• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with the MN a la carte health insurance is that now patient's have to decide and understand what needs covering (pretty much everything on that list). Imagine a family saying no to addiction services and then someone gets addicted. The point of healthcare is for the doctor to help the patient understand their risks and not for the patient to predict which parts of coverage they won't need.

On doctors: automation is a big problem that many are ignoring in the field. Anesthesiology used to be a top tier residency due to QOL and pay but now anesthesia is moving toward nurses overseen by one anesthesiologist. In the same way, fancy deep learning (buzz word alert) things like Watson would still have to legally be overseen by a licensed doctor but could be a big time and human capital saver. A big reason US doctors are paid so much more is because of the residency cap AND how expensive/difficult med school is to do here. College + Med school + residency + fellowship adds up (and what if you are a masochist that adds a PhD in there too >_< ) whereas other places generally lump med school and college together (though asking 18 year olds if they really do want to become medical professionals doesn't always work out well).

In other news, when is Newt Gingrich gonna double NIH spending? It's his one weird policy preference that isn't god awful.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I wasn't joking when I said total GOP control will set our country back decades. It's happening now.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...amiss-flynn-russia-eavesdrop-official-n711226

Welp

And coincidentally Comey will be staying on as head of FBI.

Meh, I didn't expect much from the call. From the WashPo story:

Both Flynn, a former head of the Pentagon’s intelligence agency, and Kislyak, a seasoned diplomat, are probably aware that Kislyak’s phone calls and texts are being monitored, current and former officials said. That would make it highly unlikely, the individuals said, that the men would allow their calls to be conduits of illegal coordination.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This is a dumb plan. Not cause it may not get through, but because Dems shouldn't be doing anything to help make the economy look good under Trump.

Eh, I disagree. We need to see more of this. This gives ample evidence for, "Hey--look what we proposed that republicans shot down. We wanted to help you, and they wanted to help the rich." Democrats need to be doing this all the time and then messaging it effectively.

The GOP will do enough over 4 years themselves without the aid of democrats. I'm not suggesting we help them pass shitty legislation, but why should we let them stop us from putting forth good legislation? They ain't gonna sign it anyway.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/24/...column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

WASHINGTON — After seven years of fitful declines, the federal budget deficit is projected to begin swelling again this decade, adding $8.6 trillion to the federal debt over the next 10 years, according to projections from the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office that reveal the strain that the government’s debt will have on the economy as President Trump embarks on plans to slash taxes and ramp up spending.

Deficits only matter when a democrat is in power....

geomon

USDA Scientists Have Been Put On Lockdown Under Trump

The US Department of Agriculture has banned scientists and other employees in its main research division from publicly sharing everything from the summaries of scientific papers to USDA-branded tweets as it starts to adjust to life under the Trump administration, BuzzFeed News has learned.

According to an email sent Monday morning and obtained by BuzzFeed News, the department told staff — including some 2,000 scientists — at the agency’s main in-house research arm, the Agricultural Research Service (ARS), to stop communicating with the public about taxpayer-funded work.

“Starting immediately and until further notice, ARS will not release any public-facing documents,” Sharon Drumm, chief of staff for ARS, wrote in a department-wide email shared with BuzzFeed News.

“This includes, but is not limited to, news releases, photos, fact sheets, news feeds, and social media content,” she added.

What the fuck is this? These are taxpayer funded papers. We paid for this shit. So no news releases. Does this mean if there's a huge crop of rotten meat being sold they can't inform the public?

This Dakota pipeline situation is going to escalate

I'm not really sure Trump realizes, but he's going to have riots on his hands soon. Not peaceful protests, but full blown riots.

It's going to be deadly as well. He has no self control and will just send troops in to fire at will

Wilsongt

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) -- An Arkansas state treasury employee has resigned after facing backlash for his sexist and anti-LGBT posts on Facebook and Twitter.

Hunter Hatcher shared a live Facebook video of the Women's March for Arkansas Saturday. In the post, Hatcher said "if all these women are at the Capitol, who's making lunch?"

Hatcher has made other sexist claims on his social media accounts in the past. On January 1 he posted, "I love Subway cause I can tell a woman to make me a sandwich and she does it with a smile on her face. I wish all women has that Subway work ethic." He continued the post mocking the fight for equality, saying, "and equality? Don't get equal, get to cooking woman, get equal on your own time."

On President Trump's inauguration day, Hatcher tweeted "Y'all in Trump's America now! Time to flick that chip off your shoulder and quit being so offended. Gay jokes are back on ya bunch of homos!"

Idiot.

Plinko

Guys: This is the FIFTH DAY. 5. Look at everything being done, and we're only 5 days in. Our country is screwed. Seriously praying I can somehow get a job in New Zealand or Canada.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
What a dumb sentiment to have. Are we all at the point where we cut off our nose to spite our face?

YOU'RE a dumb sentiment to have! :mad:

This isn't cutting off our nose. I'm not advocating doing anything destructive like shutting down the government or holding the debt ceiling hostage. I'm just saying we don't need to go out on a limb to markedly improve the economy and thus improve Republican control of government for the next several elections. Let's just let things coast along as they're doing.

Guys: This is the FIFTH DAY. 5. Look at everything being done, and we're only 5 days in. Our country is screwed. Seriously praying I can somehow get a job in New Zealand or Canada.

Yeah I actually fail to see how this is even possible to keep up over the course of even half a year. Trump is inching the whole thing ever closer to complete chaos, and I've no idea how it's going to play out when something really crazy happens, like a spontaneous terror attack or rolling back serious civil rights or anything like that.

chadskin

C286wvWXcAIgmwb.jpg
/dead

(Also, very, um, generous perspective)

Yeah I actually fail to see how this is even possible to keep up over the course of even half a year. Trump is inching the whole thing ever closer to complete chaos, and I've no idea how it's going to play out when something really crazy happens, like a spontaneous terror attack or rolling back serious civil rights or anything like that.
A good time for a dictator to seize power would be during a time of serious social unrest

If there are constant riots all over the US, Trump could very easily make a huge power grab in order to "restore peace"

A good time for a dictator to seize power would be during a time of serious social unrest

If there are constant riots all over the US, Trump could very easily make a huge power grab in order to "restore peace"

If all it takes is a bad election year and a thin-skinned whiny baby for a president to turn America into a dictatorship, how can anyone have faith in our system of government?

If all it takes is a bad election year and a thin-skinned whiny baby for a president to turn America into a dictatorship, how can anyone have faith in our system of government?

Uhh, no one should have faith in our system of government.

But Trump is way too hated to seize power. He's like Maduro in that he's too much of an obvious fuckup to become popular by trying to "bring peace."

It's ironic the check to avoid a populist dictator taking over (the Electoral College) may have caused a populist dictator to take over.

Nobody should have faith in our system. The last decade has shown it completely falls apart under the stress of hyper partisan politics.

The problem with the MN a la carte health insurance is that now patient's have to decide and understand what needs covering (pretty much everything on that list). Imagine a family saying no to addiction services and then someone gets addicted. The point of healthcare is for the doctor to help the patient understand their risks and not for the patient to predict which parts of coverage they won't need.

On doctors: automation is a big problem that many are ignoring in the field. Anesthesiology used to be a top tier residency due to QOL and pay but now anesthesia is moving toward nurses overseen by one anesthesiologist. In the same way, fancy deep learning (buzz word alert) things like Watson would still have to legally be overseen by a licensed doctor but could be a big time and human capital saver. A big reason US doctors are paid so much more is because of the residency cap AND how expensive/difficult med school is to do here. College + Med school + residency + fellowship adds up (and what if you are a masochist that adds a PhD in there too >_< ) whereas other places generally lump med school and college together (though asking 18 year olds if they really do want to become medical professionals doesn't always work out well).

In other news, when is Newt Gingrich gonna double NIH spending? It's his one weird policy preference that isn't god awful.
Thanks for the info, healthcare policy is my passion and I appreciate the perspective you've given here!

Plinko

LOL Merkley supposedly brought out a pic showing the differences between Obama's and Trump's inauguration crowds at the Mulvaney hearing.

Classic troll maneuver.

Plinko

Sam Stein Verified account
&#8207;@samsteinhp

BREAK. HHS workers, too, have been told to cease communications with members of Congress, press. W/ @kate_sheppard

Dictatorship.

Liberal icon Kristen Gillibrand is the only person to vote against all of Trump's cabinet picks so far.

She's been reading my "Gillibrand would have won" posts obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom