• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogodei

He could possibly win Ohio in that scenario, depending on how well-financed his campaign was if we wasn't simply buried by an avalanche of Trump and Gillibrand PAC money in the state.

Slimy guy though. He was basically trying to be a worse version of Scott Walker, but Ohio had enough backbone to tell him to fuck off and suddenly he became a moderate darling.

He gets props for viewing LGBT as people, i guess?

DLBf031XkAAansq.jpg:large

In cali

Which is great because I'm sure he'll have no problem using LGBT people as props.

A Republican who's decent on gay rights would be a pretty potent combination, I could see a lot of people being fooled by that.

#bothsides
#cometogether
#anything to avoid admitting that my friends, relatives, and co-workers are nasty bigots

Only Democrats and "moderates" would be dumb enough to be fooled by a unity ticket. Republicans would fall in line, as always, and we'd have a lower chance of a Democratic president.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Barron

If Trump lasts eight years, he's giving a job in the admin to Barron eventually.

Barron

If Trump lasts eight years, he's giving a job in the admin to Barron eventually.
I liked someone's idea somewhere on GAF before of creating a Department of Technology.

And of course, they'd give that job to Barron right now.

I actually don't think that'd be a bad place to put Zuckerberg, honestly. Dude's not cut out for politics at all, but I think he'd do well in a more bureaucratic role.

I liked someone's idea somewhere on GAF before of creating a Department of Technology.

And of course, they'd give that job to Barron right now.

I actually don't think that'd be a bad place to put Zuckerberg, honestly. Dude's not cut out for politics at all, but I think he'd do well in a more bureaucratic role.

zuckerberg is unqualified to interact with human beings in any capacity

Loxley

I really wish YouTube would stop recommending me videos made by idiots titled shit like "Bill Burr DESTROYS feminist SJW!" or "Bill Burr DESTROYS NFL PC culture!". I like Bill Burr so long as he's not talking about anything related to social issues, because he's kind of an ignorant moron in that regard, but boy has he become this bizarre superhero to alt-right shut-ins.

My take (fwiw) is that Tillerson hasn't "worked" for Fat Stuff for quite a while. Russians? The rest of the US government? Yeah, but note this is in a tweet instead of a command.

Quite frankly, it's like he's on the cusp of realizing he's nearly, well, walled off from the levers of power now. Getting one's briefings from Fox and Friends and having what little upper government you had run off or hunker down from fuckery'll do that.

Also, Kasich is regular-ass GOP like Flake, it's just that they have a moral and ethical compass and now are either realigning it or getting blasted for it as too many see "anti-trump" as "liberal". It's an invective slung by the alt-right at Flake as well.

They really aren't. Almost every committee Ranking Member is eligible to receive Medicare (65+). I think Adam Schiff (of the intelligence committee), and the woman who's the D ranking member on the Ethics committee are the only two who are younger than 60.

It's this weird dissonance that the Democrats are the party of the young people but are a gerontocracy in terms of any of their nationally visible leaders, while the GOP that rests on the backs of old white men has a bunch of 40 and 50-somethings running the show.

Ah, so you noticed this as well.

The closer she works with Trump the less of a future she has and I presume she wants one, given her supposed ambitions.

FORMER ambitions.

If anyone is interested in Canadian politics, Jagmeet Singh just won the leadership election for the New Democratic Party (their social democratic party) in a Corbyn-esque way where he signed up a large number of new members to the party and won the 4-way election in the first round, but unlike Corbyn he was portrayed as too close to the Liberals by the other candidates. I think he's also the first minority leader of a Canadian party as well.

Foffy

Banned
Why does it appear that the only thing we see consistently done on bipartisan grounds in American politics is the acceptance and adoption of driverless technology? This was one of the things the GOP agreed with the Obama administration on, for fuck's sake. And they hated anything else he suggested.

You'd assume both parties would have jobs cultish responses to this, and both would be wrong to use them. It's weird to not see the kneejerk clinginess one expects to transformational change like what driverless vehicles will eventually produce, both in terms of loljobs and emancipatory value for a massive swath of the population.

Holmes

If anyone is interested in Canadian politics, Jagmeet Singh just won the leadership election for the New Democratic Party (their social democratic party) in a Corbyn-esque way where he signed up a large number of new members to the party and won the 4-way election in the first round, but unlike Corbyn he was portrayed as too close to the Liberals by the other candidates. I think he's also the first minority leader of a Canadian party as well.
I don't think he's too close to the Liberals.

I didn't vote in this one because I live in the US now obviously. That's probably why I never made a choice between Singh and Angus. Angus is my MP so that's probably why I hesitated, but I'm glad for Singh. The NDP is in the dark for the next decade or so either way.

jtb

Banned
Yeah, I don't really know how you "fix" the Dem leadership problem in the House. But the answer definitley isn't Hoyer or Clyburn

I don't think he's too close to the Liberals.

I didn't vote in this one because I live in the US now obviously. That's probably why I never made a choice between Singh and Angus. Angus is my MP so that's probably why I hesitated, but I'm glad for Singh. The NDP is in the dark for the next decade or so either way.
Just going by the comments of the other candidates that I saw, I'm not familiar enough with the issues to hold too strong an opinion.

Wilsongt

It's kind if ironic looking back at how we all laughed at Rombot in 2012 when he called Russia the US's biggest threat.

Now the GOP can't seem to get enough of that sweet, sweet Russian money as long as it means they control everything.

It's a shame that you'll never see Mueller and his team able to do a large sweep of the GOP and actually prosecute that many people. The American legal system has lots too much of it's power to go after crimes not committed by brown people anymore.

Lmo911

Why does it appear that the only thing we see consistently done on bipartisan grounds in American politics is the acceptance and adoption of driverless technology? This was one of the things the GOP agreed with the Obama administration on, for fuck's sake. And they hated anything else he suggested.

No one likes traffic or shitty drivers. Self driving cars are like busses without having to sit by other people. I can see a lot of cross over in that for many different reasons.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I take it there's no "Big Taxi" lobby on capital hill?

No. There used to be something like that locally in places like New York, until Uber outgrew their influence thanks to their national presence. And Uber is very invested in self driving cars. I suppose other taxi companies might think they can transition to self driving cars too. Actually owning a car, self driving or otherwise, still seems difficult in a packed city.

Can you imagine the outrage from the right if Obama were to go golfing on the weekend when a state or territory is in desperate need of aid and leadership?

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Someone has probably told him you get better ratings during a war and he will need that distraction when Mueller comes for him.

Man, it would really piss me off if things just happen to "escalate" past the point of no return right around the time the investigation starts wrapping up. Seriously wouldn't doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom