• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a sense, I have no qualms with what it's supposed to represent, but just from the Spanish speaking perspective it's inserting an X randomly into a word when grammatically it breaks an entire sentence's structure.
Wait, do they never use latinx in Spanish-speaking places? Is this something English speakers invented? I assumed it started there and we adopted it.

Vestal

This GenForwardSurvey poll plus the week's incidents are giving me a more confident feeling that Bernie is the one to beat in 2020. I dont think even Biden is in a stronger position than Bernie atm:

bernie_sanders.png

(A lot of more amazing hindsights of millennials 18-34)

How old is Bernie going to be in 2020 again? How old is Uncle Joe?

Yeah no thanks. He lost, it's over.. Let's move on..

barber

Wait, do they never use latinx in Spanish-speaking places? Is this something English speakers invented? I assumed it started there and we adopted it.

In Spain, we usually wrote @ and nowadays in formal we just use both terms (as in when writing laws). The thing is that spanish should be read as written and latinx (NX!) is something fucking hard to say, but i think it may be somewhat used? (but less than the other two option from what i recall)

So someone asked this and I"m not sure. I've looked up this recent proposal and can't find anything on it specifically.

Do any of these single payer or medicare for all type bills ever address the need for a unification of medical records?

I hate getting stuck at the bottom of the last page when I'm asking something lol

studyguy

I believe it started with in US Chicano communities.

Chicanx/Latinx

I'm more familiar with Chicano.
Hell I assumed that was gender neutral.
Also no one says Latinx in Spanish, it literally doesn't make sense.

Honestly all this goes back to my main qualm in the problems of labeling Latin communities. Hispanic feels like too wide of an umbrella and not everyone is a Latino obviously. so... Shit sucks. Chicano is Mexico specific as well so... we're just one big fucking umbrella. Also I've never seen Latin@, but that's extraordinarily clever.

FyreWulff

In Spain, we usually wrote @ and nowadays in formal we just use both terms (as in when writing laws). The thing is that spanish should be read as written and latinx (NX!) is something fucking hard to say, but i think it may be somewhat used? (but less than the other two option from what i recall)

the @ strategy is goddamn clever

So someone asked this and I"m not sure. I've looked up this recent proposal and can't find anything on it specifically.

Do any of these single payer or medicare for all type bills ever address the need for a unification of medical records?

Pretty sure this is already in progress. The problem has always been the existing tail of paper only records up until recently. I think if you were born recently all your records are digital and easily pulled up ?

But doctors will re-ask information anyway as it leads to less mistakes.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Latinex would be an equally useful term while not sacrificing literally every rule of word structure.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Josh Barro's article on Business Insider nicely sums up my thoughts on the best way forward for Healthcare and the dangers and hurdles of the plan Sanders is pushing:

http://www.businessinsider.com/bernie-sanders-medicare-for-all-democrats-single-payer-2017-9

There is a version of "Medicare for All" that Democrats could operationalize effectively and popularly: opening a version of Medicare or Medicaid up to any individual who wants to buy coverage under it, and to any employer who wants to buy coverage for its employees under it.

Such a program could build on the existing system of subsidies and exchanges created by Obamacare, as well as the existing system of tax-preferred employer-provided health insurance. It could reduce costs for consumers by using the government’s bargaining power to bring down the prices paid for drugs and medical services. It could be sold with the promise that if people like their current plans, they could keep them.

And because it would make health insurance a better deal, it would lead to more people having coverage and more people being satisfied with their coverage.

In practice, the cost advantage of the Medicare or Medicaid system might lead most individuals and most employers to decide they’d rather buy the public plan than a private one. But that would be a voluntary change — one that consumers would welcome because of the cost savings — not a mandatory one.

Single-payer systems around the world are cheaper than the US system, but the extreme generosity of the Sanders proposal would undermine cost savings. The abolition of co-payments and co-insurance — which are a feature of both existing Medicare and many other countries’ government health-insurance systems — would encourage consumers to use more healthcare, driving up costs.

In the absence of co-insurance, other countries’ systems rely on government gatekeepers to hold down costs, denying treatments that are unnecessary or not cost-effective. Expansive promises about what single payer would cover, and political rhetoric about getting insurers out of the way of your care decisions, will tend to undermine the effectiveness of such gatekeeping.

The big political advantage of a public-option approach is it makes it possible to take on providers and drug companies directly, on the issue of costs, without simultaneously fighting on many other fronts. With a public option, you don’t need to simultaneously convince doctors to take a pay cut and convince workers and employers to accept a tax increase and convince consumers to give up their existing insurance plans.

studyguy

Again I have 0 issue with people using the word, I definitely don't want that getting away from us. There's nothing wrong with Latinx as a term, it's literally just another term for the group. If it makes people using the term in English more comfortable then more power to them.

The original point is that if I told my mom we were latinx she'd ask me if I sneezed or something lol

So basically it's Tumblr language policing bullshit from people who don't speak Spanish.

Uh, I don't know what weird thing you are projecting, but nothing necessarily point to it being originated by people who don't speak Spanish. I know a lot of Spanish speakers who happily have adopted and promoted it's usage.

Emarv

Wait, how do you pronounce "Latinos" like that? "Latin-exes"?

I'm more familiar with Chicano.
Hell I assumed that was gender neutral.
Also no one says Latinx in Spanish, it literally doesn't make sense.

Honestly all this goes back to my main qualm in the problems of labeling Latin communities. Hispanic feels like too wide of an umbrella and not everyone is a Latino obviously. so... Shit sucks. Chicano is Mexico specific as well so... we're just one big fucking umbrella. Also I've never seen Latin@, but that's extraordinarily clever.

Chicano here, I have lots of thoughts on this conversation (and the racial classification of Latinos). To cut to the point, though, I'm a fan of adopting "Mestizo" for most of us over here.

Trump Humiliated Jeff Sessions After Mueller Appointment

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/14/us/politics/jeff-sessions-trump.html

The president’s outburst came in the middle of an Oval Office meeting Mr. Trump had with top advisers on May 17, to discuss candidates to take over the F.B.I. after the president fired its director, James B. Comey, earlier that month. In addition to Mr. Sessions, Vice President Mike Pence, Donald F. McGahn III, the White House counsel, and several other aides attended the meeting.

In the middle of the meeting, Mr. McGahn received a phone call from Rod J. Rosenstein, the deputy attorney general who had been overseeing the Russia investigation since Mr. Sessions recused himself from the inquiry months earlier. Mr. Sessions had stepped aside after it was revealed he had not provided accurate testimony to Congress about his meetings with the Russian ambassador during the presidential campaign.

In the telephone call to Mr. McGahn, Mr. Rosenstein said he had decided to appoint Mr. Mueller to be a special counsel for the investigation. Congress had been putting pressure on Mr. Rosenstein to appoint a special counsel to put distance between the Trump administration and the Russia investigation, and just the day before The New York Times had revealed that Mr. Trump had once asked Mr. Comey to end the F.B.I.’s investigation into Michael T. Flynn, the former national security adviser.

When the phone call ended, Mr. McGahn relayed the news to the president and his aides. Almost immediately, Mr. Trump lobbed a volley of insults at Mr. Sessions, telling the attorney general it was his fault they were in the current situation. Mr. Trump told Mr. Sessions that choosing him to be attorney general was one of the worst decisions he had made, called him an “idiot,” and said that he should resign.

An emotional Mr. Sessions told the president he would resign and left the Oval Office. That evening, as the Justice Department publicly announced the appointment of Mr. Mueller, the attorney general wrote a brief resignation letter to the president that was later sent to the White House. A person familiar with the events raised the possibility that Mr. Sessions had become emotional because the impact of his recusal was becoming clear.

In the hours after the Oval Office meeting, however, Mr. Trump’s top advisers intervened to save Mr. Sessions’s job. Mr. Pence, Stephen K. Bannon, the president’s chief strategist at the time, and Reince Priebus, his chief of staff, all advised that accepting Mr. Sessions’s resignation would only sow more chaos inside the administration and rally Republicans in Congress against the president. Mr. Sessions, a former Alabama senator, served in the Senate for two decades.

The president relented, and eventually returned the resignation letter to Mr. Sessions — with a handwritten response on it.

Poor Sessions

not

Chicano here, I have lots of thoughts on this conversation (and the racial classification of Latinos). To cut to the point, though, I'm a fan of adopting "Mestizo" for most of us over here.

In conversation people just say Latino. It's more utilized for more official/organizational./academic/written occurrences of the word.

studyguy

Personally I don't like being lumped in with Ted Cruz types my dude. Feel like the divide is way too wide for like multi-generation Hispanics in the US since god knows when with a tenuous connection to the original culture who still fall under the same umbrella as the rest of us. It also feels incredibly unfair and gatekeeping-ish for me to say that as well, but there's so much daylight between newer immigrants and those established here for generations that I can't help but want a way to make it clearer, that compounded with the fact that Hispanic as a term is a massive as fuck umbrella considering how many different types of people fall under it. I have nothing to do with someone who is from Spain vs someone who is from Brazil, but I believe we all fall under the same category.

Also Mestizo is definitely much closer to what I'd envision as a proper definition but I don't ever see it referenced.

Pretty sure this is already in progress. The problem has always been the existing tail of paper only records up until recently. I think if you were born recently all your records are digital and easily pulled up ?

Is it? Any link or info? Are the insurers working together to provide a central database or some shit?

I had Kaiser as a child. I lost them for 10 years after I got off my parent's plan. My current employer has Kaiser and I"m back again. I was surprised to find that there is now a Kaiser app. Not only that but it has ALL my medical records from when I was a child. They had my surgeries and all my allergies ... everything. Minus that 10 year period of course.

That being said. I had three different insurers over those 10 years I didn't have Kaiser. I went to various random medical offices, never really got a PCP and went to urgent care a lot. I can't imagine how I would remember, find or get access to that info over that period of time.

I can't imagine how difficult this would be nationwide.

EDIT:

This is what vanity looks like

False

This is:

Valhelm

contribute something
This GenForwardSurvey poll plus the week's incidents are giving me a more confident feeling that Bernie is the one to beat in 2020. I dont think even Biden is in a stronger position than Bernie atm:

bernie_sanders.png

(A lot of more amazing hindsights of millennials 18-34)

Bernie's great but he's so old. Trump is about the same age but seems a little more lively.

The best bet would be somebody who can replicate all or most of Bernie's platform, secure an endorsement early, and potentially pick him as VP. Kamala Harris seems like the perfect unity candidate, but it's far too early to be picking 2020 favorites.

Trump Humiliated Jeff Sessions After Mueller Appointment

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/14/us/politics/jeff-sessions-trump.html

Poor Sessions

not

Ah, added dish to the rambling interview/confessional out of July. No wonder the KKKeebler Elf looks a wreck 24/7! lololol

Someone stepped in it.

Tim "Why Did I Even Bother" Scott

And then was named "Tom" for his efforts.

You're damned if you do, damned if you don't, Scott. Might as well go down like Flake is.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, the 2020 contenders are all on that cosponsor list. I don't think there's any serious chance of a Senator not on that list winning, since singlepayer is overwhelmingly popular among almost every section of the Democratic base, and I don't think that anyone currently not holding political office will be able to do well, since obvious question will be 'where were you when Trump fiddled and American burned?'. The House doesn't give enough profile, and even governers will struggle on that front versus Senators, unless they're from a really big state, and there's no viable Dem governors from a big state anywhere.

Of those Senators, I don't think Blumenthal, Baldwin, Hirono, Marey, Schatz, or Whitehouse are actually interested in running.

Kamala Harris (D-CA)
Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)
Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY)
Cory Booker (D-NJ)
Jeff Merkley (D-OR)
Bernie Sanders (I-VT)

The next Democratic nominee is one of these six. In reality, the invisible primary will weed out similar candidates - I don't think more than 2 of Harris, Booker, Gillibrand will run and I don't think more than 2 of Sanders, Merkley, Warren will run. So I think these six will be playing for positioning over the next 3 years.

Valhelm

contribute something
Was anybody else really shocked to see Booker endorse single payer? Seems a real departure from the moderating role he usually plays in the party

people: DACA is unconstitutional

response: Okay, lets enact it through congress and make it constitutional

people: Ummm, immigrants yargh. deport. Now. jerbs!

Fuck, people are so transparent in there racism and bigotry.

People opposing DACA don't give a shit about the constitution.

Brown/Harris is the 2020 Democratic ticket so jot that down

Easily the best ticket IMO. Too bad I don't buy the idea that Brown can win the nomination. On the other hand one white guy is going to become the Defacto White Guy Candidate, which isn't a bad position to be in. Maybe Brown could be that guy, over Chris Murphy for instance?

A lot of my friends are either on the Deval Patrick train or will be in 2019. I'm...going to pass on that.

kirblar

Was anybody else really shocked to see Booker endorse single payer? Seems a real departure from the moderating role he usually plays in the party
Booker is obviously running in 2020.

Booker is scary (not in a good way) because he has a terrible track record, both lefties and center-left people aren't really big fans, and is from f'ing NEW JERSEY.

On the positive side: He is charismatic.

The hope is that the latter isn't enough to make up for the former.
Easily the best ticket IMO. Too bad I don't buy the idea that Brown can win the nomination. On the other hand one white guy is going to become the Defacto White Guy Candidate, which isn't a bad position to be in. Maybe Brown could be that guy, over Chris Murphy for instance?

A lot of my friends are either on the Deval Patrick train or will be in 2019. I'm...going to pass on that.
Are they playing inside baseball literally inside the baseball?

dramatis

I just had a crazy stomach pain that basically paralyzed me for hours, can we not do 2020 tickets AGAIN

Is there going to have to be a separate Irma relief bill from the Harvey one?

pigeon

Banned
Honestly, the 2020 contenders are all on that cosponsor list. I don't think there's any serious chance of a Senator not on that list winning, since singlepayer is overwhelmingly popular among almost every section of the Democratic base, and I don't think that anyone currently not holding political office will be able to do well, since obvious question will be 'where were you when Trump fiddled and American burned?'. The House doesn't give enough profile, and even governers will struggle on that front versus Senators, unless they're from a really big state, and there's no viable Dem governors from a big state anywhere.

Of those Senators, I don't think Blumenthal, Baldwin, Hirono, Marey, Schatz, or Whitehouse are actually interested in running.

Kamala Harris (D-CA)
Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)
Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY)
Cory Booker (D-NJ)
Jeff Merkley (D-OR)
Bernie Sanders (I-VT)

The next Democratic nominee is one of these six. In reality, the invisible primary will weed out similar candidates - I don't think more than 2 of Harris, Booker, Gillibrand will run and I don't think more than 2 of Sanders, Merkley, Warren will run. So I think these six will be playing for positioning over the next 3 years.

Hirono is unfortunately probably too sick to run, but I think you might be underselling Schatz here. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom