• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has there ever been a time where you've been hyped for oppo and haven't been disappointed? It feels like we go through this every few weeks.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Has there ever been a time where you've been hyped for oppo and haven't been disappointed? It feels like we go through this every few weeks.

This tends to be why stories don't get hyped and just get dropped: we have no idea what point in the process she was at when she tweeted. Is the article vetted by legal? The editors? Is it written? Is she only a few interviews in or almost finished? Depending on the answers the story could be a month or so out.

A little bird suggested to me that "oppo" might be Trump having used/still using a private email server while in office. I think just about everyone would be floored if it came out, but it certainly seems like something he'd do.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
A little bird suggested to me that "oppo" might be Trump having used/still using a private email server while in office. I think just about everyone would be floored if it came out, but it certainly seems like something he'd do.

I thought he didn’t use email at all?

The breaking news there would be Trump having ever touched a computer. It's already been a known thing for the past week that the family members in the administration have been using private email, so it wouldn't be remotely shocking if any official POTUS address was as well.

Unrelated, but watching Cooper on CNN where his entire show is guests and CNN reporters with stories of how fucking horrible the situation in Puerto Rico is is depressing as crap. Despite starting with zero faith in the Trump administration even I didn't think they could screw up this badly. A hurricane of similar strength hit the same region two weeks earlier! We already knew exactly what would happen to the land and property on the island, and that European governments were being shat on for a lousy response to their own islands.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn’t he “famously” not know how to use a computer (that isn’t a smart phone) and not use email?

It's also always the same offenders

tumblr_oo7jpza6jn1ur0wr7o3_400.gif

chadskin

Hey at least Trump didn't do this yet

The [British] foreign secretary has been accused of “incredible insensitivity” after it emerged he recited part of a colonial-era Rudyard Kipling poem in front of local dignitaries while on an official visit to Myanmar in January.

Boris Johnson was inside the Shwedagon Pagoda, the most sacred Buddhist site in the capital Yangon, when he started uttering the opening verse to The Road to Mandalay, including the line: “The temple bells they say/ Come you back you English soldier.”

Kipling’s poem captures the nostalgia of a retired serviceman looking back on his colonial service and a Burmese girl he kissed. Britain colonised Myanmar from 1824 to 1948 and fought three wars in the 19th century, suppressing widespread resistance.

Johnson’s impromptu recital was so embarrassing that the UK ambassador to Myanmar, Andrew Patrick, was forced to stop him. The incident was captured by a film crew for Channel 4 and will form part of a documentary to be broadcast on Sunday about the fitness of the MP for Uxbridge and South Ruislip to become prime minister.

The previously unbroadcast footage shows the diplomat managing to halt Johnson before he could get to the line about a “Bloomin’ idol made o’ mud/ Wot they called the Great Gawd Budd” – a reference to the Buddha.
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-on-camera-reciting-kipling-in-myanmar-temple

tbm24

I mean, he basically went with “those lazy brown people, how dare they.”
Pretty much. I’m fighting urges to break something. After everything his ass no doubt has seen about the fucking island, he ha he nerve to play victim. God dammit.

Welp, we just won Florida in 2020.
And people said Trumps comments prior to the election meant it was impossible for him to win there. And yet he did pretty easily. Don't count on it.

Also, Rubio.

Marco Rubio.

Come out on full blast or resign in disgrace and leave Congress forever

There hasn't been too many moments where I've been shocked by Trump's tweets because the bar is already so low...

...but just wow. I can't believe he really just attacked the Mayor of San Juan in the middle of a humanitarian crisis. And then he then proceeds to bash the rest of the leadership of Puerto Rico. And he's going to show up on Tuesday after making these comments?

He might have been able to get through the "good news story" flap since he didn't directly say those words, but after these tweets he's now put himself right into it and if there's any justice, he'll get torn apart for it.

It's now safe to say Puerto Rico has become Trump's Katrina after those tweets. During the first week he was more concerned about NFL players kneeling during a pre-game and now that Puerto Rico has gotten his attention, they're not heaping enough praise onto him so he attacks them while we're on the verge of a major humanitarian crisis with American citizens dying. Absolutely disgusting.

tbm24

These tweets make it very clear that Trump doesn’t understand Puerto Rico is part of the US. That the people are citizens. He would never said something like this for Texas or Florida or any other state. It’s disgusting.

These tweets make it very clear that Trump doesn’t understand Puerto Rico is part of the US. That the people are citizens. He would never said something like this for Texas or Florida or any other state. It’s disgusting.

About half of Americans don’t according to some reputable surveys.

He "understands". He just doesn't consider it to be true. Because he's racist.

Actually I think Trump would take a similar attitude if it was a blue state like California and the major of Los Angeles criticized a slow response.

Texas and Florida are states that voted for him, so he's concerned about their votes and he also knows he can easily find a friendly crowd in those states. Also as bad as Harvey and Irma were, a lot of lessons from Katrina and other recent Hurricanes could be fairly easily applied. It made Trump's job very straight-forward.

But the devastation of Puerto Rico provided a challenge where there wasn't a recent precedent, so it actually required for people in the administration to concentrate and come up with a new strategy to save lives and provide relief to PR. But it's clear Trump was apathetic toward PR and he and the administration has no real competence to handle new situations where there isn't a recipe written right in front of them. That's when he started making inane comments like "Puerto Rico is an island. It's surrounded by water. A lot of water. In fact, an Ocean. A very big Ocean".

Can Robert Mueller hurry up with his investigation already?

Loxley

Ten bucks says he either "postpones" his trip to Puerto Rico now or makes it incredibly short and doesn't speak with anyone while he's there.

Just FYI this really does not fucking bode well for Guam if it’s put in danger.

This has been making my blood boil all morning, it goes far beyond a failure in leadership. It’s outright aggression towards citizens who need urgent help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom