• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hopfrog

Yeah, Hillary '08 is a really interesting "what if" because she has a lot of very different upsides/downsides than Obama did. Does she just nuke the fillibuster because we never get to a supermajority?

(there's like 0 chance there's no direct collusion if you're going to RT state dinners.)

I didn't want to jump right to the collusion conclusion, but yeah, considering that people asserting collusion between Trump and Russia were called paranoid conspiracy theorists a year ago, maybe it is not that crazy.

Hopfrog

How about this plot twist: Mueller comes out with his findings a year from now and the actual collusion with Russia was not with Trump but with....Jill Stein.

Too far-fetched for a network audience?

Hopfrog

Taken from Matt Yglesias's Twitter feed:

DGACy7-UIAUUnjS.jpg

Just look at this collection of winners.

kess

A tale of three Northeastern Pennsylvania counties

Lackawanna (Scranton, Carbondale)

QkI5lYc.png

Luzerne (Wilkes-Barre, Hazleton, Pittston)

ylwGsYB.png

Carbon (Jim Thorpe, Palmerton, Lehighton)

ca2Bw9F.png

Gallup has noted that Trump's approval has slipped substantially in Luzerne but in Carbon his support has remained quite strong. The congressional delegation in this region is split between the rabidly anti-immigrant Lou Barletta and Matt Cartwright. It should be noted that Carbon county has no towns above 6,000 people and local authority is exercised through a number of large townships.

A tale of three Northeastern Pennsylvania counties

Lackawanna (Scranton, Carbondale)

QkI5lYc.png

Luzerne (Wilkes-Barre, Hazleton, Pittston)

ylwGsYB.png

Carbon (Jim Thorpe, Palmerton, Lehighton)

ca2Bw9F.png

Gallup has noted that Trump's approval has slipped substantially in Luzerne but in Carbon his support has remained quite strong. The congressional delegation in this region is split between the rabidly anti-immigrant Lou Barletta and Matt Cartwright. It should be noted that Carbon county has no towns above 6,000 people and local authority is exercised through a number of large townships.
is there a new poll somewhere?

kess

is there a new poll somewhere?

July 16th
In the Trump "surge counties" (for example: Carbon, Pa., where Trump won 65 percent to 31 percent, versus Romney's 53-45 percent margin) — 56 percent of residents approve of the president's job performance.

But in the "flip counties" (for example: Luzerne, Pa., where Obama won 52 percent to 47 percent, compared to Trump's 58-39 margin), Trump's job rating stands at just 44 percent.

I expect that a lot of ancestorally Dem counties will eventually return closer to their norm, but a lot of these "surge" counties will stay that way, basically making these states very competitive for the future.

Barzul

outreaches the blacks

Well I haven't heard anything from her, so she's doing a shit job lol. But seriously I see her come out in like every press briefing and seat on those chairs where the Press Secs team sits at, but I legit have zero clues to her actual function.

She's probably just the black friend of the Trump admin.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
My question is, is there any set of circumstances where the Russians would admit to collusion / release kompromat on Trump (assuming either exists).
Like at what point does any theoretical leverage over trump not outweigh the advantage of the purely destabilizing effect of such information.

Yup.

Also if it's a good night for Dems I bet we win a weird seat like Nancy Boyda gay icon.
"It was close, but Democrats beating Steve King (while winning no other seats in Iowa) after that Ukrainian hooker scandal ultimately delivered them to 218"

That comment about Trump putting healthcare before everything else amuses me. What if he refuses to sign an increase to the debt ceiling? Or a budget past September? I imagine Congress would just override at that point.

Lol the sanctions killing our relationship with Russia.

Ogodei

I expect that a lot of ancestorally Dem counties will eventually return closer to their norm, but a lot of these "surge" counties will stay that way, basically making these states very competitive for the future.

The surge counties will only surge if someone who speaks their language is out there.

Daria

My question is, is there any set of circumstances where the Russians would admit to collusion / release kompromat on Trump (assuming either exists).
Like at what point does any theoretical leverage over trump not outweigh the advantage of the purely destabilizing effect of such information.

why would Putin go to bat for Trump and put himself in the line of fire by admitting to collusion? Trump will ruin his own game

You'd think he'd realize that if he threatens to veto a budget, Ryan would be forced to give Pelosi and the Democrats a substantial amount of concessions in negotiations to achieve a veto-proof majority.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
why would Putin go to bat for Trump and put himself in the line of fire by admitting to collusion? Trump will ruin his own game
I don't see how completely undermining any remaining shred of the legitimacy of his administration is "going to bat for him".

You forgot his caption "Derp State"

Edit who's in this? Gorka, Omarosa, the mooch and...

I'm not familiar with Omarosa (something to do with The Apprentice...?) so I check her out on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omarosa_Manigault

TV Guide included her in their 2013 list of The 60 Nastiest TV Villains of All Time.

Stemming from her controversial, blindsiding, alienating, and acrimonious tactics of game play on The Apprentice (particularly in its boardroom segments), she soon became the "woman America loved to hate" and was named by E! as reality TV's number one bad girl.

Okaaayyy...I guess she fits right in with this bunch.

You'd think he'd realize that if he threatens to veto a budget, Ryan would be forced to give Pelosi and the Democrats a substantial amount of concessions in negotiations to achieve a veto-proof majority.
I suspect a lot of the more establishment-aligned Republicans would probably vote No against a budget to score some easy points with the far right, but vote to override if Trump is stupid enough to veto.

Hopfrog

My only hope that he would not torpedo a debt ceiling increase is that someone will explain how that would hurt his investments along with everyone else. But who knows, he might say YOLO and fuck it.

I suspect a lot of the more establishment-aligned Republicans would probably vote No against a budget to score some easy points with the far right, but vote to override if Trump is stupid enough to veto.

And even if every Republican voted to override the veto, they'd still need over 70 Democratic votes. And since the Freedom Caucus will continue to be intransigent assholes no matter what, they'd probably need closer to 90 or 100 Democratic votes to get to 290.

My only hope that he would not torpedo a debt ceiling increase is that someone will explain how that would hurt his investments along with everyone else. But who knows, he might say YOLO and fuck it.
Trump: "Joke's on you, I'm poor as FUCK!"

Advisor: "What?"

Trump: "NOTHING MAGA"

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Trump will definitely try to "shut the government down" down the line. He wants to feel in control.

I don't see how completely undermining any remaining shred of the legitimacy of his administration is "going to bat for him".

I don't know. Admitting to it would be good for Destabilization® of public trust, but a theoretical replacement administration could actually become vaguely competent at negotiating with allies/enemies, and they don't want that.

Ogodei

If Trump botches the debt ceiling you'll suddenly see a lot more GOP congressfolks concerned about Russian collusion, because a debt ceiling default would be catastrophic for the billionaire class first and foremost (ruinous for everyone invested in the stock market, which starts with the wealthy along with the untold damage it would do to private retirement funds).

If Trump botches the debt ceiling you'll suddenly see a lot more GOP congressfolks concerned about Russian collusion, because a debt ceiling default would be catastrophic for the billionaire class first and foremost (ruinous for everyone invested in the stock market, which starts with the wealthy along with the untold damage it would do to private retirement funds).

Seems like a good time to use as a distraction to undermine more things

Sadsic

what is the general credibility of Fusion GPS at this point? In the Bill Browder testimony, he points to them as being the source of american lobbyists against the Magnitsky act, while at the same time, they are the ones who helped compile the Trump Dossier over the last year. why would they be doing something both pro and anti-Russian at the same time? does this mean any thing or is it white noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom