• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like Mark Cuban went on a little 2020 tour earlier today. We’re going to see a ton of these, right?

Primary is going to be insane. Cuban and Zuckerberg on a debate stage with Booker and Harris. And Lincoln Chafee and that one guy who bragged about killing someone.

Stupid Watergate.

Thing is though, this ain't the hard part.

US votes against UN resolution condemning gay sex death penalty, joining Iraq and Saudi Arabia
America one of 13 countries on Human Rights Council to oppose historic vote

PaperTowelGate aside, this administration literally just condoned the death penalty for gay people.
Explain to me again how its unfair to compare them to Nazis?

Don't come back to this state, girl. Ever.

When Schumer and Pelosi both dealt with Trump for the DACA / debt ceiling extension, did anyone besides the most ignorant far left of the party get upset? Hasn't Bernie said the same damn things regarding working with Trump?

There's a difference in working on un-American positions (see above and Sessions' little projects at the DoJ) and taking advantage of serendipity when the baboon decides to stab both factions of the GOP in the back in a tiff.

Looks like Mark Cuban went on a little 2020 tour earlier today. We’re going to see a ton of these, right?

Primary is going to be insane. Cuban and Zuckerberg on a debate stage with Booker and Harris. And Lincoln Chafee and that one guy who bragged about killing someone.
Remember when the GOP had an undercard debate and Fiorina got fake hype from one of them? good times.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/03/politics/russian-facebook-ads-michigan-wisconsin/index.html

A number of Russian-linked Facebook ads specifically targeted Michigan and Wisconsin, two states crucial to Donald Trump's victory last November, according to four sources with direct knowledge of the situation.

Some of the Russian ads appeared highly sophisticated in their targeting of key demographic groups in areas of the states that turned out to be pivotal, two of the sources said. The ads employed a series of divisive messages aimed at breaking through the clutter of campaign ads online, including promoting anti-Muslim messages, sources said.

Shocker of all shockers.

Crocodile

San Jaun Mayor is going in (politely) on Trump right now on Maddow (hosted by Joy Reid)

I expect Trump tweetstorm tomorrow morning >_<

tbm24

San Jaun Mayor is going in (politely) on Trump right now on Maddow (hosted by Joy Reid)

I expect Trump tweetstorm tomorrow morning >_<
She should go in on that congresswoman that lapped up Trump’s feet the entire visit. What a disgrace. Selfies and all.

Cuban isn't even a Democrat, why would he run in a Democratic primary where he'd have zero chance?

Kusagari

Cuban endorsed a health care system similar to the NHS a couple months ago.

I think he’s a real threat if he runs unlike Zuckerbot.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Cuban endorsed a health care system similar to the NHS a couple months ago.

I think he’s a real threat if he runs unlike Zuckerbot.

I don't think so. I keep saying it, but after 4 years of Trump people might well be looking for a return to competence and not a left-wing Trump.

Michigan and Wisconsin should have never been as close as they were, and that’s largely on the Clinton campaign. You still have to wonder what kind of impact these external factors had. ~30k votes across two states is not a lot.

Edit. I definitely think Cuban runs, and as a Democrat. I don’t think he gets far at all though.

Ryuuroden

So does all of liberal gaf know yet that the Young Turks is a republican funded fake liberal trap to sow dissent in the democratic party. I mean it should be obvious now after they blamed Obama for the Vegas shooting yesterday. I mean they been getting millions of dollars from Republican financiers since 2014. They are disgusting.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So does all of liberal gaf know yet that the Young Turks is a republican funded fake liberal trap to sow dissent in the democratic party. I mean it should be obvious now after they blamed Obama for the Vegas shooting yesterday. I mean they been getting millions of dollars from Republican financiers since 2014. They are disgusting.

They did what now?

sangreal

I don't think so. I keep saying it, but after 4 years of Trump people might well be looking for a return to competence and not a left-wing Trump.

I don't know about that. Obama won after 8 years of Dubya despite being much less qualified than Hillary or McCain

(I don't at all mean this as a slight against Obama)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't know about that. Obama won after 8 years of Dubya despite being much less qualified than Hillary or McCain

(I don't at all mean this as a slight against Obama)

Obama was special. He was a once in a generation figure. No one we're talking about is anywhere near his level.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

sangreal

Conservative business man Mark Cuban is not Bernie Sanders.

Bernie Sanders had literally zero mainstream following before 2016. There wasn't anything special about him. My point is just that running for a party you don't associate with or agree with isn't a death sentence anymore. Forget Bernie, ask President Donald Trump.

Or Bloomberg, or any number of rich people that have converted parties just to win an election

"Hundreds of thousands of voters in each state skewed by influx of racist shit from Russia designed to disrupt society and turn people against Democrats" does sound like it would be a hard thing to poll, and even if you could determining that that swayed anyone specifically. In other words, just add this to the list of "this specific thing didn't change the outcome of the election but it sure as hell didn't help."

Still wouldn't explain Feingold vs Johnson! That's an outlier of the election I don't think we'll ever have a proper answer for.

And lol, "I'm not blaming Obama for the shooting, but I'm totally blaming Obama." Disappointed TYT survived 2016.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
"Hundreds of thousands of voters in each state skewed by influx of racist shit from Russia designed to disrupt society and turn people against Democrats" does sound like it would be a hard thing to poll, and even if you could determining that that swayed anyone specifically. In other words, just add this to the list of "this specific thing didn't change the outcome of the election but it sure as hell didn't help."

Still wouldn't explain Feingold vs Johnson! That's an outlier of the election I don't think we'll ever have a proper answer for.

And lol, "I'm not blaming Obama for the shooting, but I'm totally blaming Obama." Disappointed TYT survived 2016.

I'm still super sad about the Feingold race.
wtf Wisconsin.

Bernie Sanders had literally zero mainstream following before 2016. There wasn't anything special about him. My point is just that running for a party you don't associate with or agree with isn't a death sentence anymore. Forget Bernie, ask President Donald Trump.

Or Bloomberg, or any number of rich people that have converted parties just to win an election

I don't see what constituency Mark Cuban would have in a Democratic primary. It's not just a matter of the label, his politics and brand aren't going to appeal. His pro-business centrism is not with the mood of the party at all, he's the very opposite of Bernie in that regard.

Drakeon

I don't see what constituency Mark Cuban would have in a Democratic primary. It's not just a matter of the label, his politics and brand aren't going to appeal. His pro-business centrism is not with the mood of the party at all, he's the very opposite of Bernie in that regard.
If he's more charismatic then his competition, it won't matter.

Emarv

Can we just put all of these business dudes in their own little party and primaries so I don't have to pay attention to them in 2019?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
US votes against UN resolution condemning gay sex death penalty, joining Iraq and Saudi Arabia
America one of 13 countries on Human Rights Council to oppose historic vote

PaperTowelGate aside, this administration literally just condoned the death penalty for gay people.
Explain to me again how its unfair to compare them to Nazis?

The headline did end up being hyperbolic, but less hyperbolic than I was hoping for.

I guess they took most offense at "Welcoming the fact that many States are applying a moratorium on the use of the death penalty", and that it calls upon states that have yet to sign onto a protocol aiming at the abolition of the death penalty "to consider doing so". But I can't help but wonder if they were also taking offense to the parts saying it shouldn't be used disproportionately along class or racial lines, or used on the mentally ill.

In a statement defending the vote, the secretary of state's office did say they "condemn the use of the death penalty for conduct such as homosexuality, blasphemy, adultery, and apostasy". However they did not address the other stuff in the resolution that might be seen as condemning the things that the US does.

http://www.snopes.com/2017/10/03/united-nations-ban-death-penalty/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom