• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I was China this is the perfect time to test him.

Terrorists also have an easy opening to get him to do something rash.

Every moment of the next four years is the perfect time to test him.

Trump's mental state is going to degrade pretty quickly considering his lack of fitness and sleep and considering his age and considering the job he just got. Every day will be worse than the last.

This isn't Trump on tilt, this is as good as Trump will ever be as president.

Maengun1

Today's anti-trump marches: inspiring
Today's team trump meltdown: predictable, boring, yet still horrifying

I gotta say though, it's really hard for me to bite my tongue and hold my contempt for all the people I see who were singing the tune of "DAE think Shillary is the true evil??" up to and including the morning of November 8 who are now all "we need to band together to fight Trump :D :D :D" Because yeah we do need to band together now, but man am I mad. Some people just want to be the rebels heroically fighting the Big Bad in their own personal epic story. I just wanted President Clinton to oversee a boring, quiet era where boring nice things happened.

Not to be a downer, but as I said in the other thread, the protests against Scott Walker after 2010 led him to being re-elected by an even bigger margin than the first time.

I don't think the protests against Scott Walker "led" to him winning by a greater margin.

This is a very flawed take. Maybe fake news.

Not to be a downer, but as I said in the other thread, the protests against Scott Walker after 2010 led him to being re-elected by an even bigger margin than the first time.

Not that I think these marches guarantee future victories or anything, but I wouldn't really say the protests helped Walker per se. The recall, which was of course tied into the protests, was an overreach that did probably help him, but beyond that Walker faced weak opponents in both the 2012 recall election and 2014, and was running in a Republican wave in 2014. In both re-election efforts he was also benefitting from an improving national economy.

These marches may not guarantee future victories, but they absolutely are positive developments.

Left inauguration, right women's march

C2uvF_RXgAEeuZp.jpg:large

Wilsongt

Protests hurt Democrats because the less educated class sees protestors as whiny, welfare queens, and unAmerican.

"These protests are a slap in the face to America! God I pray one day people get over it and move on already! Lord help us!!"

"Who cares what this tiny percentage of people are doing. Get a life and learn how to be an American!!"

"This is NOT a Woman's March. It's an exclusive radical far-left feminist march for people who want to keep killing their children before they're born, and if you have a different opinion, you're not welcome to march with them. These people literally don't even know what they're protesting. They DON'T speak for all women!"

Scott Walker didn't react to the protests like a fucking psychopath and have to deny the size of the crowds because it wounded his paper thin skin

Trump doesn't have the ability to weaponize something like this. He's too stupid and too insecure

Protests hurt Democrats because the less educated class sees protestors as whiny, welfare queens, and unAmerican.

"These protests are a slap in the face to America! God I pray one day people get over it and move on already! Lord help us!!"

"Who cares what this tiny percentage of people are doing. Get a life and learn how to be an American!!"

"This is NOT a Woman's March. It's an exclusive radical far-left feminist march for people who want to keep killing their children before they're born, and if you have a different opinion, you're not welcome to march with them. These people literally don't even know what they're protesting. They DON'T speak for all women!"

Any protest for liberal values is going to be met with that kind of stupidity

The problem with "drive Trump mental" as a strategy is that Trump control the nuclear codes and Mad Dog would have to literally kill Donald Trump to stop the end of the human race if Trump becomes completely disconnected from reality.

That's because even some Democrats disagreed with the recall and then no strong candidate ran in 2014.

So the protests hurt Democrats because people who would never consider voting Democratic will react negatively to them?

The problem with "drive Trump mental" as a strategy is that Trump control the nuclear codes and Mad Dog would have to literally kill Donald Trump to stop the end of the human race if Trump becomes completely disconnected from reality.
Well if anyone would do it I think a guy by the name of Mad Dog would be up to the task should it come to that

We have to stop pussyfooting around the feelings of Republicans. You make your argument strongly and passionately, people will listen.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
The dnc caused this by scheduling political debates for Saturdays

Think how different things would be if only Hillary didn't know ahead of time that she was going to be asked about the Flint water crisis during the debate in Flint.

Debirudog

These right wing kind of people are stupid as always.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I don't think the protests against Scott Walker "led" to him winning by a greater margin.

This is a very flawed take. Maybe fake news.

Not that I think these marches guarantee future victories or anything, but I wouldn't really say the protests helped Walker per se. The recall, which was of course tied into the protests, was an overreach that did probably help him, but beyond that Walker faced weak opponents in both the 2012 recall election and 2014, and was running in a Republican wave in 2014. In both re-election efforts he was also benefitting from an improving national economy.

These marches may not guarantee future victories, but they absolutely are positive developments.

I phrased that poorly. I didn't mean the protests caused Walker to be re-elected, but rather they were not indicative of any practical results during the next election.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

If CNN actually wants to become as liberal as republicans say they are, I would be more than OK with that.

At this point I will settle for them pointing out every one of his blatant lies.

Plumbob

If CNN actually wants to become as liberal as republicans say they are, I would be more than OK with that.

At this point I will settle for them pointing out every one of his blatant lies.

That's all that's needed, is reporting facts and calling out liars.

Perriello is a weird case because he's clearly progressive, but also has a proven track record in elections (even when he lost in 2010, it was a way smaller margin than it should have been).
I honestly think candidate quality and the ideological spectrum are completely separate at this point. The packaging matters far more than the contents.

Jason Kander was a terrific candidate, probably the best recruit on either side last cycle (even though he lost, he ran 16 points ahead of the top of ticket), but he didn't break ranks with Democrats on any significant issue. Even during his gun ad, he was touting his support for background checks and the no-fly list ban. He was a progressive in centrist packaging.

Alan Grayson isn't a bad candidate because he's liberal, he's a bad candidate because he's an asshole.

I honestly think candidate quality and the ideological spectrum are completely separate at this point. The packaging matters far more than the contents.

Jason Kander was a terrific candidate, probably the best recruit on either side last cycle (even though he lost, he ran 16 points ahead of the top of ticket), but he didn't break ranks with Democrats on any significant issue. Even during his gun ad, he was touting his support for background checks and the no-fly list ban. He was a progressive in centrist packaging.

Alan Grayson isn't a bad candidate because he's liberal, he's a bad candidate because he's an asshole.

I don't know that I would go quite so far as to say "completely separate" but I will say that people are a lot more willing to listen to what you have to say if you can convince them that you understand them and their concerns.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

And this is what scares me the most about a Trump administration. They will lie for literally no goddamned reason at all. We literally cannot trust anything that comes out of the White House at this point, we can trust nothing and that's not good at all considering the power the words of the president hold.

Firstly, I am digging the cut of CNN's new jib.

Secondly, the administration definitely Streisand'd this thing. It was a humiliating little footnote, now it's gonna be MAJOR NEWS. Well played y'all.

Doesn't even distract from the Women's March coverage since that'd been going all day at this point.

We have to stop pussyfooting around the feelings of Republicans. You make your argument strongly and passionately, people will listen.

This. I would also point out that failing to protest can act as a balm for the weak-minded. "Well, I'm not sure how I feel about it, but nobody really seems to be loudly objecting, so I guess it can't be that bad."

Wikileaks is out to get any dissenters to the regime.

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/822928187592151040

Man they are not being subtle about this.

This is 100% true and it is a MASSIVE failing of our education system. Soon as I graduate and get my "permanent" job I'm gonna start putting out feelers about running for the local school board, and so should every other activist with some free time on their hands. It's a part-time position that can massively effect future generations.

This is 100% true and it is a MASSIVE failing of our education system. Soon as I graduate and get my "permanent" job I'm gonna start putting out feelers about running for the local school board, and so should every other activist with some free time on their hands. It's a part-time position that can massively effect future generations.
Yeah I agree it's not exactly ideal, but also probably the difference between democracy and something more parliamentarian. In other countries they vote for the party, in the US they vote for the person. For partisans that's a trifling difference, but for swing voters the politics involved are completely different.

I'm thinking about putting my name in for a city council seat myself, actually.

I don't know that I would go quite so far as to say "completely separate" but I will say that people are a lot more willing to listen to what you have to say if you can convince them that you understand them and their concerns.
I guess I shouldn't say completely separate, even the best Republican will still have trouble winning in a blue state against a competent Democrat (not included in that category: Martha Coakley) and vice-versa. John Bel Edwards won against a highly flawed candidate, but was still probably just as conservative as he needed to be.

Broadly though I think it stands.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
And this is what scares me the most about a Trump administration. They will lie for literally no goddamned reason at all. We literally cannot trust anything that comes out of the White House at this point, we can trust nothing and that's not good at all considering the power the words of the president hold.

A large percentage of those who voted for him just didn't want Hillary. He's going to be losing support fast other than his hardcore followers if he keeps this up.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

And he's in charge of all the agencies that report economic, education, environment, justice, and health statistics.

Teggy

Have the right completely wiped the Tea Party from their memory? Do they not remember protesting in Washington? Do they not remember calling Obama a communist and complaining about the ACA?

The cognitive dissonance is staggering.

A large percentage of those who voted for him just didn't want Hillary. He's going to be losing support fast other than his hardcore followers if he keeps this up.
It's infuriating looking back, but hopeful looking forward - you would only need to convince less than 40,000 Trump voters in WI/MI/PA to vote for the next Democratic nominee over him to flip the result, assuming all else stayed the same.

Hoping Trump is similar to Carter, eking out a win over a scandal-tarred (but not totally responsible for) nominee a good faction of the party isn't happy with, only to get blown out four years later.

mo60

i wouldn't be surprised if the republicans found a way to kick him out of the presidency eventually at thia point.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It's infuriating looking back, but hopeful looking forward - you would only need to convince less than 40,000 Trump voters in WI/MI/PA to vote for the next Democratic nominee over him to flip the result, assuming all else stayed the same.

Hoping Trump is similar to Carter, eking out a win over a scandal-tarred (but not totally responsible for) nominee a good faction of the party isn't happy with, only to get blown out four years later.

Biden has to be thinking about this. He has to. After 4 years of what just happened today, I believe America is going to want a big boy back in control again, and Biden has the experience and public popularity to win easily.

And impeachment would guarantee a loss though. They just want to get through this.

Eh, if they impeach him within the 1st year for "non-partisan" reasons (ie. he's a corrupt asshole with his business dealings, not the Russia stuff), they'd get shellacked in 2018, but by 2020, either Pence or another conservative could run and have an OK shot.

And impeachment would guarantee a loss though. They just want to get through this.

Which is why we need to win the house and senate in 2018 and impeach him then.

If we can generate these sorts of crowds and keep people on the crowd I don't want to hear anything about how it can't be done.

mo60

He could end up more like alison redford in Alberta. She won an election she wasn't suppose to win in Alberta according to polls in 2012 by literally a landslide because her main opponent in that election was worse than her and they decided to sink their own campaign in the last week or so of that election campaign. She eventually got kicked out because of corruption and other issues because her own party abandoned her. The person after her failed to fix the issues she caused which helped lead to the downfall of that political party,

Democrats are never going to get through to those people.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Secondly, the administration definitely Streisand'd this thing. It was a humiliating little footnote, now it's gonna be MAJOR NEWS. Well played y'all.

Trump has demonstrated a mastery at leading the media to cover stupid little stories like this. I'm left wondering who played whom?

Trump has demonstrated a mastery at leading the media to cover stupid little stories like this. I'm left wondering who played whom?

Except like I also said in the post, there wasn't anything to really distract from? The Women's March coverage had been going all day and was basically wrapping up anyway, and now he's turned the crowd numbers into a lasting piece, along with the fact that his press secretary's apparently a loon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom