• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mnuchin, criminal justice, said he feels Clinton donors are coalescing behind her and that makes him feel uneasy. You know, BernieBro stuff.

She was a tough as nails criminal prosecutor but I will be the first one to tell you, as someone for whom prison reform is the biggest pet issue, that there's little that can happen at the federal level and most of the stuff I care about starts and ends on the governor's desk.

also Gillibrand's complete bullshit excuse on PSA for her immigration flip is soooo well done. She's a really good bullshitter. (Not unlike her six month campaign to conflate the public option with single payer!)

Underestimate her at your peril
Link?

kirblar

also Gillibrand's complete bullshit excuse on PSA for her immigration flip is soooo well done. She's a really good bullshitter. (Not unlike her six month campaign to conflate the public option with single payer!)

Her answer to the gun control flipflop going from a rural area to State Senator was what sold me on her. Obviously bullshit, but holy hell was it good bullshit.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Gillibrand's addition to that bill is brilliant.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Been saying this for a while. She's really good at maneuvering and is generally a half-step ahead of everyone else in terms of reading the political winds.

Gillibrand's addition to that bill is brilliant.

No kidding. It could probably stand as it's own solo bill if need be.

kirblar

If/when Harris runs, I really hope she gets a better social media team for twitter. I'm not trying to be mean/funny when I say this- her account doesn't come off "smooth" at all when I run across it in the way it should.

JP_

Banned
gNN1p4U.jpg

Lee statue coming down in Dallas right now

Teggy

Think trump doesn't bother going on the ballot in California in 2020? Although they should have made it 10 years.

The California State Assembly on Thursday passed a bill that would require all presidential candidates to release their tax returns prior to being placed on the state's ballot.

The bill, called the Presidential Tax Transparency and Accountability Act, passed the state assembly on a 42-18 vote and will now head to the state Senate for a concurrence vote before being sent to the Governor for his signature.

"President Trump's blatant disregard for the tradition of releasing tax returns is dangerous to our democracy," Senator Mike McGuire (D), one of the authors of the bill, said in a statement. "For decades, every President has put their personal beliefs aside and put our country first and released their returns. "

"SB 149 helps to reestablish desperately needed transparency in the White House, and we are looking forward to seeing the Governor's signature on the bill."

The bill would require all presidential candidates to release the last five years of their tax returns in order to appear on the California ballot.

kirblar

This is big. If trip doesn't get on the ballot to avoid this he will end up crushing down ballot Republicans.
Yes. This is why we should be passing these laws. Both the right thing to do ethically and politically.

Also, lololol http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/14/inside-trumps-democratic-deals-daca-schumer-pelosi-242745
After months of hammering Republicans over their failure to repeal Obamacare, President Donald Trump huddled this week with moderate House Democrats and Republicans who were trying to sell him on a fix to the health care law.

Upon hearing it had bipartisan support, the president had one question: “Can I call it ‘repeal and replace’?”

“You can call it whatever you want, Mr. President,” a Democratic lawmaker told Trump, eliciting laughter throughout the room.

Pixieking

Banned
https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/908502881879326720

Andy Slavitt‏Verified account @ASlavitt 13m13 minutes ago

BREAKING: Sorry to say I just heard Graham Cassidy now has a plan to get to the floor for a vote this month. 1/

Bill sponsors have been trying to get leadership behind them. Now, Defense finishes up Monday and here are actions I'm hearing... 2/

Timelines being laid out, leadership conducting a a real whip count, press conference w governors being planned, pushing CBO. 3/

Still needs Byrdbath, CBO score & arm twisting, but they have clock time if they push it. As a reminder.👇 4/

Eh I was a Hillary shill and I’m not really sold on Kamala.
I'm really not either. But I think Andrew Sullivan had a good point, there's something about the left shitting on Harris this far in advance that transcends legitimate concerns about her candidacy to Hillary-esque bitch crackers.

Really don't see how Graham-Cassidy passes in the end. The House just went on recess for eleven days.

Democrats will pass an ACA fix bill, Trump will call it repeal and replace, everyone wins (except congressional Rs because fuck you).

Ogodei

Apparently the senate voted against medical research funding amendment for the NDAA. Over the last decade or so, DoD-funded medical research has advanced several innovative treatments for multiple diseases ($80 to $90 million a year for prostate cancer, for instance). Durbin had sponsored an amendment to maintain the funding for FY18 (after expanding funding for FY17), but now they're going to do away with it entirely.

My ex-employer is kind of distraught about it. But since they laid me off five weeks ago, i'm trying to figure out how much i care.

Why do you keep reading political activists' Twitter accounts and panicking? Were lessons not learned from May through July?

Edit: it's even the same exact Twitter account that gave you guys daily heart attacks for four months?! Why do this to yourselves?

Blader

Mnuchin, criminal justice, said he feels Clinton donors are coalescing behind her and that makes him feel uneasy. You know, BernieBro stuff.

This is so annoying, because I was on the Kamala bandwagon months before any of these fucking donors!

I haven't listened to it yet, but I remember she was on Axe Files a few months ago and basically said she evolved into more liberal positions on immigration and guns because she just flat out didn't know enough about them as a congresswoman and had very insular views, but then became exposed to more about it when she moved into the Senate. Which seems like a perfectly legitimate, non-bullshit reason to me? Unless she gave a different story on PSA.

Grexeno

I know they mean well but anytime some activist posts on Twitter how close a repeal bill is to coming to the floor/passing I'm like:

4zmAHSC.gif

watershed

Banned
Trump uses Twitter exclusively to talk to his base. He knows that his believers will dismiss anything they see/read in the media even if it's a direct quote from him. They will find some way to dismiss it so he can bash DACA on twitter and has base will eat it up and at the same time say he will protect DACA immigrants to the media and his base will do the mental gymnastics to dismiss it.

Edit: Also, Paul Ryan is such an ineffectual coward. He can't even criticize Trump without also kissing his ass.

Why do you keep reading political activists' Twitter accounts and panicking? Were lessons not learned from May through July?

Edit: it's even the same exact Twitter account that gave you guys daily heart attacks for four months?! Why do this to yourselves?

It's the name of the game bruh!

Right now I"m not remotely concerned

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

I don't believe for a second this thing will see the light of day. I'm not seeing panicking anywhere.

This is totally not going to backfire on Dems.
There is no downside for Dems. Anyone who would enter a primary for the Democrat presidential candidate won't have stuff to hide in their tax returns. They all release multiple years every time. It's the expectation of the party to do so.

I don't believe for a second this thing will see the light of day. I'm not seeing panicking anywhere.
This guy's track record for ACA repeal news is spotty at best

I mean, this is the community that had a multi-page freakout over a tweet that literally just said something about McConnell smiling.

DTC

Man I love Kamala Harris. She's great when she just takes herself a bit less seriously. Her laugh is awesome and she's good at joking around with people. Very sharp and smart too.

It may seem weird that I'm focusing so much on her personality traits, but a campaign vs Trump is naturally going to turn into a personality war lol, and that's where Hillary particularly struggled.

Pixieking

Banned

Only reason I post his stuff is because
Ran Medicare, Medicaid & ACA for President Obama. @bpc_bipartisan, Senior Advisor. @usatoday, Columnist. Opinions mine.

Whilst his news may be inaccurate at times, he is experienced and knowledgable about the details. I'm not going "ohmahgawd we're doomed!", more just posting something that may be of interest. :)

Edit: Abusive dick defends sexually assualting wanker

In the interview released this week, Mayweather, who has an extensive history of violence against women, said Trump's comment are how a "real man" talks.

We've talked long and hard about how Trump has normalised racism, but gone into less detail about how he's normalised sexual assault and sexism.

Blader

Only reason I post his stuff is because

Whilst his news may be inaccurate at times, he is experienced and knowledgable about the details. I'm not going "ohmahgawd we're doomed!", more just posting something that may be of interest. :)

Andy Slavitt knows a lot and means well, but his constantly sounding the alarm is going to, if it hasn't already, exhaust the people needed to protest ACA repeals.

Pixieking

Banned
Andy Slavitt knows a lot and means well, but his constantly sounding the alarm is going to, if it hasn't already, exhaust the people needed to protest ACA repeals.

Yeah, fair point. This is something that Republicans will try again in the future, so raising alarm bells now when there's almost-no-chance of it passing isn't the best strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom