• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/31/politics/kelly-comey-phone-call-angry/index.html

EXCLUSIVE: Kelly called Comey to express anger over firing, sources say

New White House chief of staff John Kelly was so upset with how President Donald Trump handled the firing of FBI Director James Comey that Kelly called Comey afterward and said he was considering resigning, according to two sources familiar with a conversation between Kelly and Comey.

Both sources cautioned that it was unclear how serious Kelly, then the secretary of homeland security, was about resigning himself.
"John was angry and hurt by what he saw and the way (Comey) was treated," one of the sources said.

Over/under is a month.

Mikef2000

That was what, 1 week? What day did he start?

Kelly off to a good start.

He sure is. I'm calling it now. Kelly will be out of favor with Trump before August is finished.

The first article that says that the White House is finally operating properly and they credit Kelly for that, it will be the beggining of the end for Kelly. Trump can't handle anyone but him getting credit for something good.

kirblar

New White House chief of staff John Kelly was so upset with how President Donald Trump handled the firing of FBI Director James Comey that Kelly called Comey afterward and said he was considering resigning, according to two sources familiar with a conversation between Kelly and Comey.

Both sources cautioned that it was unclear how serious Kelly, then the secretary of homeland security, was about resigning himself.
"John was angry and hurt by what he saw and the way (Comey) was treated," one of the sources said.
LOLOLOLOLOL

I wonder who leaked this?

jtb

Banned

Now this is complete bullshit. Reeks of planted leak to construct idea of Kelly as 'independent, serious check on Trump' (a la McMaster "serious man in the room"). It only matters if you, you know, actually resigned.

Of course, Trump is too stupid to realize that he actually stands to gain from dumb stories like this but whatever.

That is the concern, but he'll only be "moderating" up until the first time he crosses Trump on something, then he'll get put in the Sessions/McMaster/Bannon doghouse.

Well he apparently did consider resigning in solidarity with Comey, not sure how that will pan out. As we've seen with other "normal" high-ranking officials, staying and giving cover to the WH mob is a misplaced interpretation of duty.

kirblar

Now this is complete bullshit. Reeks of planted leak to construct idea of Kelly as 'independent, serious check on Trump' (a la McMaster "serious man in the room"). It only matters if you, you know, actually resigned.

Of course, Trump is too stupid to realize that he actually stands to gain from dumb stories like this but whatever.
I think it's planned, but this undermines Kelly with Trump. Someone's out for blood.

I tend to think this had less to do with Kelly and more to do with Mooch offending evangelicals with his language and accent. Anectodal, but the Trumpkins on my FB feed were not impressed with the guy.

jtb

Banned
I think it's planned, but this undermines Kelly with Trump. Someone's out for blood.

Definitely possible. But, idk, I still read it more as Kelly (who know's he's getting into a clusterfuck without a parachute) is doing damage control before he starts, trying to play both sides. Every story after he took the job noted that literally everybody told him not to take the job. Kelly's not stupid enough to think that he's actually going to be a permanent fixture in the Trump white house as COS...

is he?

giphy.gif

They're not being jettisoned.

Immediately following the election, BLM changed gears entirely to focus primarily on local organization and behind the scenes advocacy instead of using protest as a primary strategy. Trying to figure out a way to continue advocacy and progress without accidentally energizing a hornet's nest of white nationalists that make up the modern GOP base is the needle everyone on the left is having to thread right now. The Dems as a party are changing messaging, not their core values.

The issue is with populist swing voters (there are a lot more of them then there are libertarians) and their problematic behavior and views that we have to tiptoe around.

I just think in general if we gravitate towards the sort of direction that is more so willing to implement anti-choice, dixiecrat like strategies for different groups of candidates it just further harms the image with the base.

To me it just seems like minority voters are incredibly wary and distrustful of the party in general and that they don't actually plan on doing what they say they will do in order to help them. They just want the votes. Like just the other day the party released their 2018 plans and it really wasn't mentioned in their what issues they care about as being party of it. Yeah, BLM moved away from protesting but I don't see how that implies it's a good idea for democratic candidates to dodge or sidestep issues they want to hear about because I don't think those are remotely similar. I think the entire point would be to get political candidates to discuss these things because that's not the same as marching in the streets protesting.

We can't just rely on nominating young black superstar candidates to paper over the cracks and whatever issues the party has with properly bringing people into the fold and keep turnout on the levels we need. I don't think that is any sort of workable strategy, because it isn't like we have a plethora of candidates like that on the bench

kirblar

I just think in general if we gravitate towards the sort of direction that is more so willing to implement anti-choice, dixiecrat like strategies for different groups of candidates it just further harms the image with the base.

To me it just seems like minority voters are incredibly wary and distrustful of the party in general and that they don't actually plan on doing what they say they will do in order to help them. They just want the votes. Like just the other day the party released their 2018 plans and it really wasn't mentioned in their what issues they care about as being party of it. Yeah, BLM moved away from protesting but I don't see how that implies it's a good idea for democratic candidates to dodge or sidestep issues they want to hear about because I don't think those are remotely similar. I think the entire point would be to get political candidates to discuss these things because that's not the same as marching in the streets protesting.

We can't just rely on nominating young black superstar candidates to paper over the cracks and whatever issues the party has with properly bringing people into the fold and keep turnout on the levels we need. I don't think that is any sort of workable strategy, because it isn't like we have a plethora of candidates like that on the bench
You just focus on nominating young candidates without baggage, period.

People with light records are easier to get people rallying around.

Honestly, turning the administration into a c-grade reality show seems to have done a better job taking the heat off the Russia questions than bombing/tappping/infrastructure/orb-fondling. That is to say, their best tactic is to make themselves look bad in different ways.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Honestly, turning the administration into a c-grade reality show seems to have done a better job taking the heat off the Russia questions than bombing/tappping/infrastructure/orb-fondling. That is to say, their best tactic is to make themselves look bad in different ways.

It's a Trump Trademark.

If Trump is distracted by his own circus, Mueller can do his work in peace and pick up the scraps Trump leaves behind. Mooch now has no reason to play nice with anyone else.

Matthew Nussbaum‏Verified account @MatthewNussbaum 6m6 minutes ago
More
Spicer emerged from his office, promised a statement soon. Didn't answer Qs about his future.

Josh Dawsey‏Verified account @jdawsey1 11m11 minutes ago
More
White House aide says Kelly couldn't believe Scaramucci stayed in job after New Yorker interview.

Huh

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Senate Finance Committee Chairman Orrin Hatch said on Monday that senators for now are too divided to keep working on healthcare overhaul legislation and that he and other senior Republicans will take that message to the White House.

President Donald Trump has been urging lawmakers not to drop the matter, despite a series of failed votes last week. "There's just too much animosity and we're too divided on healthcare," Hatch said in an interview with Reuters.

He said he would prefer Congress not appropriate cost-sharing subsidies that help make Obamacare plans affordable, but added, "I think we’re going to have to do that."

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...=topNews&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

Ogodei

Not vulgarity!

There's literally a tape of Trump bragging about sexual assault and grabbing women by the pussy. That's not vulgar I guess?

That Trump used the word "pussy" was more distressing about that tape to conservatives than the content of what he was actually talking about. Hence how the "locker room talk" angle took hold. Sell the base on the fact that he didn't mean to say that in public and there you go, no issues.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Senate Finance Committee Chairman Orrin Hatch said on Monday that senators for now are too divided to keep working on healthcare overhaul legislation and that he and other senior Republicans will take that message to the White House.

President Donald Trump has been urging lawmakers not to drop the matter, despite a series of failed votes last week. "There's just too much animosity and we're too divided on healthcare," Hatch said in an interview with Reuters.

He said he would prefer Congress not appropriate cost-sharing subsidies that help make Obamacare plans affordable, but added, "I think we’re going to have to do that."

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...=topNews&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social
What a beautiful Monday it is.

calder

Fuck me that's funny.

I mean, sorry you seem to be trying to actually destroy your country from within America, but take some small solace from the fact you are entertaining the shit out of the rest of us on social media at least?

Mac_Lane

Good. They're finally starting to act reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom