• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
If your position is that what Russia did wasn't illegal and/or that significant because they didn't technically hack any election devices and/or switch votes, you've gotten every part of this wrong. And more than that, I would advise you not to be making any bets.

*takes up day drinking*

Methinks this GOP civil war is in as large a part about them not putting the kibbosh on investigations as it is about failure to put out R&R and Brownbackian tax reform...

The Burr/Warner press conference on the progress of the Senate Intel Committee's Russia probe is coming up shortly: https://www.c-span.org/video/?435050-1/senators-burr-warner-hold-news-conference-russia-probe&live

*takes another shot of Gentleman Jack*

Ogodei

What the hell is this?

You realize what the job of the president actually is correct? It’s commander in chief. Of course a decorated official or someone with a lot of experience in the military is more qualified to lead the military than a random actor or reality tv star...

This isn’t about random military warship. It’s about being prepared for the job. The majority of the powers of the presidency involve foreign policy and control over our armed forces. If you want to become president you should invest in public service. The military is a branch of that. I didn’t say that was the only way, either. Just a more legitimate path than “businessman” we can’t just keep having random celebrities running for the highest office out of an ego trip. At least joint the military of being a senator/governor shows you are serious. Al Franken is qualified to run now. He wouldn’t have been over a decade ago.

Really being President nowadays is just about being a good delegater and manager of people. The fictitious Trump portrayed on the Apprentice would have been a competent president because he was all about judging who was doing a good job, who was just getting dealt a bad hand, and who was actually doing a bad job and needed to be fired.

I feel like if you've ever been in a high-level administrative or managerial role of any kind you're meeting the basic qualifications for the presidency, whether that's an Admiral/General, congress, a cabinet position, or yes, private sector experience.

The main issue with the private sector vs government is the authoritarian nature of most private sector positions (Clooney had an interview recently where he talked about working with unions as a director, whereas most private sector leaders nowadays don't have powerful stakeholders who can obstruct/resist them to deal with, and their expectations hit a wall coming to government).

Having policy knowledge helps, but at the end of the day you could be as ignorant of foreign policy as Trump is and get by if you have an eye for hiring good people and know how to listen (neither of which Trump can do).

Vixdean

Man, I knew this administration would be a shit show, but the intensity and speed at which it's unraveling is just shocking.

Really being President nowadays is just about being a good delegater and manager of people.

Having policy knowledge helps, but at the end of the day you could be as ignorant of foreign policy as Trump is and get by if you have an eye for hiring good people and know how to listen (neither of which Trump can do).

I don't really agree. W was an idiot but he was right about one thing, the President is the Decider in Chief. When it comes to the really tough decisions, no cabinet member or agency head is going to make the final call. The President does have to become a domain expert in a number of areas to be able to do their job correctly. Obama was literally studying nuclear physics textbooks during the negotiations with Iran. That's why Trump is such a disaster, he's just too fucking stupid and lazy to be able to make good decisions.

Surfinn

Fuck. Burr just said the committee has hit a wall with the Steele dossier. Said there have been no answers to their requests for interviews/more information.

Hopefully that means Mueller is getting everything from him instead.

Fuck. Burr just said the committee has hit a wall with the Steele dossier. Said there have been no answers to their requests for interviews/more information.

I wouldn't sweat it, I would also imagine this means Mueller is digging in.

I wouldn't want to talk to them either

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Burr says that they have been able to confirm / vet all of the Steele dossier back to June 2016, but not anything before that date.

Aside: Steele not answering their call says more about this committee than it does about the dossier, I think.

He also said that they had been able to reverse engineer the Dossier to a certain date, which I found quite interesting.

Burr says that they have been able to confirm / vet all of the Steele dossier back to June 2016, but not anything before that date.

Aside: Steele not answering their call says more about this committee than it does about the dossier, I think.

EXCUSE ME.

Dude, if it's true until then, its all true. Let's be real here.

Emarv

In a normal world, imagine a Senate member of the same party as the president saying they are still not ruling out collusion with a foreign adversary in an election. Crazy we're here and that this all feels baked in.

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump

An interesting cartoon that is circulating.

B0kI6vMIgAEW2Gl.png

A TWEET FOR EVERYTHING

Technically he's not lying, Russians did attempt to divide the left by pushing Stein and Sanders. He's a giant fucking asshole thinking it was anywhere near as effective as straight up backing Trump though.

Surfinn

Technically he's not lying, Russians did attempt to divide the left by pushing Stein and Sanders. He's a giant fucking asshole thinking it was anywhere near as effective as straight up backing Trump though.

Well what he's saying is technically true but extremely misleading. As if they didn't have an agenda to heavily favor Trump over Hillary.

Larry Hogan in Maryland has good approval ratings, but polls below 50% in specific matchups against Democrats

http://2qtvrz46wjcg34jx1h1blgd2.wpe...ploads/2017/10/Mason-Dixon-MD-Poll-9-2017.pdf

I’ve often conflated Hogan and Baker in my head as popular blue state GOP governors who will probably sail to reelection, but while I haven’t seen anything that makes me think Baker is beatable, this proves Hogan is. Could easily end up being a case where the electorate likes him well enough, but is too partisan to actually keep him.

kirblar

Larry Hogan in Maryland has good approval ratings, but polls below 50% in specific matchups against Democrats

http://2qtvrz46wjcg34jx1h1blgd2.wpe...ploads/2017/10/Mason-Dixon-MD-Poll-9-2017.pdf

I've often conflated Hogan and Baker in my head as popular blue state GOP governors who will probably sail to reelection, but while I haven't seen anything that makes me think Baker is beatable, this proves Hogan is. Could easily end up being a case where the electorate likes him well enough, but is too partisan to actually keep him.
Ben Jealous
Why would you do this to your kid when naming them.

Hogan having the "like but not love" problem in potential wave elections makes sense, given he got in mostly cause people loathed O'Malley.

Blader

I’ve often conflated Hogan and Baker in my head as popular blue state GOP governors who will probably sail to reelection, but while I haven’t seen anything that makes me think Baker is beatable, this proves Hogan is. Could easily end up being a case where the electorate likes him well enough, but is too partisan to actually keep him.

Baker is going to cruise through re-election next year, which is really frustrating. But he hasn't been too terrible, and his commitment to funding PP if Congress eliminates federal funding and joining Bloomberg's climate alliance were good steps. Of course he's been plenty cowardly on other things, but what can you do.

Surfinn

Talking heads are now going to start using Burr's statement that Russia was just try to sow chaos and were trying to affect both sides.

Yup. They're gunna take this as a win and say that Russia was indiscriminately trying to divide the country with no preference for who would win.

Baker is going to cruise through re-election next year, which is really frustrating. But he hasn't been too terrible, and his commitment to funding PP if Congress eliminates federal funding and joining Bloomberg's climate alliance were good steps. Of course he's been plenty cowardly on other things, but what can you do.
Baker is ultimately pretty harmless in the face of a Dem supermajority.

I mean, we should still recruit a decent candidate. MA is too blue to let a full blowout occur like what happened when Dems whiffed on the NV/OH gubernatorial races in 2014, but better safe than sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom