• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
The scary thing is that Sandoval could easily run in 2018 sans baggage. He's already term-limited.

I'm already convinced this is happening, wave or no wave.

In Leaked Remarks To Interns, Kushner Brags Of No Leaks On Middle East Talks

Senior White House adviser Jared Kushner on Monday bragged that no details of the White House’s negotiations in the Middle East have been leaked, in a talk to congressional interns which itself was immediately leaked to the press.

“Nothing’s leaked out, right?” Kushner told congressional interns, according to audio of his talk that Wired obtained. “Nothing has leaked out, which I think gives the parties more trust and more ability to really express and share their viewpoints.”

Before his remarks, deputy staff director of member services, outreach and communications Katie Patru told interns that recording Kushner’s off-the-record remarks would be a “breach of trust,” according to Wired.
“I think you need to be able to probe people in private for them to have confidence that it’s not going to be used against them and that it’s not going to leak out in the press, which would be very, very hurtful,” he said. “But I think we were able to keep things quiet.”

jtb

Banned
While I'd prefer a Democrat, Sandoval would be an upgrade from Heller.

I'll believe it when I see it. Running a state is very different from being sent to Washington - as evidenced by the GOP governors who are sane precisely because they aren't beholden to their caucus/fundraising/etc.

If he goes to the Senate, I don't see any reason to believe he won't just vote like Heller would have.

Worst of all, he's a ~brand~. Can easily see him mustering a 'I'm an independent voice going to Washington' persona to win the seat

Ernest

Banned
Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
Only the Fake News Media and Trump enemies want me to stop using Social Media (110 million people). Only way for me to get the truth out!
9:55 AM · Aug 1, 2017

(he only has 34 million followers)

(Obama had 92 million)
Does Trump seriously think that people follow him on social media because they like and agree with him?
Almost all of his harshest critics follow him on twitter/facebook.

Blader

While I'd prefer a Democrat, Sandoval would be an upgrade from Heller.

Yeah, a Senator Sandoval would not be a terrible thing, relative to every other Senate Republican, but it would be a shame to: a) lose a Senate race in a (hopefully) wave year in a state that Hillary won and is trending more and more blue; and b) have Jacky Rosen relinquish her House seat for nothing.

jtb

Banned
There are no moderate GOP senators. No reason to believe we'll be seeing any new ones anytime soon, imo

No way on earth Sandoval votes any better than Heller. GOP governors skew more moderate than their Senators because they're subject to different sets of pressure. Stick any of 'em in the Senate and they'd act like their Senators.

GOP politicians can't be viewed as individuals, just permutations of the same traits under different conditions. There's a handful of exceptions (Collins, Murkowski), but even they're mostly about being able to defy those conditions more than anything else. Those two still vote along party lines >80% of the time.

jtb

Banned
I think we'll also see Flake and Sasse mount primary challenges in 2020, particularly if Trump continues his downward spiral into chaos - a pretty safe bet. It's 2017. You don't write a book unless you're running for President in 2020.

Blader

No way on earth Sandoval votes any better than Heller. GOP governors skew more moderate than their Senators because they're subject to different sets of pressure. Stick any of 'em in the Senate and they'd act like their Senators.

GOP politicians can't be viewed as individuals, just permutations of the same traits under different conditions. There's a handful of exceptions (Collins, Murkowski), but even they're mostly about being able to defy those conditions more than anything else. Those two still vote along party lines >80% of the time.

I would still consider that 20 percent difference to be "moderate" relative to the rest of the conference, which votes in lockstep 95+ percent of the time.

I think we'll also see Flake and Sasse mount primary challenges in 2020, particularly if Trump continues his downward spiral into chaos - a pretty safe bet. It's 2017. You don't write a book unless you're running for President in 2020.

I'll be shocked if Kasich doesn't try to primary Trump. He's not just laying the groundwork for another presidential bid, but checking in on his groundwork from last year to make sure it's all still there and connected.

reece.JPG

Can't have leaks on Middle East Talks if there are no talks happening to begin with.

RDreamer

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
Only the Fake News Media and Trump enemies want me to stop using Social Media (110 million people). Only way for me to get the truth out!
9:55 AM · Aug 1, 2017

(he only has 34 million followers)

(Obama had 92 million)

He might be talking about reach. Just because someone's not following you doesn't mean they aren't seeing your posts. I don't follow Trump, but I see a lot of his shit on twitter. 110 million people could be seeing his posts per month or per whatever period he's getting reports from.

Teggy

He might be talking about reach. Just because someone's not following you doesn't mean they aren't seeing your posts. I don't follow Trump, but I see a lot of his shit on twitter. 110 million people could be seeing his posts per month or per whatever period he's getting reports from.

Why even bother trying to figure it out. Making things up his standard MO. See: inauguration crowd.

jtb

Banned
I still remember rumors from last year of Sandoval switching parties

Wonder what came out of that. Just rumors I guess.

I don't think they were actually based in fact, more extrapolating from the Obama team floating his name on the SCOTUS list.

I think that was just Obama trolling the GOP in the end.

RDreamer

Why even bother trying to figure it out. Making things up his standard MO. See: inauguration crowd.

Yeah I just don't know why people keep trying to play gotcha over whatever dumb number he pulls out his ass. He's probably lying, duh. Let's talk about other things that matter more.

A recent PPP poll had him at 29%, and he was at 35% in June.

Btw Heller only won by a point.
Thanks. A six point drop is not noise.

I did see however that he's at 31% on a generic ballot vs 22% approval. It underscores my frustration with trying to forecast how vulnerable a politician is by their approval. Personally I see that 31% as his 'real' approval, or partisan approval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom