• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, would I rather have Biden/Gillibrand? Sure. But Oprah would be fine. She is a brilliant woman and would surround herself with good people.

I generally agree, she's obviously brilliant and capable, but I do wonder how could we know if she has decent judgment. It's hard when you're looking at someone who's spent so much time and effort crafting her public image. I don't reflexively dismiss her, but does she have anything we can call a record? Has she ever presented discernible views on domestic or foreign policy? Are there times she's done things risky to herself on behalf of a policy priority or cause that's important to her?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I think the trend of majority public opinion heading towards 2020 will be "well, that businessman/reality star didn't turn out so great, maybe we do need a professional politician after all."

Personally I don't want any celebrities running in 2020. Except The Rock, to primary Trump and literally physically smash him during a debate.

Right, which is why I think Biden and Sanders have a distinct advantage heading into the primaries.

I generally agree, she's obviously brilliant and capable, but I do wonder how could we know if she has decent judgment. It's hard when you're looking at someone who's spent so much time and effort crafting her public image. I don't reflexively dismiss her, but does she have anything we can call a record? Has she ever presented discernible views on domestic or foreign policy? Are there times she's done things risky to herself on behalf of a policy priority or cause that's important to her?
She's a black woman who rose up from poverty and abuse to become the most famous black person in the world, until Obama came into the picture, and the first black woman billionaire and the only black billionaire for awhile.

That's quite a different life story than "born into riches and stumbled over himself his entire life, accidentally making some money sometimes, but mostly losing it"

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Also, it often gets lost among Trump's many other horrible qualities, but his presidency has shown us how nearly impossible it is for a billionaire mogul of multiple industries to ethically run the government.

I have absolutely no doubt Oprah would do a much better job than Trump (who didn't even try) of extricating herself from her business, but I'm equally certain that with as many ties as she has she would still fall into some legal/ethical quagmires.

With the Democratic Party having just spent 4 years criticizing Trump over the same thing, it seems like a bad play.

Ernest

Banned
Just days earlier, Tillerson had openly disparaged the president, referring to him as a “moron,” after a July 20 meeting at the Pentagon with members of Trump’s national security team and Cabinet officials, according to three officials familiar with the incident.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/wh...ury-trump-required-intervention-pence-n806451
This was bound to happen.

Agree with Trump's guys or not, people like Tillerson, McMaster and Kelly are fairly smart, no nonsense dudes, and obviously they gotta think that Trump is a fucking idiot. And it must be killing them that he's president and that they have to work for such a shitheel.

The few smart guys he can get are gonna keep bouncing out of his administration, and he'll have no one left.

This was bound to happen.

Agree with Trump's guys or not, people like Tillerson, McMaster and Kelly are fairly smart, no nonsense dudes, and obviously they gotta think that Trump is a fucking idiot. And it must be killing them that he's president and that they have to work for such a shitheel.

The few smart guys he can get are gonna keep bouncing out of his administration, and he'll have no one left.

Kelly is extremely not smart and Tillerson is way too lazy to be called no nonsense.

Yeah, I'm not getting the Oprah hate here.

1. She's clearly in favor of democratic policies.
2. She gives millions to the poor and needy.
3. She has a colossal legion of fans spanning all cultures.
4. She is a black woman, and Trump losing to both a minority and a female would be amazing and a huge blow to his supporters.
5. She is incredibly likeable.

She is easily the best choice of any celebrity running.
http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/mothers-battle-autism/1
http://blog.labguru.com/blog-labguru/austism-vaccines-and-the-oprah-effect
http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-ways-oprah-winfrey-changed-world-for-worse/
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friend...pastor-john-gray-in-new-eight-episode-series/

That's why

Most disturbingly, Mnookin documents how the news and entertainment industry abetted McCarthy's dangerous campaign. One of the chief offenders is Oprah Winfrey, who exposed her huge television audience to McCarthy, treating her as an expert on autism because she had "mommy instinct.... She knows what she's talking about," Oprah advised her fans.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hil...antivaxxer-public-menace-20150127-column.html
Yup. Her views on pseudoscience are dumb but who the fuck cares in the end. She ticks all the boxes.

She has no political experience, but a ton of business experience. We would have the first major party candidate in history who is a self-made billionaire and philanthropist.

Because believing in pseudoscience is dangerous as fuck?

Crocodile

Where can one contribute to the Northam campaign? I might as well do non-zero things to help even if I'm not in the state.

Gillibrand might be great but she just ran so

I feel like the State of New York would be more than willing and eager to swap a good New Yorker for a shitty New Yorker in the WH as a form of penance.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Oprah is the answer to "can you name a mystical person of color with a lot of name recognition and generally identifiable liberal positions who is doing millions of dollars of good with charities but would be much less effective in government?"

See: Bill Gates and Warren Buffet for the non-POC division.

I know we're dreaming here but we should be talking about Michelle, who is both qualified and would win in a landslide. Not Oprah.

She's a black woman who rose up from poverty and abuse to become the most famous black person in the world, until Obama came into the picture, and the first black woman billionaire and the only black billionaire for awhile.

That's quite a different life story than "born into riches and stumbled over himself his entire life, accidentally making some money sometimes, but mostly losing it"

I'm not comparing her to Trump; I'm comparing her to other democratic politicians with clear public positions and voting records. Not that they don't cultivate their images, but you can get a sense of their judgment and their personal priorities from the work they've done and the times they've put themselves out there. I felt like I had a sense of the judgment of Hillary, Obama, Biden, Bernie, Kerry, etc from their record and statements well before I voted for or against them. With Oprah I'm not sure what there is to go on. And as a principle, we've seen what happens with a billionaire norm-breaker as president. Trump's a dumb asshole, but part of the reason he doesn't respect the norms and institutions of the presidency is because he's a billionaire outsider who doesn't value the presidency as a goal the way a typical politician does. Oprah is already a billionaire at the height of success. She might not care for norms, either. Outsider billionaire candidates legitimately need to answer a lot of questions before the public should feel comfortable about them, IMO.

sphagnum

Banned
lol democrats

For Gods sake, we shouldn't be seriously considering Oprah or any other celebrities. If Oprah wants to get into politics she should run for a lower office first, not fucking president.

Wilsongt

lol democrats

For Gods sake, we shouldn't be seriously considering Oprah or any other celebrities. If Oprah wants to get into politics she should run for a lower office first, not fucking president.

You seem to forget about Donald Trump just sashaying his orange ass into the oval office.

The rules don't apply anymore.

To Republicans, anyway.

Blader

Right, which is why I think Biden and Sanders have a distinct advantage heading into the primaries.

That would be quite the coup, convincing voters he is the consummate professional politician four years after telling voters he is the ultimate anti-establishment outsider.

lol democrats

Very true. I am fairly risk-averse, so handing the nomination to someone who's in their first run for office feels like a really unnecessary risk to take.

Crooked media is pivoting to "print" finally.

Brian Beutler is joining as editor-in-chief. Really enjoyed Lovett's first column though at https://crooked.com/article/the-death-loop/
Brian Beutler is great! I was wondering why he hadn't don't any podcasts for TNR lately.

CCS

Banned
US politics may be great, but your conference speeches have nothing on ours :p

Our Prime Minister just accepted our version of a pink slip and then had the sign she was standing in front of fall to pieces.

We're getting some juciy bits today:

Hill investigators to tell public what they've learned about Russia's interference and what happens next

Senate intelligence committee leaders on Wednesday plan to detail the conclusions they've already drawn in their months-long investigation into Russia's meddling into the 2016 US election -- and what they plan to do about it.

The committee teased that news was coming in its advisory about the news conference, but Burr was cagey about what he planned to say.
"Good things come to those who wait, so I'll let you wait until 12:15 to get an update on the progress of the investigation," Burr told reporters.

lol democrats

Running a celebrity in 2020 seems like the party having impeccably bad timing two elections in a row.

The thing about the SC, is that the liberal and conservative justices are nice to each other, and outside of court, they seem to actually be friends. Ginsburg may have seriously disagreed with Scalia on basically everything, but outside of the court, they were on friendly terms. They considered each other to be "best friends"

Gorsuch doesn't seem to realize this, and it's going to hurt his influence on the court. Nobody wants to work with an ass. He also has a lot to prove, considering he's the junior on the court and the way he got his seat was pretty dubious, if not insulting to the court. He's pretty much acting how a modern Republican acts. Condescending, thinks they know the best, hostile to other people who don't agree with them. That doesn't really work that well on the court.

He never learned about James McReynolds

The thing about the SC, is that the liberal and conservative justices are nice to each other, and outside of court, they seem to actually be friends. Ginsburg may have seriously disagreed with Scalia on basically everything, but outside of the court, they were on friendly terms. They considered each other to be "best friends"

Gorsuch doesn't seem to realize this, and it's going to hurt his influence on the court. Nobody wants to work with an ass. He also has a lot to prove, considering he's the junior on the court and the way he got his seat was pretty dubious, if not insulting to the court. He's pretty much acting how a modern Republican acts. Condescending, thinks they know the best, hostile to other people who don't agree with them. That doesn't really work that well on the court.
Reminds me of what Al Franken wrote about Rand Paul in his latest book. Every newbie senator shadows a senator from each party for a little while who kind of shows them the ropes and gives them advice. Paul got Franken and Kay Bailey Hutchinson and evidently listened to neither of them and actively disrespected both of them. The contrast between Franken’s nervous jitters early on about being the “celebrity senator” and trying to shed that by being respectful and taking things seriously, to Paul’s “fuck you I’m better than you” is pretty amusing.

Knowing some of the conservative dweebs I went to high school with I’m sure this is exactly how some of them would act in a position of power. Hell, it’s how they still act right now. Like you said, condescending, know-it-all, anyone who disagrees is an idiot (as opposed to you know, someone who interprets data differently, or more often actually considers the data over preconceived ideology).

I think Ted Cruz is the pinnacle of this attitude moreso. At least Paul stands by his principles sometimes.

As others have pointed out, there's good reason to suspect that being a celebrity with no political experience will be a liability after four years of Trump. But even if it isn't, the goal isn't just to win the election, but also to elect someone who will actually do the job well. It's very important to nominate someone who's actually qualified to hold the office.

Burr today: "TRUMP INNOCENT! TOTALLY!"

First report. The House is doing fuck all apparently at this point.

I think that's a misread of Burr.

Either Tillerson's quitting or Trump yelled at him to go on National TV and say what a great guy he is.

Agreed. We are about to either see a man stand up for his principles or debase himself and his office by sniveling lying. Going by the history of this Admin, I'm leaning towards the latter.

Knowing some of the conservative dweebs I went to high school with I’m sure this is exactly how some of them would act in a position of power. Hell, it’s how they still act right now. Like you said, condescending, know-it-all, anyone who disagrees is an idiot (as opposed to you know, someone who interprets data differently, or more often actually considers the data over preconceived ideology).

I think Ted Cruz is the pinnacle of this attitude moreso. At least Paul stands by his principles sometimes.

I don't know if any of you were on the debate team in high school like me, or if you went to -- ahem -- debate camp. But yeah, Ted Cruz is like the platonic ideal of a specific sort of patronizing, insincere, deceitful asshole debater. It was no surprise to me whatsoever when I found out he was a college debater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom