• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zona

In hyper-local political news, I'll be interested to see the results of the Nassau county executive election this November. On the way out is Ed Mangano, who was along with his wife and Oyster Bay Town Supervisor John Venditto, was "arrested and charged with conspiracy to commit bribery, fraud and obstruction of justice. Mangano is also charged with extortion, and Venditto with making false statements to federal agents."

Having worked for a local town I just received the CSEA union endorsement in the mail. They've thrown their hat in with Republican Jack Martins, though the only place I can even find the word republican on his campaign site is down in the twitter feed. Republicans dominate the town governments around here, and while I only directly experienced the Town of Hempstead I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most of the workers in these towns are also Republican. Or at least vote that way*. Honestly Hempstead at least is like a mini Republican Tammany Hall, complete with "patronage" and optional/mandatory fundraising dinners/political campaigning/rally attendance, etc.

Opposing Martins is county legislator Laura Curran whos, shockingly, making opposing corruption a big part of her campaign. What makes me both cheer for her, and seriously worry about her chances, is that's she's also making representation for women and people of color a direct part of her campaign. It's an issue that's long past due to be addressed, but she's tackling it head on on Long Island. This area's the Platonic idea of white flight. We have a Serious racism problem, we're Trump Country. Any time people say we just have the wait for the racisms to die off I want them to come here and meet the teens-20somethings I know.

I wait with bated breath** to see if the Democrat can pull it off, or if Racism and But-My-Taxes will outweigh a deeply unpopular, provably corrupt Republican incumbent tainting the parties image.

* A fact that broke my brain while I was working there and still dose. Because if there's two things the Republican party loves it's government workers and Union members.
**I'm also volunteering, obviously. Actions are better then hope.

You think Dems can actually make a run at Collins?
I should have clarified, Maine was only if the seat is open.

Although I wouldn’t be surprised if Collins does run for re-election that she wins by a slimmer margin than she’s used to. Running with a hated presidential incumbent, and split ticket voting has only gotten less and less frequent.

Pixieking

Banned
Just saw this on Twitter:

Pretty clear Hillary is now comfortable in her role as the tip of the spear. She'll say what other Dems won't to start the necessary convos.

She isn't running again, so she's willing to be the one to take the heat. It gives other Dems permission to be more vocal following her lead

The media can sense the shift in tone, but they still can't figure out why she's done it. They often say she just "doesn't care" anymore

That isn't the best possible assessment of her behavior. She's using her platform in more blunt way to ease ideas into mainstream discussion

The Dems need someone to strengthen & sharpen their rhetoric. Just because Trump is weak doesn't mean that Dems are strong.

There's an inherent value to the catharsis of her pointed comments, but there's also more hidden value in the way she inspires Dem rhetoric.

Which is in (semi) response to this:

Hillary Clinton‏Verified account @HillaryClinton 12h12 hours ago

Las Vegas, we are grieving with you—the victims, those who lost loved ones, the responders, & all affected by this cold-blooded massacre.

The crowd fled at the sound of gunshots.

Imagine the deaths if the shooter had a silencer, which the NRA wants to make easier to get.

Our grief isn't enough. We can and must put politics aside, stand up to the NRA, and work together to try to stop this from happening again.

And I'm torn between "Yeah, I can see random twitter person's point" and "Nope, what're you talking about". Like, there does seem to be a pattern forming with Hillary's recent Twitter/Facebook posts, but also, I'm not sure if the inference drawn is correct.

Ogodei

Could be she's just saying whatever she wants to, which is often on point because she's an intelligent person who gives a damn about this country.

Wilsongt

And I'm torn between "Yeah, I can see random twitter person's point" and "Nope, what're you talking about". Like, there does seem to be a pattern forming with Hillary's recent Twitter/Facebook posts, but also, I'm not sure if the inference drawn is correct.

Yeah, but Hillary should go away because she is a failure and a bitch and Bernie woulda won, y'know.

Pixieking

Banned
Yeah... I think it's going to be interesting going forward, because I think a certain portion of the population want to (almost) mythologize Hillary, whether that's consciously or subconsciously. Which is just going to make her a more divisive figure.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Of this 43% of registered voters in this survey who voted Mr. Trump, 38% would do so again, 5% would switch and vote for Democrat Hillary Rodham Clinton. Of the 38% in this survey who voted for Mrs. Clinton in 2016, 36% would do so again, but 2% would switch and vote for Mr. Trump.

Damn, this spells trouble for Trump. I wouldn't expect people to regret their vote this early, and Hillary Clinton is about the worst candidate we could have nominated lol (although she wasn't a terrible fit for NC, but was still worse than a standard democrat there).

I wonder how big the nonvoting population is though because:

Of the registered voters in this survey who sat out the 2016 election, twice as many would today vote for Mr. Trump as would vote for Mrs. Clinton.

Also Stacey Evans is 16 homes Stacey.

You’re barely trying.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah... I think it's going to be interesting going forward, because I think a certain portion of the population want to (almost) mythologize Hillary, whether that's consciously or subconsciously. Which is just going to make her a more divisive figure.

There's also part that want to feed her to the wolves no matter what she does. So either way, it's going to cause a division.

Honestly, random twitter person is making sense here. She doesn't hold public office, she's not running for anything, yet is still a big voice in American politics. If the party wants to use her to float new ideas, to see if they can gain any traction, she's probably the person to use given they have a certain amount of distance from her at this point. if it sticks they can run with it, if it doesn't they can say she doesn't speak for the party and ignore her. Plus doing it this way protects all of their elected officials, they won't have to worry about their constituents not liking it since it's not coming from them.

DTC

You’re barely trying.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this statement?

If it was in reference to the Trump vs Hillary vote now, I figured out that it was 45-44% for Trump now vs 43-38% for Trump before.

I saw the other questions but missed the Trump vs Hillary vote the first time. :p

Sigurd2990

Neo Member
In hyper-local political news, I'll be interested to see the results of the Nassau county executive election this November. On the way out is Ed Mangano, who was along with his wife and Oyster Bay Town Supervisor John Venditto, was "arrested and charged with conspiracy to commit bribery, fraud and obstruction of justice. Mangano is also charged with extortion, and Venditto with making false statements to federal agents."

Having worked for a local town I just received the CSEA union endorsement in the mail. They've thrown their hat in with Republican Jack Martins, though the only place I can even find the word republican on his campaign site is down in the twitter feed. Republicans dominate the town governments around here, and while I only directly experienced the Town of Hempstead I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most of the workers in these towns are also Republican. Or at least vote that way*. Honestly Hempstead at least is like a mini Republican Tammany Hall, complete with "patronage" and optional/mandatory fundraising dinners/political campaigning/rally attendance, etc.

Opposing Martins is county legislator Laura Curran whos, shockingly, making opposing corruption a big part of her campaign. What makes me both cheer for her, and seriously worry about her chances, is that's she's also making representation for women and people of color a direct part of her campaign. It's an issue that's long past due to be addressed, but she's tackling it head on on Long Island. This area's the Platonic idea of white flight. We have a Serious racism problem, we're Trump Country. Any time people say we just have the wait for the racisms to die off I want them to come here and meet the teens-20somethings I know.

I wait with bated breath** to see if the Democrat can pull it off, or if Racism and But-My-Taxes will outweigh a deeply unpopular, provably corrupt Republican incumbent tainting the parties image.

* A fact that broke my brain while I was working there and still dose. Because if there's two things the Republican party loves it's government workers and Union members.
**I'm also volunteering, obviously. Actions are better then hope.

I'm interested as well. Commute from Flushing to Long Island and the budget cuts to public transportation have been devastating

wutwutwut

Yeah, her main role now is shifting the Overton window.

Seen in Cleveland, MS.
qTQPUV2_d.jpg

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh did the Manafort and Cohen WaPoDroppos even register today under the crushing weight of news of mass murderer in LV? Didn’t even see an OT thread.

Ugh did the Manafort and Cohen WaPoDroppos even register today under the crushing weight of news of mass murderer in LV? Didn’t even see an OT thread.

Not really. No coverage in the news either. Worst possible day to release stuff like that for it to gain exposure. News sites should have held their stories a couple of days.

Zolo

Not really. No coverage in the news either. Worst possible day to release stuff like that for it to gain exposure. News sites should have held their stories a couple of days.

No big deal. It's still months, if not more than a year, for Mueller to wrap up his investigation.

Teggy

Yeah, Manafort getting reported doesn’t matter. Him getting put in jail by Muller on the other hand...We just have to let the process play out.

And by the way, how absolutely insane is it that javanka have a private email server they’ve sent govt emails through. Like HOW CRAZY IS THAT. WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING?!

And by the way, how absolutely insane is it that javanka have a private email server they’ve sent govt emails through. Like HOW CRAZY IS THAT. WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING?!
Arrogance. They were thinking feelsgoodman, and it probably did. Like a Fuck You to Hillary.

So I hadn't realized how bad Gillespie's fundraising has been.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...41773cd5a14_story.html?utm_term=.ada8bdf23cc1

RICHMOND — Ed Gillespie has raised considerably less money than other recent contenders for Virginia governor, despite his extraordinarily deep ties to the Republican donor class.

With a long history in national politics and a bond with an ex-president, Gillespie was expected to be the GOP version of Gov. Terry McAuliffe, the former Democratic National Committee chairman and Bill Clinton buddy who broke fundraising records with his bid four years ago.

Gillespie is a former Washington lobbyist, Republican National Committee chairman and counselor to President George W. Bush. And he’s the Republican Party’s only shot for flipping a governorship this year.

Yet Gillespie raised just $10 million through Aug. 31, well below the nearly $15 million haul of his Democratic rival, Lt. Gov. Ralph Northam — and behind what every other gubernatorial hopeful has raised for the past three cycles when those figures are adjusted for inflation, according to an analysis by the nonpartisan Virginia Public Access Project.

2300-republican-governors.jpg

Democrats say Gillespie’s fundraising reflects a lack of excitement for the candidate, who looked weak after nearly losing the June 13 primary to a provocateur styled after President Trump.

“Ed Gillespie’s fundraising mirrors the enthusiasm for his campaign: lackluster,” said Northam campaign spokeswoman Ofirah Yheskel.

Republicans say the picture is more complicated, given that several previous contenders already held public office and were able to transfer large sums from campaign accounts launched years earlier.

Some also say that Gillespie’s big money advantage coming out of the June GOP primary — he had about twice as much on hand as Northam, who spent far more heavily fighting off his challenger — might have caused donors to hold off. Northam flipped the cash advantage over the summer, with twice as much money on hand as Gillespie heading into September.

Many donors have been slow to tune in to Northam-Gillespie after last year’s tumultuous presidential elections, said Kilgore, a former state attorney general and the current finance chairman for the state GOP. He expects that to change, given polls showing a neck-and-neck contest.

“I just think people were checked out — they had protests, election fatigue,” Kilgore said. “They’re watching federal issues, and now all of a sudden they realize there’s a race. . . . I think the money will be there for Ed for sure, particularly since it’s a dead-even race. My God, everybody’s going to step up now.” (MY NOTE: It's not, lol)

Still, even some Republicans say the lagging donations reflect doubt about Gillespie’s prospects amid the head winds of a deeply unpopular president and a GOP losing streak in statewide contests that began after McDonnell won the governor’s mansion in 2009.

“You look at the numbers, you’re going to say, ‘It’s blue. It’s New Jersey. It’s gone,’ ” conservative radio host John Fredericks said. “That’s one of the problems when you lose seven statewide races in a row. . . . That has nothing to do with Ed. It’s, ‘Why should I give money to Virginia?’ ”

“Part of it’s because the Democratic base is just very incensed right now,” said former congressman Tom Davis, a moderate Northern Virginia Republican. “They’re angry and incensed and opening their wallets more than the despondent Republican base. . . . He’s running with an unpopular president and a popular Democratic governor — against a Democrat who doesn’t have any flies on him. This is not a scandal-prone Democrat, so we’ll see.”

Susan Kristol of McLean donated to the past two Republican gubernatorial nominees but said the party’s embrace of Trump inspired her to cut a $200 check for Northam.

“I’m very disappointed in the Republican Party in general and its inability to stand up to Donald Trump’s behavior and message,” said Kristol, who is married to Bill Kristol, founder of the Weekly Standard and a fierce Trump critic. “I don’t think we should keep feeding the Republican pipeline with new officeholders if all they are going to do is toe the line and agree with every one of [Trump’s] policies.”

About half of the top 20 donors for Cuccinelli and McDonnell had not donated to Gillespie as of Aug. 31, VPAP data shows. And nearly 70 percent of the 428 donors who gave at least $100 to both McDonnell and Cuccinelli by the same point in the campaign cycle have not given to Gillespie.

ALSO, LOL:

“The other side has got a lot more money because they have all this left-wing, non-Virginia money that’s poured in,” said Haley Barbour, a Republican lobbyist and former governor of Mississippi, who gave Gillespie $20,000. “But the good news is one that raises the most money doesn’t necessarily win.”

The first time we get a Dem trifecta in VA, we need to create donation limits for state races.

Puerto Rico also fell off the face of the earth today too unfortunately. They've gotten sandwiched between two mainland catastrophes.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Trump’s budget director: “We need new deficits or we won’t see 3% growth.”

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Monica Alba‏Verified account @albamonica 1m1 minute ago
More
Pres Trump on the deadliest shooting in American history: "What happened in Las Vegas is in many ways a miracle," praising police response

Uh.........

zou

If anyone wants a couple of good reads from excellent authors as to why Kevin Warsh would be a terrible Fed Chair, check these out:

http://economistsview.typepad.com/timduy/2017/01/was-kevin-warsh-really-a-fed-governor.html

https://medium.com/@sam_a_bell/jared-kushner-for-fed-chair-4d7c33817d8f

was tasked with monitoring wall street, gave a speech in 3/2007 touting derivatives for providing more liquidity and stability than ever before.
after that blew up he started obsessing about rising interest rates (in 2008). after Bear Stearns, he was still panicking about inflation. even a day after fucking lehman fell he still was harping on about inflation risks.

so obviously he's going to be nominated and confirmed...

dramatis

I relistened to The Dollop podcast about Iraq. The operation was amazingly stupid but at this point Trump's admin seems like at least an exponential power more stupid than Bush's.

I thought they were expected to rule during this term?
Yes, but the decisions aren't issued until I think May-June of next year.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom