• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand what the purpose of that press conference was. The headline now is "TILLERSON REFUSES TO DENY HE CALLED TRUMP A MORON".

That's not very good! Unless, of course, he's just daring Trump to fire him.

It backfired swimmingly on Donny, just like most of his shit does.

Everything can't fucking be Russia jesus.

I actually was at a book talk yesterday by Masha Gessen (name a more expert person on Russia?) and that was her overriding point - we don't fucking know what Russia did, so far nothing reported has been illegal (with respect to the affecting the election - e.g., they basically used nefarious and illegal hacks to influence public opinion), and its really just driving the left into conspiratorial madness.

Huh, you usually do a more coherent job hand waving Russia. Have you not had your coffee yet?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This of all communities should realize why electing a celebrity with no political experience to the presidency is a bad idea.

I don't think anybody here is saying they actually want this--just that she'd be the best choice of the bunch.

Emarv

Seems likely that Pence and Mattis were begging him to stay for stability and that means having to prostrate himself on TV.

Ok so correct me if I'm wrong about this but does anyone remember an article about how NPR was going easier on Trump overall? I wanted to show it to my wife who seemed flabbergasted at first but now is somewhat starting to see it when she listens.
Whenever I want to hear what the CATO Institute, Heritage Foundation, American Enterprise Institute, etc. think about the day's events, I turn on NPR. It frustrates me that their method is, "Here are the facts. A liberal would just agree that those are the facts, so here is a conservative to tell you their contrary opinion."
I've been deliberately avoiding looking for the picture of Paddock's suicide, so of course I would see it in someone's comments. And from someone peddling the "he was a secret ISIS/Antifa plant" as well.

PBY

Banned
I'd say hacking or attempting to hack state election systems is pretty fucking illegal.

And giving anything of value to the Trump campaign, such as oppo research, is not illegal but the Trump campaign accepting it is.

CNN in on the fun:

Jason Seher‏Verified account
@jhseher
Follow
More Jason Seher Retweeted Bradley P. Moss, Esq
Source confirms to CNN Tillerson did call the President a "moron," & that President Trump was aware Tillerson spoke of him in such a way

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I'd say hacking or attempting to hack state election systems is pretty fucking illegal.

And giving anything of value to the Trump campaign, such as oppo research, is not illegal but the Trump campaign accepting it is.
My guess is the culmination of this will be the revelation that Trump asked the Russians (privately.not just publicly on the stump lol) to hack Clinton’s emails from the private server.

Him being too stupid to know there was nothing they could actually hack since the server had been offline for months or years at that point.

And I’m pretty sure it is a crime to ask a foreign agent/government to commit a crime on their behalf.
Edit: if not it should be ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Blader

That was her point, not mine. But I agree - ultimately, they did do illegal shit to sway public opinion. But swaying public opinion isn't illegal - more specifically, they didn't hack voting machines and flip votes.

That's her position too, so take it up w/ her. http://www.nybooks.com/daily/2017/03/06/trump-russia-conspiracy-trap/

Interfering in another country's election to sow misinformation and influence public opinion isn't illegal?

Her pseudo science shit make me question that greatly.

If we're talking celebs Clooney at least seems to have some grasp on things.

I don't know why Clooney doesn't run for Congress.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Her pseudo science shit make me question that greatly.

If we're talking celebs Clooney at least seems to have some grasp on things.

Oh, I agree about Clooney, but I was only thinking of celebrities who have actually been listed or hinted at as considering running.

Jonathan Martin‏Verified account @jmartNYT 7m7 minutes ago
More
Corker unplugged: tells press in capitol Rex, Mattis are standing in breach against "chaos" & carps that others in admin undermining Rex

Wow

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
That was her point, not mine. But I agree - ultimately, they did do illegal shit to sway public opinion. But swaying public opinion isn't illegal - more specifically, they didn't hack voting machines and flip votes.

That's her position too, so take it up w/ her. http://www.nybooks.com/daily/2017/03/06/trump-russia-conspiracy-trap/

This is one of your more ridiculous positions. And remember, we're talking about YOU here.

Russia has not only done a bunch of demonstrably illegal stuff, they've been sanctioned for doing it multiple times. And they're STILL doing it. And it IS illegal. This isn't some proxy freedom of speech issue, it's actual crimes.

So your going to bring up something, say you agree with it, but then when you need to defend it, you just tell people to go email some random author who isn't going to respond to them?

Blader

Despite the back-and-forth between Trump and Tillerson, White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said earlier this week that the president retained confidence in his secretary of state.

Oh, so I guess Rex is resigning after all.

Hey guys, remember when Corker hinted at something big he had to do before he left office?
“Surely this will make up for that time I accused my African-American political opponent of soliciting the services of prostitutes”

I usually roll my eyes at pretend moderate stuff like this but it does seem like Corker’s loosened his tongue a bit since announcing his retirement. Obviously he’s still a Republican, but he’s also just clearly had it with Trump and his bullshit. If he wants to sink the tax cut bill and help Mueller, be my guest.

Whenever I want to hear what the CATO Institute, Heritage Foundation, American Enterprise Institute, etc. think about the day's events, I turn on NPR. It frustrates me that their method is, "Here are the facts. A liberal would just agree that those are the facts, so here is a conservative to tell you their contrary opinion."

I've been deliberately avoiding looking for the picture of Paddock's suicide, so of course I would see it in someone's comments. And from someone peddling the "he was a secret ISIS/Antifa plant" as well

Same. I saw it on facebook and now twitter. How the hell do both sites immediately not put a filter on that image. Infuriating

You need to update your material. That wasn't the goal. The goal was to hack voter registries and assure that people couldn't vote.

If you've just been mindlessly parroting someone else's opinion, what's your actual position?

God, fucking, no. This isn't Starship Troopers and the last thing I want to see this country turn into is some kind of caste system where the only way you receive the full benefits of society is if you serve the military.

Frankly, this is a tangent, I got pissed on facebook when someone shared one of these "like if you agree all vets should get healthcare." I mean, I do agree, however, I do not think that serving the military should entitle you to an elevated existence over the rest of your countrymen, it creates a warped society where for you your country's great, they'll take care of your school, your health, it is worth fighting for but that's not really the country you're serving because just outside the vast majority of your countrymen are struggling to pay for their healthcare or secondary education while they fund yours and for them, no, it's not a country worth fighting for. Just fuck that. If you think the military should get something so should the civilians and vice-versa.
What the hell is this?

You realize what the job of the president actually is correct? It’s commander in chief. Of course a decorated official or someone with a lot of experience in the military is more qualified to lead the military than a random actor or reality tv star...

This isn’t about random military warship. It’s about being prepared for the job. The majority of the powers of the presidency involve foreign policy and control over our armed forces. If you want to become president you should invest in public service. The military is a branch of that. I didn’t say that was the only way, either. Just a more legitimate path than “businessman”.. we can’t just keep having random celebrities running for the highest office out of an ego trip. At least joining the military or being a senator/governor shows you are serious. Al Franken is qualified to run now. He wouldn’t have been over a decade ago.

...Why are you even here if this is how you're going to handle discussions? Like seriously, why are you here? If all you're doing is parroting someone else's points and when called on it, instead of even attempting to defend it, just admit to parroting and tell us to take it up with the person you're parroting, why are you even here? You're the one that's a member of this site, posting here, not her. So if all you're doing is parroting someone else's points and telling us to "take it up with her" when called on it, why even stick around? What are you adding to this site? I don't get this at all. How pointless.

The Politico article seems to suggest that it will be recommendations for election security going forward /shrug

Might be more though they didn't have specifics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom