• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I heard some channels I subscribed to on Youtube talking about a liberal/libertarian alliance recently. I've heard it a lot on TYT and Secular Talk for example.

I wanted to know what you guys opinions are on that.

I personally think its a really, really dangerous idea.
The only issues liberals and libertarian overlap is social issues.
Liberal believe in marriage equality, LGBTQ rights and a right to choose.
Libertarians, in my experience, don't. They just don't give a fuck and think that government should fuck off and as a result everyone can do whatever they want.

But thats not really the problem, the problem is that other than for social issues, liberal and libertarian goal are quite the opposite.
As a liberal I believe in fairness, meaning that the government should make sure that we all have equal opportunities. This make free universal healthcare, free quality education until University, a tight social net preventing homelessness and many more things necessary.
As a liberal I believe in big government. A big government for and by the people. Social democracy.

These things are the polar opposites of what libertarians believe.

I am sure many of you have seen this picture:
Equality%2BEquity.jpg

Its simplified but I think it illustrates the basic problem pretty good.

Whenever I encountered libertarians I heard insanely crude view about government and how evil it is. Weird concepts of freedom and equality.
Especially as a European, I just don't get this philosophy. It seems so misguided and misinformed and fearful and I think that very dangerous and I hope democrats don't make the mistake to try to cater to that crowd one bit.

Less government is exactly the wrong way to go for the US. Even if that sounds weird now with Trump and his autocratic antics at the top.

There is an edit to that image I can't seem to find at the moment which ads a third panel. In the third panel the wooden fence is replaced by a see-through fence so that everybody can view the game equally without needing boxes to stand on.

The altered message is that there are barriers to everyone which are taken for granted, but don't have to be there. The wealthy and powerful ignore those barriers because they're so "tall" they step over them without even realizing they're there.

The takeaway seems to relate to libertarians. The kind of liberty they desire is naive in that it doesn't recognize people are human. Someone will inevitably get more wealth or power than others, and as soon as they do, will not see the world the same way as those with less. They will stop paying attention to problems like wooden fences blocking the less empowered. This is part of what powers places like the meritocracy of Silicon Valley. People are narcissistic about their success and can't see why ruthlessly pure meritocracies aren't the best way to sort human worth and properly tag everyone. They never get as far as asking if it's even moral to measure fundamental humanity based on one's productivity within an economic system.

Exactly. And the government benefits being apprenticeships flanks the anti-entitlement rhetoric. I know because during my campaign canvassing I found that whenever I found a voter who said they didn't like the government giving "handouts" I found lots of success responding with suggestion of apprenticeship programs.

I doubt that all of those Rust Belt voters are that stubborn that they would refuse a training program if it was literally brought to their local area.

Sure, if they're there. The problem is that they vote against those programs (or candidates backing them) in favor of the old "I'll bring back your grandpa's job just for you!"

If we get the ability to do these things, do them (and then run later on their almost-certain success). But getting back in charge is hard when you won't sell fairy tales.

Reaching across the aisle surely backstabbed us badly this election cycle.

At every level. Republicans in government sabotaged the political process, and attempting to reach out to Republican voters resulted in a whole lot of time and money down the drain.

They're simply fundamentally immoral and untrustworthy. Bipartisanship is dead.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
This is why you don't appoint Republicans to important government positions. If Obama put a hardcore Dem in charge, we would not have a Trump presidency.

i think i read or heard somewhere that there has never been a Democratic-party FBI director.

Lindsay Graham flushing away his political ideology because he's scared of Trump's Twitter account means that there are no good Republicans left.

I needed one last Republican to let me down before I called it, but yep, the party is diseased.

Obama's Pollyanna attitude in regard to bipartisanship is what led us to the abyss we're staring down today.

It was that damn comic where Obama steps right and the Republicans step further right again and again and again. Eventually Obama followed them off the cliff and landed in the landfill where Trump lives.

royalan

I have no doubt that Spicer went out there and did exactly what Trump wanted him to do, exactly how Trump wanted him to do it.

Trump is throwing him under the bus now to stay "above the fray," but that was always the plan.

This is exactly what he does to every dumbass stupid enough to make the trip up Trump Tower, only to be made a clown by the time they make it back down. Trump looks magnanimous; you look like a damn fool.

UberTag

I have no doubt that Spicer went out there and did exactly what Trump wanted him to do, exactly how Trump wanted him to do it.

Trump is throwing him under the bus now to stay "above the fray," but that was always the plan.

This is exactly what he does to every dumbass stupid enough to make the trip up Trump Tower, only to be made a clown by the time they make it back down. Trump looks magnanimous; you look like a damn fool.
We need to trot out the patented NeoGAF "will save the" chalkboard graphic to track the sacrifical lamb press secretaries that get chewed up by the Trump machine and summarily replaced.

We should also have a betting pool on how long Spicer lasts.

I don't think anyone on his team has any delusions about what their job is. They're all jesters whose function is to trick people into forgetting that the king is one too.

It's just that some people are true believers while others are mercenaries without any semblance of a moral code looking for whatever paycheck they can scum up.

kirblar

This is ridiculous.
No it isn't. They're the ones whining about a lack of class solidarity and lack of class focus while ignoring that white racism is the reason it's never existed over the course of the US's entire existence.
I doubt that all of those Rust Belt voters are that stubborn that they would refuse a training program if it was literally brought to their local area.
You know what areas are doing well economically in rust belt states?

College Towns.

Sure, if they're there. The problem is that they vote against those programs (or candidates backing them) in favor of the old "I'll bring back your grandpa's job just for you!"

If we get the ability to do these things, do them (and then run later on their almost-certain success). But getting back in charge is hard when you won't sell fairy tales.

Well the idea is that you campaign on telling those voters that you plan on bringing the training and jobs to them.

You know what areas are doing well economically in rust belt states?

College Towns.

Doesn't this prove my point though that if you literally bring the training and jobs to them, they won't reject them?

dramatis

Unfortunately, welcome to the actual job of the DNC Chair!

They're not supposed to be politicians or future presidential candidates...They're actually supposed to bring in the money needed to make the infrastructure changes and support the organizing efforts we want.

kadotsu

Banned
If the DNC wants to have any relevance state level they need the money. They have to go against the full force of billionaire donors on Citizens United steroids.

I don't have a problem with the others not going, and I believe this cements my theory that Buttigieg got in the running to try and make sure things are getting on a better course and to help get his name out there a bit.

I wonder what Dems are going to counter Trump's pro-america trade/economic policies with in 4 years. Or even 2.

It's going to be hard to argue that companies aren't moving jobs back here/he failed to do what he said/etc. if things keep moving the way they're moving with the auto/electronics manufacturers signalling that they'll be investing in the US, specifically in a lot of rust belt areas. Just from staying up to date on how companies are investing and positioning themselves, there seems to be a changing tide.

I guess they could always just not give Trump any credit. But that's not going to win anyone over.

Strange place to be in.

I wonder what Dems are going to counter Trump's pro-america trade/economic policies with in 4 years. Or even 2.

It's going to be hard to argue that companies aren't moving jobs back here/he failed to do what he said/etc. if things keep moving the way they're moving with the auto/electronics manufacturers signalling that they'll be investing in the US, specifically in a lot of rust belt areas. Just from staying up to date on how companies are investing and positioning themselves, there seems to be a changing tide.

I guess they could always just not give Trump any credit. But that's not going to win anyone over.

Strange place to be in.

"How are Dems going to be able to do to counter Trump's anti-trade policies when they will probably lead to a meltdown of the international order when Trump will be willing to take credit for every random company that decides to make things in America."

>_>

mo60

"How are Dems going to be able to do to counter Trump's anti-trade policies when they will probably lead to a meltdown of the international order when Trump will be willing to take credit for every random company that decides to make things in America."

>_>

Trump can literally brag about what x company is going to make in America now, but if people aren't really affected by it and he's helping people then they may turn against him.

A lot of Latin American countries have a lot of debt in American dollars and tariffs would massively reduce the amount of American dollars that these countries would have access to, leading to potential devastating financial crises around the world that would affect America.

Tariffs would also escalate the potential of conflict between America and China and escalate the possibility that Mexico ends the drug war, allowing heroin to flow into the United States at a much greater rate.

And, if the tariffs work, Trump's base, old people, will suffer greatly.

I just have no idea how the Dems will be able to counter these anti-trade policies.

Trump couldn't let this old man announce?
Yep. Here's the closest details I could find
GREENE: President to president to president for six decades actually. A Nixon inaugural was especially memorable. At one point, the president waded on to Pennsylvania Avenue and word got out that he was signing autographs.

BROTMAN: And we're talking about thousands and thousands of people, and they would have crushed the president.

GREENE: The announcer quickly ad libbed.

BROTMAN: Ladies and gentlemen, the parade is over.

MARTIN: (Laughter) Brotman has memories of president after president, Republicans and Democrats, but this year, Brotman, now 89 years old, got an email informing him his services would no longer be needed.

BROTMAN: I wish I could tell you why.

GREENE: Well, Steve Ray, a broadcaster and Trump supporter will replace him. When Brotman first got this news, he was hurt. He says he's now over it. The Trump team offered him a new title - announcer chairman emeritus - and also a prime seat at the event. He turned down that seat and will instead join Washington's local NBC station as their special inaugural commentator. And don't forget that NPR and reporters from stations around the country will be live on Friday reporting on that inauguration. Listen live and watch a live fact-check on the inaugural address at npr.org. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom