• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ac30

It's a question of who do you trust: a respected intelligent representative of the European Union or President Racist McLiarbaby?

President Racist McLiarBaby hasn't responded to the claim yet, though I suspect he'll confirm they're getting A BETTER DEAL on Twitter any time now

It's a question of who do you trust: a respected intelligent representative of the European Union or President Racist McLiarbaby?
It's technically his administration. Given how these things always go. Latest breaking news/scandal releases. WH administration denies the whole thing. Trump takes to Twitter and throws his entire team under the bus and contradicts them.

Tamanon

Banned
President Racist McLiarBaby hasn't responded to the claim yet, though I suspect he'll confirm they're getting A BETTER DEAL on Twitter any time now

"I have long maintained that we needed a better deal. So I made one"

Ignoring the fact that everybody said he set the goals the whole time.

Pixieking

Banned
That Paris Accord news is weird... What is going on?

Didn't see this mentioned:

Mueller obtained a search warrant for Facebook ad buys, say WSJ and CNN.

Found via a former Federal Prosecutor's Twitter

https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/status/909046433931841537
Renato Mariotti‏Verified account @renato_mariotti

THREAD: Why news that Mueller obtained a search warrant for Facebook content may be the biggest news in the case since the Manafort raid.

Diablos

If you weren't sure before you better be now: This administration and all the dynamics at play makes for better drama, intrigue and turmoil than the best of any House of Cards episode/characters/season.

Maengun1

lmfao if trump signs a dream act and uncancels the paris accord by the end of 2017

I mean I'm in the "I'll believe it when it happens" camp with him, but I will take rumors of good news over actual bad news any day

lol that he spent over 2 years infuriating everyone on earth except ~the base~ and now is actually flirting with "hey, fuck it, let's shit on them too" <3

I'll die if we actually reach the point where McConnell and Ryan are trying to scrounge up votes for impeachment while dems are like "hey let's just wait for 2020.....see what happens...."

have nancy get him back on the phone, maybe "reconsider" gorsuch while we're at it

Diablos

lmfao if trump signs a dream act and uncancels the paris accord by the end of 2017

I mean I'm in the "I'll believe it when it happens" camp with him, but I will take rumors of good news over actual bad news any day

if he spends over 2 years infuriating everyone on earth except ~the base~ and then is like "hey, fuck it, let's shit on them too" <3

I'll die if we actually reach the point where McConnell and Ryan are trying to scrounge up votes for impeachment while dems are like "hey let's just wait for 2020.....see what happens...."
I can see that happening.

If Trump would keep walking everything back (remains to be seen) and the investigation keeps going, at some point the GOP might just be like "fuck it, you know what? We're probably doomed in 2018 and certainly 2020 anyway, so let's just impeach his stupid ass and let Pence ram through as much as he can."

I can see it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I've been out all day--what is the latest with the health care bill? Al Franken just tweeted it was "gaining steam."

Maengun1

I've been out all day--what is the latest with the health care bill? Al Franken just tweeted it was "gaining steam."

The Rs who have been pushing this all year are like "omg we're close.....it's happening....." and the usual other side people are airing out their panic horns, but idk.

Rand Paul still says he's a 100% no, McCain was still saying his usual "they need to do it bipartisan" thing, and Collins/Murkowski have shown zero sign that anything has changed for them. If the bill doesn't pass within the next 13 days, it is dead yet again.

I don't feel like another round of worry so I'm trying not to even pay attention this time (I have 2 D senators anyway so).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Not a damn thing. He knows something most other people do not I presume

The Rs who have been pushing this all year are like "omg we're close.....it's happening....." and the usual other side people are airing out their panic horns, but idk.

Rand Paul still says he's a 100% no, McCain was still saying his usual "they need to do it bipartisan" thing, and Collins/Murkowski have shown zero sign that anything has changed for them. If the bill doesn't pass within the next 13 days, it is dead yet again.

I don't feel like another round of worry so I'm trying not to even pay attention this time (I have 2 D senators anyway so).

Thanks to both.

I'm not overly concerned about it, either--just wondered if something new had prompted Franken to tweet that. If that CNN report about Ryan/McConnell not even bothering with it is correct, it's going to be an interesting week.

Diablos

The problem is you can't trust a single thing they say.

Rand Paul is a firm no... so he says.
McCain yearns for regular order... so he says.
McConnell isn't as interested this time... so he says.

They turn on a dime. This time will be no different. I hope it fails but if Schumer and Franken say it's gaining steam, it's probably gaining steam.

They always act like they aren't interested to some degree and then bam, here's a bill front and center for you.

The last 324234 times they tried the repeal, it was "gaining momentum" and then the CBO report hit saying 20+ million off insurance and all that momentum died instantly

The fact that they're preemptively saying the CBO are wrong tells me that they know the CBO score will be disastrous for the bill.

They also only have 13 days to do what they were unable to do in 2 months.

Grexeno

I saw innumerable tweets in the leadup to that vote that clearly were crying wolf to drum up phone calls. Now actual Senators are getting in on the act.

Teggy

The WSJ article is very weird. Generally a publication of that size will not publish something like this without significant evidence. I didn't read the article so I don't know if they asked the WH for comment before publishing?

Diablos

The last 324234 times they tried the repeal, it was "gaining momentum" and then the CBO report hit saying 20+ million off insurance and all that momentum died instantly

The fact that they're preemptively saying the CBO are wrong tells me that they know the CBO score will be disastrous for the bill.

They also only have 13 days to do what they were unable to do in 2 months.
I hear you, but this isn't dead until it's dead.

I know we all hate talking about Hillary Clinton, but Krugman tweeted a story about the media cycle that was part of what sunk her campaign, which focuses on "the coal gaffe."
https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2017/9/15/16306158/hillary-clinton-hall-of-mirrors

Basically, the cycle goes:
1. Thing - some nothing burger that gets blown up by the Newsmaxes and Breitbarts and Foxes.

2. Scandal About The Thing - outlets like CNN, the NYT then report about it by proxy by reporting that right-wing media are reporting about a thing about Clinton.

3. And when that's worn out the story becomes about how she responded to the scandal about the thing.

It's probably fair to say that the political press was (and is) uniquely susceptible to conspiratorial nonsense about the Clintons. But I don't think the Clinton rules were (or are) entirely confined to the Clintons; they are a larger problem. The right has built a machine dedicated to mainstreaming nonsense, and the mainstream media has proven woefully inadequate as any kind of serious check or filter.

This may be something unique to Hillary Clinton, as still the biggest journalistic scalp around apparently. But I imagine 1 and 2 will apply to basically anyone that runs, 3 may not if they are better at responding like Gillary.

I guess 1 is possible if they are literally squeaky clean and then never do anything ever that could be picked up by the right wing news bubble. But that seems unlikely, because even if that were the case, they'd just make something up.

Kusagari

Rand did the same song and dance last time. If it comes to a vote, he's voting yes.

It's likely going to come down to McCain again if it happens.

Diablos

Rand did the same song and dance last time. If it comes to a vote, he's voting yes.

It's likely going to come down to McCain again if it happens.
I really think it's all just a ruse, ultimately -- this "song and dance" -- that is intended to calm nerves on the other side and let them advance to the next step of the process while many just shrug it off. They're a bunch of dishonest fucks with no principals, they'll lie to your face as they also stab you in the back. Rinse, wash, repeat

Ogodei

Thanks to both.

I'm not overly concerned about it, either--just wondered if something new had prompted Franken to tweet that. If that CNN report about Ryan/McConnell not even bothering with it is correct, it's going to be an interesting week.

I think Democrats are just trying to make sure this doesn't slip by unnoticed.

Cassidy is probably the biggest snake of them all, although it certainly is a 49-way race to the bottom on that one.

(I'm excluding Collins, Murkowski and McCain from that count because they actually stuck to their guns on the skinny repeal vote. Even if Collins and Murkowski saw their votes as freebies, the important thing is they didn't flip to Yes when leadership suddenly didn't have 50)

Diablos

Cassidy sucks. He stood there with Collins early this year acting like he had a 'moderate' approach to tweaking the ACA and now look at what he's doing. And the way he said he bragged to his wife about how his speech the other night was one of the best he may have ever given is just absurd given what he may do.

How do you think spineless Paul Ryan will say it's a good thing that we're back in the Paris Accords now that it's been confirmed we're not leaving?

chadskin

DJ7JQwTV4AA5Gnt.jpg

Now I can't get the Elton John song out of my head...

Trump’s Tweets this AM:

Kim Jung Un = Rocket Man
Trump hauling a palate of Oreos across the ocean
Only true Americans support Trump
Trump hitting Hillary with a golf ball

And we’re still going, folks!

Ernest

Banned
Heck there was a mass shooting in Plano that left eight people dead the other day. No comments and next to no coverage. Have mass shootings become so ubiquitous that they're not even worth commenting or reporting on? I bet if the shooter was Muslim Trump would've had something to say!

Pixieking

Banned
President Moon and Rocket Man in the same sentence is bothering me.

The obvious answer is, he couldn't remember Kim Jong-un's name, and his thought process went "Moon > Rocket Tests > Rocket Man".

Late edit:

A definite shift in the new ACA repeal bill - Sanders and Warren have both tweeted about it, warning that it may have the votes and needs to be stopped.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Heck there was a mass shooting in Plano that left eight people dead the other day. No comments and next to no coverage. Have mass shootings become so ubiquitous that they're not even worth commenting or reporting on?

Yes, basically.

Ernest said:
I bet if the shooter was Muslim Trump would've had something to say!

Yes, basically.

Plinko

If McCain votes for anything like this after shooting down the last one because of lack of formality, then there's really nothing left to say at this point. CBO should take care of this, but who knows. Let's see how the week progresses.

Still puzzled as to why they want this. Wasn't it like 80% of people against the last one, and this one is apparently just as bad if not worse.

Also curious as to what is happening behind the scenes (if anything) that would make democrats like Warren, Harris, Franken, and Schumer publicly say this. Seems odd to me.

Diablos

If McCain votes for anything like this after shooting down the last one because of lack of formality, then there's really nothing left to say at this point. CBO should take care of this, but who knows. Let's see how the week progresses.

Still puzzled as to why they want this. Wasn't it like 80% of people against the last one, and this one is apparently just as bad if not worse.

Also curious as to what is happening behind the scenes (if anything) that would make democrats like Warren, Harris, Franken, and Schumer publicly say this. Seems odd to me.
Whoever is working with Lamar Alexander on the bipartisan fix effort probably saw something. Maybe talks are breaking down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom