• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberTag

Sessions has already basically called Trump's bluff on this. Trump can tweet all that he wants, if he wants Sessions gone he will have to fire him. What exactly can Trump say that will make Sessions resign at this point?
He could tweet that Jefferson Beauregard secretly likes black people. Sessions wouldn't approve of that.

There were people talking about how bringing him on was the administration turning a new leaf.
Nobody smart was saying that.

As disgusting as the trans tweet is, it is more incredible to me Trump is basically trying to force his own cabinet member to resign with Twitter attacks becaus3 he doesn't have the balls to fire someone republicans love.

So if it is found legally Trump can do this Trans soldiers lives will basically be in flux forever now...he literally just destroyed lives with a few tweets.

and yet the GOP will gladly let him pick the new FBI Director without any concern

It's so ridiculous. The last week has shown that literally (in the correct sense) anybody that Trump nominates to the Justice Department has a conflict of interest because he's declared loudly and clearly that anyone who doesn't do anything in their power to stop the Russia investigation is disloyal, working against him and will be fired.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
The Sessions tweets are a good reminder of how Trump actually plays 4D chess (ie terribly and in 1D). For the few people left who still think he's some master strategist.

Mattis himself already (months ago) blocked the order letting transgender soldiers serve openly

That's not true. You might be thinking of open enlistment.

Transgender service members have been able to serve openly in the military since last year, when then-Defense Secretary Ash Carter ended the ban, declaring it the right thing to do. Since Oct. 1, transgender troops have been able to receive medical care and start formally changing their gender identifications in the Pentagon's personnel system.

But Carter also gave the services until July 1 to develop policies to allow people already identifying as transgender to newly join the military, if they meet physical, medical and other standards, and have been stable in their identified genders for 18 months.

The military chiefs have argued they need more time to study the issue and its effects on the readiness of the force before taking that step.

According to officials familiar with the internal discussions, the chiefs believe the extra six months would give the four military services time to gauge if currently serving transgender troops are facing problems and what necessary changes military bases might have to make.

Matts gave them another 6 months (literally a couple of weeks ago) to determine how enlistment will affect the military, but trans members can openly serve.

UberTag

Man, what the fuck. They can't serve in the military period?? Like, they can't even get desk jobs? Christ.
Trump probably feels we should consider him compassionate that he isn't advocating mass deportation of the transgender community. They still get to call themselves Americans. They still get to vote. They still get to seek out employment from non-military professions. He isn't advocating that they get hunted for sport. What a compassionate man he is.

sangreal

That's not true. You might be thinking of open enlistment.

Matts gave them another 6 months (literally a couple of weeks ago) to determine how enlistment will affect the military, but trans members can openly serve.

The difference is very minor (well, not to the 15k+ people impacted) -- Mattis banned openly transgender people from joining and Trump banned them from serving. My point is not whether Trump's ban is new or broader but that Mattis hasn't shown any sympathy for this cause so all the comments that "he must be pissed" seem baseless. Calling his move a 'review' is a transparent pretext. One used constantly by the Trump administration. In hindsight, this should be clear. They delayed the implementation from July 1st because they knew they were going to throw it out

In general, I don't understand this forum's love for Mattis

jtb

Banned
The Dems need to rewrite their platform to be "hey, we're racists too!" in order to win in 2018. After all, we can't blame the voters!

He's seen as more moderate and more thoughtful when compared to the rest of the cabinet

It's not love.

It's also hardly solely from this forum. Mattis is one of the only cabinet members approved by the 'mainstream'

Show me proof that Trump was personally involved in coordinating with Putin?

We have smoke, not fire yet. Either way, this is a topic for another day.

The post you responded to never said that Trump personally coordinated with Putin! You pushed a reasonable and fact-based statement to the extreme so you could dismiss it.

It's not a topic for another day. It's a topic for now. Right now we need to talk about how you constantly fight to ignore and demean evidence-based arguments.

PBY

Banned
The Dems need to rewrite their platform to be "hey, we're racists too!" in order to win in 2018. After all, we can't blame the voters!

Blaming the voters is a losing game. Racists and sexists won in 2016, because they turned out.

The left will never win those folks, or at the very least will not win by trying to appeal to some murky concept of the center. The left will win by putting forth a platform that their base gets excited for and turns out to vote for.

PBY

Banned
The post you responded to never said that Trump personally coordinated with Putin! You pushed a reasonable and fact based statement to the extreme so you could dismiss it.

It's not a topic for another day. It's a topic for now. Right now we need to talk about how you constantly fight to ignore and demean evidence based arguments.

? I don't even know what the fuck you're arguing against.

I misread the post, conceded that, and corrected it. Three pages later you quote me in a vacuum and I state a fucking fact.

Jesus christ. Name one evidence-based Russia item that I've disagreed on?

Slacker

DFqimujXsAAkqgG.jpg

via https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/890202683721863168

I know we all get tired of saying this, but every day really is an amazing new low. This is absolutely stunning. Making decisions for the military not based on safety or effectiveness, but with winning political points in mind.

And pro-military GOP cowards will say/do absolutely nothing.

Senate Judiciary Hearing is going on regarding Russian Lobbying. Orrin Hatch is parroting the idea that we need to investigate Hilary Clinton. Shoot me.

kirblar

Blaming the voters is a losing game. Racists and sexists won in 2016, because they turned out.

The left will never win those folks, or at the very least will not win by trying to appeal to some murky concept of the center. The left will win by putting forth a platform that their base gets excited for and turns out to vote for.
No. You are fundamentally wrong. No one (who matters) gives a fuck about the actual platform contents. Your swing voters do not read them. The idea that adjusting them ore leftward or rightward would have done anything is ridiculous.

The problems were twofold: you cannot excite your base when you hold the presidency and your charisma will not translate to your successor. The US political system's pendulum nature (the people voting against the president are energized) made it a more upstream battle than the norm and Clinton's lack of ability to lie to swing voters made her candidacy far closer than it should have been w "generic mainstream Dem" in the position instead.

PBY

Banned
No. You are fundamentally wrong. No one (who matters) gives a fuck about the actual platform contents. Your swing voters do not read them. The idea that adjusting them ore leftward or rightward would have done anything is ridiculous.

The problems were twofold: you cannot excite your base when you hold the presidency and your charisma will not translate to your successor. The US political system's pendulum nature (the people voting against the president are energized) made it a more upstream battle than the norm and Clinton's lack of ability to lie to swing voters made her candidacy far closer than it should have been w "generic mainstream Dem" in the position instead.

I fundamentally disagree with the bolded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom