• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of whataboutism today by RT and Sputnik on the 1A show (public radio), check the podcast later if you want to check it out. I'm too busy working to write up more.

Teggy

Senator Rand Paul @RandPaul
Graham/Cassidy keeps Obamacare and tells the states to run it. No thanks.
9:49 AM · Sep 18, 2017

Is that "no thanks I won't vote for it" or "no thanks but I'll still vote for it?"

Blader

Re: Graham-Cassidy

It seems like the traction for this bill picked up in just a couple days, whereas for weeks and weeks we'd heard how McConnell and other Senate Republicans just wanted to move on from healthcare. Is it likely that Trump shunning McConnell and Ryan for getting Chinese with Chuck and Nancy, and Roy Moore potentially unseating Luther Strange in the Alabama primary because GOP voters there are pissed about the failure of ACA repeal, is helping to build support for the Graham-Cassidy bill? In other words, making one last play at repeal and replace to fend off conservative primary challengers and win back favor with Trump?

studyguy

DKA8i12V4AA-ZM8.jpg:large
wat

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It's as bad for Obama to partake in revolving door politics as anyone else, but it's hard to care at this point in time with everything else going on.

I still contend that paid speeches is a non-issue.

You want to talk money's influence in politics, the real meat is in campaign finance reform. Speeches are bad optics but have zero influence.

People are idiots.

Few new polls today.

VA Gov:

William and Mary:

Northam (D): 44
Gillespie: (R): 39

Suffolk:

Northam (D): 42
Gillespie (D): 42

And Glub for Growth (the super right wing PAC) did a poll of ND Sen with the Treasurer since 2004, Kelly Schmidt. Never even seen her name floated before.

Schmidt (R): 48
Heitkamp (D) 44

I still contend that paid speeches is a non-issue.

You want to talk money's influence in politics, the real meat is in campaign finance reform. Speeches are bad optics but have zero influence.

People are idiots.
They are both related and problematic. Idk how you can say paid speeches have zero influence. Taking hundreds of millions of dollars from wealthy financial firms over the course of a decade or so can clearly influence people.

But I agree with the notion it's sort of hard to care right now given everything else going on. And that the current president has the most financial conflicts of interest of any person in public service history. And literally owns financial stakes in adversirial foreign governments.

But going forward we really shouldn't just dismiss financial conflicts of interests just due to partisanship. Because I'd like our candidates to actually be able to campaign against someone like Trump's multiple conflicts of interest instead of just largely not talking about it due to them being guilty of similar behaviors as well

Donald Trump, super Christian.

Many of the church members gathered at Bojangles’ last week pointed to the president’s Christian faith, saying he brought the Bible and prayer back into the White House. Even though Trump rarely attends church himself, he frequently talked about religion on the campaign trail, promising that with him in the White House, Christians would once again feel free to openly say “Merry Christmas.”

“President Trump has talked more about Christian values than any of the last two or three presidents that we’ve had,” said Wayne Overton, 79, who is retired from the Postal Service and now raises cows on a farm a few miles outside of town and tours the country in a motor home. “And I admire him for picking the vice president that he picked. If something happened, our country would be in good hands.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...1076f6d6152_story.html?utm_term=.10ff70e0c230

I just can't with these people anymore.

“President Trump has talked more about Christian values than any of the last two or three presidents that we’ve had,”

I can't even fathom thinking that. W Bush was a very devout Christian president. The idea that Trump is expressing or advocating Christian values is laughable.

Teggy

Benjy Sarlin @BenjySarlin
McCain tells @GarrettHaake he wants bipartisan bill with wks of hearings. BUT may "reluctantly" back Graham-Cassidy if AZ Gov approves
11:50 AM · Sep 18, 2017

Welp

Zolo

”President Trump has talked more about Christian values than any of the last two or three presidents that we've had,"

I can't even fathom thinking that. W Bush was a very devout Christian president. The idea that Trump is expressing or advocating Christian values is laughable.
These are incredibly, easily manipulated individuals. Like these are the people phone scams target.

Obama and Biden spoke in a very nuanced and thoughtful way about their faith. Hillary was extremely vocal about how her faith influenced her, and Kaine eloquently described how his faith weighed on him while making policy decisions. But Trump wants to make people say Mery Christmas so there’s that.

Also yeah, McCain is definitely backing this. If he’s in, it’s a lock.

Diablos

So he wants the AZ Gov to be the fall guy. What kind of bullshit is this? Who cares what the Governor thinks? This is the entire country we are talking about.

Ducey must be getting lobbied to hell and back right now. Disgusting, absolutely disgusting.

Blader

Obama and Biden spoke in a very nuanced and thoughtful way about their faith. Hillary was extremely vocal about how her faith influenced her, and Kaine eloquently described how his faith weighed on him while making policy decisions. But Trump wants to make people say Mery Christmas so there’s that.

Also yeah, McCain is definitely backing this. If he’s in, it’s a lock.

Forget nuanced and thoughtful, Bush said that God told him to invade Iraq!

The white evangelical community is this country's most morally bankrupt group of people.

Ac30

Few new polls today.

VA Gov:

William and Mary:

Suffolk:

And Glub for Growth (the super right wing PAC) did a poll of ND Sen with the Treasurer since 2004, Kelly Schmidt. Never even seen her name floated before.

Heitkamp (D) 44

Those VA Gov polls are much closer than I'd like :/

They are both related and problematic. Idk how you can say paid speeches have zero influence. Taking hundreds of millions of dollars from wealthy financial firms over the course of a decade or so can clearly influence people.

But I agree with the notion it's sort of hard to care right now given everything else going on. And that the current president has the most financial conflicts of interest of any person in public service history. And literally owns financial stakes in adversirial foreign governments.

But going forward we really shouldn't just dismiss financial conflicts of interests just due to partisanship. Because I'd like our candidates to actually be able to campaign against someone like Trump's multiple conflicts of interest instead of just largely not talking about it due to them being guilty of similar behaviors as well

Well, we were discussing Obama, but I'd really like to know who got hundreds of millions of dollars from Wall Street for speaking fees. Over 15 years the Clintons combined made a lot, but Wall St was only a fraction of that.

That's why this is dumb-- the scale is way, way off, and the suggestion of influence doesn't pass the minutest amount of scrutiny. The speeches paid for by Wall St have similar fees to those paid for by colleges. They amount to only a fraction of the speeches given overall. And even if they were bribes, why would a political figure agree to them, when they are getting paid the same amounts for speeches to other institutions with no strings attached? And why would these institutions pay similar fees to retired politicians like W?

If people want to influence politicians, they don't have to launder it through 250K speaking fee-sized chunks. They just have to write a check to a blind SuperPac. This notion that Goldman Sachs is buying sway with these speeches makes no sense when there is a straight line to influence that's 100x bigger.

I say "people are dumb" because the root of the issue is how much these people get paid to speak. You may not like it, but that's the market at work vying for an extremely rare resource.

Few new polls today.

VA Gov:

William and Mary:

Suffolk:

Heitkamp (D) 44

If Northam loses or wins by just 1-2 points, bye bye Dems 2018/2010.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/17/us/politics/trump-lawyers-white-house-russia-mcgahn-ty-cobb.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

ension between the two comes as life in the White House is shadowed by the investigation. Not only do Mr. Trump, Mr. Kushner and Mr. McGahn all have lawyers, but so do other senior officials. The uncertainty has grown to the point that White House officials privately express fear that colleagues may be wearing a wire to surreptitiously record conversations for Mr. Mueller.

"fear that colleagues may be wearing a wire"

" wearing a wire"

I'm probably late to this. but my god, does Mueller and Mueller's Team have them panicked

sangreal

Theyre not taking money. It's not a donation. Theyre being paid for a job. Specifically the job of granting prestige. Neither side of this relationship actually gives a shit about the orher

Blader

I like to see how the mind works to rationalize something like that.

Trump is president, therefore life is hopeless.

Northam losing in November would be a huge fucking disappointment, and completely unacceptable given the circumstances around this race. But it would hardly signal the end of the Democratic Party.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Donald Trump, super Christian.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...1076f6d6152_story.html?utm_term=.10ff70e0c230

I just can't with these people anymore.

These people are NOT "manipulated." They're willfully ignorant and I'll argue they aren't Christian because of these lies.

That's not good news at all. If he votes for this after that recent "no" vote, all respect is gone.

If Northam loses or wins by just 1-2 points, bye bye Dems 2018/2010.

LOL no.

Very rarely do I think something is the ultimate "political suicide" move.

Enacting this health care plan IS political suicide for republicans and I think would pretty much guarantee a blue wave in both 2018 and 2020.

Crocodile

Ludicrously? Isn't this simply a delay tactic?

"Ludicrous" is being ironic here. If the GOP actually cared about governing and the outcome of its votes, it would get a full CBO score before even dreaming of trying to pass this.

Sigh, I'm getting tired of having to call my senators every couple of weeks to not kill millions of Americans. Back to daily calling I go. Fuck off GOP.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
In millions of dollars, how much each state gains/loses in the Cassidy et al. health care bill:

DKBYkFvWAAANOFw.jpg:small

This has "COMPLETE DISASTER" written all over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom