• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

I'm only worried if it actually goes up for a vote. Can't imagine McConnell will let them vote again if he doesn't have 50.

Yeah, at this point there is no reason to call for a vote unless they are 110% certain that they absolutely positively have 50 votes. McConnell and the GOP don't need another embarrassment like the one McCain handed to them. It'll be even more evidence that they can't govern despite controlling congress.

Kevinroc

I think Topher Spiro summed it up pretty well.

https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/909517356015202304

News coverage of the prospects of Graham-Cassidy is tricky to calibrate properly.

The threat is real and serious—so it absolutely should be covered. But it's been this way for weeks.

Reports of lots of "activity" - calls, arm-twisting, etc - that is to be expected. WH staff and Graham/Cassidy want to manufacture momentum.

The fact remains - this hasn't changed - McCain could violate his principle of regular order tomorrow. Rand Paul is wacky and unpredictable.

(Although I would disagree with Spiro's assessment of Rand Paul. He's pretty easy to figure out. He's a fake who claims one thing and does another.)

watershed

Banned
It sucks that people's healthcare and future access to healthcare is under constant threat from republicans. They are fucking with people's lives and eager to do so.

kess

Huh, the local PBS affiliate has some dude on telling people to keep their money away from "greedy Uncle Sam" and quoting Arthur Fucking Godfrey on tax policy

sigh

Don't forget, the bipartisan bill is supposed to show its face this week, too.

I appreciate some Dems signing on to single payer but now isn't the time imo. The party should have been full steam ahead behind a bipartisan fix, at least until the end of September, for obvious reasons.

I agree with this.

Democrats chose a poor time to do a single payer loyalty test. Now Republicans can cast Democrats as only having an "extreme" alternative, so it might make it easier for them to squeeze through the Repeal.

I agree with this.

Democrats chose a poor time to do a single payer loyalty test. Now Republicans can cast Democrats as only having an "extreme" alternative, so it might make it easier for them to squeeze through the Repeal.
I disagree. That exact same argument can be used against the Republicans. If they supposedly want a fix bill, why are they fucking around with Graham-Cassidy?

I don't think single-payer is playing into this at all because everyone in Congress knows it has no chance of becoming law anyway. Anything that becomes law will either be a partisan-line GOP replacement that passes by the skin of its teeth or a fix bill that draws votes from both parties. A Dem-only bill sponsored by 1/6th of the Senate is going nowhere and is not in serious discussion.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I agree with this.

I'll argue the opposite: while Republicans are trying to again ram through legislation that rips health care away from millions and allows insurance companies to skyrocket premiums on a whim, democrats were actively trying to offer healthcare to everyone.

I agree with this.

Republicans will do this anyways, Obama using a watered down conservative healthcare plan did not prevent Obamacare from being attacked as extremist socialized medicine.

Republicans will do this anyways, Obama using a watered down conservative healthcare plan did not prevent Obamacare from being attacked as extremist socialized medicine.

Part of this is because a black guy with a foreign name was backing it, but I agree overall. The GOP won't be interested in good faith bills for decades at a minimum, so no point in caring.

Not

Banned
That was really long for so little payoff. Or maybe it just seemed that way because I had to read it in spurts.

No, it made its point. Most of the articles were forced to ignore or dismiss statistic-backed points that Coates offered comprehensively in order to make their "rebuttal."

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
That article had me look up the original "The First White President" thread.

Sadly, it's only 7 pages, but was bumped with that article by Ralf Michaels just a bit ago.
Amazingly, it does not relitigate the primary.

I worry what Dems can do in 2024, if a more competent Trump runs for office...
Appealing, basically exclusively, to the White demo is a losing proposition longterm, but I suspect things won't have changed enough by 2024.

I wonder what the likelihood of winning is for a democrat running against someone competent, that would use "the Trump platform". Especially without the "raceless antiracism" Coates talks about.

It's just depressing.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Sadly, it's only 7 pages, but was bumped with that article by Ralf Michaels just a bit ago.

Appealing, basically exclusively, to the White demo is a losing proposition longterm, but I suspect things won't have changed enough by 2024.

I wonder what the likelihood of winning is for a democrat running against someone competent, that would use "the Trump platform". Especially without the "raceless antiracism" Coates talks about.

It's just depressing.
IMO white racial resentment/supremacy is not exactly a problem for the presidency. Clinton dealt with mounds and mounds of bullshit and some real unpopularity problems and still lost by like 70k votes across three states. Trump 2 is possible if the backlash to healthcare reform is really bad, but in my mind the larger more persistent problem is that they represent a re-energized and significant political faction within every other part of the political system. Not that they ever really went anywhere, but their enthusiasm now is...concerning

royalan

It's just depressing.

I agree with Mark Burnett when he said that without The Apprentice, there would be no President Donald Trump.

As cynical as I am, I don't think it'll be nearly as easy for just any politician to follow the Trump playbook. Just as Hillary was damaged by decades worth of Republican smears and a few self-made gafs, Donald Trump was helped by decades worth being portrayed in popular media as an intelligent, successful mogul who only ever won and had all the answers. A lifetime of unchecked and uncriticized dogwhistles and even blatant racism. Throw in the Birther movement and Russian collusion...and really Donald Trump was the perfect storm candidate.

Not to say it isn't possible, but it's hard to see who the successor to Trumpism could be at the moment.

Sean Spicer at the Emmy's is some fucked up shit.

Yeah. Incredibly gross.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I hope it really was just a "stars align" presidency.

I don't want to go back to ignoring institutional racism, while not supporting it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I hope it really was just a "stars align" presidency.

I don't want to go back to ignoring institutional racism, while not supporting it.

I think it was mostly just Hillary. But the fact that she did so well in Florida and still lost is a little scary. There are a lot of hickos out there.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
mNbIIlp.png

Uhh

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think it was mostly just Hillary. But the fact that she did so well in Florida and still lost is a little scary. There are a lot of hickos out there.

I don't think anyone on the Dem bench could have beaten Trump, but that Florida result is still scary as fuck. If it wasn't just a one-off event that state might be out of reach for the foreseeable future.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

It's just depressing.

2016 doesn't erase 2008 or 2012. Rebuilding the Obama coalition is possible. I don't know if Coates' pessimism is necessarily about the future of the democratic party, but instead just about the future of race.

Let's say a democrat wins the presidency after playing a whole lot of identity politics with the white working class, but policy-wise they continue doing what Obama was doing. That's a much better situation than today, but it still says a lot about the country that race is such a driving factor yet you can't even get people to speak out about it.

How do you change the situation where like 70% of the country are either racists or actively ignore racism? "How do democrats regain power" is a relatively easy question to answer compared to that. I suppose Democrats can take on a some criminal justice and education reform to help with the situation, but politically they are extremely far away from getting to the level of desegregation and affirmative action that might eventually change the situation.

On the optomistic end you have Obama, who never gives up an opportunity to remind people how far we've come, and to not be disillusioned by the slowness of incremental change. That Coates is even able to write these things for the Atlantic seems like a step forward from the 2000s. Even as certain parts are clearly moving backwards, others seem to be moving forward.

Sean Spicer is a piece of shit. He was framed to be a poor sap having to deal with Trump, but the guy was on TV way before that defending everything he did.

royalan

I'm laughing bitterly at my twitter feed right now, at all the pundits (frankly, mostly white) feigning outrage at Sean Spicer being at the Emmys, when just months ago many of them were the main ones pushing the "AWWWW LOL POOR SPICEY!!!" narrative everytime that shithead stood at the podium.

I mean, really, what the fuck did you expect would happen? Congrats, he's your guy.

chadskin

Paranoia in the White house that everyone is wearing a wire to record for Mueller lol https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/...-cobb.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&referer=

The friction escalated in recent days after Mr. Cobb was overheard by a reporter for The New York Times discussing the dispute during a lunchtime conversation at a popular Washington steakhouse. Mr. Cobb was heard talking about a White House lawyer he deemed “a McGahn spy” and saying Mr. McGahn had “a couple documents locked in a safe” that he seemed to suggest he wanted access to. He also mentioned a colleague whom he blamed for “some of these earlier leaks,” and who he said “tried to push Jared out,” meaning Jared Kushner, the president’s son-in-law and senior adviser, who has been a previous source of dispute for the legal team.

After The Times contacted the White House about the situation, Mr. McGahn privately erupted at Mr. Cobb, according to people informed about the confrontation who asked not to be named describing internal matters. John F. Kelly, the White House chief of staff, sharply reprimanded Mr. Cobb for his indiscretion, the people said.

Wow, that's fucking crazy.

Zolo

I'm laughing bitterly at my twitter feed right now, at all the pundits (frankly, mostly white) feigning outrage at Sean Spicer being at the Emmys, when just months ago many of them were the main ones pushing the "AWWWW LOL POOR SPICEY!!!" narrative everytime that shithead stood at the podium.

I mean, really, what the fuck did you expect would happen? Congrats, he's your guy.

I dislike the guy, but I always saw him as a fairly small fish in a horrid organization. I did dislike that one skit portraying Sanders as more competent than Spicer though.

royalan

I dislike the guy, but I always saw him as a fairly small fish in a horrid organization. I did dislike that one skit portraying Sanders as more competent than Spicer though.

A fairly small fish in a horrid organization, is still a part of a horrid organization. They're all terrible. Including Spicer.

There were a lot of people who didn't find Spicer funny. We tend to be the voices overlooked until our votes are required, though.

Jombie

Seeing these constant Luthor Strange / Roy Moore ads takes all of my strength not to cut my wrists. It's like living on Columbia in Bioshock Infinite.

God I hope the knives are out like that report alludes to.

Trump is going to destroy the Republican Party by 2020.

Pessimism: the last time that happened, the Tea Party appeared and the GOP lashed itself on this highway to hell.

Moderate Right/Centrist or it risks repeating history in 22/24

A fairly small fish in a horrid organization, is still a part of a horrid organization. They're all terrible. Including Spicer.

There were a lot of people who didn't find Spicer funny. We tend to be the voices overlooked until our votes are required, though.

The logic leap between "he's a loser lying to us who got used and thrown under the bus by the Mango In Chief" to being invited to fucking Harvard and fucking Emmys bothers me like hell too. I mean, saying a few "awww...Spicey didn't get ta meet da Pope!" is one thing, going out of one's way to give speaking roles to some low pay spox is...alarming.

Very alarming...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom