• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilsongt

Despite President Donald Trump’s off-track interviews, meandering speeches, low approval rating, and stalled legislative agenda, he is the most gifted politician of our time, said senior White House policy adviser Stephen Miller late Tuesday.

“President Trump is the most gifted politician of our time. He’s the best orator to hold that office in generations,” Miller said in an interview with Fox News host Laura Ingraham, who was filling in on Tucker Carlson Tonight.

What is with young guys who look like old guys and their support of Trump?

Diablos

This is my angle.

Generally I prefer new candidates, but if Johnson's seat opens up, man, Feingold was really fucking good, you guys.

Also I think it's ironic Johnson blames McCain's brain cancer for his No vote. Whose idea was it to fly him out to the Senate floor again?

Thank you.

A Minnesotan will surely win a Wisconsin election.

Wait until they hear my whiskey plate joke.
No matter what happens or doesn't in regards to Johnson's seat, I think everyone is overlooking Feingold as a formidable 2020 Presidential candidate. I hope he runs.

Not to mention if he does a good job he can definitely play a huge role in hopefully winning back WI and I'd like to think he'd have more appeal in the rust belt overall. That's all we need.

Blader

I have a bad feeling about the VA governor's race. It doesn't make sense to me that Gillespie would struggle so much in his primary and Northam blow out his, for them to be this close in the polls, unless Northam is just a particularly unappealing candidate for many.

I have a bad feeling about the VA governor's race. It doesn't make sense to me that Gillespie would struggle so much in his primary and Northam blow out his, for them to be this close in the polls, unless Northam is just a particularly unappealing candidate for many.
Some people on kos are saying his support for pipelines are hurting him with the left.

Because you know, the choice between "supports pipelines" and "supports pipelines and also gives the GOP full government control" is a real fucking head scratcher.

Also if Feingold runs for president I'll eat my hat.

kirblar

Ugh. I mean, yay, but, like, ugh.
"Isn't consolidating the Left" doesn't seem to be the correct take here given the polling data:
A R D
Favorable 35% 5% 68% 26% 30% 40% 43% 25%
Unfavorable 18 36 2 23 24 13 20 24
Hvn't hrd enough 45 55 30 50 44 46 36 49
The proper one would seem to be "who?"

It seems about in line w/ McAulliffe's margins and voting ranges around this time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_gubernatorial_election,_2013#Polling_2
Some people on kos are saying his support for pipelines are hurting him with the left.

Because you know, the choice between "supports pipelines" and "supports pipelines and also gives the GOP full government control" is a real fucking head scratcher.

He has a 2% unfavorable w/ Dems. Gillespie has a 5% unfavorable w/ Rs.

That's not likely the issue. They both have about the same level of betrayal in the party in the main poll (5-6%)

Also worth noting that Is are leaning Gillespie, meaning that the presumed electorate is leaning heavily D this round.

I mean, Northam kind of sucks, but we all knew that already. Now he just needs to win.

The actual answer to this is to not give people a reason to flee and not support pipelines.

Bet the GOP feels the vacation is a let down, considering he threatens and whines more than when he "works." We'll still have to see how the brinksmanship-but-just-kidding will impact approval, but it can't be too helpful.

"Isn't consolidating the Left" doesn't seem to be the correct take here given the polling data:

The proper one would seem to be "who?"

It seems about in line w/ McAulliffe's margins and voting ranges around this time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_gubernatorial_election,_2013#Polling_2

He has a 2% unfavorable w/ Dems. Gillespie has a 5% unfavorable w/ Rs.

That's not likely the issue. They both have about the same level of betrayal in the party in the main poll (5-6%)

Also worth noting that Is are leaning Gillespie, meaning that the presumed electorate is leaning heavily D this round.
Eh, alright.

I hope we at least make some decent gains for the House. The path to 51 is so narrow that I'm not really expecting it, although obviously that would be just swell.

The actual answer to this is to not give people a reason to flee and not support pipelines.
I mean, yes.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

I wish the left would get on Pipelines with strict regulation and inspections.
With the added fear of significant fines on failure and criminal charges on negligence.

Pipelines are an environmentally efficient way to transport, and safe when corners are not cut. That's not to say routes should not avoid certain areas when it's feasible.

How is transporting the stuff via rail or truck more environmentally friendly?
From the reading I did on it, unless there is a sudden significant leak, or a minor leak that goes undetected, it's more environmentally friendly for pipelines. It should be feasible to create a set of regulations to virtually negate those type of risks.

kirblar

Eh, alright.

I hope we at least make some decent gains for the House. The path to 51 is so narrow that I'm not really expecting it, although obviously that would be just swell.
Yeah, I hope mine flips. The GOP crew literally did the "Tiny American Flags for Everyone" thing on July 4 in my neighborhood.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Well he's got a point but he did fuck all about helping get the legislation passed so kind of a wash.

He calculated it would be better to use any tactic to get something passed, rather than trying to pushback and confront Trump while doing the process as it is always done.

His own fault.

pigeon

Banned
I wish the left would get on Pipelines with strict regulation and inspections.
With the added fear of significant fines on failure and criminal charges on negligence.

Pipelines are an environmentally efficient way to transport, and safe when corners are not cut. That's not to say routes should not avoid certain areas when it's feasible.

How is transporting the stuff via rail or truck more environmentally friendly?
From the reading I did on it, unless there is a sudden significant leak, or a minor leak that goes undetected, it's more environmentally friendly for pipelines. It should be feasible to create a set of regulations to virtually negate those type of risks.

It was fascinating to read a story in I think a Chicago newspaper from a while back all about the "death tankers" that carried loads of oil on surface roads which could at any moment crash and kill everybody, and how this could all be prevented by building a simple, clean pipeline if only Big Oil weren't standing in the way.

The frustrating thing about the whole discussion is that it's mainly about who should bear the significant risks and costs of oil transport, urban or rural, federal or state. None of the options presented really involve just not transporting oil so much. It's fungible! We're a net exporter! Most of the places with oil have low population density and could probably support local refineries! There are a lot of better options besides just going to solar, although sure, we should also probably just go to solar and leave it in the ground.

He calculated it would be better to use any tactic to get something passed, rather than trying to pushback and confront Trump while doing the process as it is always done.

His own fault.

Trump oversold his replace plan during the campaign too. The GOP has had 7 years, but he set the criteria they were supposed to accomplish. Finger pointing for who has the most egg on their faces.

BREAKING NEWS:

DGzu2grWAAAmTaX.jpg:large

Too bad the Cheeto ain't there

Quinnipiac Virginia

Northam 44-38
Generic ballot 49-38 D

Seems Northam is having some trouble coalescing the left but a 6-point lead is nothing to sneeze at.

High undecideds gives me some heartburn though.

https://poll.qu.edu/virginia/release-detail?ReleaseID=2479

Trump approval 36-61
McAuliffe approval 51-35
Kaine approval 54-38 (50-40 re-elect)
Warner approval 59-30

If liberals continue to not vote Dem because of whatever fucking reason, they deserve Trump.

Maxim726X

So... Who would have thought that Tillerson would be his best cabinet appointee?

Low standards, for sure, but he actually doesn't suck at his job.

Maxim726X

He's an oil executive nominally in charge of our foreign policy. The jokes write themselves.

Well yeah, I thought it was a joke too. Still is, but can't say I don't agree with his positions to this point.

Perhaps it's the curse of low expectations.

Our view on things are so screwed since we have literal monsters in some positions. The Exxon Putin guy seems decent.

Right. Honestly thought the guy would irrevocably fucked something up and cause an international conflict... Particularly because his department is basically barren.

Blader

Perriello would've won.

I favored Periello over Northam, but I have a hard time believing anyone who'd lose a primary that badly would win a general election. Especially when what killed him was that he seemed more focused on running a nationalized run than a state-focused campaign.

So... Who would have thought that Tillerson would be his best cabinet appointee?

Low standards, for sure, but he actually doesn't suck at his job.

I used to think this too, but he really does suck. He's completely dismantling the State Department and surrounding himself with an insular group of Trump sycophants who are blocking out the input of the career civil service officials who actually know what they're talking about.

I think at the end of the day, one of the least talked about stories with the most long-term consequences is going to be the gutting of the diplomatic corps under Tillerson's watch.

It was fascinating to read a story in I think a Chicago newspaper from a while back all about the "death tankers" that carried loads of oil on surface roads which could at any moment crash and kill everybody, and how this could all be prevented by building a simple, clean pipeline if only Big Oil weren't standing in the way.

The frustrating thing about the whole discussion is that it's mainly about who should bear the significant risks and costs of oil transport, urban or rural, federal or state. None of the options presented really involve just not transporting oil so much. It's fungible! We're a net exporter! Most of the places with oil have low population density and could probably support local refineries! There are a lot of better options besides just going to solar, although sure, we should also probably just go to solar and leave it in the ground.

Nuclear runs into similar issues where most people are fine with it on paper but don't want the facilities near them.

I favored Periello over Northam, but I have a hard time believing anyone who'd lose a primary that badly would win a general election. Especially when what killed him was that he seemed more focused on running a nationalized run than a state-focused campaign.

I mean, there's lots of people who lose primaries who are better GE candidates.

Do we think that Lugar would've lost to Donnelly? Sarah Steelman lost to McCaskill?
Bernie to Trump?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Do we think that Lugar would've lost to Donnelly? Sarah Steelman lost to McCaskill?
Bernie to Trump?

Am I rubbing off on you?

Pyrokai

Mother of fuck

Jon Husted better not be our next governor. What a shit. He knows this directly makes it easier for him.

I don't know who I'm voting for in the primaries. There's like 5 Democrats running already.

got angry when I saw that, I'm more inclined right now at stopping mandell. he needs his political career snipped out, I dont want another paul ryan.

and getting dems to vote in neo is a joke, so many lazy fuckwit arm chair generals

kirblar

Bernie to Trump?
I mean, in regards to the *spoiler*, when someone can get populism and racism, why would they just take the populism?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom