• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
This week is going to be terrible isn't it?

Right wing has already energized into painting the LV shooter as a lefty, true or not.

Trump's tweets are going to be amazing.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-cyber-russia-hpe-specialreport/special-report-hp-enterprise-let-russia-scrutinize-cyberdefense-system-used-by-pentagon-idUSKCN1C716M?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

Hewlett Packard Enterprise allowed a Russian defense agency to review the inner workings of cyber defense software used by the Pentagon to guard its computer networks, according to Russian regulatory records and interviews with people with direct knowledge of the issue.

The HPE system, called ArcSight, serves as a cybersecurity nerve center for much of the U.S. military, alerting analysts when it detects that computer systems may have come under attack. ArcSight is also widely used in the private sector.

The Russian review of ArcSight's source code, the closely guarded internal instructions of the software, was part of HPE's effort to win the certification required to sell the product to Russia's public sector, according to the regulatory records seen by Reuters and confirmed by a company spokeswoman.

what in the fuck...

HP should be removed from all governmental facilities.

furthers my thoughts that the tech the feds used needs to be buy a US government owned manufacturer, fuck outsourcing this shit. its more ap[parent than ever we need to be making our own shit

-------

this also explains how russia was ganing access to our shit, they got to tinker with the fucking source code

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-cyber-russia-hpe-specialreport/special-report-hp-enterprise-let-russia-scrutinize-cyberdefense-system-used-by-pentagon-idUSKCN1C716M?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

what in the fuck...

furthers my thoughts that the tech the feds used needs to be buy a US government owned manufacturer, fuck outsourcing this shit. its more ap[parent than ever we need to be making our own shit

-------

this also explains how russia was ganing access to our shit, they got to tinker with the fucking source code

As someone who works for a facility that does Government business.... HOW DOES THAT EVEN HAPPEN@!$>?

There is so much going wrong here. How would HP even be allowed to sell the same software to the US Government and then turn around and market it/show it off to the Russian Government. There has to be some kind of law against this, or someone at the Pentagon is going to get in a lot of trouble for not ensuring there was some kind of exclusivity clause in their contract. I do no understand how they could just be buying standard enterprise software to protect the GOD DAMN PENTAGON.

Diablos

what in the fuck...

-------

Alternate timeline: bad news for VP Fiorina!

Alternate timeline: bad news for VP Fiorina!

I mean during multiple debates and speeches she proudly exclaimed that she volunteered to help the government spy on citizens.

That aside, the shooting this morning is absolutely horrifying. I’m not even going to get into the misinformation circulating. Thoughts go out to all the victims and their loved ones.

Although I expect the GOP to do nothing, if Trump starts a nuclear war to effectively distract from the fact that he’s a petty thief who got in over his head and the GOP goes along with it, then they own this entire thing. At that point it’s not Trump it’s his enablers.

They’d rather destroy two countries and the future of Asian and global geopolitics than lose a couple of congressional posts.

They can stop this at any time.
If Trump starts nuclear war, GOP will chastise Democrats as un-American pansies who are criticizing the President in time of war instead of supporting him.

Wilsongt

If Trump starts nuclear war, GOP will chastise Democrats as un-American pansies who are criticizing the President in time of war instead of supporting him.

"why can't you librul DUMBOCRATS support the president mass murdering people with nukes instead of complaining?!"

"why can't you librul DUMBOCRATS support the president mass murdering people with nukes instead of complaining?!"

I got banned from r/Republicans for calling someone insane for suggesting we should nuke Mecca. Don't discount the amount of support the idea of just nuking countries they disagree with has. Pretty sure Trump's base would like him to just nuke the entirety of Saudi Arabia, Iran, and North Korea.
misc-fEEd.png

Wilsongt

I got banned from r/Republicans for calling someone insane for suggesting we should nuke Mecca. Don't discount the amount of support the idea of just nuking countries they disagree with has. Pretty sure Trump's base would like him to just nuke the entirety of Saudi Arabia, Iran, and North Korea.
misc-fEEd.png

If they're brown, blow them into the ground, apparently.

misc-fEEd.png

A lot of neocons are all-in on the Crusades mindset in regards to the middle east, honestly. My dad is the same way. Nuking Mecca is a pretty popular idea on the right.

Wilsongt

A lot of neocons are all-in on the Crusades mindset in regards to the middle east, honestly. My dad is the same way. Nuking Mecca is a pretty popular idea on the right.

They Crusades were over 500 years ago. You would think these people would have moved on by now.

Then again, the Civil War was 150 years ago, and, well...

AndyD

aka andydumi
As someone who works for a facility that does Government business.... HOW DOES THAT EVEN HAPPEN@!$>?

There is so much going wrong here. How would HP even be allowed to sell the same software to the US Government and then turn around and market it/show it off to the Russian Government. There has to be some kind of law against this, or someone at the Pentagon is going to get in a lot of trouble for not ensuring there was some kind of exclusivity clause in their contract. I do no understand how they could just be buying standard enterprise software to protect the GOD DAMN PENTAGON.

I work in a government agency with a budget of over 10 billion and we buy stuff off the shelf like everyone else. There's little if any thought as to "who else has it" and the risks that poses. When you say to legislators "this will cost 100 million to build in-house just for us, or we can buy it pre-made from contractor X for 20 million" it's virtually impossible to "sell" the 100 million package. And when it's pre-made you can't attach strings to it without paying the company enormous amounts for potential losses in future sales.

Every day this country reveals more and more that it's fundamentally broken. Times like this I realize just how badly I miss feeling like we had an actual leader in place.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Every day this country reveals more and more that it's fundamentally broken. Times like this I realize just how badly I miss feeling like we had an actual leader in place.

I really do wonder how much will change after this administration. Rules put in place to limit/control certain things that before were left up to honor and decency.

Mr.Mike

what in the fuck...

-------

This isn't really a big deal. If the software isn't secure against someone with full knowledge of how it works it was never secure to begin with.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerckhoffs's_principle

Kerckhoffs' principle was reformulated (or perhaps independently formulated) by American mathematician Claude Shannon as "the enemy knows the system",[1] i.e., "one ought to design systems under the assumption that the enemy will immediately gain full familiarity with them". In that form, it is called Shannon's maxim. In contrast to "security through obscurity", it is widely embraced by cryptographers.

I really do wonder how much will change after this administration. Rules put in place to limit/control certain things that before were left up to honor and decency.
Nothing will change. Republicans arent going to want to change anything, and any changes Democrats pursue will be twisted and spun as wanting to damage the Constituion and hurt America and erasing tradition. People will not care or be concerned because the left vs right attitude is accepted and expected, and because of trust in checks and balances

Looking forward to roughly half of the people who support background checks and assault weapons bans voting Republican next year anyway.

If I see the phrase “thoughts and prayers” one more time I’m going to scream.

lush

We need a push on the left to disavow CNN, shit honestly makes my blood boil the same way Fox News does at this point.

How many people does it take?

Do you consider old people who struggle to budget as extremely mentally ill?

We should just say we want to confiscate guns instead of going through this bullshit, there is no reason to assume that old people that can't budget are close to as dangerous as any young adult male in America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom