• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Some people (easily fooled or dumb) thought Trump was more dovish than Clinton. We know this. So I don't think its unfair to say that helped Trump. Again the issue was that HE WAS LYING and if you listened to him for more than 2 minutes, it was obvious he had no idea what he was talking about regarding foreign policy. He still doesn't. If he gets us into another, real military conflict I do think that will actually put a big crack in his numbers.

Some people (easily fooled or dumb) thought Trump was more dovish than Clinton. We know this. So I don't think its unfair to say that helped Trump. Again the issue was that HE WAS LYING and if you listened to him for more than 2 minutes, it was obvious he had no idea what he was talking about regarding foreign policy. He still doesn't. If he gets us into another, real military conflict I do think that will actually put a big crack in his numbers.

"Hillary is a huge hawk" is still one of the distortions that pisses me off most from 2016. Mainly because it came from the left and the right, and as always, nuance be damned.

DD_FYVeVwAEDVWD.jpg

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org/stopme/chapter02.html
Your thoughts on this? This is very old, but I still agree 1000%

Sounds like every blame Democrats for the Republicans piece.

Clinton came after 12 years of Reagan and George HW Bush... Remember Clinton going into that election wasn't even supposed to win.

And the Democrat didn't immediately jump to Clinton.

First they of course ran Carter trying to get a second term.

Then they ran Mondale... yeah

And then Dukakis... Nope

It's a lot more complicated than Dems suck and that's why the GOP goes right

kirblar

No?

It says those who experienced loss during wars during Obama may have been swayed by Trump's message. You can't leave out the part where you consider Clinton's history and message on foreign policy (which was bad).
"If Wisconsin had a lower casualty rate, our model predicts Clinton would have won."
Our models suggest that—if there had been a lower casualty rate in each state—Trump would have lost all three.

Like, this is fucking really dumb. I can buy that the dumbass idiot left and alt-right narrative regarding Clinton as a "hawk" played a part. I don't buy that a reduction in casualties under Obama would have done jack shit to help w/ that.

PBY

Banned

Like, this is fucking really dumb. I can buy that the dumbass idiot left and alt-right narrative regarding Clinton as a "hawk" played a part. I don't buy that a reduction in casualties under Obama would have done jack shit to help w/ that.

Maybe not, I actually agree. But its just a model, and their model is really tuned to pick up the effects of these casualties. They don't provide a qualitative conclusion based on this, but simply are showing how their model plays out under different scenarios. I don't think there's any harm in trying to think about how Dem messaging about war and foreign policy can affect these lives.

Its one of the factors that ties into the Ds are an elite party that is out of touch. For the most part, it isn't their kids that are going to war.

kirblar

Maybe not, I actually agree. But its a mode, and their model is really tuned to pick up the effects of these casualties. They don't provide a qualitative conclusion based on this, but simply are showing how their model plays out under different scenarios. I don't think there's any harm in trying to think about how Dem messaging about war and foreign policy can affect these lives.

Its one of the factors that ties into the Ds are an elite party that is out of touch. For the most part, it isn't their kids that are going to war.
(because low income urban kids aren't being recruited)

You still don't understand the whole "elitism" thing. You can't fix this because it's about rural vs urban, it's about white supremacy vs multiculturalism. They will always portray you as "elite and out of touch" no matter what you do.

PBY

Banned
(because low income urban kids aren't signing up)

You still don't understand the whole "elitism" thing. You can't fix this because it's about rural vs urban, it's about white supremacy vs multiculturalism. They will always portray you as "elite and out of touch" no matter what you do.

Well, I agree there actually. That's my fundamental disagreement with the DSA generally (e.g., perceptions of race in this country, as well as sexism).

But yes, while you cannot fix this perception by trying to ameliorate issues in the socioeconomic rural/urban divide, you can definitely peel back some of the Obama/Trump voters.

That's all the party needs to do.

barber

So how does the part of Trump calling wars stupid help when he also picked up a fight with a Gold Star family and insulted prisoners of war? And a model that is fine tuned for only a point is the most useless thing ever.

PBY

Banned
So how does the part of Trump calling wars stupid help when he also picked up a fight with a Gold Star family and insulted prisoner of war?

I think people aren't rational or necessarily fully informed. I do think some people truly thought Trump was some new form of isolationist, populist.

I just want the Dems to come out STRONGLY anti-war, anti-interventionist. That's all you can control.

kirblar

Well, I agree there actually. That's my fundamental disagreement with the DSA generally (e.g., perceptions of race in this country, as well as sexism).

But yes, while you cannot fix this perception by trying to ameliorate issues in the socioeconomic rural/urban divide, you can definitely peel back some of the Obama/Trump voters.

That's all the party needs to do.
Sure, and the trick is that the margins were so thin that this actually isn't that difficult, especially now that Trump has actual history to run against. The people crying about an "unprecedented" defeat blatantly can't do math and have clearly not ever looked at the '80s in their history books. This was an election lost by a hair, and if you don't understand that and the reactionary nature of the US electorate, you're going to take all the wrong lessons away.

lol is "Hillary is a hawk" a radical lefty narrative now? She supports intervention at basically every single opportunity to do so, what war hasn't she supported? I guess she didn't want to invade Iran when Bush was president.

PBY

Banned
Sure, and the trick is that the margins were so thin that this actually isn't that difficult, especially now that Trump has actual history to run against. The people crying about an "unprecedented" defeat blatantly can't do math. This was an election lost by a hair, and if you don't understand that and the reactionary nature of the US electorate, you're going to take all the wrong lessons away.

Agree and disagree to some extent. Yes, the margins were tiny. However, the margins were tiny against fucking Donald Trump.

That says something to me, and that feels pretty unprecedented.

barber

I think people aren't rational or necessarily fully informed. I do think some people truly thought Trump was some new form of isolationist, populist.

I just want the Dems to come out STRONGLY anti-war, anti-interventionist. That's all you can control.

And then you will get the problem of 2012 when they get called weak and that the military is in disrepair! (which is another lol point from Trump).
And yeah, people bought that trump was a populist and that black people and immigrants are bad, that is the reality we live in.

I would also want an anti-war Dem, but it is kinda stupid that they blame that for the Dems loss when Trump pretty much said shit about the army and they still voted mainly red

Edit: I think it is also important to say that the economy was going ok, no huge crises on the horizon so part of the WWC would prefer to gamble on a old white rich boy than a spawn of satan women. Even more if the old white guy says you can have your cake and eat it!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Agree and disagree to some extent. Yes, the margins were tiny. However, the margins were tiny against fucking Donald Trump.

Bush II second term was precedent for this, where the country swung right - to the disbelief of Europe and the world - a war of his own making being the driver - Trump's rise was fueled by racism and reactionary populism. It's a different set of fuels but presses some of the same buttons.

Crocodile

lol is "Hillary is a hawk" a radical lefty narrative now? She supports intervention at basically every single opportunity to do so, what war hasn't she supported? I guess she didn't want to invade Iran when Bush was president.

• Hilary has a somewhat hawkish worldview/history = fine critique, no candidate is perfect. Also easier to say you are anti-interventionist than actually be it.
  • Hilary will start WW3 and thus you should vote for Trump, Jill Stein, sit out = FUCKING STUPID
It's a gross simplification. She's both advocated military force and diplomatic solutions at different times.

This too^

A non-zero amount of the blame lays with the Democrats (strategy of trying to flip Romney Republicans and separate Trump from GOP was bad)

HOWEVER, the electorate doesn't get to skate away scott free. Large swaths of America should have fucking known better. Also Media fucked up, etc.

It's a gross simplification. She's both advocated military force and diplomatic solutions at different times.

kirblar

The data says Trump was the most unpopular candidate in history no?
Who got elected after the 11th hour Comey letter crashed Clinton's numbers. (Yes, this wasn't the only thing and they shouldn't have been in that position, yada yada..)

If you view Trump as a fluke as the result of a perfect storm, then it's a very different set of actions you take next as opposed to Trump as "THE FUTURE OF THE COUNTRY IF WE DONT STOP IT"

Sabato thinks the Dem edge in the generic ballot (as of now) is enough to win the House majority in 2018.

http://www.centerforpolitics.org/cr...rly-advantage-in-battle-for-control-of-house/

AIA2017070601-table2.png

Right now according to 538's model Democrats have a lead of around 7 points, which would put us just shy of 30 there. However the margin of error is +/- 11.9 seats, so Sabato says it's about a two-thirds chance if Democrats have that high of a lead.

I would imagine when/if the AHCA passes, the edge would balloon a bit.

Because in the end many people treated him like any regular Republican candidate...

Because there's basically zero actual morality in the GOP

KingK

Hillary is hawkish compared to much of the rest of her party, and certainly is hawkish compared to actual democratic voters. The fact that Trump and republicans are worse does not absolve her of criticism or suddenly make her relatively hawkish nature some lolz-worthy, far left fiction. And just because someone criticizes Clinton or democrats doesn't mean they're some alt-right Trump supporter who didn't still vote for her.

The Felix Sater news delights me. We've speculated about Flynn/Manafort/Page flipping, but now we have confirmation that someone's submitted himself to investigators - not just any someone, but someone with ties to Russian dirty money.

"Follow the money" will always be relevant to any political investigation.

WMBT27

I know for him it was a throwaway line to avoid being definitive, but I'm curious to watch the reactions if Trump gets hammered on the assertion that "lots of people interfere" and "other countries" interefered in addition to Russia.

"Mr. President do you have intelligence that supports other countries interfered in the election as well as Russia? Which countries, in what manner?"

This could quietly be another "wiretapped me" situation where he spouts off about something he misunderstood or some spur of the moment nonsense to get out of making a statement and it turns into defenses and proposed actions because no one on his staff wants to admit that he just says whatever shit comes into his head to end a sentence without committing to anything.

Crocodile

Hillary is hawkish compared to much of the rest of her party, and certainly is hawkish compared to actual democratic voters. The fact that Trump and republicans are worse does not absolve her of criticism or suddenly make her relatively hawkish nature some lolz-worthy, far left fiction. And just because someone criticizes Clinton or democrats doesn't mean they're some alt-right Trump supporter who didn't still vote for her.

Again:

• Hilary has a somewhat hawkish worldview/history = fine critique, no candidate is perfect. Also easier to say you are anti-interventionist than actually be it.
  • Hilary will start WW3 and thus you should vote for Trump, Jill Stein, sit out = FUCKING STUPID
Lots of people did the latter. Those people are dumb as bricks.

I think being overly hawkish is a fair criticism of Clinton. It played a large role in my decision to vote for Obama in the 2008 primary. Particularly given that opposition to the Iraq War had been a major factor in Dems gaining Congress in 2006, it seemed like a bad idea to me to nominate someone who had voted for the war.

Now, left-wing voters who thought that a Trump presidency would mean a more dovish foreign policy are idiots, but that doesn't absolve Clinton or mean her foreign policy views weren't a real problem for her campaign.

The Felix Sater news delights me. We've speculated about Flynn/Manafort/Page flipping, but now we have confirmation that someone's submitted himself to investigators - not just any someone, but someone with ties to Russian dirty money.

Yeah it was my good morning news to wake up to as well.

My statement was "huge hawk."

Clinton is more hawkish than the party at large, but she was regularly called more hawkish than anyone of the GOP candidates, which is nonsense. They virtually all ran on re-igniting tensions with Iran. Hillary was instrumental in implementing the diplomatic solution we have now with Iran. At no time did she ever advocate force as a solution there, as McCain and Romney did.

However, people like binary answers and dislike context (such as that for her 2003 vote for war in Iraq), so "Hillary is a Hawk" was repeated over and over.

teiresias

Even if it makes it harder for us to win the House, I'd still rather not have this happen.

I'm not sure it makes that much difference whether it passes. The House has a vote on record on that bill, and if a bill doesn't even make it out of the Senate than the House Yays won't even have a "better" or "less bad" bill to point to them having voted for later as a worthless mea culpa. I mean, the attacks write themselves at this point whether legislation is enacted or not.

I'm not sure it makes that much difference whether it passes. The House has a vote on record on that bill, and if a bill doesn't even make it out of the Senate than the House Yays won't even have a "better" or "less bad" bill to point to them having voted for later as a worthless mea culpa. I mean, the attacks write themselves at this point whether legislation is enacted or not.
If rural hospitals start closing due to Medicaid cuts, then I think the impact could be huge.

Context doesn't really help any of the Democratic Senators that voted for the Iraq War, it just turns the narrative towards their political opportunism and how they voted to enable a war because they thought doing otherwise would harm their future political ambitions. There's actually some karmic justice in how that blew up against them.

Stinkles

Context doesn't really help any of the Democratic Senators that voted for the Iraq War, it just turns the narrative towards their political opportunism and how they voted to enable a war because they thought doing otherwise would harm their future political ambitions. There's actually some karmic justice in how that blew up against them.

Problematically we use team mentality instead of throwing them out on their asses: 'Everyone was doing it. The political cost was too high." etc.

Including me. I gave the dems a "pass" because there was no alternative. But they mostly voted for that nonsense too and helped absolutely ruin the middle east for decades to come.

Teggy

Taylor Kuykendall @taykuy

DOE Rick Perry at coal plant:"Here’s a little economics lesson: supply and demand. You put the supply out there and the demand will follow."
12:24 PM · Jul 6, 2017

Palm through face

Stinkles

Dude has squealed before too. And is kind of a monster.

In 1991, Sater got into an argument with a commodities broker at the El Rio Grande restaurant and bar in Midtown. He stabbed the man's cheek and neck with the stem of a margarita glass, breaking his jaw, lacerating his face, and severing nerves.[11][2] Sater was convicted of first degree assault in 1993 and served a year in prison.[3][12] This resulted in Sater being barred from selling securities on the National Association of Securities Dealers (now called the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority).[2]
In 1998, Sater was convicted of fraud in connection to a $40 million penny stock pump and dump scheme through his employer, White Rock Partners. In return for a guilty plea, Sater agreed to assist the FBI and federal prosecutors as an informant in organized crime. In 2009, he was sentenced to pay a $25,000 fine and served no prison time. As a result of his assistance, Sater's court records were sealed for 10 years by Loretta Lynch, then the United States Attorney for the Eastern District of New York. Lynch's decision to seal his records was discussed at her 2015 Congressional confirmation hearings to become attorney general; she stated that Sater provided "information crucial to national security and the conviction of over 20 individuals, including those responsible for committing massive financial fraud and members of La Cosa Nostra."[13][14][15][16]

kirblar

The fundamental issue w/ Clinton is that she shouldn't have still been running for President in '16 because of those time-baggage effects where an entire generation grows up without context for earlier decisions.

This won't be a problem w/ whoever the candidate is in '20 (assuming it's not one of the dinosaurs from '08/'16, which it shouldn't be.)

Teggy

I mean, I guess he could have said, "you put the supply out there, and then you lower the price to the point where the supply and demand curves intersect, and the demand will follow." Maybe he skipped a line in his speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom