w/e), it makes me think ... basically, I don't want to weigh in on the 2020 contender discussions at all. I got my way last year and things didn't work out, so I'm gonna let whatever happens happen next time, and check back in for the general.

mo60

The White House possibly just destroyed all of their credibility when it comes to disease or hurricane or other natural disaster warnings.

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/822986332364505088

If Trump is really "trying to play the media" then he won the battle (which gets the winnings of ???) and lost the war.

I wonder if trump and his administration are preparing for the next hurricane season or thinking of preparing for it soon.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Trump has so successfully cast a fake image of shrewd businessman who always gets the best deals that people have been duped into believing, since his nomination announcement in 2015, that any time things aren't going his way it's actually part of some cunning plan. And it's still going.

But yeah, as mentioned above, at some point the lies become so obvious that you can't even deliver a message other than to your most rabid supporters. It will be impossible to rally the people to win another election in those conditions.

edit: I wonder what Barron is thinking. He had to hear about the grab the pussy stuff, the Pissgate, etc. Plus Melania and Trump are probably not on good terms right now.

I will say that as someone who was backing Hillary hard from spring 2015 and never looked back (and I still think she was the best choice but w/e), it makes me think ... basically, I don't want to weigh in on the 2020 contender discussions at all. I got my way last year and things didn't work out, so I'm gonna let whatever happens happen next time, and check back in for the general.

I was (and am) also a hard Hillary supporter. Next time, I'm going to throw my support behind the most charismatic/likeable/hype-inducing candidate. Regardless of the issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom