• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ryan also follows the ridiculous Hastert rule (named after a convicted pedophile) which means even if the bill could pass with the minority party + some majority party votes, it won't be put up to a vote unless the majority of the majority will vote on it.

By the way, did I mention this rule was named after a convicted pedophile, whom the GOP still respect, because of course they do.

Slacker

When the Big Orange Baby won the election of course knew he'd be terrible on policy/planning/leadership/etc. I wonder how long the list is of things we hoped wouldn't be a problem because at the very least we assumed Trump was a functioning human being. Off the top of my head, I assumed any human would know:

- How to shake a hand properly
- Not to shove world leaders aside when at gatherings
- When talking to children, don't swear
- When talking to children, don't talk about politics
- When talking to children, don't talk about sex
- Don't call members of your own party (or the other party, really) fools
- Hire people with experience relevant to their positions
- Don't call the White House a dump

etc etc etc

Crocodile

The Immigration bill worries (not that the system needs no reforms but this bill sounds like trash, I don't trust the Trump administration to do it well/for non-racist reasons and scaling back legal immigration is akin to cosigning America to a slow, painful death and a deprivation of just good people in general) but it feels like the sort of thing even enough Republicans in Congress would balk at to kill it outright. Is that a correct read of the situation?

The Mooch talks about his NY Times Conversation post firing:

“Most of what I said was humorous and joking. Legally, it may have been on the record, but the spirit of it was off. And he knew that.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/02/anthony-scaramucci-explains-new-yorker-rant-241238?cmpid=sf

giphy.gif

When the Big Orange Baby won the election of course knew he'd be terrible on policy/planning/leadership/etc. I wonder how long the list is of things we hoped wouldn't be a problem because at the very least we assumed Trump was a functioning human being. Off the top of my head, I assumed any human would know:

etc etc etc
These are all good points. Could you refresh my memory on the swearing around children thing?

I'm way past the point of wishing he succeeds. There will be no pivot. He's not gonna change. He's got terrible judgment and the US / the world will need years to recover from a full Trump presidency.

It's not really about "succeeding". There's no stopping the shitstorm clouds building up over his head. A basically functioning White House with a proper chain of command is important for the stability of the country now and going forward.

He's still fucked even if Kelly manages to instill minimal discipline in the Oval Office.

Slacker

These are all good points. Could you refresh my memory on the swearing around children thing?

He swore at many of his rallies before the election, but I was specifically referring to the "what the hell do I want to talk about poliltics for" comment in front of the Boy Scouts the other day.

BREAKING: Trump has signed the Russia sanctions bill, per @margarettalev

WE ARE ON PEE TAPE ALERT LEVEL 5 PEOPLE THIS IS NOT A DRILL

royalan

So, Trump signed The Democrats Russia Sanctions (Brought to You Exclusively By The Democrats) Bill...

Your move, Putin.

Mike M

Nick N
Had there been any legal precedent for challenging signing statements? I vaguely recall W getting challenged on a signing statement where he outlined how he was interpreting the bill to mean like the polar opposite of what it said it something.

Wilsongt

I wonder how Hannity will piss all over this Democrat Russia Sanction bill tonight because there is no Russia story.

Have you heard about Hillary and Ukraine?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
lol I missed the White House is a dump comment.

I sort of see it
since he filled it with trash ayooooooo

etc etc etc
All kidding aside, I fully believe that Obama would have started talk of impeachment if he had done any of this, especially the last one. Conservatives had their panties twisted so many times because of Obama's seemingly slights to the White House.

jtb

Banned
Ryan also follows the ridiculous Hastert rule (named after a convicted pedophile) which means even if the bill could pass with the minority party + some majority party votes, it won't be put up to a vote unless the majority of the majority will vote on it.

By the way, did I mention this rule was named after a convicted pedophile, whom the GOP still respect, because of course they do.

I forgot where I read this, but despite it being named after Hastert, it is a House tradition that far pre-dates Hastert's speakership iirc and various GOP speakers have not necessarily 'violated' the rule more often than any other speakers, Dem or pre-Hastert GOP. It strengthens the party and vests power into the Speaker position.

I could be wrong. I'll do some reading, see what I find.

studyguy

https://twitter.com/aedwardslevy/status/892762288909942785
Ariel Edwards-Levy (@aedwardslevy)
Also in latest Pollster: a May HuffPost/YouGov poll found relatively few Dems support abortion litmus test https://t.co/m0IMdJMagJ
DGO6hWpWAAIGqHW.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/jpiacenza/status/892760890872868869
Joanna Piacenza (@jpiacenza)
Republicans more likely to say white people (42%) face discrimination than they are to say black people (27%) do.
https://t.co/OlbEXZC5ik
DGO5DFkWAAMFa8H.jpg:large

Gallup Abortion breakdown

kirblar

So, is it normal for the President to sign official letters he clearly didn't actually write? This feels like it should have Sessions name on it.
Likely yes, that's what staffers are for.

But normally you have a President who's not functionally illiterate and making it obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom