• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Great. Wonderful. Fantastic.

I get why people are doing this (it has to SUCK working in this sort of environment) but all these potential whistle-blowers leaving their posts empty (or replaced with Trump toadies) doesn't fill me with hope.

There is a lot of anti-corruption shit we have to codify into law when Trump leaves office.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
DEESvWSXUAM_E05.jpg

Woah.

I accidentally have CNN in background (getting car oil changed), and I can see why so many people on both sides hate it.

First of all (and that applies to every network) why can't they cover more than one thing. I'm literally sick of hearing about Trump trip and I learned almost nothing!

Second of all why are they nitpicking what Trump said? He clearly has no idea what he is saying. Of course he contradicted himself in the same SENTENCE! Just because CNN keeps repeating what that idiot keeps saying doesn't mean that they can call themselves news.

I mean as much as I hate Trump, there's a lot to talk about that he said but isn't necessarily about him, but is about US policy. He keeps implying that now he realizes that Russia is doing shady shit, well you can talk about US policy w/respect to Ukraine, etc.

I seriously blame CNN for Trump more than I blame Fox News. CNN fueled this monster and Fox is just being Fox.

I accidentally have CNN in background (getting car oil changed), and I can see why so many people on both sides hate it.

First of all (and that applies to every network) why can't they cover more than one thing. I'm literally sick of hearing about Trump trip and I learned almost nothing!

Second of all why are they nitpicking what Trump said? He clearly has no idea what he is saying. Of course he contradicted himself in the same SENTENCE! Just because CNN keeps repeating what that idiot keeps saying doesn't mean that they can call themselves news.

I mean as much as I hate Trump, there's a lot to talk about that he said but isn't necessarily about him, but is about US policy. He keeps implying that now he realizes that Russia is doing shady shit, well you can talk about US policy w/respect to Ukraine, etc.

I seriously blame CNN for Trump more than I blame Fox News. CNN fueled this monster and Fox is just being Fox.

Can't deny the last part. CNN went so hard in on Clinton when the Comey email thing happened, all because they kept wanting to push for that horse race narrative. Well you got your fucking horse race CNN, thanks for that.

Ogodei

Palm through face

Republican economists actually believe that. It's called Say's Law and was the basis for economic thought until Keynes came along.

Although Say's Law is a bit more complex than that: it says that it's impossible for there to be a supply-demand mismatch, because prices will always move to equilibrium whereby the market keeps moving. Needless to say it ignores a lot about economics.

I guess people can still get infections while on anti biotics?

My grandma was in the ICU a few years ago with serious blood sepsis, and towards the end, before she went home, they were concerned she may have had a bladder infection (she didn't), so it's possible, I guess.

She was on the nuclear bomb equivalent of antibiotics and was still at a risk for an infection in an unrelated area.

Teggy

This government is running on a skeleton crew. I don't know if quitting is the right option over fighting, but maybe there was nothing he could do.

Trump tweeting about how the west's "WILL" will never be broken and how we will "TRIUMPH". Him and Bannon must be giggling themselves to death.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I guess people can still get infections while on anti biotics?

Of course you can.

Even ignoring the spread of antibiotic resistant bacteria, different antibiotics have different mechanisms and different bio-availability in different parts of the body as well as different natural spectrums of coverage.

Problematically we use team mentality instead of throwing them out on their asses: 'Everyone was doing it. The political cost was too high." etc.

Including me. I gave the dems a "pass" because there was no alternative. But they mostly voted for that nonsense too and helped absolutely ruin the middle east for decades to come.

Context matters. Bush had Powell straight-up lie that there was evidence of WMDs.

And voting them out on their assess would have led to no ACA.

You can say you want to start over with more pure candidates, but then you have to suffer the trough first. And then they have to get elected.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
This is partially true, but regular people using antibacterial soaps (now illegal, thankfully) and failure to take antibiotics to completion are arguably bigger issues for the public-at-large.

Not all of them. Dial switched to benzethonium chloride.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
wikipedia said:
In September 2016, the Food and Drug Administration issued a ban on nineteen consumer antiseptic wash ingredients. A ruling on benzethonium chloride, along with two other similar ingredients, was deferred for a year to allow for more data collection.

With Trump, who the fuck knows now...

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Context matters. Bush had Powell straight-up lie that there was evidence of WMDs.

And voting them out on their assess would have led to no ACA.

You can say you want to start over with more pure candidates, but then you have to suffer the trough first. And then they have to get elected.

The dems knew it was a lie. Everyone did. But the calculation was "we can pretend to believe, or pretend we're scared in case we're wrong, to eliminate risk and maintain poll numbers"

They didn't seriously believe any of the WMD or yellowcake bullshit. And I did what most dem voters did and shrugged and said, they didn't have much choice. Which was true but depressing.

The dems knew it was a lie. Everyone did. But the calculation was "we can pretend to believe, or pretend we're scared in case we're wrong, to eliminate risk and maintain poll numbers"

They didn't seriously believe any of the WMD or yellowcake bullshit. And I did what most dem voters did and shrugged and said, they didn't have much choice. Which was true but depressing.

There were absolutely people who believed it. Hell, I have one older friend who was in his late 30s at the time who believed it very possible that the US knew about it because they'd made it possible with Reagan's Iran-Iraq double-dealing in the 1980s, either covertly diverting materials or looking the other way.

There were absolutely people who believed it. Hell, I have one older friend who was in his late 30s at the time who believed it very possible that the US knew about it because they'd made it possible with Reagan's Iran-Iraq double-dealing in the 1980s, either covertly diverting materials or looking the other way.
Same here. I knew liberals who read that Ken Pollack book The Threatening Storm and bought it. Even on the left I think most people were surprised Saddam had so little in terms of WMD production. I expected they would find *something* to trump up and I didn't really think Bush would 100% lie about WMDs. I remember feeling sure that any president who did something that transparently wrong would be thrown out by the voters -- especially in the age of the Internet and 24-hour cable news, when there's nowhere to hide from the truth! Ah, to be young again.

One of my least favorite genre of headlines is: "If Trump keeps denying Russian interference, what is he going to do about 2018/2020 elections?" As if the answer wasn't obvious to both the writer and the readers, but because no Hard Proof™, they must preserve the air of plausible deniability and not make themselves too Partisan. (The hardest of Hard Proof is only necessary when accusing Republicans, of course.)

Context matters. Bush had Powell straight-up lie that there was evidence of WMDs..

It was known that it was a lie at the time by anyone informed. There was no evidence of Iraq having WMDs and it was plain that the administration could not prove it. This is not context, it's revisionist history.

Same here. I knew liberals who read that Ken Pollack book The Threatening Storm and bought it. Even on the left I think most people were surprised Saddam had so little in terms of WMD production. I expected they would find *something* to trump up and I didn't really think Bush would 100% lie about WMDs. I remember feeling sure that any president who did something that transparently wrong would be thrown out by the voters -- especially in the age of the Internet and 24-hour cable news, when there's nowhere to hide from the truth! Ah, to be young again.

Yeah, Saddam being SUCH a paper tiger was I think pretty surprising to most people familiar with the region, considering he'd gassed Kurds back in the 90s.

It was known that it was a lie at the time by anyone informed. There was no evidence of Iraq having WMDs and it was plain that the administration could not prove it. This is not context, it's revisionist history.

I thought it was a lie, but then I didn't have Colin Powell present evidence to me either.

Maddox said:
Trying to explain this news cycle to a resurrected founding father: "Well, there was this guy who pretended to fight a war in space for a movie (a movie is a picture that moves). His name was Han Solo. So there's this other guy who thought that the alliteration of 'HanAssholo' would be funny, but that name was probably taken, so he went with 'Han Asshole Solo' and then he created another moving image of two people wrestling, but depicted one as an entire news organization by replacing his head with the logo being clothes-lined by the sitting president of the United States, because this is something that actually happened in the past. But he was also pretending. Some people found that offensive. So that's the news."

chadskin

There will likely only be six people in the room when President Trump meets President Putin on Friday at the sidelines of the G-20 meeting in Hamburg, Germany.

According to an official familiar with the meeting's planning, it will be Trump, Putin, the Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, the Russian foreign minister Sergey Lavrov, and translators.
https://www.axios.com/coming-attractions-trump-putin-meeting-2454467032.html

That's ... rather unusual. Not even McMaster?

G20 protests are a given every time, I know, but I haven't seen any "fuck Trump" signs, so meh, hardly worth the attention. Why can't police in the US use water cannons instead of tear gas? They're... extremely effective! Municipal police departments have massive armored vehicles of many types designed for war, yet we can't put a water tank in them? Nonsense.
Why is the secret service just letting him wander around like an idiot?
What the crap are they doing? lol

Yeah, Saddam being SUCH a paper tiger was I think pretty surprising to most people familiar with the region, considering he'd gassed Kurds back in the 90s.
In the 1999 movie Three Kings, Iraqi troops hit George Clooney, Ice Cube, and
Mark Wahlburg with mustard gas, so I assumed they would find stuff like nerve gas and mustard gas. The idea that Saddam would have WMDs didn't really seem like something Bush would need to lie over. In Al Gore's big anti war speech in 2002, his position was that Iraq did have WMDs but that they hadn't shared them with other countries and weren't really a danger to us. And Gore was just about the most liberal voice of any significance at the time. No one to the left of him got any airtime or attention, really.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
G20 protests are a given every time, I know, but I haven't seen any "fuck Trump" signs, so meh, hardly worth the attention. Why can't police in the US use water cannons instead of tear gas? They're... extremely effective! Municipal police departments have massive armored vehicles of many types designed for war, yet we can't put a water tank in them? Nonsense.

Probably too big a reminder visually of the Civil Rights protests back in the day. They used hoses and stuff back then, so they probably don't want to evoke the imagery. I'm not saying this is good, I'm just saying it might be part of the thought process.

What the crap are they doing? lol
Cost effectiveness and also it stirs up.... bad memories.

Fire-hose.jpg

EDIT: DUBS WITH THE SNIPE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom