• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

CNN is just disgusting. Even with something like this they have Trump supporters on defending him.
They’re worse than Fox. On Fox at least it’s obvious where they stand. On CNN they go out of their way to look as neutral as possible even when there is no justification for it.

Dr. Worm

Banned
Is it possible for Puerto Rico to become a part of another state, such as Florida? Areas of states have broken off to form their own, so couldn't new areas be added onto states?

I'm not speaking from a political viewpoint precisely, more of a workaround to adding new senators or congressional seats.

I was thinking about this yesterday wrt D.C., since that might be more feasible politically due to Maryland and Virginia already being solidly blue. Democrats would give up the 3 EVs from D.C. for actual representation for its residents.

CNN is just disgusting. Even with something like this they have Trump supporters on defending him.
I'm pretty sure Anderson Cooper and Don Lemon will be fierce on Monday. They have been relentless in PR disaster coverage. Yeah it sucks they have Trump toadies on, but CNN drives Trump mad. Small price to pay.

Do any of the other territories have as significant a population? PR has been a problem for eons because it clearly shouldn't be a territory with that many people living there.
Not even close. Guam is the next most populous and it only has 160,000 people, a fraction of even Wyoming. All the territories only add up to around 4 million people and 3.5 million of those are Puerto Ricans.

Ogodei

Statehood for DC or PR won't happen unless DDD supermajority becomes established at some point in the future.. And that's assuming that dems wouldn't chicken out of pushing such legislation.

You wouldn't need a supermajority for either, assuming they nuke the filibuster next time they take back the majority.

You don't need a supermajority to admit new states, unless i'm mistaken. If Puerto Rico voted for Statehood a Democratic congress could pass an admission act and you're through.

DC is a bit trickier, but i've outlined the non-amendment process: you have congress carve out most of present-day DC into a new territory, leaving only the Capitol (and maybe other bits, like the Mall and the White House) which is the only place required by the constitution to be in a non-state territory. Then congress admits that territory to the union.

Adjustments to DC have been made by an act of congress before (it used to be a square with territory in Virginia, but congress ceded the Virginia side back to Virginia). So you simply make the parts of DC with people in them into a new territory and then admit that territory.

dramatis

Not even close. Guam is the next most populous and it only has 160,000 people, a fraction of even Wyoming. All the territories only add up to around 4 million people and 3.5 million of those are Puerto Ricans.
I don't think that matters.

Guam is roughly 1/5th the population of Wyoming, but Wyoming is like 1/50 the population of California. So I don't see why Guam can't be a state.

They’re worse than Fox. On Fox at least it’s obvious where they stand. On CNN they go out of their way to look as neutral as possible even when there is no justification for it.

Yeah, you don't both sides hurricane relief. It's embarrassing.

I'm pretty sure Anderson Cooper and Don Lemon will be fierce on Monday. They have been relentless in PR disaster coverage. Yeah it sucks they have Trump toadies on, but CNN drives Trump mad. Small price to pay.

Tapper probably will. Did Cooper and Lemon actually wake up? Last I saw they were still having Paris Denard on and other Trump stooges to show both sides.

No way are they worse than fox. Information is best when you have more than one angle or perspective. Fox news just feeds it's bullshit without playing any advocate for the opposite side. While people might not like the trump surrogates, I sure as hell think most of them are trash, I appreciate understanding what the opposition POV is aka what bullshit are they saying now.

There are, however, some people CNN should not have on payroll. Rick santorum is human shit. I met him once before he was elected in PA. I didn't know what a scumbag he was then.

Yeah, you don't both sides hurricane relief. It's embarrassing.

Tapper probably will. Did Cooper and Lemon actually wake up? Last I saw they were still having Paris Denard on and other Trump stooges to show both sides.

Paris was getting his shit handed during the confederate monuments week. Before today PR hurricane relief wasn't politicized. Now it is, so going to watch on Monday how they spin this.

Do any of the other territories have as significant a population? PR has been a problem for eons because it clearly shouldn't be a territory with that many people living there.

No, they're all really small. That's why I floated the possibility of combining some of the ones that are close(ish) to each other.

Is it possible for Puerto Rico to become a part of another state, such as Florida? Areas of states have broken off to form their own, so couldn't new areas be added onto states?

I'm not speaking from a political viewpoint precisely, more of a workaround to adding new senators or congressional seats.

I'm not sure if territories have ever been combined before. I only know of splitting them up (EG Mississippi would've been both MS and AL but it was deemed too large lol).

Ryuuroden

Christ, I just learned today that George Soros is apparently the right-wing go to Boogeyman of Europe as well. man that guy gets around.

Christ, I just learned today that George Soros is apparently the right-wing go to Boogeyman of Europe as well. man that guy gets around.

I have concerns about him as well. I’ve been shilling for the neoliberal agenda for some time but I’m still waiting on my first paycheck.

CNN's whole strategy is to create outrageous TV moments that get spread on social media. It's basically booked like pro wrestling with Heels and Faces. The best thing you can do is not watch it and not talk about it.

I shake my head whenever I see someone on GAF or on twitter crowing about how awesome it was that Ann Navarro owned some Trump supporter. CNN is manipulating shit harder than a VH1 reality show.

We just need to let this shit die in silence.

They're worse than Fox. On Fox at least it's obvious where they stand. On CNN they go out of their way to look as neutral as possible even when there is no justification for it.

The thing that sucks is that each one provides cover for the other to push their brand of bullshit further.

CNN's whole strategy is to create outrageous TV moments that get spread on social media. It's basically booked like pro wrestling with Heels and Faces. The best thing you can do is not watch it and not talk about it.

I shake my head whenever I see someone on GAF or on twitter crowing about how awesome it was that Ann Navarro owned some Trump supporter. CNN is manipulating shit harder than a VH1 reality show.

We just need to let this shit die in silence.

Took the tea from my cup.

Stop watching trash cable. News comes from reputable print outlets, not some vapid talking head's mouth.

Ac30

George Soros is literally an item on the re-election campaign for Orban. Hungarians bought it hook, line and sinker.

Trump is, like, literally the least qualified or prepared person in the country to be president. You could pick some random mechanic or Wal-Mart shelf stocker out of a phone book and get someone who would do a better job, man.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Trump is, like, literally the least qualified or prepared person in the country to be president. You could pick some random mechanic or Wal-Mart shelf stocker out of a phone book and get someone who would do a better job, man.

I mean, give the average dude some decent advisers with some experience and they could easily do better.

Nelo Ice

Banned

How can you possibly mess up funding healthcare for 9 million kids
Just dead about this and sounds like Republicans found it more important to murder everyone because they had to erase a black man's law. O and it was just as important to focus on giving rich people tax cuts. In short fuck Republicans.

DK_anmyUEAIu2Tg.jpg:large
Keep diggin' that hole, Don

Ogodei

I've seen plenty of laypeople as ignorant as Trump. The root problem isn't gross ignorance or even an unwillingness to listen to advice, but the fact that he'll only do something if it has an immediate benefit to himself (and damn all other consequences or possibilities).

tbm24

Took the tea from my cup.

Stop watching trash cable. News comes from reputable print outlets, not some vapid talking head's mouth.
You’ll be hard pressed to find better coverage on Hurricane Maria/PR than CNN as far as English National News is concerned. They’ve been putting in the work the entire time. Having a trump defender on doesn’t negate that.

CNN’s journalism, reporters, event stuff and docus are great. The commentary boxing matches are straight garbage. Made worse because they still don’t have an answer to Trumpets filibustering segments.

It hasn’t even been a year. Feels like it’s been about 3.
Can we do a recall election plz

The irony will be that after 8 years Trump won't look any older but all of America will have aged as much as Obama did during his time.

Well... I guess in 8 years everyone will have aged 8 years but... uh... there was a point here somewhere

have people started calling him Nero yet

That's an insult to Nero, who had some redeeming qualities.

I'd put Trump more in lines of Caligula, but without any of the redeeming records of his first six months. Per Wikipedia:

There are few surviving sources about the reign of Emperor Caligula, although he is described as a noble and moderate ruler during the first six months of his reign. After this, the sources focus upon his cruelty, sadism, extravagance, and sexual perversion, presenting him as an insane tyrant. While the reliability of these sources is questionable, it is known that during his brief reign, Caligula worked to increase the unconstrained personal power of the emperor, as opposed to countervailing powers within the principate. He directed much of his attention to ambitious construction projects and luxurious dwellings for himself, and initiated the construction of two aqueducts in Rome: the Aqua Claudia and the Anio Novus.

Caligula was killed by his own guards. Nero had at the very least some sources that argued he was well percieved among the commoners and didn't mishandle the fire of Rome as bad as popular culture would have you believe.

Trump's response to PR is like the "thoughts and prayers" running gag from BoJack's gun control episode.

Thoughts and prayers, thoughts and prayers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom