• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Assuming the option becomes available, should Democrats pursue bipartisan tax reform with Trump and the GOP? Or does it play to their advantage to force Republicans to pursue a party-line vote on tax reform so they're forced to use the budget reconciliation for the next year? Rather than pursue a plan that would get 60 votes and let them reserve reconciliation for another go at healthcare in the next fiscal year.
It really depends on whats in it.

Blader

@AP: BREAKING: Trump says he's `not happy' with Health and Human Services Secretary Price, is looking closely at his private plane use.

I seem to recall some story from a few months back that indicated Trump would lean toward letting Price go if AHCA failed.

Given that ACA repeal has failed numerous times AND this whole incident (which Trump did not come to Price's defense over; just said "we're looking into it"), Price getting the boot is a serious possibility I think.

tbm24

This interview trump had outside the White House. Holy shit, I mean I’m not surprised, just man dude just rambles on and on and talks like nothing actually matters. Casual as fuck as he talks about Puerto Rico.

I misses this last night.

There was one final special election on Tuesday in South Carolina, but there was little suspense here. Democrat Rosalyn Henderson Myers defeated Republican Michael Fowler 91-9 in HD-31, though this is still a huge overperformance from Clinton's 72-24 victory here or Obama's 79-20 win.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
@AP: BREAKING: Trump says he'll work with Dems on health care and is considering order to let people buy insurance across state lines.

Am watching him speak now. He said the EO is already written and will "probably be signed next week".

Sure it is, and sure it will.

Franken pointed out in his book there's nothing actually stopping insurance companies from selling across state lines, but none of them find it worthwhile enough to do it.

Seems like another not-really-a-solution that conservatives will parrot when confronted with the fact that they have no answers on healthcare. Like tort reform which would save like 5 billion dollars over ten years. Yeah that'll work

I misses this last night.
Not that this has any bearing on our ability to swing it, but South Carolina would be a pretty useful state to hold the governorship in. It's only a few cycles behind NC/VA/GA.

@AP: BREAKING: Trump says he's `not happy' with Health and Human Services Secretary Price, is looking closely at his private plane use.

@AP: BREAKING: Trump says he'll work with Dems on health care and is considering order to let people buy insurance across state lines.
This would totally be executive overreach

But even if it is I don't think anyone will challenge it

wutwutwut

Doubling the standard deduction effectively makes the mortgage interest deduction (which must be claimed as an itemized deduction) useless for most people. This is a good thing overall — homeowners are generally richer than renters, there's no justification for the government to give them even more handouts — but this must be phased in over a suitably long period. Doing so within just a year will cause chaos in the housing market, which currently prices the mortgage interest deduction in.

Eliminating state tax deductions screws over people in liberal states.

Blader

Doesn't the ACA already have a provision for insurance to be sold across state lines? Nobody took the bait in doing it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
TORT REFORM

Ten years ago, I remember that the right-wing media talked nonstop about tort reform. Then, a bipartisan report came out destroying the idea that it would do anything. What caused the return to this talking point?

Doesn't the ACA already have a provision for insurance to be sold across state lines? Nobody took the bait in doing it.
The ACA did not from what I remember, but a few states passed the law themselves, but it was only a handful. It was moreso a way to try and get health insurance companies to set up business there like in Oklahoma or something

I think we would see real movement if it was allowed in all 50 states

Yeah Multi-state plans. They're still subject to pretty strict requirements and not the kind of junk insurance plans that Republicans are fond of.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Trump said there's a GOP senator in the hospital? Who is he referring to?

I missed the name, but CNN mentioned a Senator that is recovering from a procedure though not actually in hospital is probably who Trump was referring to.

It wasn't McCain.

DKvy9LsXUAAO8xL.jpg:large

How low do your expectations have to be to think an executive order allowing a small subset of insurance plans to be traded across state lines is bigger than the GC health bill?

barber

Ten years ago, I remember that the right-wing media talked nonstop about tort reform. Then, a bipartisan report came out destroying the idea that it would do anything. What caused the return to this talking point?
That now they give less of a fuck for what experts say and realized their voters will believe them like 90% of the time.

I just looked up with the heck an ERISA healthcare plan was

It's COBRA. COBRA across state lines, I guess?

I'm not really sure I even see Trump's jurisdiction to do anything.
In general, ERISA does not cover group health plans established or maintained by governmental entities, churches for their employees, or plans which are maintained solely to comply with applicable workers compensation, unemployment, or disability laws.

I'm not really sure if Rand Paul understands this law, or if I'm missing something. That doesn't sound like what he was describing. There's nothing in here about corporate rates if they're in 20 states or whatever.

But it's just a blurb on a website, it's obviously not the entire bill.

dramatis

Why Is Chad On Trump's Travel Ban List?
"Chad is totally puzzled and baffled by President Trump's decision to slap this ban on Chadian nationals," NPR's Ofeibea Quist-Arcton tells Morning Edition. "Chad is not happy, because it feels that it has done its utmost in the fight against terrorism."

And the language issued by the White House in the president's executive order has done little to clarify the rationale. It praises Chad for being "an important and valuable counterterrorism partner" and says Washington "looks forward to expanding that cooperation."

Nonetheless, the executive order also states that "Chad does not adequately share public safety and terrorism-related information" and "several terrorist groups are active within Chad or in the surrounding region, including elements of Boko Haram, ISIS-West Africa, and al-Qa'ida in the Islamic Maghreb."
The short answer: no one knows why. An attempt to look like they aren't discriminating against Muslims?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
How low do your expectations have to be to think an executive order allowing a small subset of insurance plans to be traded across state lines is bigger than the GC health bill?

Classic republican move. Fail at something bigger, so oversell the much smaller thing they can actually get done.

I just looked up with the heck an ERISA healthcare plan was

It's COBRA. COBRA across state lines, I guess?

I'm not really sure I even see Trump's jurisdiction to do anything.

I'm not really sure if Rand Paul understands this law, or if I'm missing something. That doesn't sound like what he was describing. There's nothing in here about corporate rates if they're in 20 states or whatever.

But it's just a blurb on a website, it's obviously not the entire bill.

COBRA covers more than a silver plan but costs way more, right?

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
It's due to Trash Mate ignoring his math in the primaries w Trump.

he turned into a pundit, by his own admission, and made a bunch of qualitative calls outside his model. He trusted the model in the general, and it worked out, because his model went further back and used more historical data than the other models in many cases. the "states are correlated with each other" setting is a pretty good example of "pure math" vs "math + history".

Maledict

What the hell will an EO do anyway? He can't compel companies to sell products, and the reason they haven't pushed for it is because there's not much money there. The companies *like* the lack of competition.

Also, are they going to override individual state law as to what counts as health insurance etc? Or will these plans stick to the Obama framework that Rand Paul loves so much?

kirblar

he turned into a pundit, by his own admission, and made a bunch of qualitative calls outside his model. He trusted the model in the general, and it worked out, because his model went further back and used more historical data than the other models in many cases. the "states are correlated with each other" setting is a pretty good example of "pure math" vs "math + history".
He also put up a clickbait model that did nothing but swing wildly.

If you're gonna be the numbers guy, be the numbers guy, not a beltway pundit w/ bad soundbites.

studyguy

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/913089829113655297
CNN Politics (@CNNPolitics)
President Trump says he is thinking about lifting the Jones Act to help Puerto Rico
video in the link

https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/913088395286597633
Rebecca Ballhaus (@rebeccaballhaus)
Trump on why he won't waive the Jones Act: ”A lot of people who are in the shipping industry don't want" it lifted. https://t.co/OLVpupUfja

Man make a hard statement or don't, waffling on what will be your response to aid after a humanitarian disaster sounds shit.

Jeels

Why Is Chad On Trump's Travel Ban List?

The short answer: no one knows why. An attempt to look like they aren't discriminating against Muslims?

It's 54% Muslim anyway...They probably just needed to pick an African country along with an Asian country (North Korea - who the hell is traveling to the US from NK??) that there would be no real business fall out from instituting a travel ban. Aka, the US is just a bully at this point to justify its own stupid policies.

My COBRA election when I left my job would have cost 1850 dollars a month :D

Does anyone ever use COBRA?

It's more expensive than the money you get from unemployment every month. There's no way the people it's meant for can actually afford it...

Edit: Wikipedia says only 10% of eligible people use it. So yea, nobody uses COBRA.

Ogodei

It's 54% Muslim anyway...They probably just needed to pick an African country along with an Asian country (North Korea - who the hell is traveling to the US from NK??) that there would be no real business fall out from instituting a travel ban. Aka, the US is just a bully at this point to justify its own stupid policies.

If they wanted to pick an African country to make it look like they weren't discriminating against Muslims, they could have picked Equatorial Guinea or Zimbabwe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom