• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
TawWIVh.jpg

The layers.

Some of you put way too much stock into the power of an individual in Congress. If Mitch McConnell had 55 Republicans instead of 52, he'd be a genius strategist enacting agenda like a god. How effective you are is heavily reliant on how big your majority is.

Look at how much turnover has occurred in recent history in terms of leadership for both parties. Congress is a machine, it doesn't rely on any one person to get stuff done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_leaders_of_the_United_States_House_of_Representatives

https://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/common/briefing/Majority_Minority_Leaders.htm

I feel like you're completely underestimating how hard it is to get all the members of your party to vote the party line on something, even if that something goes against their personal beliefs. Republicans have known this for a few years now (IIRC, it's why Boehner retired instead of staying speaker), and are particularly feeling its effects right now. Pelosi has shown how effective she is at it, and the idea that anyone else can just come in and do it just as effectively doesn't seem to be true.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, if I had any critique of the current Dem leadership it'd be that they don't seem to be doing much to prep for the next generation. Similar to everyone assuming Clinton would be the nominee meant we didn't have a bench for 2016.

Well, I guess the next place to look is the ranking member of Ways and Means, Richard Neal, who at least seems young and experienced. Then maybe the ranking member of Oversight, who is John Lewis, an old but well known and respected name that we probably don't want dragged through the mud. And finally the ranking member of Appropriations, who is Nita Lowery, whose position against the Iran deal probably is disqualifying.

I might be down for a Richard Neal leadership from a glance at his wikipedia page.

"All buildings inspected for safety"

Dude, there's no fucking WAY that's true, like I know he lies about everything but come the fuck on

And he indirectly called the mayor an ingrate...

I have to say, this weekend has really broken a lot of my spirit. I never thought we’d be at the point where we’re politicizing disaster response like this.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
And he indirectly called the mayor an ingrate...

I have to say, this weekend has really broken a lot of my spirit. I never thought we’d be at the point where we’re politicizing disaster response like this.

Did you forget Hurricanes Katrina and Sandy?

Did you forget Hurricanes Katrina and Sandy?

I mean Bush never called called New Orleanians lazy, and Obama never called Christie a politically motivated ingrate and a bad leader. We have a situation where the President’s base is actively trying to convince the country that Puerto Rico is fine, that the mayor of San Juan supports terrorism and is involved in a massive conspiracy, etc.

The President is always going to be criticized, rightly or not, for how they handle disaster relief. This is very different.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I mean Bush never called called New Orleanians lazy, and Obama never called Christie a politically motivated ingrate and a bad leader. We have a situation where the President’s base is actively trying to convince the country that Puerto Rico is fine, that the mayor of San Juan supports terrorism and is involved in a massive conspiracy, etc.

The President is always going to be criticized, rightly or not, for how they handle disaster relief. This is very different.

Oh, you meant politicizing from the president's own perspective. Understood. Yeah, you're right. It's getting ridiculous.

Some of you put way too much stock into the power of an individual in Congress. If Mitch McConnell had 55 Republicans instead of 52, he'd be a genius strategist enacting agenda like a god. How effective you are is heavily reliant on how big your majority is.

Look at how much turnover has occurred in recent history in terms of leadership for both parties. Congress is a machine, it doesn't rely on any one person to get stuff done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_leaders_of_the_United_States_House_of_Representatives

https://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/common/briefing/Majority_Minority_Leaders.htm
He'd run into same problem Reid ran into with Obamacare: bluedogs who'd like to water the bill down. Except in Mitch's case, he'd have had more Murkowskis. Do you think Mark Kirk of Illinois and Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire would vote in line?

Trump believes if he repeats something enough, it becomes true

He's said people are starting to notice his efforts for the last week and a half. He needs some new material.

Yeah, if I had any critique of the current Dem leadership it'd be that they don't seem to be doing much to prep for the next generation. Similar to everyone assuming Clinton would be the nominee meant we didn't have a bench for 2016.

I'm not sure who makes this call, but to my knowledge, Pelosi hates Hoyer. So I'd like to see her pick her Number 2 and groom them.

You smuggled a ton of assumptions into your hypothetical. Chiefly, why are you assuming Mitch gets 3 more votes amenable to his agenda? Congress doesn't work like that. You're basically arguing that someone like Ryan doesn't have to be any good because he'll just have a House that's perfectly aligned with his vision. That's not at all a safe assumption. You need to whip votes.

Hopfrog

Mnuchin on Meet the Press claiming that the 1 trillion dollar deficit created by the tax plan will be paid for by 2 trillion dollars in growth.

The same line for fucking decades. Every. damn. time.

Pelosi and Hoyer's feud stems from the 2001 race for Democratic whip. She leapfrogged him, and they've resented each other since. He's also always been more conservative than she. I imagine she wouldn't want to see the rightward movement that his leadership would bring.

Mnuchin on Meet the Press claiming that the 1 trillion dollar deficit created by the tax plan will be paid for by 2 trillion dollars in growth.

Deficits only matter when a democrat is president or we want to better the country by giving free education and single payer healthcare.

Something even Democrats get caught up in and it’s frustrating. I wish we could manage to kill off right wing messaging.

Plinko

He should just say "magic."

jelly

Side show to other stuff but there is never too much evidence Trump is scum.

Branson reveals a letter Trump sent him in 2004

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/richard-branson-scathing-letter-president-donald-trump-virgin-billionaire-a7975706.html

Richard Branson has revealed details of his long-running feud with Donald Trump, publishing a scathing letter he received from the then New York property mogul in 2004.
Mr Trump wrote to the Virgin brand founder after he launched a short-lived programme, The Rebel Billionaire: Branson’s Quest for the Best, with a similar format to The Apprentice.
Excerpts from the letter are reproduced in Mr Branson’s new book, Finding My Virginity.
“At least your dismal ratings can now allow you to concentrate on your airline which, I am sure, needs every ounce of your energy,” Mr Trump wrote.
“It is obviously a terrible business and I can’t imagine, with fuel prices etc, that you can be doing any better in it than anyone else.
“Like television, you should try to get out the airline business too, as soon as possible! Actually, I wonder out loud how you can be anywhere close to a billionaire and be in that business. Perhaps the title of your show, The Rebel Billionaire, is misleading?

It was not to be the last time the two businessmen exchanged heated words. Shortly before the 2016 presidential election, Mr Branson published a blog post on his website imploring voters not to vote for Mr Trump.
In the blog, the businessman describes an odd meeting with Mr Trump, who he claims invited him to lunch solely to talk about his plans to “destroy” five people who had refused to lend him money.
“What concerns me most, based upon my personal experiences with Donald Trump, is his vindictive streak, which could be so dangerous if he got into the White House,“ said Mr Branson.
More recently, the 67-year-old described the President as an “embarrassment for the world”.

What a lunatic.

Couleurs

We just haven’t given trickle down economics enough time to work; its only been 35 years and it takes at least 40 for anything to happen. Just have to be patient

Yeah there’s no other way to interpret this. You can have diplomacy or you can have war, and he outright dismissed the former.

Edit: Wonder if this makes Rex quit, based on reporting he’s hated the job for a while.

jelly

Someone has probably told him you get better ratings during a war and he will need that distraction when Mueller comes for him.

Plinko

dramatis

So, Congress has let the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) expire and I was completely unaware. I feel shitty about that. I mean, what the fuck.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/program-lo...set/story?id=50188069&cid=social_twitter_abcn
It's technically on the calendar...for October 4.
The House Energy and Commerce Committee announced it would consider CHIP reauthorization on October 4, three days after it sunsets. So far details about the legislation have not been publicly released, including how long the program would be extended for and what sort of cuts the GOP would demand as potential funding offsets.

The general good news is that the worst-off states have some funding to last a few more months at least, except Minnesota whose funds are expecting to blow up real quick

Ithil

Next step: Kasich changing parties?

He's very much not a democrat. He'd never go past independent.
I can see him perhaps teaming with a democrat but not becoming one himself, he's very right wing, just not a loudmouth dumb jackass about it like Trump.

Ogodei

Are Steny Hoyer or Jim Clyburn any good? As the second and third in current democratic house leadership I'd imagine they'd be in position to take over, though both are nearing 80 years old. It's kinda weird that Dick Gephardt and his first whip are both still younger than any of the current top 3 ranking democratic representatives. Doesn't seem like they're setting up great for Pelosi's exit like that.

They really aren't. Almost every committee Ranking Member is eligible to receive Medicare (65+). I think Adam Schiff (of the intelligence committee), and the woman who's the D ranking member on the Ethics committee are the only two who are younger than 60.

It's this weird dissonance that the Democrats are the party of the young people but are a gerontocracy in terms of any of their nationally visible leaders, while the GOP that rests on the backs of old white men has a bunch of 40 and 50-somethings running the show.

Kasich would be better off mounting a primary challenge, getting some considerable support and endorsing the democratic nominee in the end. An independent run creates way too much uncertainty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom