• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Although I expect the GOP to do nothing, if Trump starts a nuclear war to effectively distract from the fact that he’s a petty thief who got in over his head and the GOP goes along with it, then they own this entire thing. At that point it’s not Trump it’s his enablers.

They’d rather destroy two countries and the future of Asian and global geopolitics than lose a couple of congressional posts.

They can stop this at any time.

Wilsongt

Although I expect the GOP to do nothing, if Trump starts a nuclear war to effectively distract from the fact that he’s a petty thief who got in over his head and the GOP goes along with it, then they own this entire thing. At that point it’s not Trump it’s his enablers.

They’d rather destroy two countries and the future of Asian and global geopolitics than lose a couple of congressional posts.

But they won't.

The GOP loves power, they have done all they can to feed ignorance, hatred, and loathing into half of the population, and if Trump get a few people killed, there still won't be enough outrage in this country to put the GOP completely into tatters.

I don't think he's too close to the Liberals.

I didn't vote in this one because I live in the US now obviously. That's probably why I never made a choice between Singh and Angus. Angus is my MP so that's probably why I hesitated, but I'm glad for Singh. The NDP is in the dark for the next decade or so either way.

Yep.

Layton built them up and Mulcair couldn't run with it (because he sucks) and now they're back to being that third party sadly.

NPD is a perfect example of the dangers of relying on one man with incredbile charisma and popularity... NDP's rise was on the back of Layton's cult of personality.

This is insane on so many levels.

Also, this a terrible equivalence and I cringed when I first saw it. She was refusing to do her job and follow the law. Not at all like the NFL situation.

The point of that image was that the same people shitting on BFL players for kneeling were rallying around Kim Davis' freedom of expression even though she was actually committing a crime by literally refusing to do her job.

I can't believe the NJ and VA governor races are a month away.

ONLY THREE YEARS UNTIL 2020 THANK GOD
Hope for a good night. Those have been precious and few since 2012.

Hopefully this happens before Menendez has to resign

I mean
Frankly even if it doesn't Democrats should pull out every trick in the book to keep Menendez in there until Murphy is sworn in. After the fucking bullshit with Garland the GOP should not get a freebie Senate seat, especially when that would probably let them get repeal and replace done.

Ogodei

Couldn't NJ legislature change the law that lets the governor pick replacement senators anyway? I know Massachusetts has gone back and forth on this based on who was in power.

Ogodei

25 years ago it was Kim Il-Sung.

Yeah, Kim Jong Il didn't last that long all things considered. Kim Il Sung died in '94 (he was actually the one behind the first nuclear crisis, where they made their first try at the bomb and Clinton and Jimmy Carter managed to dissuade them). Jong Il "only" ran the country for 17 years compared to Il Sung going from '45 to '94.

Holmes

Yep.

Layton built them up and Mulcair couldn't run with it (because he sucks) and now they're back to being that third party sadly.

NPD is a perfect example of the dangers of relying on one man with incredbile charisma and popularity... NDP's rise was on the back of Layton's cult of personality.
But wasn't the Liberals' resurgence on the back of Trudeau's cult of personality? If not for Trudeau, I'm fairly certain we would have Prime Minister Mulcair right now. In fact they were leading in the polls for quite a while in the lead up to and the beginning of the election.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The point of that image was that the same people shitting on BFL players for kneeling were rallying around Kim Davis' freedom of expression even though she was actually committing a crime by literally refusing to do her job.
I realize this, but it seems like a bad approach to take. It's just an invitation for those people to claim hypocrisy in the other direction and it's a further distraction from what this current debate is, or was, actually about. But whatever, it doesn't matter.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So something of a realization just occurred to me.

As I've said before, if we had any option to take either house of congress, it would be strategically more preferable to take back the senate. This is mainly to block any attempts by Trump to appoint another SC justice. But then something else occurred to me which I didn't realize (for whatever reason): if something happens to one of the Dem justices, even if we block the open seat, the Republicans will now get a majority. So that means we're pretty fucked either way, doesn't it?

As I've said before, if we had any option to take either house of congress, it would be strategically more preferable to take back the senate. This is mainly to block any attempts by Trump to appoint another SC justice. But then something else occurred to me which I didn't realize (for whatever reason): if something happens to one of the Dem justices, even if we block the open seat, the Republicans will now get a majority. So that means we're pretty fucked either way, doesn't it?

The next justice will be Kennedy's seat (unless someone dies), so if the Democrats take the senate, and just stall for years, it won't change the court from where it was last year.

Ogodei

Fucked for 3-7 years instead of 30-40 years, though.

Sort of, we'd still have Kennedy as a wild card on a lot of cases. Something like Obergefell couldn't get flipped.

Whoa

KJ7KplO.png

He'd be going to war because of his administration's diplomatic failures along with his predecessors and folks they listened to. The GOP's chief concern probably isn't losing congressional posts. Additionally, they're not terribly interested in destroying countries and then having to deal with the fallout. At the end of the day, Republicans will be talking to NK and exhausting all their options that aren't military. However, it depends on Kim. If he does something that the US gov't can't tolerate, then it's over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom