• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixieking

Banned
UNR Student Talks After Marching in Charlottesville White Nationalist Rally

Free Speech

”I came to this march for the message that white European culture has a right to be here just like every other culture, ”Cvjetanovic told Channel 2 News. ”It is not perfect; there are flaws to it, of course. However I do believe that the replacement of the statue will be the slow replacement of white heritage within the United States and the people who fought and defended and built their homeland.

And dumb and naive
Photos of Cvjetanovic protesting circulated on social media, denouncing Cvjetanovic as a racist. ”I did not expect the photo to be shared as much as it was. I understand the photo has a very negative connotation. But I hope that the people sharing the photo are willing to listen that I'm not the angry racist they see in that photo."

Sianos

I can't imagine the GOP primarying Trump would be successful barring the Russia investigation exploding wide open or a series of catastrophes - at which point the GOP as a whole is tarnished anyways. This rhetoric is exactly what their core base wants. This is what they mean when they say they want someone who tells it like it is.

What are they going to criticize him on that would attract Republican voters? What are they going to run on to differentiate themselves without deviating too far from their shared beliefs and depressing the bloc that won them 2016 - the racists Trump is so desperately trying to hold onto?

I think Black Lives Matter/Both Sides is going to be the next Emails/Benghazi. Its by far the most common reply to this by conservatives online and that was even before the white house made it their message.

Zolo

I think Black Lives Matter/Both Sides is going to be the next Emails/Benghazi. Its by far the most common reply to this by conservatives online and that was even before the white house made it their message.

"Both Sides" is pretty much the last resort before saying one's own side is wrong.

DHLvvleUQAEBhc2.jpg:large

DHLyCLcUIAEhRzq.jpg:large

Pretending like nothing happened

Kusagari

They seem to be going after Antifa more than BLM. Every single one of these dudes on the shows trying to spin Trump's comment says, "ANTIFA HAD A FLAMETHROWER!"

Zolo

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/14/...l?smprod=nytcore-ipad&smid=nytcore-ipad-share
WASHINGTON — Attorney General Jeff Sessions said on Monday that the “evil attack” in Charlottesville, Va., over the weekend meets the legal definition of an act of domestic terrorism, an early declaration in an investigation after a car plowed into a crowd of protesters.

“It does meet the definition of domestic terrorism in our statute,” Mr. Sessions said on ABC’s “Good Morning America,” referring to a fatal attack on Saturday when a vehicle drove into a crowd protesting white nationalists, killing one woman and injuring others. A 20-year-old man has been arrested and charged with second-degree murder, three counts of malicious wounding and failing to stop at the scene of a crash that resulted in a death.

“You can be sure we will charge and advance the investigation toward the most serious charges that can be brought because this is unequivocally an unacceptable evil attack,” Mr. Sessions said, adding that terrorism and civil rights investigators were working on the case.

tbm24

Gotta love that Trump couldn't bring himself to denounce nazis. Fucking joke of a president. The ads have written themselves. It occurred to me that this is Benghazi for Trump(the Benghazi hate towards Obama that is, not the Clinton side of it).

Wilsongt

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
Now that Ken Frazier of Merck Pharma has resigned from President's Manufacturing Council,he will have more time to LOWER RIPOFF DRUG PRICES!
8:54 AM · Aug 14, 2017

Broken clock and all that, but I doubt one resignation will do anything about drug prices, fool.

GrapeApes

TS-08

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
Now that Ken Frazier of Merck Pharma has resigned from President's Manufacturing Council,he will have more time to LOWER RIPOFF DRUG PRICES!
8:54 AM · Aug 14, 2017

Broken clock and all that, but I doubt one resignation will do anything about drug prices, fool.

Broken clock? He's just bitter that this guy dared to resign and speak out. This has nothing to do with an actual concern on Trump's part of lowering drug prices.

Sessions in a few weeks: "We've looked into the matter and the tragedy in Virginia was caused by colleges sponsoring affirmative action! This evil must be expunged!"

*Only half kidding*

At worst, Trump will say today something like people being held accountable for their actions, or disowning the murder but not outright blaming the nazis on it. That's plausible deniability for a lot of these people, thus they absolutely must be called out be name or it's a worthless statement. Despite being a gamergate victim/alumni/survivor, even I'm extremely impressed by the "BOTH SIDES, BITCHES!" in play here. Unfortunately this is a bit more serious-- "ethics in gaming journalism" bullshit arguments there versus actual terrorism and murder here.

Only somewhat related, but Twitter is quickly rising for me as a "if you could go back in time to try to save the world, what would you prevent?" situation.

At worst, Trump will say today something like people being held accountable for their actions, or disowning the murder but not outright blaming the nazis on it. That's plausible deniability for a lot of these people, thus they absolutely must be called out be name or it's a worthless statement. Despite being a gamergate victim/alumni/survivor, even I'm extremely impressed by the "BOTH SIDES, BITCHES!" in play here. Unfortunately this is a bit more serious-- "ethics in gaming journalism" bullshit arguments there versus actual terrorism and murder here.

Only somewhat related, but Twitter is quickly rising for me as a "if you could go back in time to try to save the world, what would you prevent?" situation.

Twitter's existence wouldn't be that bad if the management gave half a shit about curtailing abuse from the usual suspects.

I've always hated Nate's punditry but honestly I think his model performed quite well in 2016. In fact, I was more impressed by its performance then than I was in 2012 when it got every state right. Polling errors are going to happen, so what's important is how a given model accounts for it. His did a good job of accounting for the uncertainty and hence giving Trump a roughly 30% chance of winning, which is not that small. Any sensible model would've given Clinton a higher chance of winning since she was leading in the polls after all. Probabilistic predictions will be "wrong" sometimes and one of the strengths of the method is the way in which it accounts for and attempts to quantify this.

Doesn't make it any less annoying when he goes into pundit mode though.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
That's what I was wondering. I thought he was supposed to be in NY longer.
Running away from protests?

Photos of Cvjetanovic protesting circulated on social media, denouncing Cvjetanovic as a racist. “I did not expect the photo to be shared as much as it was. I understand the photo has a very negative connotation. But I hope that the people sharing the photo are willing to listen that I’m not the angry racist they see in that photo.”
If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

So the press is going to continue to pretend the POTUS is not supporting white supremacists, even after POTUS attacks an African-American CEO (the odds!)

Wilsongt

So the press is going to continue to pretend the POTUS is not supporting white supremacists, even after POTUS attacks an African-American CEO (the odds!)

Republicans can get away with murder, literally, and the media will rarely take then to tasks.

But Democrats send emails and all hell breaks loose.

At this point, it is best to avoid all TV based news and focus on print media.

Zolo

Republicans can get away with murder, literally, and the media will rarely take then to tasks.

But Democrats send emails and all hell breaks loose.

At this point, it is best to avoid all TV based news and focus on print media.

You can't ignore TV based news when it still has such an effect on the populace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom