• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thaedolus

Somehow this feels worse than the, like, 10,000 things he’s done before. First, he picks a fight with the NFL while ignoring PR entirely. Second he begrudgingly bumbles some pittance of an effort to respond. Third, somewhat unsurprisingly but still rather shockingly, he picks a fight with a mayor pleading for more help as a humanitarian crisis is unfolding.

Like, maybe you can rationalize in your head the pussy grabbing comments as locker room talk or whatever, but how do you get on his side here? I’m sure his cult of personality will find a way but...goddamn dude shut your fucking mouth for once

Diablos

Trump has got to go. He needs to be impeached or pushed to resign. This is getting really, really bad and he’s doing so much damage to the country. He can’t handle a crisis if his feelings get hurt for any reason, real or in his head.

I just want this nightmare to end. Even if that means President Pence... at this point, so be it.

Somehow this feels worse than the, like, 10,000 things he’s done before. First, he picks a fight with the NFL while ignoring PR entirely. Second he begrudgingly bumbles some pittance of an effort to respond. Third, somewhat unsurprisingly but still rather shockingly, he picks a fight with a mayor pleading for more help as a humanitarian crisis is unfolding.

Like, maybe you can rationalize in your head the pussy grabbing comments as locker room talk or whatever, but how do you get on his side here? I’m sure his cult of personality will find a way but...goddamn dude shut your fucking mouth for once
Wonder how Paris Dennard will defend this.

Oh he didn’t stop there. This is also a conspiracy by CNN and NBC to make him look bad and disparage first responders.

“Fake News CNN and NBC are going out of their way to disparage our great First Responders as a way to "get Trump." Not fair to FR or effort!”

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/914094625488502784

“The Fake News Networks are working overtime in Puerto Rico doing their best to take the spirit away from our soldiers and first R's. Shame!”

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/914099295963553792

Diablos

rick scott has got to be pissed
Fuck Rick Scott and fuck the Republicans for jumping on this psychotic bandwagon in the first place when they knew it was the easiest way for them to win the White House. They need to start standing up to his antics. “Oh well I didn’t like what he said” isn’t enough. It’s not enough.

Scott probably won’t do shit, he’ll want that Trump endorsement for his Senate run.

shem935

Banned

Say his response is great. Just watch fox news right now. Full on propaganda that he is doing an amazing job and everyone is lying.

20131030_christieobamasandy_600.jpg

This is about how we expected Trump to handle a humanitarian crisis under this administration. The first two places to get hit were in states he won so of course he pretended to care, but don't think for an instant if there was a terrorist attack in Cali or another Katrina that he'd give two shits. Absolutely disgusting. Thousands of American citizens are going to needlessly die under the administration and the country is just going to watch.

jtb

Banned
"America First"

Fuck Trump and fuck his endless apologists who will twist themselves into pretzels clarifying that he's merely an "economic populist" "firebrand" and not a fucking R A C I S T

jtb

Banned
also, I can only hope that a disaster like this provides the clarity needed across the board that PR statehood needs to be a priority. Don't give racist jackasses like Trump the chance to treat PR like second class citizens.

zou

lol this Jill Stein interview on her past comments is bonkers on Trump v Clinton and Russia

http://www.newsweek.com/2017/09/08/...kTwitter&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social

That is based on an article, this contention that I thought Hillary was worse than Trump. I never said that.

My summary statement was always that I would feel terrible if Donald Trump was elected, and I would feel terrible if Hillary Clinton was elected.

I have never said that Hillary Clinton was better or worse than Donald Trump

I never said they were “no different.”

I never said she was worse than Trump! I never said there was no difference! All I said is either of them being elected would be terrible.

Oh and the fake news cop-out is beyond pathetic. "fake news? not sure, been a bit busy."

All he had to do was send enough aid early, take some photos shaking hands with mayors while wearing a hard hat, and not constantly pat himself on the back.

Congress needs to make Puerto Rico a state so they can receive more benefits moving forward. A mandatory evacuation ought to be put in place so as many people can get out of there as possible. Then infrastructure can be sufficiently addressed. Finally, they need more folks with unique skillsets to coordinate the effort and get supplies where they need to go. I don't think the military should completely take over but more leadership is needed by folks who know how to get this situation under control.

Trump admin can't solve this with a few photo ops and throwing supplies down there prior to the storm.

JP_

Banned
https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2017/9/29/16377806/mckibben-effect

Someone studied the effects that radical fringe policies can have on the party mainstream and the larger debate.

I hope thousands of Puerto Ricans migrant to Florida and vote Democrat.
This was discussed on The Weeds podcast as if it were basically inevitable. And that statehood might be a way for republicans to fight against that (though I feel like statehood is a long shot under republicans)

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2017/9/29/16377806/mckibben-effect

Someone studied the effects that radical fringe policies can have on the party mainstream and the larger debate.

This was discussed on The Weeds podcast as if it were basically inevitable. And that statehood might be a way for republicans to fight against that (though I feel like statehood is a long shot under republicans)

Statehood would give an automatic 2 dem senators at this point and more dem reps. Republicans are probably hoping they all just stay on the island and no one comes here.

They would add 2 EC votes to the total (so it would go up to 540 or 271 to win), but any number of congresspersons would be redistributed, probably from places like Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.
The minimum ec votes they could add is 3, and they'd probably get like 2-3 congressmen, so more like 5-6 total.

JP_

Banned
Statehood would give an automatic 2 dem senators at this point and more dem reps. Republicans are probably hoping they all just stay on the island and no one comes here.

Yeah, that'd be ideal for Republicans, but making Florida a solid blue might be more scary than adding a small state.

Ogodei

The minimum ec votes they could add is 3, and they'd probably get like 2-3 congressmen, so more like 5-6 total.

Nah, because of the apportionment act. Electoral College is Senators plus Congressmen. The Senate isn't capped at 100 but congress is capped at 435, so the total added to electoral college would be 2. You're right that PR would probably get 5-6 electoral votes, but the other 3-4 votes would be transferred from the Great Lakes (or a few others on the bubble for losing ECs, like RI, AL, and WV)]\

Edit: this actually makes me curious about the procedure. Most states were added to the union before the House was capped, but Alaska and Hawaii were added in 1959. What happened when their representatives were added to congress? How did they determine who lost seats? Based on the 1950 census (where the two most-marginal seats that survived the 1950 census were transferred to Alaska and Hawaii), or did they do an interim census to determine who had the lowest population growth and make them lose seats?

What's the best plan for territories other than PR? Can we argue they become individual states even with low population or do they need to be rolled into a "Pacific Islands" state? It's clear this current system isn't good.

Nah, because of the apportionment act. Electoral College is Senators plus Congressmen. The Senate isn't capped at 100 but congress is capped at 435, so the total added to electoral college would be 2. You're right that PR would probably get 5-6 electoral votes, but the other 3-4 votes would be transferred from the Great Lakes (or a few others on the bubble for losing ECs, like RI, AL, and WV)
Oh, I misunderstood. I thought you were saying +2 ec votes for PR, not +2 for the system as a whole.

kirblar

What's the best plan for territories other than PR? Can we argue they become individual states even with low population or do they need to be rolled into a "Pacific Islands" state? It's clear this current system isn't good.
Do any of the other territories have as significant a population? PR has been a problem for eons because it clearly shouldn't be a territory with that many people living there.

Ogodei

Issue with Pacific Islands territories is climate change. The status quo might be best because a lot of those territories might be heavily diminished by the end of the century, and it would just be easier to pack them in and bring the people back to the US.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Is it possible for Puerto Rico to become a part of another state, such as Florida? Areas of states have broken off to form their own, so couldn't new areas be added onto states?

I'm not speaking from a political viewpoint precisely, more of a workaround to adding new senators or congressional seats.

Drakeon

Is it possible for Puerto Rico to become a part of another state, such as Florida? Areas of states have broken off to form their own, so couldn't new areas be added onto states?

I'm not speaking from a political viewpoint precisely, more of a workaround to adding new senators or congressional seats.
Republicans won't willingly make Florida permanently blue, so that's a non starter.

Statehood for DC or PR won't happen unless DDD supermajority becomes established at some point in the future.. And that's assuming that dems wouldn't chicken out of pushing such legislation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom